BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page
 
 
of 31
 
 
2017-07-27 10:42 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
1704
1000500100100
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Thanks Kelly, I've been struggling with my recovery and feeling a bit of anxiety over it all but starting to get back to normal.

When are you heading to Whistler?  A fair number of people are heading there from here.  Have a good time and I hope the weather there will be comfortably cool for you.

 

 



2017-07-28 3:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image


699
500100252525
, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks. Very interesting. as a beginner, we don't necessarily think about transitions, but really, they are the 4th sport and we can get better there too.

I actually think there are seven disciplines in triathlon -

  • Swim
  • Bike
  • Run
  • Hydration
  • Nutrition
  • Transition
  • Mental

Arguably mental is the most important.  Indeed, I believe that success in sport is 90% mental and 10% physical.  Your body will go where your mind leads.  From motivating you to go workout when you simply want to stay in bed or it's stormy outside to allowing you to overcome the pain of going very deep as you approach the finish line - it all starts in the mind.

Hydration/nutrition are often overlooked or not considered until the day before a race.  That's all well and good for a sprint distance race, but for anything longer, ignoring your hydration/nutrition plan is an invitation to a painful day at best and outright failure at worst.

We've been talking a little bit about transitions - I had an athlete I worked with a couple of years ago - their T1 at an Ironman event was 14:37 and T2 was 9:16.  That's nearly 24-minutes in transition - when other people can do the same thing in less than 2-minutes.  Transitions are free time.  You have to do nothing but practice a few times to gain that free time.

I realize that many of us are simply enjoying triathlon as a way to improve our physical fitness - which is fine.  For those of us who are competing against ourselves and trying to improve - paying attention to all seven disciplines is a good place to start.




I was thinking about that on my ride this morning and there is an eighth one: Shopping!




Edited by Rollergirl 2017-07-28 3:21 AM
2017-07-30 7:51 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
118
100
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Hi All,

Julie - well done on your race at inverurie, you're much faster than me

George- well done for keeping going, I don't function well in heat anyway never mind trying to race!

recovery week for me, almost 12 hours of training the previous week so it was a welcome rest.
down south visiting family mon-thurs so no training, found this mornings run hard as a result.

Back into it properly tomorrow
2017-07-30 4:31 PM
in reply to: adbru

User image

Extreme Veteran
1704
1000500100100
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

I just had a look on Ironman Live and checked out Kelly's progress at Whistler.

He had a good swim and T1 and just now is showing at 151km of the bike ride.  It is really hot here in Penticton so I imagine it is a hot day in Whistler as well.  I hope he keeps cool and keeps going.  Really excited for him and keeping a close eye on his progress.

 

2017-07-31 5:32 AM
in reply to: adbru

User image


34
25
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Thanks Adbru, swim class tonight? :-)
2017-07-31 11:58 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
1175
1000100252525
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I just had a look on Ironman Live and checked out Kelly's progress at Whistler.

He had a good swim and T1 and just now is showing at 151km of the bike ride.  It is really hot here in Penticton so I imagine it is a hot day in Whistler as well.  I hope he keeps cool and keeps going.  Really excited for him and keeping a close eye on his progress.

 




Hey everyone. Well, it was a very tough day, on a very tough course with lots of hills and a headwind going up, up, and up those hills . I am now the very proud owner of an IM finishers medal

Missing my goal time of 15:xx (in case I never really admitted that here ) was a wee bit of a frustration in that I had a lot of knee pain laterally, likely ITB from the grinding I had to do on those hills , which showed up somewhere around the 9-10 km mark iirc. I was doing well running 4 min, and walking 1, and the issue with the posterior of the knee I had earlier this summer seemed to be a non-issue. I was limited to jogging a few hundred meters, then walking for a few minutes, repeat.... So, a lot of walking, but over alI am really happy to have completed it. Swim went great- 1:13, bike in ...7:42??, then 6 something run, for finish of 15:23 .

It was an AMAZING experience, and I am so grateful for being healthy enough to participate, for the volunteers and all the people who cheered for everyone treating us like rock stars, and the support of other participants and that whole camaraderie thing
But most of all, my daughter came to watch, got to volunteer in the finishing chute, and draped my medal around my neck

time for some sleep...
cheers everyone


2017-08-01 8:47 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Extreme Veteran
701
500100100
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Weekend is here ...

Originally posted by ok2try Hi everyone, and thanks for all your good wishes & prayers I'm cleared for discharge tomorrow, which is a week earlier than the prognosis. I've been in inpatient rehab, which has involved 3 hours/day of PT and OT, followed by some serious napping. I'm extra committed to my goal of being in the best athletic condition possible until my last day on earth.  ... Deb

Deb ... good to hear from you and to know your progress is going well.  If I could share an experience I had with injury, PT and such.  Many years back I had ACL surgery from a skiing accident and I was as determined to progress as much so as it seems you are.  The ortho I went to served many athletes with knee injuries - college athletes, a lot of soccer injuries, and such.  Going thru the PT I noticed a lot that had a 'hitch' in their step due to the knee injury.  I was determined to not have that at the end, and equally determined to work very hard to progress quickly.

At some point I developed some knee pain due to the PT and stubbornly insisted on working thru it.  I continued my grind at home exercises with the pain, and after 2-3 therapist sessions with the continued pain, my therapist got in my face and said, "LOOK, (the unspoken words were you idiot!) ... if there's pain - there's likely inflammation - if there's inflammation, the harder you work the worse the inflammation gets; i.e. you are making this worse"!

I'm certainly not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, and doubt that I could ... just want to caution in the light of my experience to pace yourself and not go so hard that risk for regression increases.

Again ... good to hear you're doing well!!

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-08-01 8:49 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
701
500100100
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Great job Kelly!!  There's nothing so sweet as finishing and adding a finisher jersey to ones collection - especially an IM jersey. 

Ciao ... Dorm

2017-08-01 10:42 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
1704
1000500100100
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Congratulations Kelly - Really, really pleased for you.  I followed the day right up to your finish.  Now you get to enjoy the last most important part of training - the recovery rest time.  Enjoy your recovery and take care of yourself.  Hopefully you're not too stiff.

Very cool to get your medal from your daughter.  I hope you got a photo of that special moment.

A friend drove back from Whistler on Monday and he said there was no smoke in the air in Whistler but then really thick once he got to the Fraser Valley.

2017-08-01 10:50 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
1704
1000500100100
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Had a good bike ride today doing hill repeats.  Our air quality is really bad right now with smoke filling our valley to the point that we can't even see the mountains around us so while I was riding my eyes were stinging from the smoke and people I passed were wearing dust masks to protect their lungs.  Probably not a good day to do hill repeats but I got it done.

I also swam in the pool today and I have to say I did not feel like I was ready for my 3K swim at the end of August.  I'm sure I can finish the swim but I'd like it to be faster than last year.

2017-08-03 3:50 AM
in reply to: #5207873

User image

Regular
118
100
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Well done kelly :-)



2017-08-04 7:56 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
7365
500020001001001002525
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Next day I'm pretty stiff and sore but not as bad as some of my friends that also did the race.  I finished 2nd from last but in fairness to me some slower people dropped out due to the heat.  To be honest, as hot as it was, I never considered not finishing.

I'll write a full report as soon as I can.

Hey George,

Great race!  These are the "character building" races you will never forget.  It's testament to you that you never considered quiting even in the face of very harsh conditions!

2017-08-04 7:58 PM
in reply to: Juliecl

User image

Official BT Coach
7365
500020001001001002525
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Originally posted by Juliecl

1st in age group although only one in it

Julie,

First is first!  Don't cloud the issue with how many people were in the age-group! 

Congrats on a good race.

2017-08-04 8:00 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Official BT Coach
7365
500020001001001002525
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks. Very interesting. as a beginner, we don't necessarily think about transitions, but really, they are the 4th sport and we can get better there too.

I actually think there are seven disciplines in triathlon -

  • Swim
  • Bike
  • Run
  • Hydration
  • Nutrition
  • Transition
  • Mental

Arguably mental is the most important.  Indeed, I believe that success in sport is 90% mental and 10% physical.  Your body will go where your mind leads.  From motivating you to go workout when you simply want to stay in bed or it's stormy outside to allowing you to overcome the pain of going very deep as you approach the finish line - it all starts in the mind.

Hydration/nutrition are often overlooked or not considered until the day before a race.  That's all well and good for a sprint distance race, but for anything longer, ignoring your hydration/nutrition plan is an invitation to a painful day at best and outright failure at worst.

We've been talking a little bit about transitions - I had an athlete I worked with a couple of years ago - their T1 at an Ironman event was 14:37 and T2 was 9:16.  That's nearly 24-minutes in transition - when other people can do the same thing in less than 2-minutes.  Transitions are free time.  You have to do nothing but practice a few times to gain that free time.

I realize that many of us are simply enjoying triathlon as a way to improve our physical fitness - which is fine.  For those of us who are competing against ourselves and trying to improve - paying attention to all seven disciplines is a good place to start.

I was thinking about that on my ride this morning and there is an eighth one: Shopping!

There is that!  That's how my wife passes the time at longer races!

2017-08-04 8:03 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Official BT Coach
7365
500020001001001002525
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Originally posted by triosaurus 

Hey everyone. Well, it was a very tough day, on a very tough course with lots of hills and a headwind going up, up, and up those hills . I am now the very proud owner of an IM finishers medal

Missing my goal time of 15:xx (in case I never really admitted that here ) was a wee bit of a frustration in that I had a lot of knee pain laterally, likely ITB from the grinding I had to do on those hills , which showed up somewhere around the 9-10 km mark iirc. I was doing well running 4 min, and walking 1, and the issue with the posterior of the knee I had earlier this summer seemed to be a non-issue. I was limited to jogging a few hundred meters, then walking for a few minutes, repeat.... So, a lot of walking, but over alI am really happy to have completed it. Swim went great- 1:13, bike in ...7:42??, then 6 something run, for finish of 15:23 .

It was an AMAZING experience, and I am so grateful for being healthy enough to participate, for the volunteers and all the people who cheered for everyone treating us like rock stars, and the support of other participants and that whole camaraderie thing But most of all, my daughter came to watch, got to volunteer in the finishing chute, and draped my medal around my neck

time for some sleep...

cheers everyone

Kelly,

Sorry it's late but good job!

2017-08-05 3:28 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image


699
500100252525
, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks. Very interesting. as a beginner, we don't necessarily think about transitions, but really, they are the 4th sport and we can get better there too.

I actually think there are seven disciplines in triathlon -

  • Swim
  • Bike
  • Run
  • Hydration
  • Nutrition
  • Transition
  • Mental

Arguably mental is the most important.  Indeed, I believe that success in sport is 90% mental and 10% physical.  Your body will go where your mind leads.  From motivating you to go workout when you simply want to stay in bed or it's stormy outside to allowing you to overcome the pain of going very deep as you approach the finish line - it all starts in the mind.

Hydration/nutrition are often overlooked or not considered until the day before a race.  That's all well and good for a sprint distance race, but for anything longer, ignoring your hydration/nutrition plan is an invitation to a painful day at best and outright failure at worst.

We've been talking a little bit about transitions - I had an athlete I worked with a couple of years ago - their T1 at an Ironman event was 14:37 and T2 was 9:16.  That's nearly 24-minutes in transition - when other people can do the same thing in less than 2-minutes.  Transitions are free time.  You have to do nothing but practice a few times to gain that free time.

I realize that many of us are simply enjoying triathlon as a way to improve our physical fitness - which is fine.  For those of us who are competing against ourselves and trying to improve - paying attention to all seven disciplines is a good place to start.

I was thinking about that on my ride this morning and there is an eighth one: Shopping!

There is that!  That's how my wife passes the time at longer races!




Well, yes, that too, but I was thinking more about shopping for bikes, wetsuits, tri-suits, etc. It's an integral part of the sport


2017-08-05 10:09 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
701
500100100
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Hello all and hope the weekend bodes well for you.  I have been super busy with projects over the past 2-3 weeks, so training and checking in here has slacked.  It still amazes me that our friends idea of retirement is engaging in endless leisure, partying, sleeping, boredom et al.  When we talk about our days; working in the yard, building furniture, training and such - their immediate response always seems to be "I thought you were retired"!

Anyway ... I have been uber busy with some projects and as such my training has suffered.  Speaking of suffering - I got in some pool laps on Wednesday and cycling training on Friday.  And, I absolutely suffered thru both.  First the pool ... only 500m, but I'm hitting it again here in a few minutes.  Friday's cycling was indeed sufferage!  My last TT was done ~3-4 weeks ago and I've only ridden twice and maybe 2 workouts since the TT.  The point being, when you do a TT and increase your maximum training watts by 10% and one month later try to workout given the higher wattage ... there's a lot of pain, sweat, cursing and suffering. 

I'm back in the pool today and on for an early bike ride tomorrow with one of my daughters.  I have two events upcoming ... another sprint tri in Sept and a cycling event in Oct. and want to give solid participation.

Hope all have a good weekend ...

Ciao - Dorm

2017-08-05 11:03 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Official BT Coach
7365
500020001001001002525
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks. Very interesting. as a beginner, we don't necessarily think about transitions, but really, they are the 4th sport and we can get better there too.

I actually think there are seven disciplines in triathlon -

  • Swim
  • Bike
  • Run
  • Hydration
  • Nutrition
  • Transition
  • Mental

Arguably mental is the most important.  Indeed, I believe that success in sport is 90% mental and 10% physical.  Your body will go where your mind leads.  From motivating you to go workout when you simply want to stay in bed or it's stormy outside to allowing you to overcome the pain of going very deep as you approach the finish line - it all starts in the mind.

Hydration/nutrition are often overlooked or not considered until the day before a race.  That's all well and good for a sprint distance race, but for anything longer, ignoring your hydration/nutrition plan is an invitation to a painful day at best and outright failure at worst.

We've been talking a little bit about transitions - I had an athlete I worked with a couple of years ago - their T1 at an Ironman event was 14:37 and T2 was 9:16.  That's nearly 24-minutes in transition - when other people can do the same thing in less than 2-minutes.  Transitions are free time.  You have to do nothing but practice a few times to gain that free time.

I realize that many of us are simply enjoying triathlon as a way to improve our physical fitness - which is fine.  For those of us who are competing against ourselves and trying to improve - paying attention to all seven disciplines is a good place to start.

I was thinking about that on my ride this morning and there is an eighth one: Shopping!

There is that!  That's how my wife passes the time at longer races!

Well, yes, that too, but I was thinking more about shopping for bikes, wetsuits, tri-suits, etc. It's an integral part of the sport

At least the manufacturers and vendors marketing departments would have you believe so!

2017-08-05 7:51 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
1175
1000100252525
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Congratulations Kelly - Really, really pleased for you.  I followed the day right up to your finish.  Now you get to enjoy the last most important part of training - the recovery rest time.  Enjoy your recovery and take care of yourself.  Hopefully you're not too stiff.

Very cool to get your medal from your daughter.  I hope you got a photo of that special moment.

A friend drove back from Whistler on Monday and he said there was no smoke in the air in Whistler but then really thick once he got to the Fraser Valley.




Thanks so much for the kind words. Yes, I am still very stiff / sore, in the quads / knees , anyway.
The air quality last weekend was great, so no issue whatsoever, but I hear that an event there was cancelled this weekend...

I have received emails from IMCanada for registration for next year ... Am I totally nuts for even thinking about it ?

  • .not at all sure how to post a pic here on bt .... I 'think' this is the url for the pic of my daughter with me at finish, which I posted on FB

  • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=980638595412606&set=a.507308...

    Hope everyone is healthy, and doing well on their journeys to tri-success !
    2017-08-06 5:31 AM
    in reply to: 0

    User image

    Extreme Veteran
    701
    500100100
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

    Kelly ... awesome picture.  It's hard to tell who's the proudest - you or your daughter.  Thanks for sharing.

     I got in a short, easy ride with one of my daughters this morning ... her first ride in a loooong time.  It's always interesting, how a person may be "in shape" (she's a Crossfit person) but also lacking the wherewithal for endurance type activities.  We rode 12 miles; I hardly got the HR up, and she suffered all the way .  I'm thinking too, come October she may be the one who's dishing it out.  We're planning to ride in an event in October: Tour de'Cove to support a local hit-n-run cyclist, who survived, but struggles with traumatic brain injuries.  We're sad for the event, but happy to give something back and at the same time raise awareness regarding cycling, cycling safety and the risks posed with our sport.

    Hope all have a good weekend.

    Ciao ... Dorm



    Edited by Dorm57 2017-08-06 11:16 AM
    2017-08-10 11:22 AM
    in reply to: Dorm57

    User image


    1160
    10001002525
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group

    Just checking in...I was out of town the last week of July so the first week of August I started my 7 week count down to at 70.3 Race that I will be doing next month.  I was should be more worried about the short time I have to build up volume from the shorter distance training I was doing earlier in the year but I remembers an article written by Ryan Hall about his 7 week marathon training plans.  Where he said that he started with 30 minutes in the morning then added 30 minutes int he afternoon, then slowly build up to an hour ever morning and an hour every afternoon over his 7 week preparation period.    

    I also looked back at some of my totals for the year and was surprised to see that I already have done more swimming in 7 months in 2017 than I did the full year in 2016.  I was feeling under prepared in the water, especially after having major leg cramps on the swim in my last three races (always in races, but never in practices), but seeing what I have done this year has given me a new confidence.   I am going to be working on consistency over the next few weeks.  It is crunch time.   



    2017-08-11 7:57 AM
    in reply to: triosaurus

    User image


    344
    10010010025
    Spencer, New York
    Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
    Kelly, congrats on your IM, and thanks or posting the photo of you & your daughter. It's really nice to see real people here as well as words!
    In 4 more days I return to the surgeon & might be cleared to walk on 2 legs. I wonder what that will feel like.
    Deb
    2017-08-11 3:51 PM
    in reply to: ok2try

    User image

    Extreme Veteran
    1175
    1000100252525
    Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
    Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
    Originally posted by ok2try

    Kelly, congrats on your IM, and thanks or posting the photo of you & your daughter. It's really nice to see real people here as well as words!
    In 4 more days I return to the surgeon & might be cleared to walk on 2 legs. I wonder what that will feel like.
    Deb


    Deb,
    thanks for the kind words.

    I am very glad to hear that you are recovering so quickly, and I suspect that the 2-legged walking will come back to you fairly soon

    How have you been feeling lately? Are all of the other injuries that you sustained healed? I hope that you have managed to keep frustration at bay while you have been laid up by reading and writing, and catching up on all things non-training related!

    be well..

    kelly
    2017-08-15 3:33 PM
    in reply to: triosaurus

    User image

    New user
    29
    25
    Houston, Texas
    Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
    Kelly,

    You are a ROCKSTAR!
    2017-08-17 5:55 AM
    in reply to: kszelei

    User image

    Regular
    118
    100
    Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group
    Hi folks,

    been quiet as I've been busy with family stuff (and training !! lol)

    Deb, hope all goes well - slow and steady and take time to heal :-)

    Over 11 hours training last week, including my first open water swim since 2010 !
    It was a sea swim, water temp around 12'c (53F) but didnt feel cold at all.
    Object was just 'face in the water and breathe' time, went with my b-i-l as he does a fair bit of open water.
    Did about half a mile in about 40 mins (never took a watch) and didnt get the horrors when trying to breathe so I'll count that as a win :-)

    Planning another OW swim this weekend, aiming for a full hour.
    On track for another 11 hour training week, boy am I looking forward to recovery week next week !

    Julie- I was late home on Monday so missed the class, aiming to be there next week.

    stay safe all

    Adbru
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Rss Feed  
    Show Per page
     
     
    of 31
     
     
    RELATED POSTS

    Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

    Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

    2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

    Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

    Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

    2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

    Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

    Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

    2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

    Playmobil31's Group - Open

    Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

    2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

    Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

    Started by Ron
    Views: 11058 Posts: 1

    2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : February 19, 2007
    author : Terese Luikens
    comments : 0
    Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.