BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-11-03 8:28 PM
in reply to: #5251406

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open
Whoop whoop! Loving the activity.
On a 4 day trip with a head cold. Tomorrow is another long day but seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on Monday. Having to relax and get healthy to work, so just walking during this 4 day trip. Boo. Hopefully when I get back to DC on Monday I’ll feel good enough to head to the gym.

2018-11-05 6:24 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Busy this weekend...spin class and some core work on Saturday, 1500 in the pool on Sunday while watching both my football teams (PSU and Ravens) get throttled.  This morning I struggled through an anaerobic workout on the trainer - probably a bad idea at 5:45 AM.  Traveling to Tampa this afternoon so some hotel gym time.

2018-11-05 8:21 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Juancho

So good to hear so much activity lately in this group! It did help me so much in the past to find the motivation, and it did again!

7k run this morning, cold sunny day -perfect weather- at 5.31, happy to get back in the mood.
Now need to get a plan for 2019: focus on 10k run on Dec 31st, find a HIM in April, my "A" race will be HIM Vichy (France) in August.
Trying to get rid of 4-5 kg, but at the same time trying to get certified by WSET -wine school- so not easy hahaha
Have a great and active long weekend!

Juan

Wine school sounds amazing! What am I doing taking biochem and statistics?! I'm doing it all wrong!
2018-11-05 8:25 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a weekend down in TN with the best laid plans to run at least 2 times. I failed. Back in the pool tomorrow though. Time to get focused. You guys will help with that though!
2018-11-05 12:34 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

So...the Half Marathon didn't go all as expected.  I had a great time though.  The only thing that really went as expected? - no sleep the night before the race, due to 3am wakeup plus paranoia that I would miss my alarm

Wasn't really planning on a PR HM for myself, the plan was to pace my friend to his PR.  The kicker is, he's faster than I am in training.  Every single training run, every interval workout, every long run - he's faster than I am.  Yet when it comes to race day, he can't seem to do it.  Usually because he starts out feeling good, goes too fast with dreams of qualifying for Boston or something, then falls apart.  Sound familiar?  

So we start out, mile 1, 2, 3, 4 - and I've got us bang on pace.  Mile 5ish he stops to use the portapotty, and I slow down to wait.  No big deal, he can be speedy for a mile and catch me esp since I slowed up.  He caught me as expected, but then needed a walk break.  He said nothing felt good, and needed one walk break after the next.  We're approaching mile 6 of 13.1 here...  

The next walk break he drops back and doesn't tell me, and by the time I realize it and stop, I can't see him.  I start walking backwards for a while, and still can't see him.  At this point, any hope of getting him a PR is gone.  There's zero chance for me getting my PR, I've got like 9 minutes on him in that department.  So what do I do?

Well, it's a Disney race, so there are tons of character photo stops.  I decide to go for a PR in number character photos!  In my past 4 RunDisney races, I tended to not stop for character pics since there's a line of people, and I'm trying to PR.  Yesterday I was early out on course (Corral B, behind the elites and sub-1:50 crowd), so the lines were minimal.  So I'm thinking, instead of a PR, can I make character stops AND break the 2 hour mark?  Let's try!

I managed 6 character photo stops - Chip and Dale (dressed as dinosaurs in Dinoland in Animal Kingdom), the penguins from the animated part of Mary Poppins, Mr. and Mrs. Incredible, Sports Daisy near Wide World of Sports, Duchess from Aristocats, and the Dragon from Mulan.  Didn't quite hit the 2 hour part, though.  I was staying ahead of the RunDisney 2 hour pace group - however it was the one from the corral that started 4 minutes behind me.  I finished in 2:02.  Officially my slowest HM, but definitely the most fun (minus the business of losing my running buddy).

Sidenote - yes the characters are pretty random.  They do that on purpose, there is a whole slew of disney nerds that seek out 'rare' characters for photo ops.  So Disney pulls some out for special events like the RunDisney races, and the International Food and Wine Festival, which is what the HM was part of.  The one that I missed and am still mad at myself - Stitch dressed as sequin Elvis, dancing to Elvis tunes.

No RR for this one, as all of the questions are too much about trying for your own goals and why they did or didn't happen.  Instead of 'why did your running buddy fall apart, and you changed your goal to stopping for Disney characters' hahahaha.

2018-11-05 6:16 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

John - now that is how to run a race!

2018-11-05 6:55 PM
in reply to: #5251463

User image

, Vermont
John, that sounds like the most fun race ever!!!! The nice thing is that you’ve spent time training, are fit, and made the most of a bit of an odd situation which kept it fun and interesting! You won’t ever forget this race, it won’t get lost in the fog of many races. Excellent job!
2018-11-05 6:58 PM
in reply to: #5251519

User image

, Vermont
Well, I finished a 4 day trip with a cold and they have immediately put me on a two day trip tomorrow. I was hoping for some gym time. The cold has lessened but my throat is flairing up again. What the heck? I know, be patient. I haven’t been sick or had even a mild cold in over a year so I’m being impatient. Haha. This too shall come to pass.
2018-11-06 10:06 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All!!

I made it to Egypt and then immediately jumped into 15 hours a day of work. It is crazy how busy I get here, but still making time for some EARLY morning runs. Early as in hours before the sun actually makes an appearance. I tend to get up with the first call to prayer (Fajr--aka dawn, but it is at 4:30am). I hit my run, dodging donkey poop and packs of roving wild dogs who bark and growl (but hopefully won't bite). I brought with me a headlamp and light up vest this season, just to make sure I can run before I have to start working. Daylight is so short here, I have to start analyzing skeletons as soon as the sun is up and quit when the sun goes down...then, the paperwork begins!

I'm attaching two photos (I hope!). One is the southern view from the dig house roof--note the road, that is where I run. The other is the northern view from the dighouse roof...note the vast nothingness that is Amarna.

(IMG_1494.JPG)

(IMG_1495.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1494.JPG (2214KB - 10 downloads)
IMG_1495.JPG (1829KB - 11 downloads)
2018-11-06 2:57 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

John, that sounds like the most fun race ever!!!! The nice thing is that you’ve spent time training, are fit, and made the most of a bit of an odd situation which kept it fun and interesting! You won’t ever forget this race, it won’t get lost in the fog of many races. Excellent job!

I second that, that sounds like such an awesome race! So fun and unique! Way to go
2018-11-06 2:58 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Well, I finished a 4 day trip with a cold and they have immediately put me on a two day trip tomorrow. I was hoping for some gym time. The cold has lessened but my throat is flairing up again. What the heck? I know, be patient. I haven’t been sick or had even a mild cold in over a year so I’m being impatient. Haha. This too shall come to pass.

I was diagnosed with Strep A today so it could be worse. Hope you feel better soon!!!

2018-11-06 3:01 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, glad you have been able to get your runs in! I have a fear of dogs not on leashes when I'm running (childhood trauma) so would definitely be sleeping in, lol.

I woke up feeling horrible this morning and it turns out I have Strep A. Slept horribly, I'm achy everywhere and have chills. And my left lymph node is humongous. The NP at the clinic at Hopkins was like, WOWWWWWWWWWW. Yeah. So I'm home and have just woken up from nap number 2. Not having good luck lately.
2018-11-06 9:00 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove ...I have to start analyzing skeletons as soon as the sun is up and quit when the sun goes down...

Gretchen - your job sounds so metal when you put it like that hahahaha

I have no idea how you manage to run in those conditions!  Good on you!

2018-11-06 9:01 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e ...I woke up feeling horrible this morning and it turns out I have Strep A. Slept horribly, I'm achy everywhere and have chills. And my left lymph node is humongous. The NP at the clinic at Hopkins was like, WOWWWWWWWWWW. Yeah. So I'm home and have just woken up from nap number 2. Not having good luck lately.

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!  Throat stuff is right up there with the worst.  Can't breathe, can't swallow, it sucks and I'm sorry you're going through it!  At the very least it's now, and not before your races...

2018-11-06 9:56 PM
in reply to: #5251520

User image

, Vermont
Gretchen, sooooo cool!! That must be so fascinating. You job is so very interesting.
Huge kudos for running there. Please stay safe. I remember from one of your other previous digs you had to run laps back and forth for safety reasons. Does this still apply? Please take care!
2018-11-06 10:00 PM
in reply to: #5251554

User image

, Vermont
Nicole, that stinks, I’m so sorry you have strep. Lay low and rest. I assume since you’ve been diagnosed they’ve got you on antibiotics?
I’ll take my cold and sore throat over your strep any day. I’m hoping I don’t progress to your stage.
Get well soon, girl!

2018-11-06 10:33 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Gretchen, sooooo cool!! That must be so fascinating. You job is so very interesting.
Huge kudos for running there. Please stay safe. I remember from one of your other previous digs you had to run laps back and forth for safety reasons. Does this still apply? Please take care!

I still run laps back and forth, but not so much for safety reasons anymore (Omar the Bandit died). Now it is just because the security force we have guarding us at the house (a total joke, but required nonetheless) isn't willing to go out with me further than they can see from their station. It really is okay, as being the center of an entire village's attention when running isn't much fun. If I went away fromt he house, I'd be swarmed by kids and teenagers trying to see the foreigner being weird. By running near the house, our house manager's (a 75 year old elder of the local village) sheer presence keeps that crap to a minimum. Everyone knows if they hassle me on the road, they will hear about it later from him...or...and more importantly, their mother will hear about it (works even for adults).

2018-11-07 7:06 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nicole, that stinks, I’m so sorry you have strep. Lay low and rest. I assume since you’ve been diagnosed they’ve got you on antibiotics?
I’ll take my cold and sore throat over your strep any day. I’m hoping I don’t progress to your stage.
Get well soon, girl!

Yeah I'm on some strong form of penicillin. Last time I had strep it was strep B, which just goes away on it's own but this time it's Strep A, which does not, and it comes with all the fun symptoms like fever, aches, and headache. I definitely hope you don't get to this point. Apparently it's been going around Hopkins, although I was out of town for the entire incubation period so I'm assuming I picked it up on an airplane or something.
2018-11-07 7:09 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I still run laps back and forth, but not so much for safety reasons anymore (Omar the Bandit died). Now it is just because the security force we have guarding us at the house (a total joke, but required nonetheless) isn't willing to go out with me further than they can see from their station. It really is okay, as being the center of an entire village's attention when running isn't much fun. If I went away fromt he house, I'd be swarmed by kids and teenagers trying to see the foreigner being weird. By running near the house, our house manager's (a 75 year old elder of the local village) sheer presence keeps that crap to a minimum. Everyone knows if they hassle me on the road, they will hear about it later from him...or...and more importantly, their mother will hear about it (works even for adults).

That's pretty funny. I love hearing about different cultures. Keep up the great work, running and skeleton-wise!
2018-11-07 9:51 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

John,

For the few Disney races I've run (at Disneyland) I've never worried about time and just had fun with it. For the Star Wars runs I made sure to get a bunch of pictures. Glad to hear you were able to make the best of it!

Over the weekend while visiting family in San Diego I managed a couple trail runs, one around a lagoon near the beach and the other in the hills above where I was staying. Lots of family activity so it was nice to get away for some peace and quiet on the trails. Looking at maps I found some fun stuff to explore on the hill trails next time I'm down there.  That's part of what I enjoy about trail running, exploring off the beaten path while getting some good exercise.

2018-11-07 9:56 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short run this morning, just 35 minutes. Better than nothing. Having equipment issues in that the batteries on my headlamp are crapping out. I know...batteries, no big deal. Little disc batteries aren't readily available here, so I'm hoping a friend can bring some down from Cairo when she comes on Monday. If not, I'll be running with a flashlight--ugh, holding something in my hand.

2018-11-09 6:44 AM
in reply to: #5251555

User image

, Vermont
RPM spin class yesterday. Planning to get to the gym today.
2018-11-09 5:15 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
That was a great Disney run, way to go!
I realized today that if I write in this group anything, I need to -at least- have done some training - this is the great part of it. Not good just to read and post "I was too lazy to do anything". So it is a great motivation to be able to write my activity (unless I had the will of Gretchen, which I don´t...)

50min spin class today - followed by an amazing red temparanillo with dinner (by the way, the name of the wine is 86.400, this are the seconds to enjoy in every single day)

Juan
2018-11-10 9:49 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
So...how early is too early to run? Opinions? I had a terrible night last night where I woke up at 11:45 and then couldn't get back to sleep. By 1:45, I was so annoyed I got back up. I did a little work, but around 3:30 I decided it was high time for a run. Let me tell you, the house guards were not in agreement. That look that tells you someone thinks you are a complete idiot...yeah, it is the same in all languages. Up side is that the roving pack of wild dogs was sleeping for three of the four laps. They are getting pretty aggressive. I predict they will be gone soon, as someone will come and kill them (a sad reality of life in Egypt--animals mean very little to most people).
2018-11-12 8:35 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

So...how early is too early to run? Opinions? I had a terrible night last night where I woke up at 11:45 and then couldn't get back to sleep. By 1:45, I was so annoyed I got back up. I did a little work, but around 3:30 I decided it was high time for a run. Let me tell you, the house guards were not in agreement. That look that tells you someone thinks you are a complete idiot...yeah, it is the same in all languages. Up side is that the roving pack of wild dogs was sleeping for three of the four laps. They are getting pretty aggressive. I predict they will be gone soon, as someone will come and kill them (a sad reality of life in Egypt--animals mean very little to most people).

They had to be up anyway, right? Why do they care if you are running? I totally get not wanting to just sit around being awake while the world is sleeping. Way to get a run in.
Sad about the dogs. They sound scary though.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 53458 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13462 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363