United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had breakfast and got ready. Had my helmet next to my bag o' stuff on the island in the kitchen. DH had already loaded my bike in the car so I made a cup of coffee and headed out.

I drove downtown and found a parking spot. When I grabbed my bike out of the car I realized I'd left my helmet at home. I didn't have time to go home and come back so I woke DS1 and asked him to bring it to me. Fortunately I have great kids and he didn't hesitate.

I got my stuff together, sans the helmet, and rode the few blocks to the start. I found the port a loo then waited for DS1 and my friends. DS1 arrived with a few minutes to spare so with my helmet I found Coach Scott and a couple other friends. Coach had invited me to ride to and from the ride with he and one of his athletes but I declined, citing my lack of riding as of late.

We stood through the ceremonies then were sent on our way.
Event warmup:

just the short ride to the start.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 19s
  • 30 kms
  • 20.85 km/hr
Comments:

This is the second time I've done this ride. The first time I did the full metric century up to the Law Enforcement Memorial in Santa Fe. This time my lack of bike fitness barely got me to the 30k :)

That being said, I love this event. During the first 30k we passed 6 memorials, including a bagpiper, at sites where officers had made the ultimate sacrifice. Sadly, one of them was added this year for an officer who was killed in 2016. That was APD Officer Webster. His killer plead guilty this morning. Officer Webster's widow rode with us. When I went past his memorial she was off her bike kneeling in front of the memorial crying. These always put a lump in my throat, but that one made me cry. It's hard to cry and ride. :'( The city I live in also lost an Officer last year. He wasn't memorialized on this route because of the location, but his name is on my bike jersey. I will never forget the final dispatch call at his funeral.

There is natural slowing of the group at these locations but the organizers also chose to stop us mid-ride in a couple other spots to keep the group closer together. They hadn't done this the last time I participated.

Once we turned off of Central in ABQ they no longer tried to keep us grouped and it got much more spread out. I kept up with Coach to about this spot but eventually let him go, although I was never too far behind.

This ride was basically a constant uphill so the legs were getting tired. In the last few miles I tried to stand on the pedals to give the sit bones a break from the bumpy roads, but my legs were too shaky to sustain a stand.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I hadn't been bike focused, at ALL, but wanted to do this ride.
Post race
Warm down:

I was happy to see the finish! I leaned my bike on a wall and grabbed a breakfast burrito from the aid station. I chatted with Coach before he began his ride home, and S before he headed out to continue on to Santa Fe.

Eventually I loaded my bike on the trailer for the SAG back to the start then talked with some other LEO's that I know.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training

Event comments:

This event shuts down a major street in Albuquerque for a few hours. Each intersection is blocked by APD officers. Their presence is welcomed, and profound.

The food at the aid stations is great and the volunteers are very friendly. The people riding the metric century finish at the NM Law Enforcement Memorial and get to attend the annual ceremony. It is a great atmosphere, with sad and serious undertones for the entire ride.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-04-19 12:00 AM
Biking
01:26:19 | 30 kms | 20.85 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: From downtown ABQ to the police substation east of ABQ along Route 66, a major road downtown.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-05-09 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: NM Law Enforcement Memorial Ride

2016-05-09 1:40 PM
in reply to: #5180902

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: NM Law Enforcement Memorial Ride

Nice ride!  It's always great to do a ride that you love with friends!

2016-05-10 7:58 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Sounds like a great time!
2016-05-10 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
TJ,

Sounds like a great ride!
I *almost" signed up for it this year.. but, I have the SF Century next week. Maybe next year!

Regards,
Jay
2016-05-10 9:02 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I found it a bit startling and very sad that there are 6 sites in 30K where officers lost their lives.  Big thanks to you for doing the ride and remembering those who serve and have served, and what a good way to keep their memories alive.  Sounds like a very well-run event.

You weren't kidding about the ride being one big uphill, wow!  Nice work! 

2016-05-10 9:04 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by RockTractor TJ, Sounds like a great ride! I *almost" signed up for it this year.. but, I have the SF Century next week. Maybe next year! Regards, Jay

Have fun with the SF Century. That one is on my to do list.

2016-05-11 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Congratulations on a great day.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NM Law Enforcement Memorial Ride Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NM Law Enforcement Torch Run: Final Leg

Started by desertsix
Views: 747 Posts: 2

2007-05-20 7:44 PM lobo

NM Law Enforcement Torch Run: Gallup to Grants

Started by desertsix
Views: 697 Posts: 2

2007-05-15 10:34 PM AZchica

NM Law Enforcement Torch Run: Shiprock to Gallup

Started by desertsix
Views: 939 Posts: 3

2007-05-11 9:56 AM desertsix

NM Law Enforcement Torch Run G2G Relay

Started by desertsix
Views: 879 Posts: 3

2006-05-16 2:46 PM desertsix

NM Law Enforcement Torch Run

Started by desertsix
Views: 953 Posts: 2

2004-05-21 11:41 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : September 22, 2008
author : Courage
comments : 1
Four Master's Class athletes ride and race like eight year olds in the backyard.
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : September 18, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 2
Here there are no judges, here I take out what I put in times ten. Here, in my church, I am reborn of spirit. And the next hill is upon me and I'm joyful for it. Joyful for the pain and the work.
date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.