General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scared Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-08-03 8:23 PM

Subject: Scared
Hi, I signed up for a sprint triathlon in January. It's scheduled for Aug. 19th. I've been trying to train as hard as possible without getting injured. I can swim the the .6 swim ( in a pool ) and bike the 12 miles but, I'm having a hard time with the 3.2 mile run. I'm a 60 year old women and a little overweight. This is my first tri. I'm scared I will do poorly and look foolish. I'm wondering if I should drop out or just go for it, Even if I'm last. Any one out there have any suggestions!!

2018-08-03 8:34 PM
in reply to: #5247428

User image

Subject: RE: Scared
Triathlon is about the journey. The race is just the culmination of all the hard work you have done. My coach always says its not how fit you are its about executing a race for the fitness that you have that day. Just create a plan you can achieve and execute that. No one will judge you and most will admire the effort that you are putting in.
2018-08-03 9:16 PM
in reply to: #5247429

Thank you jnuger, that is great advice!! I'm just having a bad day. I also feel a little overwhelmed about getting all my equipment together. I don't have a wetsuit and will probably rent one. I hope its comfortable and won't hinder my swimming. Also, I hope I can in and out of it quickly??. I think I will take the evening off from training and start fresh in the morning. Thanks again!
2018-08-03 9:56 PM
in reply to: Ann3

dont drop out. at some point during the race doubt will creep in and you will think about quitting, wonder why your doing this. just keep going one step at a time, literally just one foot in front of the other, and you will finish. also, dont think of the full distances if they scare you. break them up into smaller stents. rather its a quarter or half mile or maybe the turn around point just think i only have 1.6 miles then i get to go back. whatever mentally works for you do it. tris are as much mental as they are physical. hang in there mentally, and you will make it physically.
2018-08-03 10:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Tri can be a bit overwhelming with all the equipment. I come from a run background and understand entirely--a run race is so much simpler! No need for bike, tools, wetsuit, helmet, all these mechanical things that can be forgotten or fail mid-race! The checklist on BT (go to "Races" in the menu) has been a godsend for me--I've been in the sport almost eight years now and still use it.

Is it possible for you to rent the wetsuit for a few days before the race as well? Many places will rent for a whole weekend or even 3-4 days for one price. That way you could practice getting in and out of it and maybe even get in a practice swim to gain some confidence. A well-fitting wetsuit should not hinder your swimming; in fact, most people find they are more buoyant and faster in a wetsuit. Some triathletes who are weak swimmers panic if their swim turns out to be not wetsuit-legal! That being said, if you have a strong swim background but haven't swum in a wetsuit before, it does feel "different" and a bit confining at first--takes some getting used to. If you are a strong swimmer and worried about this, and air and water temps aren't too cold, you might consider a sleeveless suit--it feels a bit less confining. I have both sleeved and sleeveless--will choose the latter if water temperatures are borderline and air temps before the start aren't too cold either. Buoyancy is pretty similar but I just prefer the freer feeling of the sleeveless. Plus it's a bit faster to get out of in transition.

Lubrication products like Body Glide definitely help with getting the suit on and off, and preventing chafing. Especially pay attention to calves and forearms, which can get stuck, and neck, which is most likely to chafe. Plus your...er...seat to prevent chafing on the bike.

As for being slow, overweight, or "old". don't worry about it. The sport is popular with people of all ages, shapes, and speeds, and the last finisher often gets more cheers than the first! Even among podium finishers, you see a variety of body types due to the varied demands of the sport. I have great respect for people who take up the sport later in life. In fact many of the athletes I most admire are competing into their 70's, even 80's... That takes great courage and dedication.

Edited by Hot Runner 2018-08-03 10:11 PM
2018-08-03 10:35 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
You've done hundreds of things in your life harder than a triathlon.....enjoy the day!!

2018-08-04 5:38 AM

Hello, I was exactly the same, real trepidation about making myself look daft, but it is such a friendly atmosphere and I didn’t feel out of place and no one cared that my bike didn’t cost a fortune and wasn’t space age. During the run I would say the vast majority were doing a run/walk rather than a flat out run, so that gave me some comfort.

Enjoy it you will feel elated at the end and realise all of the hard work was worth it.
2018-08-04 7:43 AM
in reply to: Tri-Ing26

User image

, Kronobergs lan
You won’t look foolish, most people won’t even care about you, as they will be too into their own race and those who do notice you will probably admire you for being there.
Have fun!
2018-08-04 10:45 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Originally posted by Rollergirl You won’t look foolish, most people won’t even care about you, as they will be too into their own race and those who do notice you will probably admire you for being there. Have fun!

This is exactly right.  Don't think twice about what other people are thinking.  They mostly aren't.

2018-08-04 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

If you want to look foolish, throw a hissy fit about anything and everything that doesn't go the way you *think* it should, scowl at spectators, snarl at competitors, and dress down the race volunteers and officials.  

Additionally, you can look foolish falling over trying to do a flying mount, flying dismount, or starting the run with your bike helmet on (these are more endearing than the above).  

If you avoid doing all of these things (and a few more that I haven't mentioned) you won't look foolish no matter how slow you are or whether you finish last.  

Conversely, smile, graciously thank volunteers, spectators, and race officials for giving you the opportunity to race.  Encourage your fellow participants when they're struggling (even if you're struggling too).  Admire the nice, fast people who stick around to cheer you on.  Make plans to stick around and cheer on the people finishing after you!  (If you haven't figured it out yet, DO THE RACE!)  

As for the swim, without knowing details, I probably wouldn't rent a wetsuit for a sprint.  It's a waaayyyy different experience than swimming laps in the pool.  

2018-08-04 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
If you are undertaking a triathlon at 60 you've already won. That's something to be proud of. Do your best and enjoy the day. I'm a veteran of many races including iron distance but there is nothing like crossing the finish line for the first time.

2018-08-04 6:26 PM

User image

I've only done a couple of sprints, I'm solidly in the middle of the pack. I always try to stay at the finish to cheer on the last people. Sure I admire the people who can do a sub 1 hr sprint like they're checking off their morning warm-up. But I respect the hell out of the people who have to give everything to get over the finish line, and still do.

Edited by riles32807 2018-08-04 6:28 PM
2018-08-05 1:32 AM

Do not let your fear stop you! I did my first sprint last year. Had a panic in the water. Exited 2nd or 3rd from last. Finished the whole thing in more than 2 hours. It was a disaster despite all my training. BUT I had a lot of fun and this year I came back more determined and enthusiastic! Race day for me is all about fun unless you are a pro for who this is a day in the office, don't care about anything but your smile! Enjoy!
2018-08-05 3:39 AM

User image

Nienburg, Lower Saxony
Subject: Age group
dear Ann,

thanks,
you are very great and courageous !

all the best, a lot of fun and your personal success !

greetings
2018-08-05 8:28 AM

User image

If the people who replied before I found this post haven't convinced you to do the race, here's my two cents.

I'm not a sixty year old woman, just a 46 year old man. I have yet to do a sprint triathlon where there wasn't some walking involved during the run. I am definitely a back of the pack guy, and if I appear foolish to anyone, they do a good job of not letting me in on the joke. Almost everyone in this sport is very kind.

As far as the wet suit goes, It may be too hot to wear one anyway. If the water temperature is over 78 degrees, they aren't allowed. I don't know where you are from, but I would guess most places would be too hot in the middle of August for a wet suit.

Enjoy your race,

J White
2018-08-05 3:22 PM
in reply to: Jwse30

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well...Calgary 70.3 would have been nippy without a wetsuit. Ditto for Lake Couer de Alene (stopped there on my way back from Calgary on August 1), most lakes in Western Canada, and many of our local lakes in Oregon and Idaho. 68-72 range, mostly. Many are fed by glacial melt water so they never really get that warm unless the lake is super shallow. A wetsuit wouldn't be "necessary", but more comfortable for many people. Plus parts of Europe, especially further north or bigger bodies of water. I have frozen my butt off in a sleeveless shortie in the Adriatic off Trieste in August--water temps were around 60, if that. Some Russians swimming sans wetsuits nearby were screaming bloody murder when they jumped in. It was a very hot day pushing 100 degrees; probably the contrast made it seem colder. One doesn't associate Italy with cold water, but there you have it!

2018-08-05 5:55 PM
in reply to: #5247466

I want to thank you all for responding. I'm going to fight my fear and do the race. I did join a clinic to give me a better idea of what to expect. We are supposed to be able to some open water swimming and learn about the transitions. The race recommends a wetsuit so I'm going to rent one. I also have the opportunity to swim in a lake next weekend. In the meantime I'm going continue practicing my running and try to get some bike/run days in. One more thing if the people are even half as encouraging as you all have been. I will be in great company! Good Luck in your tri's and life!!
2018-08-05 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
As everyone has said, tri people tend to be really kind and supportive. Many of us start at the "just want to finish" place. There is a lot of people who plan to do a walk/run for the run. Structure it, saying you will run for three minutes and then walk for one, and stick to it. Point is to walk even if you are feeling OK, the point is not to crash. Little breaks might even make you faster overall.

I'm a weak swimmer so I love my wetsuit. Feels like a security blanket and helps me keep my legs from sinking, very buoyant. I purchased a used one for $100 on wetsuitrental.com. I'm short, and was heavy, and they walked me through what size I needed. They sent out two and I returned the one I didn't want. Think it was free shipping. You might pay as much to rent. Having your own is good to practice in.
Do the race. You are really doing your own race, based on your training, and then in an effort to improve on past performances. One added bonus of being 60 is that as the number of women in your age category goes down, the chances of you getting to the podium goes up!

You've worked for it, I bet you will be OK. If it's not perfect, and I don't know if anyone's race ever is, you will learn a lot. Being old is helpful (I'm hitting 60 soon) because no one expects us to be giving the 20-year-old males a run for their money.

Being a little heavy when training for a sprint, you do not want to add any calories to your diet. Waters fine for a bike or run lasting up to an hour. You should move what you already eat around so that you get some small amount of carbs in before training and a small amount of protein:carbs, 1:4 ratio, after.

Please let us know how it goes.
Mitzi

btw, I've come in last. Sometimes I'll beat out a handful of people. Came in last at an oly, still a little proud I did it.

Edited by MuscleMomma 2018-08-05 7:27 PM
2018-08-06 6:25 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I had high hopes for this season, it being my first in the 60-64 age group. Unfortunately, I had several injuries and work conflicts that made things difficult. I did a 70.3 that I had already paid for a few weeks ago anyway. Between left hip pain, right hamstring pain and some dehydration challenges I ended up having to walk a significant portion of the run. The volunteers were great and other participants (as is typical) were supportive. Walking is not an issue at all. The goal is to finish.
2018-08-19 4:46 PM

I just want to Thank all you great people for your advice and support. I finished my first sprint triathlon and managed to come in 3rd for my age group!! There may have been only 3 in my 60-64 age group. Not really sure but, I will take it!!! Thanks so much I'm glad I didn't drop out!! I have you all to thank for this accomplishment!!??
2018-08-19 5:46 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Way to go!!!  You have YOURSELF to thank.  Folks here just nudged you out the door...  YOU put in the work and did it.

2018-08-19 8:46 PM
in reply to: Experior

CONGRATS, well done
2018-08-19 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats! Not too many people can boast they got on the podium at their first tri! (Who cares how many were in your age group? No one has to know!)
2018-08-20 12:17 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

, Kronobergs lan
That’s great! Congratulations!
2018-08-20 4:40 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
tell us more! How was the swim? the bike, the run? transitions?
are you hooked?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Scared Rss Feed  

of 2