BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-04-03 5:38 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Berlin, Berlin
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN

Egypt sound like it will be amazing!

I booked my yearly holiday-ride over the weekend! A friend & I are cycling from Innsbruck (in the Alps), down through the Dolomites and into Venice. About 350km over 5 days. Very excited

https://www.strava.com/routes/8112327

This is also about 2.5 weeks before my first OT, so probably the last strenuous exercise I'll do before the event. How long do you normally taper? 1 week or 2? (NFI)

Cheers

Ben

2017-04-04 7:42 AM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Master's swim again this morning 2000 yds of self-guided swimmage (coach is on vacation). Followed today by much running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get everything ready for Egypt next week. If I manage to pull this off it will be a miracle!
2017-04-04 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Master's swim again this morning 2000 yds of self-guided swimmage (coach is on vacation). Followed today by much running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get everything ready for Egypt next week. If I manage to pull this off it will be a miracle!

So exciting!  That trip is going to be epic.

2017-04-04 10:26 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen and Ben, both sound like amazing trips! How exciting!

Ben, I've only done sprints so far so don't really taper. Sorry I can't be more helpful!
2017-04-04 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!! Egypt is a go!!! Leaving early next week (assuming I can get a ticket for less than a billion dollars) and will be there until mid-June!! Now that I have permission, I have so much stuff to get done between then an now!

Before all heck broke loose this morning I hit Masters for a swim. Unfortunately, Coach was in a talkitive mood this morning and I only managed to get in 1100m before I had to get out. My folks are in town to attend an award ceremony where I'll be receiving the College of Liberal Arts "Mentor of the Year" award! I had to get home to make my dad coffee before he tried himself and broke our Keurig (he is totally old school!!). So, short swim this morning. With all the preparations to make, I doubt I'll be getting in much training over the next few days. And...in Egypt...only running (and yoga!).

I don't know whether to be happy or sad for you but congrats on the green light to go to Egypt. Maybe this is the year of the half marathon or focusing on getting faster on your run and you save the triathlon til next year! I wish there was something I could say to make it better for you! Good luck getting everything done!
2017-04-04 1:10 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I raced Galveston 70.3 on Sunday....I'll put together a race report shortly, but here's my cliffs notes version:

Felt good on the swim....but was dismally slow.

Felt great on the bike and came in just under 2:29....I think it was something like the 22nd fastest female bike split, including the pros!

Run was tough, but I managed to hang tough.

My 910 died on the swim (it's been bullet-proof for almost five years, but seemed to kick the bucket on Sunday), so I had no idea what my time was.  When I asked a friend what time it was right when I finished, she said it was 12:48, which was exactly five hours after I started.  I'd already been finished for over a minute, so I knew I broke five hours and I completely broke down, overcome with emotion!  My hard work paid off and I finished in 4:58:20!

Still have plenty of room for improvement (a couple years ago, I was consistently swimming 3-5 minutes faster, so I'm sure I can get back there....and I know my running hasn't peaked yet).  Recovering this week and then will start looking toward my next race (a 40k TT in May and 70.3 WC in September).

2017-04-04 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Woke up this morning with Vertigo and just had it confirmed by a doctor. 12 days until the race - it should be better by then but you can't make this crap up.
2017-04-04 2:22 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I raced Galveston 70.3 on Sunday....I'll put together a race report shortly, but here's my cliffs notes version:

Felt great on the bike and came in just under 2:29....I think it was something like the 22nd fastest female bike split, including the pros!

My 910 died on the swim (it's been bullet-proof for almost five years, but seemed to kick the bucket on Sunday), so I had no idea what my time was.  When I asked a friend what time it was right when I finished, she said it was 12:48, which was exactly five hours after I started.  I'd already been finished for over a minute, so I knew I broke five hours and I completely broke down, overcome with emotion!  My hard work paid off and I finished in 4:58:20!

Still have plenty of room for improvement (a couple years ago, I was consistently swimming 3-5 minutes faster, so I'm sure I can get back there....and I know my running hasn't peaked yet).  Recovering this week and then will start looking toward my next race (a 40k TT in May and 70.3 WC in September).

Holy #^%#^$!!!!  That's AWESOME!!!  Congratulations!  I don't need me to tell you but that's is a damn fast bike split.  Wow.

2017-04-04 2:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by lowdon

Egypt sound like it will be amazing!

I booked my yearly holiday-ride over the weekend! A friend & I are cycling from Innsbruck (in the Alps), down through the Dolomites and into Venice. About 350km over 5 days. Very excited

https://www.strava.com/routes/8112327

This is also about 2.5 weeks before my first OT, so probably the last strenuous exercise I'll do before the event. How long do you normally taper? 1 week or 2? (NFI)

Cheers

Ben

About 7-10 days out, I would drop volume but keep up intensity, plus do some "dress rehearsals" and try to mimic race day as much as you can.  It all depends on how hard you've trained, and for how long.  Some people need a longer taper, some people just take the day off before and they're good.

Here's my volume graph from the last one I did (the final week includes the race...you can look at my logs from May 2014 if you want the details):

Green = cycling, Yellow = running, Purple = swimming, Blue = strength or yoga

Edited by jmhpsu93 2017-04-04 2:33 PM
2017-04-04 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Woke up this morning with Vertigo and just had it confirmed by a doctor. 12 days until the race - it should be better by then but you can't make this crap up.

<facepalm>

That's crazy.  Remind me not to ride on an airplane with you. 

2017-04-04 2:38 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e I got some exciting news yesterday! I applied to mentor a refugee, and have officially been approved and they already found me a family! My main mentee will be a 12 yr. old girl from Syria, but she also has 3 siblings, at least 2 of which I will also be spending time with (the oldest is 20). I really hang out with the whole family but am there to help with homework, teaching them English, and just being there for them in this transition. I am SUPER excited. I will get started with them after my trip to Europe in April/May. I've been very busy lately and am a little anxious fitting this into my schedule weekly, but am very excited to (hopefully) make a positive difference in someone's life. Hope everyone's weeks are going well!

That's amazing! What a good thing you're doing.

(see Dave not all Ravens fans are bad. hahahaha)

2017-04-04 2:47 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

DeLand, Florida

Gretchen - Great work on getting the book out (seriously - I don't think I can write 30 pages never mind 300+) and best of luck with the Egypt trip!

Juan - KL=Kuala Lumpur?  Anyway safe travels and good on you getting workouts in while there!  

Also - I found the book you recommended 'Accidental Ironman' used on amazon and picked it up.  Thanks!

ON - Good luck with the swim meet this weekend!

Ben - Wow that sounds like a glorious trip!  Don't know that I'd want to ride through the Alps AND Dolomites, but I don't like riding up imperceptible hills either  never mind actual mountains!

BTW I taper for about 3-4 days for my sprint tris, with the day prior completely off.  Never done an Oly or anything longer, so take it for what it's worth.

Nicole - CONGRATS on Galveston!!!  Well done!

Dave - how close are you to tapering for Boston?  Terrible timing on the sickness!  Hope it's over quick!

2017-04-04 4:07 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Holy #^%#^$!!!!  That's AWESOME!!!  Congratulations!  I don't need me to tell you but that's is a damn fast bike split.  Wow.

That's simply incredible! Way to get it done on the bike! I'm so happy for you! WHat beer did you celebrate you achievement with?
2017-04-05 1:34 AM

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Cheers Nicole & Michael

Michael- Thanks for sharing your reports. That's really helpful so I can see what to expect. How can I see your training plan? (The embed is bust) :D

Originally posted by firebert

Ben - Wow that sounds like a glorious trip! Don't know that I'd want to ride through the Alps AND Dolomites, but I don't like riding up imperceptible hills either never mind actual mountains!

BTW I taper for about 3-4 days for my sprint tris, with the day prior completely off. Never done an Oly or anything longer, so take it for what it's worth.

Riding in the mountains is really beautiful once you get your head around the climbs! I'll post some pics afterwards so you can check it out

I have another n00b question. I just signed up for a 10km fun run on Saturday evening (first 10k!). 'Normally' I run 6-7km on Saturday morning & try for another 6 on a Thursday morning. 

Should I still do the Saturday morning run & the 6 tomorrow? Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing :D

2017-04-05 1:35 AM

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

That's simply incredible! Way to get it done on the bike! I'm so happy for you! WHat beer did you celebrate you achievement with?

Wow, well done! That looks hardcore & fast too :D

2017-04-05 7:54 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1900m at Masters this morning. I've decided to only swim up to leaving day (next Tuesday). I don't want to get myself hurt before I go and it would be just like me to go for a run and fall into a hole and break my ankle or something.

2017-04-05 8:25 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

I have another n00b question. I just signed up for a 10km fun run on Saturday evening (first 10k!). 'Normally' I run 6-7km on Saturday morning & try for another 6 on a Thursday morning. 

Should I still do the Saturday morning run & the 6 tomorrow? Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing :D

Thursday should be fine, I'd back off the pace a bit but either way you'll still have a couple days to recover.  I'd skip the morning run the day of the race for sure, just take the Friday and Saturday daytime off (since it's a night race).  You're not adding any fitness in those couple days.  It's like everyone around here tells me - cramming for a race like trying to cram before a test won't work

2017-04-05 9:29 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by firebert

Thursday should be fine, I'd back off the pace a bit but either way you'll still have a couple days to recover.  I'd skip the morning run the day of the race for sure, just take the Friday and Saturday daytime off (since it's a night race).  You're not adding any fitness in those couple days.  It's like everyone around here tells me - cramming for a race like trying to cram before a test won't work

Yeah, I would just go normally on Thursday and take it easy during the day on Saturday.  I tend to perform better a little over-rested and under-trained vs. the opposite, if that makes sense. 

2017-04-05 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Cheers Nicole & Michael

Michael- Thanks for sharing your reports. That's really helpful so I can see what to expect. How can I see your training plan? (The embed is bust) :D

You can't - you can only see my activities.  I did pretty much follow my plan pretty well over a 24 week period, minus a few blips here and there, so if you look at my training plus my comments, that should get you more or less there.  That was a TOUGH training plan for an Oly, but I was trying to qualify for Age Group Nationals (missed by about 4 minutes...oh, well).

2017-04-05 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Qua17

Great question!  Pre-race was a Brett DIPA dry hopped with citra hops.  Immediately after the race, we went to Galveston Island Brewery (about a mile from transition) and I had a flight that included an IPA, a DIPA, a porter, a stout, and a sour.  And the next night, I had a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout from Clown Shoes

2017-04-05 2:00 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Congrats Nicole! That is really incredible!

2017-04-05 4:06 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Congratulations, that's amazingly fast. I wish I was within an hour of you!

Awesome work. And a nice selection of beersies after too it sounds like.
2017-04-05 4:08 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!! Egypt is a go!!! Leaving early next week (assuming I can get a ticket for less than a billion dollars) and will be there until mid-June!! Now that I have permission, I have so much stuff to get done between then an now!

Before all heck broke loose this morning I hit Masters for a swim. Unfortunately, Coach was in a talkitive mood this morning and I only managed to get in 1100m before I had to get out. My folks are in town to attend an award ceremony where I'll be receiving the College of Liberal Arts "Mentor of the Year" award! I had to get home to make my dad coffee before he tried himself and broke our Keurig (he is totally old school!!). So, short swim this morning. With all the preparations to make, I doubt I'll be getting in much training over the next few days. And...in Egypt...only running (and yoga!).

Congratulations to you too. Sounds like a great opportunity. And leaving within a week... that's all happening super fast.

From a training point of view, sounds like a great opportunity for a run focus, take advantage of it, train hard and crush some dreams running people down when you get back.
2017-04-05 6:44 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, California
Lot to catch up here.

Gretchen - congrats on the Egypt trip. Good luck and enjoy. Hopefully you're still "around" during the trip so we can hear all about it.

Dave - how you feeling? Sucks about the timing, but you can't worry about what you can't control. Just gonna have to dig a little deeper on race day that's all. You have it in you!

Nicole - unbelievable time. Congrats. Can't wait to continue to watch the build up toward worlds and hear about the experience. I think I've had that Imperial from Clown Shoes before, not sure. Either way good choice for post race activity!

I'm sure I missed a bunch, busy work week for me so far. Thankfully it's a recovery week on the training side though, so feeling nice and rested...almost lazy!

-Matt
2017-04-06 7:44 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2300yds with masters today. I was working on bilateral breathing, which I'm pretty bad at! Every other breath to the left is really a drink of water and I usually forget to breathe out when I go to the left too. Much more practice is needed here!! The up side is that I'm several seconds per 100 faster when I bilateral breathe!

Thanks to everyone for their support concerning my upcoming trip to Egypt. If anyone is interested in our project, we have a couple of websites. The first is the overall project website (www.amarnaproject.com). It has a lot of information about the site itself, the history of excavations, etc. It is interesting. The second site just went live yesterday. It is a blog to commemorate the 40th anniversary of our dig director, Barry Kemp, starting work at Amarna (https://amarnaanniversary.wordpress.com/). The first post is a little dry, but I wrote two posts that should be up sometime in the coming months.

Hope everyone is having a good day!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39298 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.