BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2018-06-30 10:38 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Swim Kick in Wet Suit

Thanks Nathalie.

I have a question about staying aero with regards to climbing hills.  I am a skinny guy who is really flexible.  Two weeks after I go from a mountain bike to my first TT bike I was doing all of my bike rides under 90 minutes 100% in aero and rides longer than that I only come out when arms, hands or feet got numb and needed to be shaken out.  I was told to always ride in aero and to resist coming out of aero on hills so that i could practice holding that position.  Well climbing hill in aero can drop my speed to about 1/2 may average speed for a ride so about 2 years ago I started to come out of the seat a lot during work outs because 1) it helped prevent my hands, arms, feet from getting numb on longer rides and 2) it got to where I was only dropping about 25% of me speed instead of 50%. 

I noticed my heart rate rises about 10-20 BPM when I am out of the saddle on hill climbs.  I figure I am using more of my running type muscles and my run thresholds are 10-20 BPM higher so that might not be a big deal.  What is recommend for long race triathlons on the hills.  Do you sit down and let your pace fall so you don't raise your Heart Rate, or do you stand up to keep your pace from dropping too much?  

2018-07-04 12:09 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Happy 4th--I'm back from Africa
Hi Everyone:

Happy 4th. I hope you all have a terrific holiday.

I got in last night from 2 1/2 weeks in Africa on a safari. We had a fabulous trip, ate and drank too much but created a lifetime of wonderful memories. Now it's back to the grind.

I hope your summer training is going well. I'm looking forward to getting caught up on what everyone has been doing. My goal is to start building back my fitness and drop some of the pounds I picked up in Kenya!

Best,

Steve
2018-07-04 2:50 PM
in reply to: lutzman

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: RE: Happy 4th-
Happy Fourth everyone - I’m happy for the holiday as it’s giving me some extra rest! I’ve been lurking on the forum- too much work, training and sleep!

I’m 9 1/2 weeks out from my first Ironman- and hitting all of my key workouts, but the fatigue is starting to set in. While I still want/need the extra training time, a big part of me just wants to just be done. I’m hoping that training in the summer heat is giving me a little extra edge.

Hope everyone’s training and races are going well.

Thanks Rob
2018-07-05 1:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I noticed my heart rate rises about 10-20 BPM when I am out of the saddle on hill climbs.  I figure I am using more of my running type muscles and my run thresholds are 10-20 BPM higher so that might not be a big deal.  What is recommend for long race triathlons on the hills.  Do you sit down and let your pace fall so you don't raise your Heart Rate, or do you stand up to keep your pace from dropping too much? 

Hey Curtis,

I've kinda talked about this in the past although not specifically in the context of how to ride hills.  The short answer to your question is it's best to "flatten the course" when riding a triathlon - slightly more power going up hills, slightly less power down hills.  You want to avoid large surges that spike your heart rate.

When you are riding at a steady state as you would be during a flat section of the bike leg in a triathlon, your body is largely using fat for fuel.  However, when you surge up a steep hill or in the face of a strong headwind - your body will require more energy than the aerobic energy system can provide.   To meet the increasing energy demands, your body will begin processing higher amounts of glycogen (carbohydrate).  The problem is there's only a limited supply of glycogen in our bodies.  Glycogen stores can't be replenished while you are exercising so when those glycogen stores are gone, they are gone.  You've likely heard the term - "burning matches."  This is specifically what that term refers to.  You only have so much carbohydrate stored in your body.  If you burn it up during short surges climbing hill or making a "vanity pass" (for example, catching and passing that young kid that just blew by you and damaged your ego) you won't have the carbohydrate later in the day when you need it during the run.

Below I uploaded a sample pacing guide for a 70.3 triathlon.  This particular guide is for an athlete that has an FTP of 300 watts.  the important takeaway is that the plan doesn't allow for any surges.  It outlines steady state riding with slightly more power going up hills.  Following the pacing guide, even the very steepest hills, power is never above 100% FTP to avoid surges and using critical glycogen stores.  While it's true you will use increasing amounts of glycogen as your power output approaches your threshold, you will still be using less than if you make a sudden surge.

Hope that answers the question.

(70.3 pacing.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
70.3 pacing.jpg (37KB - 20 downloads)
2018-07-05 1:53 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Happy 4th--I'm back from Africa

Originally posted by lutzman

Hi Everyone:

Happy 4th. I hope you all have a terrific holiday.

I got in last night from 2 1/2 weeks in Africa on a safari. We had a fabulous trip, ate and drank too much but created a lifetime of wonderful memories. Now it's back to the grind.

I hope your summer training is going well. I'm looking forward to getting caught up on what everyone has been doing. My goal is to start building back my fitness and drop some of the pounds I picked up in Kenya!

Best,

Steve

Steve,

Welcome back!  Glad to see the Lions didn't get you!

2018-07-05 2:09 PM
in reply to: Turner100

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Happy 4th-

Originally posted by Turner100

I’m 9 1/2 weeks out from my first Ironman- and hitting all of my key workouts, but the fatigue is starting to set in.

Thanks Rob

Hey Rob,

The goal of training is too create that fatigue.  Just remember to listen to your body.  While it's good to push and continually challenge yourself, there is a point where enough is enough.  Your body will tell you if you get to that point.

Look on the bright side - it's only 9 1/2 more weeks.  Of course, then you might find your self signing up for another one!

2018-07-06 8:54 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Happy 4th--I'm back from Africa

Originally posted by k9car363

Steve,

Welcome back!  Glad to see the Lions didn't get you!

One of my friends in college used to tell me that when the sun comes up in Africa each day the gazelle knows that it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will not survive.  As the sun comes up in Africa the lion knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle that day to survive.  So, it makes no difference if you are a gazelle or a lion, when the sun comes up in Africa you better be running.  

-Curtis-

Oh... and yes, on the hill climbing question I thought it might be more of an aero thing to not come out of the saddle and save watts.  If it is just the heart rate I can manage that.  When I come out of the saddle on hills I might have the Heart Rate climb from 118 BPM to 128 BPM.  I am not racing up the hill though, just using my  weight and rotating my hips at a cadence that is 10-15 RPM lower than my cadence on flats to keep the rhythm going and not kill my momentum.  I usually don't come out of the saddle until I can't keep the RPM over 85 RPM in the gear I want to ride in. The pace chart helps too.  :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2018-07-06 9:08 AM
2018-07-10 2:07 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Thanks Nathalie.

I have a question about staying aero with regards to climbing hills.  I am a skinny guy who is really flexible.  Two weeks after I go from a mountain bike to my first TT bike I was doing all of my bike rides under 90 minutes 100% in aero and rides longer than that I only come out when arms, hands or feet got numb and needed to be shaken out.  I was told to always ride in aero and to resist coming out of aero on hills so that i could practice holding that position.  Well climbing hill in aero can drop my speed to about 1/2 may average speed for a ride so about 2 years ago I started to come out of the seat a lot during work outs because 1) it helped prevent my hands, arms, feet from getting numb on longer rides and 2) it got to where I was only dropping about 25% of me speed instead of 50%. 

Hi Cutis:

I saw your note on staying aero during hill climbs. Scott is certainly correct relative to controlling HR to minimize fatigue over the course of the longer distance. Another consideration is your speed during the climb. There is no real aero dynamic advantage to maintaining the aero position once your speed drops below about 15 mph (assuming no head wind). So once you’re in the main part of the hill and your speed drops, there is no reason to stay in the aero position if you need the relief or your just more comfortable climbing in a more upright position on the hoods.

The body position on any decent tri bike naturally forces the hips into a more closed position....which reduces power, especially if bike fit isn’t proper such as having the seat too far forward. Sitting up actually opens the hips and allows a more powerful peddle stroke while maintaining the same HR. Of course, if you’ve got a headwind or you climb like a Tour de France pro, you don’t want to give away the aero advantage in exchange for additional watts. But for most of us coming up out of aero once our speed drops on the hills is a reasonable approach.

For me, standing on the pedals for a short burst adds power, but comes with a high cost. I get fatigued fairly quickly while standing on a hill and my HR spikes. Over the years I’ve come to the conclusion that a strong, steady rythym up a hill in an upright seated position is superior to standing and superior to staying down in the aero position.

Steve
2018-07-10 4:57 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN
Hi there! I hope this thread is in the right area in the forum.

I'm a 58 yr old newly retired teacher looking to do her first triathlon. I have run races (4 1/2 marathons and shorter distances), but nothing on bike and swimming is definitely my weak area. I have private swimming lessons scheduled, and purchased a new road bike! Yea!

I have a TRX, and am willing to buy weight equipment for strength training as well. I haven't found a race or distance yet, but am thinking a Sprint is a good start, though I'm open to longer distances. I live in the Eugene, OR area, so there isn't much around here for tri's. Going to have to take a trip!

Could you guide me towards a training plan for gray haired athletes?

Thank you in advance and for any coaching tips or advice you may have as I train. (side note: It sure would be nice to join a group that is training for the same race).

Best,
Nadine

Edited by nadinez 2018-07-10 4:59 PM
2018-07-10 11:23 PM
in reply to: nadinez

User image

Regular
Originally posted by nadinez

I'm a 58 yr old newly retired teacher looking to do her first triathlon. I have run races (4 1/2 marathons and shorter distances), but nothing on bike and swimming is definitely my weak area. I have private swimming lessons scheduled, and purchased a new road bike! Yea!

Could you guide me towards a training plan for gray haired athletes?

Thank you in advance and for any coaching tips or advice you may have as I train. (side note: It sure would be nice to join a group that is training for the same race).

Best,
Nadine

Hi Nadine:

Welcome. You’’ll find lots of helpful advice in this group. There are athletes at all levels of triathlon from beginners to experienced competitors. So this is a great forum to ask questions and learn.

There are a number of training plans available right on the BT website. Depending on your membership level, you can access the various plans based on your experience and ability. Bottom line, as a beginner getting into your first race, there are lots of plans you can access on the internet at no charge.

The key at this point is to just have fun and enjoy the journey.

Best,

steve
2018-07-11 5:43 PM
in reply to: nadinez

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by nadinez

I have a TRX, and am willing to buy weight equipment for strength training as well. I haven't found a race or distance yet, but am thinking a Sprint is a good start, though I'm open to longer distances. I live in the Eugene, OR area, so there isn't much around here for tri's. Going to have to take a trip!

Could you guide me towards a training plan for gray haired athletes? Thank you in advance and for any coaching tips or advice you may have as I train. (side note: It sure would be nice to join a group that is training for the same race).

Best,
Nadine

Hi Nadine,

As Steve said, there are a number of plans right here on Beginner Triathlete.  You didn't mention what race distance you are considering - however BR has plans for all the distances.  The most important thing is having a plan.  WHICH plan isn't so important as HAVING a plan.  Obviously you want to choose a plan that it commensurate with your fitness level - i.e. you don't want to jump in to a plan requiring working out 20-hours per week if you've only been exercising a couple hours per week.  Once you have a plan, consistency is the single most important factor that will contribute to success.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.  There's a great group of people here that are only too happy to help.

2018-07-11 10:05 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by lutzman Over the years I’ve come to the conclusion that a strong, steady rythym up a hill in an upright seated position is superior to standing and superior to staying down in the aero position. Steve

Thanks!

2018-07-13 7:03 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: weekend
Anyone racing this weekend?
2018-07-16 1:37 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Race Week for me
It’s a race week for me. I’ve got the ChelanMan Olympic coming on Saturday. This started out as my “A” race of the season. But the combination of a series of small nagging injuries, a two week+ trip to Africa and a new job requiring constant travel quite effectively disrupted my training. So, instead of racing, I’ll go out for the pure fun of the sport and settle into the middle of the pack.

The swim is really the jewel of the course. It’s held on Lake Chelan, which is the third deepest lake in the U.S. The water is crystal clear and so clean people still pull their drinking water directly from the lake. It’s just a wonderful experience to look down 20 or 30 feet during the swim. And it’s been quite hot so the water temp will be very comfortable. The only downside is the hot temps will make the run a bit of a beast.

In anycase, it should be a fun Saturday.

Have a great week!

Steve
2018-07-17 6:47 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: Another Cheater Busted! And then all hell breaks loose
We've all read the stories of course cutters getting busted at big triathlons. Here's a new one. After a woman did some bragging on social media about her spectacular bike splits her claims caught the eyes of competitors...who started looking more closely at her performance. Usually, there is a claim of a lost timing chip or confusion on the course...or no response at all. But the crazy part is she posted a Strava file that clearly showed she did not complete the full course distance!

Then it got weird.

Once she figured out people were looking at her race file she altered her Strava file to try (unsuccessfully) to make it look like she completed the distance.

She was then contacted by Honest Athlete and Marathon Investigations for explanation/comment and or even an apology. Instead they got a sh-t storm that included racial slurs, swearing, threats, allegations of a conspiracy and more. It is totally unhinged. And it is really strange that this woman is supposedly an elementary school teacher.

In any case, it's a crazy, crazy story. Worth reading just to understand how badly people want to win admiration (without earning it).

https://honestathlete211358887.wordpress.com/

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2018/07/disqualified-triathlet...

Steve

2018-07-18 3:47 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Another Cheater Busted! And then all hell breaks loose
Why do people do that? I understand when there is money involved (but do not condone of course, it’s still despicable, even worse) but a 49 year old age grouper? What’s in it for her?

2018-07-18 9:27 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Why do people do that? I understand when there is money involved (but do not condone of course, it’s still despicable, even worse) but a 49 year old age grouper? What’s in it for her?

No kidding. It’s pretty absurd. I can see how she might have just lost her head in the stress of the race and then had a significant lapse of judgement when caught.. Fine, we’re all fallable. Take your lumps, apologize profusely, claim “rookie” mistake and move on to greener pastures. But instead she gets out her gasoline can to turn a small flicker into a raging dumpster fire and in the process become a poster child for morally bankrupt individuals. And it is all 100% self inflicted.

Crazy.
2018-07-18 1:35 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Why do people do that? I understand when there is money involved (but do not condone of course, it’s still despicable, even worse) but a 49 year old age grouper? What’s in it for her?

I'm the same way.  At least if there are millions of dollars on the line, I can understand the motivation.  That doesn't make it right, but at least you can see a "why."  All I can think is getting the accolades from Social Media is everything to this woman.  When you dig in to this, it's pretty obvious it was premeditated and she was planning to lie all along.  So why didn't she just go out to the race venue, snap a couple pictures, go home and post "look at my race" to Facebook (or whatever).  Nobody would have been the wiser and everyone would have been happy -- she'd of gotten her "atta-girls" and the race wouldn't have had a cheater.  As it was, she made ridiculous public claims that begged to be looked into.  The sad thing, beyond she clearly needs some help, is the people in her social media circle probably aren't running in circles that would have seen the whole incident exposed - so she'll be free to do it all again.

2018-07-18 1:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Why do people do that? I understand when there is money involved (but do not condone of course, it’s still despicable, even worse) but a 49 year old age grouper? What’s in it for her?

No kidding. It’s pretty absurd. I can see how she might have just lost her head in the stress of the race and then had a significant lapse of judgement when caught.. Fine, we’re all fallable. Take your lumps, apologize profusely, claim “rookie” mistake and move on to greener pastures. But instead she gets out her gasoline can to turn a small flicker into a raging dumpster fire and in the process become a poster child for morally bankrupt individuals. And it is all 100% self inflicted.

Crazy.

I've had athlete's competing in this race each of the past three years.  I've been to the race on multiple occasions.  You don't just "miss" the turns on this bike course.  Why did she soft-pedal the bike unless she was PLANNING to cut the course and wanted to keep her time from being more unbelievable than it was.

Then, when she went completely off the deep end when confronted, well, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

2018-07-18 8:56 PM

User image

Regular

Crazy.

I've had athlete's competing in this race each of the past three years.  I've been to the race on multiple occasions.  You don't just "miss" the turns on this bike course.  Why did she soft-pedal the bike unless she was PLANNING to cut the course and wanted to keep her time from being more unbelievable than it was.

Then, when she went completely off the deep end when confronted, well, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

All this talk of the crazy response of this woman reminded me of this video of the hot/crazy zones that hit the internet a few years ago. I imagine you've seen it, but it's pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk
2018-07-19 8:21 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

All this talk of the crazy response of this woman reminded me of this video of the hot/crazy zones that hit the internet a few years ago. I imagine you've seen it, but it's pretty funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk

I showed my wife and said, "Look babe, you're almost a Unicorn."  

She rolled her eyes as she said, "So you think I'm crazy?"

2018-07-20 4:31 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

At least if there are millions of dollars on the line, I can understand the motivation. 

Millions of dollars doesn't motivate everyone.  I went to the University of Wyoming where a large percentage of my close friends grew up in rural communities on small family farms.  Three of those friends were first cousins that were children of my dad's older brother. They didn't have any money. I make the 5 hour trip home with my cousins one week end when I was in college and seeing my uncle using orange bailing twine through the belt loops on his trousers to hold them up really hit home how poor they were. My Cousin Sarah had things figured out though.  One night when were sitting around in college apartments talking about the weightier things of life she said that money didn't matter to her because her parents never had money they were always happy growing up.  I loved going to visit them growing up.  It wasn't until I was getting into my teens that it ever occurred to me that they were financially disadvantages.  My Cousin Ben also had it figured out.  He was a missionary in Jamaica under a Mission President from the Denver.  When Cousin Ben returned to college his Mission President returned to his home in Denver just a short Drive from us.  Of the hundreds of missionaries that worked in Jamaica under this mission president Cousin Ben was his favorite.  This Mission president had millions of dollars and want to help a struggling college student.  He found out that Cousin Ben needed a car and as a young person without established credit or a full time job was wondering how he would qualify for a loan or be able to get the vehicle that he needed.  His Mission President offered to loan him the money but Cousin Ben wouldn't accept the loan because he thought that his mission president would let him make one or two payments then gift the rest rest to him.  He said that wasn't right. He believed that if he wasn't able to make the sacrifice to earn something himself that it was the lazy man's way out to accept it as a gift and that laziness would lower his self work more than the gift was worth. 

So....happiness comes from hard work not from money. Trying to find happiness from cutting corners or cheating doesn't work.  The praise and accolades are empty when you cheated.

I did win $200 at a race last year (not millions) and i donated it right back to the race organization 2 minutes after it was awarded to me.  I wasn't there for the money. 

2018-07-22 9:14 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Race Report--Lake Chelan "ChelanMan"
I got in my third Oly tri of the year yesterday at the ChelanMan. My fitness was about as expected (deficient) but overall I had a pretty good day.

It was a crazy start to the day. To get to the race I had to be up at 4:00. So, I dutifully started getting ready for bed at 9:30 with lights out at 10:00 pm. At 10:40 the smoke alarms go off in my house....and then stop. I wake up from an already very deep sleep completely confused about whats going on...because the smoke alarm has stopped. I say to my wife, "did you hear that." To which she says, "oh yeah."

So I get up and start wandering the house trying to see if there is smoke or a fire. Nothing. I look in every room, the garage; nothing. So, back to bed. 11:10--back in bed just falling back to sleep, smoke alarms go off in the entire house...and then stop.

So I get up again concluding it must be missing something. Since all of the alarms are wired, when one goes off it sends a relay so every alarm goes off. I. can't find a thing. Now I'm thinking faulty alarm

So, now I've got to sit and wait for the next false alarm so I can locate the faulty one. Sure enough, about 20 minutes later I hear the alarm downstairs go and a second later the entire house alarm system is shrieking...and then stop. Ah ha! Downstairs is the answer!

So, downstairs there are three bedrooms, a wine cellar, a craft room, media room and my office all with alarms. Well, I've narrowed it down. So down I go to wait for the next alarm.About 20 minutes later, boom another alarm allowing me to again narrower it down to one side of the house. And so it went until after 3 more bouts I finally located the faulty alarm and disabled it.

At 1:08 a.m. I crawled back into bed. So, when the 4 a.m. call came I was really tired. I got up, drove to race and got ready to go. I went for a short run, then got into my wetsuit and did a short swim. I then sat down on a picnic bench and reflected on how tired I felt. Then the gun went off and I never felt tired again. Crazy, I actually had a pretty good race that was only limited by my lack of training over the past few weeks.

The swim in Chelan is just fabulous. As I've mentioned before, the lake water is crystal clear. Better still, when they lay down the buoy markers for the triangular course they link them together with a white nylon rope that is about 10 feet under water. So, you never have to look up to sight. It's like having a line on the bottom of the pool. You just follow that white rope and end up at the finish. It's just a wonderful swim.

There were 8 in my AG. I finished 3rd overall. I was 69th/169 men. So, a decent gray guy outing given where I'm at with my training. I actually was OK on the swim (56/169) Not fast, but very steady and I came out of the water feeling quite good.

My bike was pretty good (52/169). My fitness is getting better. The only downside is my neck bothered me a lot and I had to keep popping up out of aero to give my aching neck a rest. I've just got to get out for more long weekend rides in the aero position.

My run stunk. That was to be expected because I just haven't put in the workouts due to nagging, minor injuries. I was just out of gas on the run. It was a warm day so I stopped to walk at every mile to grab water and gatorade before starting up again. I ended up (87/169) with a 54 minute 10K....probably the slowest 10K I've ever run. Lack of run workouts will do that.

All things considered, it was a fun day and I'm glad I did the race. And it was a good lesson that even though I got very little sleep the night before, it seemed to have no effect on my race. Good to know for one of those future races where I toss and turn with minimal sleep the night before a big race.

Best,

Steve

2018-07-22 2:59 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Race Report--Lake Chelan "ChelanMan"
Thanks for the race report Steve. Wow, racing on 3 hours sleep! Well done, I can’t do anything on 3 hours sleep!
2018-07-22 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Race Report--Lake Chelan "ChelanMan"
That is a beautiful course and one of my all-time favorites, especially the swim (I did the HIM several years ago as my first race at that distance). Great job after so much drama the night before! Yes, I know, I've jumped into the wrong group but I saw "Chelan" on the forum topic--haven't seen anything from our neck of the woods for a long time--and felt like checking it out!

Edited by Hot Runner 2018-07-22 6:27 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9441 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 944 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Baowolf