General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fannypack alternative for a bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-24 10:43 AM

Subject: Fannypack alternative for a bike?
Anybody use anything like this on rides?
Like some sort of smallish fanny pack (pre-emptive apologies to any Brits here, it's what we call them)...
The reason I ask is some jersey pockets I have don't have much in the way of elastic on the top and it's possible for things like my phone to work themselves up...and out....at 20+ miles an hour at the bottom of a hill as I roll in to the inevitable uphill that follows.

FTR, the phone survived unscathed....quite miraculously.

Also, I have a jersey that I really like that has no pouches in the back. No good room left on my bike...unless I take out my spare tube. Which, I would do....but my wife already rescued me once 25 miles from home when I got my new bike and was so excited to ride it I hadn't bothered to put a bag/keg/etc. on it.

So, to preserve both my phone and my marriage I'm wondering if something like a good old small fanny pack with a zipper would work. I can't imagine chafing or anything as I've done one or two not insignificant distances with a race belt as we were required/supposed to wear our bib. I don't even remember being conscious of the belt, just some occasional fluttering.

Also, I don't like the armband thingies.
1. I have to coat myself in sunscreen. Like literally dip myself in a bath of it....and they get REALLY slimy.
2. They create this huge plastic sweaty patch on my arm.

Beyond wearing a fanny pack (which, let's face it, is empirically embarrassing just like wearing cargo shorts, apparently) am I going to look a fool?
Not that I really care, I wear cargo shorts all the time. I'm 45+ and a dad. Is this a bad idea?

2017-08-24 10:52 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

Subject: RE: Fannypack alternative for a bike?
What about socks in sandals?! You should sport those with your cargo shorts and fannypack

Anyway, what about a bag that attaches to your handlebars on the top tube - like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y29X2XC/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b...
2017-08-25 8:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I've got some jerseys with a zippered pocket which is a good place to store a phone.  

How big is your saddle bag?  Consider getting a larger bag for training.  My race bag is quite small, my training bag quite large.  Cyclists may snicker at my choices, but I also still have the wheel reflectors on my road bike, so that's usually their focus.  My riding clothes are a complete mis-mash too.  

I also have a Bento box in addition to my saddle bag.  That's where I store my phone if it isn't in my jersey.  

Edited:  The fanny pack may shift around a bit.  If you already have one, try riding with it.  

Edited by McFuzz 2017-08-25 8:51 AM
2017-08-25 8:56 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I have a Little bag that sits on my handlebars where I can see my phone through a translucid pocket. or I use a running belt
2017-08-25 9:45 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

Originally posted by McFuzz
 Cyclists may snicker at my choices, but I also still have the wheel reflectors on my road bike, so that's usually their focus.

I have all the reflectors still on my road bike. The one on the seat post. One on the handlebars.
I still have the little plastic chain guard thingie that all the "cool kids" remove.
As if 3 ounces of plastic is going to somehow make me faster or something.
I assume, if one was on my tri-bike when I acquired it.....it's still there. I never even bother to record that information in my brain. If I did, I deleted it. Because I'm not going to remove it.
2017-08-25 9:51 AM
in reply to: Trine

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Originally posted by Trine

What about socks in sandals?! You should sport those with your cargo shorts and fannypack

Anyway, what about a bag that attaches to your handlebars on the top tube - like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y29X2XC/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b...

Sorry to tell you but that is now the look. My teenage son and his friends all wear colorful, sports like crew socks with sliders. Hate it. The Spaniards we hosted made fun of them. I did notice on a trip to NYC that no one else sported that look, but here in rural Ct. its the "style".

2017-08-25 12:24 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Sorry to tell you but that is now the look. My teenage son and his friends all wear colorful, sports like crew socks with sliders. Hate it. The Spaniards we hosted made fun of them. I did notice on a trip to NYC that no one else sported that look, but here in rural Ct. its the "style".

I can tolerate the sliders (my daughter does that too), but what I really love is the Teva or Ecco sandals with white socks pulled all the way up. My dad proudly sports this look and has for years.
2017-08-25 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Jersey pockets 98% of the time. Once in awhile I use a flipbelt
2017-08-25 2:18 PM

User image

If you're just looking for a place to stash your phone, have you thought of a stem mount or handlebar mount? I mount my phone because I use it as my bike computer but even if you don't use it that way, you might still find it convenient to have your phone mounted rather than in a pocket or fannie pack.
-john
2017-08-25 8:45 PM

User image

I've never had problems with things falling out of my jersey pockets...but...

I would recommend either a bigger saddle bag or some type of bento box.  I've seen people use small fanny type bags, but I would prefer not to have the strap around my waist.  You would need to make it fairly tight to avoid shifting around.  The main reason I wear bibs exclusively and not bike shorts is it's so much more comfortable to ride without any bands around your waist.

2017-08-25 11:25 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

I've never had problems with things falling out of my jersey pockets...but...

I would recommend either a bigger saddle bag or some type of bento box.  I've seen people use small fanny type bags, but I would prefer not to have the strap around my waist.  You would need to make it fairly tight to avoid shifting around.  The main reason I wear bibs exclusively and not bike shorts is it's so much more comfortable to ride without any bands around your waist.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

2017-08-26 6:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe not what you are looking for but what about a small backpack? Some of the Camelback packs are really small and have a pocket or two for a phone, money, keys, etc. even with the water bladder in. They hook around your chest, not your waist. Plus you can carry more water that way. I am beyond caring about dweebiness. If I do a long ride outdoors here (for pleasure or training), I have to carry a LOT of water, as tap water is not drinkable and I can't always count on finding a place to buy fluids when I need them (plus the only place I can ride a tri bike outside has no place to buy water). I wear running shoes to ride a chaotic parkway about 3 miles to a place where I can clip in and ride in aero, so I also need the pack to stash my shoes. I either use the small Camelback (for pleasure MTB rides), or carry a small REI backpack with my spare shoes and extra water bottles for training rides.

If it's just a phone issue, there are mounts for various models of popular phones that you can fit to your bike and are fairly waterproof and shock-proof.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-08-26 6:48 AM
2017-08-28 9:33 AM

Just so's y'all know....
I pretty much ignored errbody's suggestions (mainly because I'm cheap) and went with a $7.99 "running" bum bag I found online.
And, it worked brilliantly for me.

The mounts seemed like a good idea, but I already have one of those torpedo things on my handlebars. I supposed I could 3D print one to fit into the built in Garmin mount on it, but that would take some time and trial and error.

A new frame bag would have cost more than $7.99

I was worried because the belt itself was not elastic in any way. I'm glad it wasn't. I didn't have to tighten it at all. It was pretty loose. I was worried it'd bounce around on my hiney and annoy me. It didn't. I didn't even realize it was there.

What I didn't think about was that I could have taken the bottle cage off my other bike and put it on the seat tube where I don't have one...and just stuck my phone in a bottle or jar or something. I'd have probably had to cut the bottle up and put a rubber band around it or something, but it would have been cheaper then $7.99.

But, now I have a cool blue bum bag to embarrass my kids with.
2017-08-28 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I've used this one in the past, it fits an iPhone 5 and a few other things.

https://www.amazon.com/XLAB-X-Large-Rocket-Pocket-Black/dp/B005C9C2V...

Also here's less expensive one from Fuelbelt

https://www.amazon.com/FuelBelt-4673-Aero-FuelBox-Black/dp/B002C04FN...

This makes it easy access, like the Bento Box.

2017-08-28 3:21 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I use my jersey pockets, but should get a fanny pack for mountain biking. I can't fit a bottle cage on my bike and I always have too much stuff. I hate the camel back, my back gets all sweaty. Btw, fanny packs are cool here.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fannypack alternative for a bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Alternatives to flying mount

Started by b2run
Views: 711 Posts: 7

2017-06-12 7:26 PM b2run

Treadmill Advice: iFit Alternatives

Started by bwingate
Views: 6215 Posts: 2

2016-10-17 11:34 AM bwingate

Energy Gels and Alternatives

Started by runtim23
Views: 2491 Posts: 17

2016-09-21 9:13 AM Atlantia

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9201 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac

Time Difference b/w Tri-Bike and Road Bike

Started by kp73
Views: 5182 Posts: 7

2017-04-02 4:47 PM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 24, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
How to buy a used bike for triathlon

date : December 1, 2016
author : AMSSM
Triathlete's doctor recommends road bike over tri bike
date : October 30, 2016
author : Team BT
Your bike costs a lot to replace. Don't let it get rusty.

date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
Shifting on hills can be challenging. Here's some advice.