General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at Beaverdam Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at Beaverdam - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wake Forest, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 42m 42s
Overall Rank = 81/183
Age Group = 41-45 Male
Age Group Rank = 15/21
Pre-race routine:

My first Olympic! Last year, I signed up for an Olympic, but it was converted to a Du because of weather. This was a local race with a late 9 AM start time so I was able to sleep in, have a couple of protein bars, some coffee, and hit the road.
Event warmup:

Sadly very little. Despite getting there early, I didn't really do much other than wade into the water during the national anthem to fill my wetsuit and test my googles.
Swim
  • 33m 12s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first Olympic swim in a lake I normally train in. While that should have made it better, my training is usually just out and back a couple of hundred yards, rest, and repeat. The buoys looked impossibly far out! Still, I felt pretty good about the swim. Last year, this was by far my worst event and I feel like I'm at least not getting left way behind swimming now. I felt pretty great during it and am now confident I can tackle the 1.2 miles in a few weeks.
What would you do differently?:

I could stand to sight a little more. I do a decent job of this approaching the buoys but not when they are far off. Also, next time I'll wear new goggles. I just bought some but they are smoke lenses and it was very cloudy out. I wore my old clear ones which were digging into my head in a painful way by the end. Also, despite Body Glide, I got some series rubbing just above my left armpit. Next time I might actually put some tape or something on there.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

The wetsuit strippers were nice! Much, much faster than last week in T1. I tend to like the parking lot TA rather than grass. T1 was 88/183 overall, 13/21 in age group and 49/113 for men.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 10s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Stupid bike continues to be my weakness. Overall, I'm not unhappy with my average speed given the hilly course, but there were some seriously fast people out there. I feel like I'm pushing hard, but just not able to turn effort into speed. From my what I've read, it just takes time. I think I'm going to start using the trainer exclusively for my mid-week workouts to see if that helps build power. Gender 85/113. Also, it was odd that at one point vehicle traffic was merged with bike traffic on a hill such that a car was following a cyclist but then was getting passed by other cyclists. Traffic control could have been better.

Continue training?
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I wasn't messing around. Racked my bike, chucked my shoes and glasses, grabbed a hat and was off. 9 of 21 age group, 38/113 men, 51/183 overall. I was just happy to be off of the bike because I knew the run would be my best event.

nothing.
Run
  • 47m 29s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

One advantage to being way better at the run than the bike is that anyone that was going to pass me had already done so. Literally no one passed me on the run and I passed more than I could count. I felt like the 70.3 training helped me more in this run than the sprint. I was really happy to be able to hold a < 8 min mile on a hilly course for 6 miles. I felt great and finished the downhill run to the finish line at a wide open sprint, rocketing past a final competitor on the way. 60/113 men

nothing. Run was very good.
Post race
Warm down:

Headed to the snack tent and was badly disappointed! One of the race sponsors was an excellent middle-eastern place that had provided food for an FS Series race last fall. This time, it was just cold pizza - boo!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike. Most of the race is on the bike, and it's really holding me back.

Event comments:

Beautiful location was a great run course (if hilly). Falls Lake was the perfect temperature for a wetsuit.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:12 | 1500 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/21
Overall: 107/183
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:10 | 24 miles | 18.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 115/183
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:29 | 06.2 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/21
Overall: 41/183
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-05-01 2:25 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at Beaverdam

2016-05-02 12:57 PM
in reply to: #5179775

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at Beaverdam

Nice race! Beaverdam was my first tri ever :-D

2016-05-03 8:55 AM
in reply to: #5179775

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at Beaverdam

Nice job!  It sounds like your swim is progressing and  your run is great, and while I'm not familiar with the course/elevation, 18.xx mph on a hilly course doesn't sound bad at all.  Very good T2 as well.  Keep working on the bike, you'll get where you want to be.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at Beaverdam Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Inside Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam

Started by jmkizer
Views: 1534 Posts: 2

2010-04-12 2:48 PM hrliles

Started by karstens11
Views: 948 Posts: 1

2010-04-11 11:34 AM karstens11

Inside Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at Beaverdam

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 1091 Posts: 1

2009-07-26 9:18 PM jbrenneman

Started by Robo
Views: 1096 Posts: 1

2009-04-28 6:27 PM Robo

Started by tahrens
Views: 1680 Posts: 6

2009-04-21 12:49 PM Havin'Fun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pain on the inside of the ankle is a frustrating issue to deal with, here are many structures present on the inside of the ankle, which can also make the diagnosis difficult for health care providers.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 0
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout