United States
Georgia Multisports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 6s
Overall Rank = 192/500
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 8/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up after a bit of a restless night. Shared a cool suite at a B/B right on the lake with three other triathletes and a friend. One attempted to use my room as the bathroom which made me nervous and probably kept me up all night! :) Pumped up tires for me and Deb and loaded up for the very short drive to the park. Saw my coach, a swim coach I know and my tri pals from Get-Fit and ATS. Set up my area and then went over to help Deb ref. her rack. My one complaint is that GA races don't seem to take the racking thing as serious as FL. There was little alternating and some front end racking that makes things difficult. At this level of race you would expect that everyone knows what to do by now.
Event warmup:

Chipped and de-flip/flopped, I headed to the beach with friends. Saw Dr. Nick working the massage tables and then went for a warm up swim. I read that one should warm up from the swim exit so you can learn about the terrain in and out of the water as you head for T1. This was very beneficial since the lake was down about 10 feet and the bottom was part of the race from way out.
Swim
  • 34m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I beat last year's swim here by six minutes which was good. I still need to get better. But let's look at the high points, I swam straighter and was calmer with no anxiety over the swim. I also used tinted swim goggles that really kept the sun out of the mix. I could see the exit from the last turn. I did get sloppy over the last 300 yds or so. Got banged around a bit since it seemed that everyone started swimming all over the place due to the sun's interference. When I left the water I heard someone yell 'Go Deb, Go Joe' and I looked around for Deb. I didn't see her, she didn't see me but we obviously left together since we had the same swim times!
What would you do differently?:

Just swim to the finish and don't worry about all the bumper cars.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Quick spot for the rack but a long hump out of T1 to the mounting line. I was a little slow with the socks. That plus the short hike out of the beach equals a little bit of a slow T1. I chose to ride with the race number which I normally don't do but I heard someone yelling at someone to put on their number and was a bit overly cautious not wanting a penalty.

I might practice standing to get those socks on.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 50s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

1.5 mph faster than last year. Still need more speed here. I really felt like I was moving it this year. I was using my S1 which I just had rigged for TT and had only used it on one training ride. It was skipping around the cassette while in the small ring and was very frustrating. In the flats and rollers it really performed well. Just out of transition is a steep climb which everyone wants to crank up. I took it really easy going up this hill to get my HR in check from the swim and T1. I heard my coach yelling at me 'EASY!' 'EASY'. (I hear that in my sleep!) It helped since I started catching people from just before Lavonia through town and out to the midway water stop.

Ride harder at the higher HR while in the flats and control the hills even more. I am definitely stronger on the bike this year.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Fastest T2 yet. However, rack was close to entrance and so it all adds up in the end.

Nothing.
Run
  • 49m 41s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Saw JB and Bobby after the first couple of miles. With the loops I was able to keep track of them once in awhile. Saw lots of walking going on in between Miles 4 and 5. I did walk just after the Mile 5 marker for about 30 yds and got my HR in check. Then finished with a quick pace through to the finish. I could've started my last effort a little sooner. I remembered how tough 4 & 5 were and made sure that I was not blowing it out too early. This is an OLY 10K PR for me. One of my goals for the race that day. Very happy to break 50 minutes.

Stretched my self a little bit more earlier starting @ Mile 4. All those bricks/transition runs have paid off.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished very strong and then heard some yells from tri pals already waiting. We grouped up and cheered on our friends. I stretched a little and had some water. Headed back up the hill to cheer on Deb who was questionable for the run. I heard that she had cleared T2 and headed out so I was pysched to see her coming in for the full finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim is still my achilles heel. But working on it!

Event comments:

Kudos to a better shirt this year. Well, actually that it was a shirt and not some house painters jacket. I like this race because it's hard and at the end of the season so it let's you put all your chips in. All the racers were good sportsmen and I saw very little ego getting in the way of a great race. I am not sure if I'll be back next year because of IM WI but I will definitely come and cheer on the crew. While not a PR at OLY distance I was pretty close on a harder, longer course. Yeah!

Last updated: 2006-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:33 | 1640 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/23
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit only
Course: Triangle (?) with a right turn after the first 200 yds. Long backstretch followed by the dreaded home stretch directly into the sun.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:21:50 | 26.1 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/23
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly over the first 5/6 miles and a couple of late hills in the last few miles that can sap your energy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:41 | 06.2 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/23
Course: Hilly! Just like everyone else said!!! This course can kill you if you don't manage it. Sharp incline right out of transition. Same one as the bike start. More hills and coarse roadway through first 2.5 miles. It sucks you in and then Mile 5 hits you. Downhill last mile into finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-18 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

2006-09-18 2:50 PM
in reply to: #544803

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon
Great race JS. You looked strong coming into the finish. I don't think we can say that about any of our 05 races. Nice work on all events. Training on Arden certainly didn't hurt this race.
2006-09-18 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Awesome Job, JS!  You did incredible on what was an extremely difficult course.  I know that hitting your goal of breaking 50 min on the run has to make you very happy.

It was great racing with the whole gang again.  SC will be a blast as well!

Finally, I LOVE your dig at GaMultisports about the one snafu they made last year in giving out the tech jackets instead of a shirt.  Will you EVER get over that one???

S.

2006-09-18 2:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great race JS! Congrats! I was suprised when I saw you and Deb out of the water at the same time. I was trying to take a picture of the two of you, but you were running close to the flags on one side and Deb came up the beach following the flags on the other side, so I couldn't get you both in the same picture. Funny that you didn't even know you were so close to each other.

Edited by 1111 2006-09-18 3:04 PM
2006-09-18 3:08 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Great job Joe! You've improved so much from last year; especially the swim.

Congrats!

2006-09-18 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Very nicely done!!

2006-09-20 9:27 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Nicely done on what I thought was a tough course ... but not as tough as IM Moo!  Good luck with your training with that.
2006-09-20 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Sounds like a challenging course and you had a great race..fun to be with friends..Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed