General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-23 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread
So, I'm going to complete my season with a late October race. I get to do the 'transport the bike' thing for the first time. And have the pleasure of riding on the worst roads on the IM circuit, so I'm told. 2 Transitions, heat, swimming counterclockwise...

I'm looking forward to the challenge. Anyone going from BT??

2016-09-24 9:34 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread

Despite having never heard anything good about this race, I have registered too!  I'm using this as a race to push some boundaries....there's a pretty strong possibility of having an epic implosion on the run!  But I think it makes it easier knowing at a) it's a race basically everyone hates, and b) it's within driving distance for me, so I'm a little more willing to let myself blow up!

I'll get there Friday, but have to drive back on Sunday.  Maybe meet up for a beer Friday or Saturday? 

2016-09-25 6:43 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Despite having never heard anything good about this race, I have registered too!  I'm using this as a race to push some boundaries....there's a pretty strong possibility of having an epic implosion on the run!  But I think it makes it easier knowing at a) it's a race basically everyone hates, and b) it's within driving distance for me, so I'm a little more willing to let myself blow up!

I'll get there Friday, but have to drive back on Sunday.  Maybe meet up for a beer Friday or Saturday? 

Hi Nicole
Good to hear you will be doing the race. I'm not so sure about any 'run implosion' with you continuing to improve along that front. Of course, the only way I'll be ahead of you is if I start in an earlier swim wave. Then it's just a question of whether you'll pass me on the swim or on the bike. (*I'll bet on the S)

Coach is OK with you doing this as a TT rather than a tri? Not the best road surfaces for a race. I'm going with a 23/25 combination. My P2 won't take a 25 up front without rubbing, so 23 it is. Probably run 90/90 air pressure, going against the grain, but it's worked for me in practice. Looks like we've got to carry the bike out of T1 to the mount line to avoid prickly things and jump 1/2 dozen RR tracks and a hundred potholes. And that's not to mention the chipseal. A cycling adventure!

Unsure about our actual arrival timing. My wife and I are meeting her sister/husband and we're driving up for packet/bike pick up on Friday from Houston. Once the guide comes out, I'll post my bib#. Will definitely try to meet somewhere. If not, I'll certainly see you prior to the race to wish you luck.
2016-09-25 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Coach is the one who suggested I treat this as an aqua bike actually!  I have a tendency to under bike (because I worry about my running ability so much), so we really need to find that line between too little and too much.  Conventional wisdom would say I should bike between 155W and 160W....I went 146W at my last race.  For this one, I think we'll shoot for somewhere in the 165-170W range, but nothing has been finalized yet.

2016-09-25 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Coach is the one who suggested I treat this as an aqua bike actually!  I have a tendency to under bike (because I worry about my running ability so much), so we really need to find that line between too little and too much.  Conventional wisdom would say I should bike between 155W and 160W....I went 146W at my last race.  For this one, I think we'll shoot for somewhere in the 165-170W range, but nothing has been finalized yet.

Cool. I do agree that finding that line is important. Of course, it also depends on how much run suffering you can handle. I hope he suggests something like a 165/175 split for the first/second half. I think you are stronger on the run than you realize. And judging by your last race and the earlier TT this year, you've really dialed in on the bike.

I did the 'classic overbike' during IMLP, but it was mostly out of disappointment in the swim. It wasn't a pacing problem as I knew what I was doing. No regrets from me as I was happy with the bike breakthrough. That run afterwards was tough though. But the half marathon distance is far less hurtful.

The heat is what scares me about this race. Hot at Syracuse, ever-warmer throughout the day at LP, but Texas? I'm nervous...
2016-09-26 12:28 AM

User image

I'll be there that weekend too. It'll be my first half. I have lots of learning to do!

2016-09-29 6:16 PM
in reply to: Shmashin

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Shmashin

I'll be there that weekend too. It'll be my first half. I have lots of learning to do!

Hey Sean. Congrats on attempting the HIM! This is a fun distance. Nicole is a stud triathlete and I've done a few, so if there are questions we can help with, let us know.

BTW, is anyone planning on protecting their tires with Stan's sealant? I am probably going to put it in both my tires this weekend and see how it rolls. I like the extra layer of back up protection on a course known to chew up bike tires/tubes.
2016-10-01 5:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Other than the burrs or whatever in transition, I don't think the course will chew up tires/tubes.  Austin (all of Texas, really) has fairly harsh chip seal roads (some areas worse than others), which means times will generally be slower than on smooth roads, but it won't impact the integrity of your equipment.  I haven't actually ridden the course out there, so I don't know if there are potholes or anything, but sealant won't help on that.

All that said, I intend to run my Flo 60's (rear with disk cover), GP 4000s tires, and latex tubes.  

Rode part of the old IMTX course today.  Legs and brain weren't cooperating....probably a combination of spending a couple weeks recovering from my last race and missing my long ride last weekend due to having the bike in the shop.  Hoping to get back on track next weekend and planning a long weekend riding and running out in Hill Country the weekend of October 15th.

2016-10-02 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I live a little over two hours away from the Austin 70.3 race course and I have only done the race once.  It really does suck.  The roads are pure crap.  I ride Texas chip seal roads all the time but the Austin 70.3 bike course is just on another level of bad quality roads.

I vowed to never do it again but I had surgery earlier this year which hosed another 70.3 I was registered for so I was able to transfer to Austin.  It took me a week to decide whether to do Austin at no cost or lose my $300 registration.  It was a 51/49 decision.  That's how much I dislike the course.

2016-10-02 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by dtoce The heat is what scares me about this race. Hot at Syracuse, ever-warmer throughout the day at LP, but Texas? I'm nervous...

End of October weather in Texas could be anywhere in the 55-90 degree range.  The year I did it (2011) it was 90.  The next year I'm not sure it broke 60 degrees.  It all depends.

Count on 75-80 and hope for the best.

2016-10-02 7:31 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

I'm in San Antonio and it has been cooler here than the past few years. But, you never know. I'm banking on a high of 75-80. Humidity has been high lately due to rain but hopefully will clear off in the next 4 weeks. I struggle with hydration so I am interested in how to cope with the heat. Any suggestions?

I swam and drove around the race site/bike course last week. Roads seem to be typical Texas roads as described above. Water was nice and got cooler towards the middle. Hopefully I'll be headed up again this week for another OWS and recon.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2016-10-06 6:25 PM
in reply to: Shmashin

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Shmashin

I'm in San Antonio and it has been cooler here than the past few years. But, you never know. I'm banking on a high of 75-80. Humidity has been high lately due to rain but hopefully will clear off in the next 4 weeks. I struggle with hydration so I am interested in how to cope with the heat. Any suggestions?

I swam and drove around the race site/bike course last week. Roads seem to be typical Texas roads as described above. Water was nice and got cooler towards the middle. Hopefully I'll be headed up again this week for another OWS and recon.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sean
You live in Texas and are heat acclimated, so that's an advantage.
I have always tried to head into hot races maximally hydrated. If I don't have to pee multiple times in the morning, then I know I didn't do a good enough job in the 48 hours pre-race with salt/hydration, but that's rarely an issue. During the race, I usually don't have too much of an issue, even if it's hot. I try to get 3-4 bottles of something in me for fluids during the ~3 hours. (*I have my liquid/solid calories all neurotically figured out so I won't bore you with details). The key to not collapsing on the run is to drink early enough when you begin to get thirsty. I know that I usually take a 'glass' of water or gatorade every aid station, but if it's hot or I'm thirsty, I'll take 2 or 3. And dump ice on my head, down my shirt and eat it. Accept a slower pace and try to keep moving at a jog.

------------------------------------------
Everyone will feel heat but if you must walk, then it's no longer a race, it's a blowup.

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by dtoce The heat is what scares me about this race. Hot at Syracuse, ever-warmer throughout the day at LP, but Texas? I'm nervous...

End of October weather in Texas could be anywhere in the 55-90 degree range. The year I did it (2011) it was 90. The next year I'm not sure it broke 60 degrees. It all depends.

Count on 75-80 and hope for the best.

Thanks for the inside info. 60-90, yeah quite a range. I don't really care as I'll adjust. I'm just looking forward to getting this done as it's been a long race season. BTW, nice looking ride! What bike/wheels/tires are you going with?

----------------------------------------------------------

Other than the burrs or whatever in transition, I don't think the course will chew up tires/tubes. Austin (all of Texas, really) has fairly harsh chip seal roads (some areas worse than others), which means times will generally be slower than on smooth roads, but it won't impact the integrity of your equipment. I haven't actually ridden the course out there, so I don't know if there are potholes or anything, but sealant won't help on that.

All that said, I intend to run my Flo 60's (rear with disk cover), GP 4000s tires, and latex tubes.

Rode part of the old IMTX course today. Legs and brain weren't cooperating....probably a combination of spending a couple weeks recovering from my last race and missing my long ride last weekend due to having the bike in the shop. Hoping to get back on track next weekend and planning a long weekend riding and running out in Hill Country the weekend of October 15th.

Nicole
Thanks for that feedback. I'm not putting on my disc-I'm just too lazy, but I did buy an aerohelmet, my first! And I did decide to use Stan's in my front tire-a conti 23 4KS, need slightly higher pressure on crappy roads so I like the extra protection. My rear is a 25, so no sealant. I'm gonna live on the edge!
You are going to crush the bike for sure! It's getting closer. I'm going to do one final push this weekend for some bike miles and long tempo work, then a long taper for this tired old body.

Also-------
Athlete's Guide and Swim waves are out!! Old men like me get wave #3-WOOHOO!!

SWIM WAVES
Last updated 10/5/2016
WAVE # TIME SWIM CAP COLOR DIVISION
1 7:00 AM FL Yellow Pro Men
2 7:02 AM FL Pink Pro Women; PC
3 7:05 AM Orange Men 18-24; Men 55+
4 7:10 AM Purple Women 45+
5 7:15 AM Blue Men 50-54; Relays, Collegiate
6 7:20 AM Yellow Women 40-44
7 7:25 AM FL Green Men 45-49 (A-K)
8 7:30 AM LT Pink Men 45-49 (L-Z)
9 7:35 AM FL Orange Men 40-44 (A-K)
10 7:40 AM White Men 40-44 (L-Z)
11 7:45 AM LT Blue Women 35-39
12 7:50 AM Silver Men 25-29 (A-K)
13 7:55 AM FL Yellow Men 25-29 (L-Z)
14 8:00 AM FL Pink Women 18-29
15 8:05 AM Orange Women 30-34
16 8:10 AM Purple Men 30-34 (A-K)
17 8:15 AM Blue Men 30-34 (L-Z)
18 8:20 AM Yellow Men 35-39 (A-K)
19 8:25 AM FL Green Men 35-39 (L-Z)
2016-10-06 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by dtoce BTW, nice looking ride! What bike/wheels/tires are you going with?

I've made some updates to the bike since that profile pic was taken.  Put the TriRig Alpha X bars on, and decided on the Hed H3 Plus wheelset.

Dimond

2016-10-07 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Ugh, wave 15 of 18?!?!  It's a good thing I already have it in my mind that I'm willing to push the bike (expect to be passing basically the whole time and plan to not soft pedal in order to ride legal, but rather push a little more power if needed).

Temps in the 75-80 range would be awesome!  Especially if we can order minimal humidity  Now I'm getting pushy, huh?  It's really calmed down here (Houston) in the past week and a half, so even with temps in the 90's, it doesn't feel anywhere near as bad.  But I'm the kind who will gladly take temps in the 90's over temps in the 40's!

2016-10-14 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
I'll be coming in from IL to do this race. Good luck everyone!
2016-10-15 7:59 PM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by FurnaceM3

I'll be coming in from IL to do this race. Good luck everyone!

safe travel to you!

--------------------------------------------------
that's quite a bike G-MAN!

No swim practice is a disappointment to me. I'll have to figure out another way to avoid my usual panic attack...
Good luck to all!
Dale Toce
Bib # 620
(no AWA status for me...yet..., but NEXT year, I'll enjoy that advantage in transition)

2016-10-18 8:12 AM

Flower Mound , Texas
I've done this race twice. It's not bad at all. I had no complaints. Swim was nice, wave start by age group. Last year was rather cool so the water really warmed us up. I didn't think the ride was any worse than any other Ironman event I've been in. Relatively flat. You need to carry your bike from your car to transition, that's where the stickers mainly are. I didn't see any in transition, they maybe cleaned it up. Run is a bit hilly. Three loops. I struggled the first year on the run, it was much warmer and the hills got to me. Second year I slowed the bike down by 15 minutes but improved the run by almost 20 minutes and fell great after the event. I really didn't think the after has been handled very well. They like to say finishing indoors is a cool thing, and it is, but, I didn't like the recovery items or area. Very crowded. the well wishers are trying to get down the stairs while your trying to get up the stairs. People keep finishing. That is my only complaint. I grabbed a drink at the finish line and got up the steps as quick as i could, kept a cooler in the car for a recovery drive home.

Enjoy.
2016-10-28 9:42 AM
in reply to: ronleew

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Race weekend is upon us!  I'm headed out to Austin this afternoon....planning to hit check-in and the expo this afternoon on my way in.

It's fairly warm and humid over here in Houston.  I'd be shocked if it's wetsuit legal for the race, but temps tonight look like they drop down into the low 60's, so who knows.  Looks like Sunday will be comfortable at the start (no shivering while waiting for race start), but warm by the end.  Looking forward to racing and seeing if it lives up to "expectations"

Have a good race, everyone!

2016-10-31 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Will write a full race report later, but I just wanted to say that I didn't think the course was anywhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be.  Maybe it's because I'm not the kind who is out for a sightseeing tour, but rather am out there to kick my butt

Roads weren't any worse than the normal crap I ride on.  The run roads in the park area do kinda suck, but they're manageable. 

Really sucked that the swim was canceled, but Ironman can't control the weather.  What they could control, however, is that AWA's should not get to start at a different time from the rest of the AG waves.  I was more annoyed about that than I probably should have been, but when there are girls with 100/200/300-something bibs who get to start an hour earlier than the rest of us with 1900-something bibs, and thus get to start the run an hour earlier (and a bit cooler), you're no longer racing the same race.  Two of the four girls who beat me were AWA's....probably wouldn't have mattered as they look like far better runners than I am even under the best of conditions.

Hard to really predict the impact a swim would have had, but I think it would have been a 10+ minute PR for me!  I'm really happy with my season and looking forward to a bit of slacking for a month before getting back into some real training.

2016-10-31 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Will write a full race report later, but I just wanted to say that I didn't think the course was anywhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be.  Maybe it's because I'm not the kind who is out for a sightseeing tour, but rather am out there to kick my butt

Roads weren't any worse than the normal crap I ride on.  The run roads in the park area do kinda suck, but they're manageable. 

Really sucked that the swim was canceled, but Ironman can't control the weather.  What they could control, however, is that AWA's should not get to start at a different time from the rest of the AG waves.  I was more annoyed about that than I probably should have been, but when there are girls with 100/200/300-something bibs who get to start an hour earlier than the rest of us with 1900-something bibs, and thus get to start the run an hour earlier (and a bit cooler), you're no longer racing the same race.  Two of the four girls who beat me were AWA's....probably wouldn't have mattered as they look like far better runners than I am even under the best of conditions.

Hard to really predict the impact a swim would have had, but I think it would have been a 10+ minute PR for me!  I'm really happy with my season and looking forward to a bit of slacking for a month before getting back into some real training.

Nicole
First, congrats on a really great race! (I scoped out the results)

Second, I agree that the roads were bad, but not horrific. You just needed to pay attention. I actually ran 23/25 and used 100 psi for both with no issues.

Third, the heat was what I feared and it was certainly hot. More so for others who started later.

Fourth, AWA is the price paid to sponsor WTC and that's how they are rewarded. Sucks for us, but I'll be SILVER next year.

Fifth, the cancellation of the swim was entirely appropriate for safety, regardless of the potential for road delay. I did enjoy hearing so many people on the course saying 'they should have cancelled the f*ing run, not the swim, and just start later...'. I heard that a bunch of times, with various themes.

Sixth, I do not like a multi-loop run course at all. I understand it's better for the spectators, but dodging people only worsened my quad cramps. Far too congested for me.

Seventh, I did not think the inside finish was special at all. I LOVED finishing on the oval at IMLP, though.

Enjoy your trip and recovery!
Congrats to all who attended and raced.
2016-11-01 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Congrats to everyone who finished! I, too, will try to get a race report up later this week.

Coming from Chicago, I was probably more afraid of the heat than anything else. I flew in early, so I did get a chance to do a long run in the middle of the afternoon to acclimatize myself to the weather; maybe it helped?

Anyway, I was bummed that the swim was canceled, but you cannot control the weather. After driving the bike course the previous day around 9AM and the fog was still around I had a bad feeling that the swim was going to be affected on race day with 7:30 start. If this were my first 70.3 rodeo I would be a little upset, but there are always other 70.3s to do.

I was looking forward to the bike course since it was definitely more hilly than what you get around IL. I did IMWI so that was plenty hilly so I was somewhat prepared. Driving the course also prepared me mentally. As a result, I beat my goal time by a little bit and was impressed with my speed given the conditions. There were definitely some rough patches out there; I think the roads between 10 and 20 (?) when it was constantly a "vibration" caused me the most grief. It was just a bit irritating.

By the time I got to the run course I tried to stay within myself due to the heat. I managed to run the complete course (including hills) and only walked through the aid stations. There were a lot of people walking, but I totally get it. I believe these same running conditions affected the Chicago Marathon a few years back and they actually pulled people off the course due to the dangerous conditions.

Can't wait to read more about what people's impressions were about this race. Oh, dual transitions stink!!!!!

2016-11-01 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
On a different note.....Did anyone get a luggage tag in their registration packet? Normally we get one and I noticed I did not for this event. If you did and don't need it I would be willing to pay. Let me know.....thanks!
2016-11-01 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by FurnaceM3 On a different note.....Did anyone get a luggage tag in their registration packet? Normally we get one and I noticed I did not for this event. If you did and don't need it I would be willing to pay. Let me know.....thanks!

I did get one and would be more than happy to send it to you!  Shoot me a message with your address.

On a similar but different note, my name did not make it on the name t-shirts or towels or other swag   That was a bit of a bummer....I often do buy those shirts, but didn't even bother looking to see if I liked any since my name didn't make it on there.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread

Started by WaltRitchie
Views: 3036 Posts: 9

2015-09-27 10:57 AM jareed58

Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by feathersgw
Views: 21491 Posts: 100

2013-10-04 4:29 PM mdsict

Austin 70.3 : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by Guero
Views: 19032 Posts: 126

2012-07-19 9:06 PM bigbabyjaysus

Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by JBrashear
Views: 26015 Posts: 142

2010-05-05 2:44 PM jeff417

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30607 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.