General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacing + Hydration advice needed for sprint event in heatwave Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-10-23 9:06 AM

Subject: Pacing + Hydration advice needed for sprint event in heatwave
Hi

So my first sprint triathlon of the season is this Sunday - weather reports indicate the day of the event is going to be an unprecedented 40 degrees C (104 F).

I'm actually on the fence as to whether to do it or not but if I do any tips on pace adjustment, hydration strategy, fuel, gear would be appreciated.

Thanks

p.s

Curse you weather gods !

2018-10-23 9:45 AM
in reply to: Alpal

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Pacing + Hydration advice needed for sprint event in heatwave

What have been temps during the bulk of your training?  

If you're reasonably acclimated to the heat, consider racing but...

slow down
cover up
hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

If you're not acclimated, you'll have to decide if you can recognize and heed the early warning signs or things get dangerous in a hurry.  

2018-10-23 10:02 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by McFuzz

What have been temps during the bulk of your training?  

If you're reasonably acclimated to the heat, consider racing but...

slow down
cover up
hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

If you're not acclimated, you'll have to decide if you can recognize and heed the early warning signs or things get dangerous in a hurry.  

Really good advice. As far as slowing down, this is especially true on the bike. Since its your first race, take the bike easy. If you overcook the bike, you'll really pay for it on the run. But if you're feeling okay coming off a slower bike, you can always pick up the pace and suffer as much as you want on the run.
2018-10-23 6:35 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Alpal

Hi

So my first sprint triathlon of the season is this Sunday - weather reports indicate the day of the event is going to be an unprecedented 40 degrees C (104 F).

I'm actually on the fence as to whether to do it or not but if I do any tips on pace adjustment, hydration strategy, fuel, gear would be appreciated

Only you can answer the question of whether you should race or not. 

As to pace, this is where having an accurate RPE-O-meter becomes very useful.  Your HR is going to be elevated because of the heat and your pace is going to be slower for the same reason.  RPE "takes into account" environmental conditions.  Listen to your body - it will let you know if you are going to hard.

Take in a good breakfast before the race, maybe a gel half-an-hour before and you should be good unless you are going to be on-course for more than 90-minutes or so.  If you expect to be on-course for more than 90-minutes, take a gel in towards the end of the bike and you'll be fine,  If you're using a sport drink (Gatorade, Infinit, etc.) for hydration you likely wouldn't need the gel on-course.

For hydration, you need to know your sweat rate in as close to race conditions as possible.  Just taking in massive amounts of hydration with no thought to volume can lead to problems - specifically Hypernatremia.

The first step in developing a proper race day fluid replacement plan begins with understanding your body’s true hydration requirements – knowing your sweat rate and understanding what it means.

Hydration is very important to race day performance.  Water makes up over 60% of our body and is involved in everything from energy production in the cells to transporting oxygen through exercising muscle.  Even slight de-hydration can slow you down, cause overheating, and lead to serious gastrointestinal problems. The other side of the coin – over hydrating – can increase your risk of developing hyponatremia, an abnormally low level of blood sodium that can be serious and even fatal.

GETTING STARTED

To find your personal race day hydration sweet spot – not too much and not too little – begin by setting up a program to regularly check your sweat rate for both the run and cycling throughout your training season (obviously since the race is only a few days away you aren't going to do repeated tests, next season, you'll be served well by testing frequently in different conditions).  Yes, your sweat rate will likely be different for running and cycling.  Regularly testing your sweat rate will indicate changes brought by weather/humidity, your acclimation and changing fitness levels.  Record the collected data in a spreadsheet or flowchart.  Looking back at your data prior to a race will allow you to fine tune your hydration plan for expected conditions at the race venue.

SWEAT RATE TEST

Make sure you are properly hydrated before beginning the test.

1. Weigh yourself nude before a ride/run.
  2. Ride/run for one hour keeping track of your fluid intake in ounces.
  3. After the ride/run, towel off, and weigh yourself nude again.
  4. Subtract your post-run/ride weight from your pre-run/ride weight and convert to ounces. To that number, add the number of ounces you drank during the test.  For example, if you lost one pound and drank 16-ounces, your total fluid loss was 32-ounces.
  5. To calculate a hydration plan, divide the fluid loss by the number of times you will drink per hour. For example, if you will drink every 15-minutes, divide 32 by 4.  You will need to drink 8-ounces every 15-minutes.

ELECTROLYTES

Using the results of this test will replace most of the fluid you lose through exercise.  It may not be accurate for everyone so use caution and verify the results in training.  Only replacing fluid with water will NOT replace important electrolytes so you should consider a sports drink such as Infinit for your fluid replacement.

2018-10-23 8:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would go ahead if you are healthy, haven't had serious issues in the past with heat illness, and have been training in reasonably warm weather lately. If one or more of those aren't the case, I might reconsider.

I spent much of the past decade in SE Asia and have raced pretty much all distances, up to and including half iron, in similar conditions, without ending up in the med tent. (Oddly, the closest I came to it was actually a sprint...more later.)

My advice would be:

1. Modify expectations about pace, watts, or whatever metric you use. Heart rate is actually a good one, if you have access to that information from your sports watch. If you have trained by heart rate, you can use those zones for racing, realizing that heat stress is going to make your heart rate high at a slower pace than normal. That's fine; use it as a guide, slow down or walk (on the run) if it gets outside where it should be. If not using heart rate, bike very conservatively and start the run conservatively. Let loose in the last mile or kilometer if still feeling strong.

2. Drink plenty on both bike and run. Heck, put out an extra bottle and drink in transition if you want. You should mainly be taking in sports drink, not water, to get the electrolytes and avoid hyponatremia (too low sodium in blood). Dilute it with water if needed. Often due to the intensity and short duration of a sprint, people tend not to drink much on the bike and run. But in very hot conditions, you can't do that. (This is how I almost ended up in the med tent in a race that took me 1:15, but not in one that took nearly six hours!)

3. Do anything you can to cool yourself off. Wear a light-colored, breathable hat. Pour water over your head. If ice is available, stuff it down your top, shorts, put it under your hat, hold it in your hands. Ditto for sponges with cold water (okay, maybe not down your shorts with those). Watch video of pros going through the run aid stations at Kona if you want good examples of what I call the "ice dance". If needed, walk the aid stations to take full advantage of all the cooling stuff on offer.

4. Worry less about nutrition than hydration. You're not going to starve. or even "bonk" in a sprint--all but the slowest should be done within two hours. But you can become seriously overheated and dehydrated in that time. Take in a gu on the bike and/or run, if you want. But I wouldn't force it down if it seems like a bad idea. I find I can take in less in hotter conditions.

5. Beware of signs of heat illness like dizziness, cramping, nausea, severe headache, both during the race and after the finish. If you get them, stop, or at least walk slowly to the nearest medical or aid station to get help. (I ended up with all of the above in the final few minutes of a sprint and immediately after; thought I needed the med tent but it was full---ended up getting lots of ice and cold towels, and then back into the ocean to cool off!)

5. Cool off thoroughly afterward with cool drinks, cold shower, cold towels, ice, etc. Get indoors to the AC if possible, or at least out of the hot sun. If that's not immediately doable, sometimes I've just gotten back in the water and gone for an easy swim, or just floated around for a while!

Edited by Hot Runner 2018-10-23 8:28 PM
2018-10-24 6:31 AM

Thanks for all the useful and very thorough responses guys.

I've already done a few sprint Ts but nothing in the aforementioned temperatures. Although fitness-wise I'm more than ready for this distance, all of my training has being done in temperatures between 14 - 24 degrees C, the weather on the day of the event is pure freak-weather so am pretty concerned about the dangers of doing it.

Plenty to think about based on everyone's comments so need to weigh up the pros and cons of going ahead with it now.

thanks all

2018-10-25 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think if you race smart, you will be fine. The danger is getting too competitive, caught up in overly high intensity racing, forgetting to hydrate or cool properly, and ignoring early signs of trouble. If you keep intensity moderate and make yourself follow your race plan, you should be fine in a race of that duration if you take full advantage of the hydration and cooling supplies provided.

In the event I mentioned, I was trying to win my AG and place overall, and had really overcooked the bike chasing after a competitor who was simply out of my league on that leg. I'm sure I would have been fine if just trying to finish the race, or even if I'd followed my own race plan better on the bike. Probably the same story for 90% of the people who were lying around in the medical tent. I've done IM Vietnam 70.3 several times. Many people fly in from cooler countries; most do struggle, most don't do their best times and end up walking some of the run, but most do finish and don't end up in the med tent. I think a longer race tends to scare people into paying attention to the threat of heat illness and making smarter decisions during the race.
2018-10-29 8:10 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Here is an article we just published on hydration that might help:
https://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2986
2018-10-29 8:11 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Actually, it looks like you already had your race. How did it go?
2018-10-31 9:20 PM

Originally posted by Alpal

Hi

I'm actually on the fence as to whether to do it or not but if I do any tips on pace adjustment, hydration strategy, fuel, gear would be appreciated.

Thanks

p.s

Curse you weather gods !

Extreme heat is one of the few times I pay far less attention to power and pace and much more attention to heart rate.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pacing + Hydration advice needed for sprint event in heatwave Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tough decision...need advice?

Started by Shox1174
Views: 1093 Posts: 12

2018-08-06 11:05 PM Experior

Solving my immense hydration/electrolyte problem.

Started by Saul Goodman
Views: 873 Posts: 9

2018-06-24 10:39 PM Saul Goodman

XLab Torpedo Hydration

Started by GooseHunter131
Views: 1232 Posts: 7

2018-04-08 7:52 PM shoff14

Ironman puzzle, need advice Pages: 1 2

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 2422 Posts: 33

2017-12-31 9:34 AM sdalcher

Advice for first Ironman needed.