Silverback Enterprises
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 4s
Overall Rank = 12/128
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

The usual. Up way too early for a normal human being. I drank coffee at the coffee table while looking for something intelligent on tv at 4 am while also trying to get my eyelids to achieve an opening of greater than 50%. Since I can't stomach solid foods at this hour my breakfast consisted of a breakfast smoothie concoction purchase at the store yesterday followed by another beet juice drink on the drive to the race site. To make sure I have enough calories I put down some Honey Stinger chews, also purchased yesterday at random.

Checked in and set up transition. In a bit of good news there was some early morning cloud cover along with a gentle ENE breeze to keep things from feeling too miserable, weather-wise.
Event warmup:

Sure. Why not? I'm down by the shore with my wetsuit on, might as well get a feel for how warm the lake is.
Swim
  • 14m 36s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the second wave of the morning. I started out fast and was leading a small group guys. I probably started out too fast because I couldn't maintain my initial speed too long but the fellas on my feet could, so eventually I fell back a bit and did some drafting off two dudes. This was going very well for me, as I usually can't keep a draft buddy around to save my life. But nothing good lasts forever as we eventually caught up to the wave ahead of us and we all scattered into our own separate direction. Once I was in the clear I had lost my swim friends and was all alone.

When you're alone you have time to think. In my case I thought about my trusty Garmin 310 watch. I thought about how I turned it on before the race to get a satellite signal. I thought about putting it into multisport mode. I thought about putting it on my bike. I thought . . . wait. . . I didn't do any those last two steps. Do I even know where my Garmin is? Well, we'll figure that out soon enough. Good thing I got my handy timex Ironman watch on my wrist.
What would you do differently?:

Nailed it. I know this because my time was pretty much the same from the previous 3 times I did this race. Anytime getting older <=> getting slower it's a win.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

6/15
38/128

I swear getting your wetsuit off in that first minute of getting out of the water is the hardest and the most dreadful thing to do in triathlon. One day I'm going to collapse on the ground in pain, in the grass somewhere trying to simply grab the zipper cord and unzip myself.

My T1 time is pretty pathetic, but only because I gave my spot a couple extra looks trying to spot my Garmin. No where to be seen.

The standard "do better at remembering where you put your Garmin watch prior to the race" thing. Pretty sure this is common mistake among other athletes.
Bike
  • 52m 56s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 22.10 mile/hr
Comments:

The one thing that is kinda, sorta annoying about the bike course is the 4-5ish miles of false flat road near the beginning. It looks flat but your speed tells you otherwise. Maintaining a respectable speed proves to be quite a task. But on this particular day going fast on this stretch of road turns out to be relatively easy. Maybe I got lucky and that small amount of wind shifted to give me a push. I'm pretty sure the two minute bike course PR had to do with this fact. Of course, I had no Garmin watch to confirm this, so who the heck knows.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

3/15
14/128

I found it! Don't worry everybody, I found it. My Garmin was stuffed in my left running shoe, exactly where I last put it.
Run
  • 57m 9s
  • 7.52 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I pretty much ran around the lake by myself. There were two super humans that passed me at different points in the race, running near 6 min miles in this heat. I was just happy to be not be walking and hovering around the low 7s. The breeze was really a life saver this morning, because the first two miles going over the dam with the tailwind were brutal. Static air and nothing evaporating.

Mostly focused on keeping a running motion going, even on the back portion of the course with the hills. I may have been able to go faster/harder but it's a bit of a guessing game with how much to push it when its warm outside. I was a bit cautious this year following last year's performance. I still love this run course, it fun and beautiful, but I still think I can do soooo much better out here than what I've done the last four times. But its a good thing I had my Garmin with me!

My wife and kids drove over to watch me finish. I got some big (little) high-fives round the corner and into the finishers chute.

I need it to be cooler, or I need to do medium distance training runs with steep hills sprinkled in near the end. Maybe a different mental approach to this course. Sub 7 min miles should be totally doable, but yet I can't touch it.
Post race
Warm down:

I chatted briefly with some friends, then watched my 3 and 5 year-olds expend some energy on the park jungle gym. No awards ceremony, which meant I could just pick mine up and go and not have to keep the family waiting around.

Event comments:

Well run. Well organized. Plenty of volunteers. Course was well marked. Beer at the finish line. Just get an an enthusiastic announcer (or any announcer for that matter) to make the race feel more like an event. Will do race again.

Last updated: 2016-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:36 | 1000 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 5/128
Performance: Good
Suit: Full-sleeved
Course: Counter-clockwise. Down into the cove and back out.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:56 | 19.5 miles | 22.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 11/128
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle on Shawnee County rural roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:09 | 07.52 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 17/128
Performance: Average
Course: Counter-clockwise around Lake Shawnee
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-06-21 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Topeka Tinman Triathlon

2016-06-24 4:08 PM
in reply to: #5187970

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman Triathlon
Nice race Mike and smoking bike leg. I always like this race but couldn't make it this year, I agree, if they added the bald stocky announcer from Ultramax (never remember his name) this this would be top notch.

Congratulations on having the last functioning Garmin 310 in the world.
2016-06-24 4:19 PM
in reply to: #5187970

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Topeka Tinman Triathlon

Hahaha I was really worried about your Garmin there for a bit! Glad you found it safe and sound
Great job out there! Tinman was my very first race and I've always wanted to go back. Sounds like it's still a great one.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Topeka Tinman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Topeka Tinman Triathlon & Duathlon

Started by Bryantsl
Views: 1362 Posts: 3

2006-06-25 10:18 AM Bryantsl

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by jason.jones13
Views: 1579 Posts: 1

2006-06-20 9:55 PM jason.jones13

Topeka Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by lisac957
Views: 2662 Posts: 7

2006-06-23 8:44 PM dexter

Started by KMac40
Views: 2065 Posts: 3

2006-06-20 5:39 PM KMac40

Started by ott13979
Views: 2196 Posts: 3

2006-06-20 10:43 AM Pulch
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!