Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I think my new house has a 'guest' Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-05 8:30 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: I think my new house has a 'guest'
We are remodeling before move in and have yet to spend the night there, but some weird stuff is happening. I took possession in July and had locks changed the very next day. When I entered the house the following day, the mudroom door was unlocked and the porch light was off. So, I make a mental note to double check before leaving next time. Next day, the back patio door is unlocked and light outside mudroom door is on. The unlocked doors and outside light thing has been an ongoing thing.
Two days ago, I unlocked the patio door so I could go in and out as I worked on my latest project. I go to the door from the outside 20 minutes later and it's locked! There's an alarm system that beeps whenever any door or window is opened. This thing has been beeping at random intervals and I assumed it just has a goofy sensor somewhere and planned to fix at a later date. The wife comes home (to our current home) two days ago and ushers me into the bedroom to tell me something she doesn't want our daughter to hear. She was alone and painting trim upstairs. She heard the alarm beep and 15 seconds later, our dog completely loses it at the top of the stairs. The dog is looking at the downstairs landing, fur up and teeth bared, barking her head off! Again, nobody there. It rattled her enough that she left.
Yesterday, she locked up and turned on the front porch light. Backing out of the drive she notices the front light is off. I'm not talking about electric shorts here, but the on/off switch physically moved to the off position! These lights, alarm and door lock events just keep happening.
The house is only 10 years old and there is no reported history of violence. The guy who sold us the house did say that his first wife just abandoned him and the three kids one day. I'm going to research a bit and see if she abandoned him or she just disappeared! I had a 200ft trench dug on Saturday to run utilities to various parts of the property. Since Saturday, the weird stuff has really ramped up. Maybe the first wife is buried out there somewhere!

Edited by mdg2003 2017-09-05 8:30 AM

2017-09-05 10:39 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: I think my new house has a 'guest'

Time to set up some deer cams in the house.

2017-09-05 12:49 PM

User image

I would set up some kind of camera system to see if anythings going on. Who changed the locks , you or hire someone ? The incident with your wife and the dog would have me worried. The rest I'd chalk up to flukes or something. But for the dog to be that worked up I'd be a little freaked. What seems weird is why would someone flip off the front porch light before your wife left the driveway. Is there more then one switch that controls the porch lights ? Meaning chance of forgetting to actually flip it. Other then that maybe watch poltergeist to get ready to move in.
2017-09-05 12:52 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Other then that maybe watch poltergeist to get ready to move in.

Yeah, if your kid starts talking to you from inside the TV......you're rat forked.

2017-09-05 1:06 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Other then that maybe watch poltergeist to get ready to move in.

Yeah, if your kid starts talking to you from inside the TV......you're rat forked.

He definitely should not put a pool in !!
2017-09-06 8:10 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Everything settled down with the dog. She made friends and plays with it upstairs now.

2017-09-14 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Well, it has all stopped. It's been a week since we've had any weird stuff happen. I'm not sure what was happening, but it appears to be over, at least for now anyhoo.

Fug it, I'm putting in a pool.
2017-09-14 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by mdg2003 Well, it has all stopped. It's been a week since we've had any weird stuff happen. I'm not sure what was happening, but it appears to be over, at least for now anyhoo. Fug it, I'm putting in a pool.

Sounds like whatever was there accepted you and your family. 

2017-09-14 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by mdg2003 Well, it has all stopped. It's been a week since we've had any weird stuff happen. I'm not sure what was happening, but it appears to be over, at least for now anyhoo. Fug it, I'm putting in a pool.
Classic spectral tatic. Lull you into a false sense of calm before the storm. Hope your daughter doesn't have any dolls! The heads slowly spinning around and black eyes rolling side to side are tough to see. Any red balloons tied up near the house. Sewer grate maybe?

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2017-09-14 2:52 PM
2017-09-14 4:13 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Uhh, so this is NOT a good omen?

Edited by mdg2003 2017-09-14 4:14 PM

(IMG_0351.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0351.JPG (1429KB - 12 downloads)
2017-09-15 7:15 AM

User image

I wouldn't worry one little bit

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2017-09-15 7:18 AM

(IMG_4398.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_4398.JPG (88KB - 9 downloads)

2017-09-15 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure whether the timing would make that possible but something to consider....Any possibility your pets could be doing these things themselves? Over the years, I've had cats who were capable of (sometimes repeatedly, on an almost daily basis) doing the following: opening doors with doorknobs, opening drawers and closets, trapping the other cat and themselves inside a drawer or closet, turning the AC on and off, turning lights on and off, adjusting the thermostat, turning the TV on using the remote, turning on the washing machine, pulling the drainage tube out of the floor and flooding the apartment while laundry was in progress, removing all clothes from a closet or drawer and arranging them into a nest, piling up all covers on a neatly made bed, making a kitten-sized "doll" out of cat fur, and placing said "doll" in the middle of the "nest"--some of these all in the same day. In a few cases, the cat has appeared to show surprise or fear at the results of their own antics--it's hard to give a cat credit for "faking it" but have to wonder! In many cases I suspected an intruder, boyfriend or roommate playing pranks, or maybe a landlord making unannounced visits, until I caught the cat in the act at a later date.

One cat had the oddest compulsion--I had a little Monopoly game piece that I kept meaning to give back to the friend who had brought the set one day, and kept forgetting to do so. I put the piece in a little ceramic vase on a table; every day when I returned the piece was in the same spot on the floor. Beginning to wonder about "poltergeist" until I caught kitty in the act. I didn't punish her, but she knew I'd seen her in action--never did it again. Animals can be more complicated than we think.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-09-15 7:46 AM
2017-09-15 7:52 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

That's probably a good thought to have. It's "his pets"

(IMG_4399.GIF)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_4399.GIF (750KB - 10 downloads)
2017-09-15 8:29 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Not sure whether the timing would make that possible but something to consider....Any possibility your pets could be doing these things themselves? Over the years, I've had cats who were capable of (sometimes repeatedly, on an almost daily basis) doing the following: opening doors with doorknobs, opening drawers and closets, trapping the other cat and themselves inside a drawer or closet, turning the AC on and off, turning lights on and off, adjusting the thermostat, turning the TV on using the remote, turning on the washing machine, pulling the drainage tube out of the floor and flooding the apartment while laundry was in progress, removing all clothes from a closet or drawer and arranging them into a nest, piling up all covers on a neatly made bed, making a kitten-sized "doll" out of cat fur, and placing said "doll" in the middle of the "nest"--some of these all in the same day. In a few cases, the cat has appeared to show surprise or fear at the results of their own antics--it's hard to give a cat credit for "faking it" but have to wonder! In many cases I suspected an intruder, boyfriend or roommate playing pranks, or maybe a landlord making unannounced visits, until I caught the cat in the act at a later date.

One cat had the oddest compulsion--I had a little Monopoly game piece that I kept meaning to give back to the friend who had brought the set one day, and kept forgetting to do so. I put the piece in a little ceramic vase on a table; every day when I returned the piece was in the same spot on the floor. Beginning to wonder about "poltergeist" until I caught kitty in the act. I didn't punish her, but she knew I'd seen her in action--never did it again. Animals can be more complicated than we think.

Definitely not the pets unlocking things. We take the dog home with us every night. We're not moved in. I have a lot of tools and equipment in the house and nothing is missing. Nothing appears amiss except the lights and door lock thing. We considered that someone was spending the night for some reason, but there's no evidence to support it. No extra trash or anything left behind. All of it has stopped for the time being, so who knows; maybe we were just tired and thought we had locked up and turned on all the lights!
2017-09-21 1:22 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano
Classic spectral tatic. Lull you into a false sense of calm before the storm. Hope your daughter doesn't have any dolls! The heads slowly spinning around and black eyes rolling side to side are tough to see. Any red balloons tied up near the house. Sewer grate maybe?

I would also confirm whether your daughter's dolls have arms long enough to wrap around her neck. 

2017-11-04 12:48 PM

That's creepy! I believe in ghosts, and if the house is haunted, not sure I could remain living there.

2017-11-05 6:50 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Pro
Tejas
After a lengthy renovation, we've finally moved in! All the nonsense with the lights and doors has stopped and all seems well for now. No more spooky events with the dog on the stairs and the house is really quiet at night. I've put so much labor and invested so much time in this house, that it immediately felt like our 'home' as soon as our furniture was moved in! We're enjoying a nightly fire in the backyard and finally getting a chance to relax a bit. Still a few odds and ends at the other house, but we have until Weds. to get it all moved over.

The dog has found an endless source of old deer bones in the back field and shows up with a new one on an almost daily basis. We joke that each new bone is a part of the former owner's ex, but until she brings us a femur or something longer than 6-8 inches, were assuming there's nothing to get alarmed about.

The wife still insisted on having a priest drop by and bless the place... just in case...
2017-11-05 8:44 PM

User image

Pro

Congrats!  Enjoy your new digs!!  (sorry for the old corny saying......I'm in a constant state of training so that I can continue to embarrass my children)

Edited by Left Brain 2017-11-05 8:46 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I think my new house has a 'guest' Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New England bound

Started by Renee
Views: 1159 Posts: 7

2016-09-06 11:01 AM Renee