BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2019-01-22 3:56 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group

Originally posted by Dorm57

I am currently snow skiing in the northern Rockies (Montana) for another 2 weeks.

Ciao ... Dorm

Dorm,

That brings back memories!  In my foolish youth - when one didn't think about money, or even the future - I was on Ski Patrol at Park City, Utah.  I did that for two full seasons.  There are absolutely no words to describe doing avalanche patrol the morning after a big storm.  We'd be up on the mountain at the crack of dawn in chest deep powder that if you didn't see it, you wouldn't believe it was there.  The best part was virgin trails with no marks of any kind.  Even better than that, if that's possible, our employee pass also served as a Statewide ski pass - we could go to any resort in Utah and ski at no charge.  Invariably on our days off, a bunch of us would get together and say, "Where should we go ski today?"  We'd go "slummin' it" at Snowbird, or maybe Alta.  Those were the days!

2019-01-22 4:20 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Micawber 

I'd committed to a plan by this week and that was nagging me yesterday. I was trying to get in the pool last week to get some idea of a baseline but that didn't happen until, finally, today. Performance benchmarks were, for me, horrible . . .

Dwayne,

My suggestion is to start with a VERY easy plan.  Like you said, maybe once per discipline each week.  You've had some starts and stops in the past and as I read your post, I could "hear" the disappointment "in your voice."  Don't set yourself up for frustration and/or failure.  Set yourself up for success and victory.  If you can get a couple consecutive weeks doing a swim, bike, and run each week - that's a win!  If you feel like throwing an extra run in there, or maybe a swim, great!  If not, it isn't on your schedule so you didn't miss anything.  When you start having positive weeks, it becomes easy to build on success.  I wouldn't worry about times or pace or speed at this point - not even a little bit.  Worry about getting some workouts in.  As you begin to accumulate consecutive weeks of consistently completing workouts - time, pace, and speed will take care of itself.

All the other stuff?  You bike and performance goals, etc.  That's just "stuff" at this point.  Worry about getting a couple weeks of consistent workouts done.  Once you have success, you'll see all those other things in a different light.

Good luck and know your buddies in the Gray Guys/Gals group are hear to encourage you on!

2019-01-22 4:23 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hey everyone!

We're on to page 2!

(tenor.gif)

Attachments
----------------
tenor.gif (2975KB - 22 downloads)
2019-01-27 11:15 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN
The fitness center and gym that I use is a short walk from my office but there was stuff going on at work that cut into my usual lunchtime workouts last week. So, for the first time in ages, I got out to the gym on the weekend to use the treadmill and got a run in. I knew getting back into tri training would require some adjustments to routine but, simple as that seems, it’s been a stumbling block in the past. Success for the first week.
2019-01-28 11:16 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

The fitness center and gym that I use is a short walk from my office but there was stuff going on at work that cut into my usual lunchtime workouts last week. So, for the first time in ages, I got out to the gym on the weekend to use the treadmill and got a run in. I knew getting back into tri training would require some adjustments to routine but, simple as that seems, it’s been a stumbling block in the past. Success for the first week.

Well done, Dwayne. The start up and first few weeks are the hardest. Once the routine/habit is in place, everything takes care of itself. Just remember that early on those "stumbling blocks" will be constant, whispering for you to say yes to them and "no" to fitness. As the old saying goes, "the hardest steps in a fitness program are the ones leading out your front door."

Steve
2019-02-02 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

So I'd planned to ski for 3-weeks but didn't make it.  My 88yo dad took a turn for the worse and so I came back home 1week early. My focus right now is taking care of him; getting him situated and comfortable.  This involves dealing with Social Services, Social Security Admin, Medicaid, et al ... absolutely the most frustrating experience ever!!

Scott ... I've been many times to ski around SLC.  I really love the resorts up in Eden, Snow Basin and specially Powder Mountain ... the best place to ski that no one has ever heard of!!  

I look to start back similar to what Dwayne mentioned ... just get back in the gym to start with.  I am further along right now than previous years.  I just need to sort out defined goals and work the steps to reach them.   

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend!

Ciao ... Dorm

(Whitfish Pow 2 - 2019.JPG)

(Whitfish Pow - 2019 (2).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Whitfish Pow 2 - 2019.JPG (101KB - 25 downloads)
Whitfish Pow - 2019 (2).JPG (64KB - 23 downloads)

2019-02-04 12:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry to hear about your dad Dorm.

So what’s up grey guys/gals?

Planning my racing season and I am spoiled for choice. So many races I want to do, I’ll have to make choices.

As last year, I am looking at races within a 200km radius of my home but with the exception of one race this season.
I am making my debut on the international scene. With that I mean I am doing a race abroad.
My best friend lives in France and on 14th July her town organises a Aquathlon (not sure if it’s a French word or if it’s used worldwide but it’s a swim followed by a run). I am making the trip just for that (and also to see my friend and go and see my favourite band in concert that evening).

Anyway, I am not sure if I am going to do the Sprint (1k swim/5k run) or the longer one as a team with my friend (3k swim for me , 10k run for her). Help me decide!

Have a great week!
2019-02-05 4:07 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Hey Dorm, sorry to hear about your father. Hope it works out well. Good luck with your tri training too.

Nathalie: Part of the reason for your trip is to visit the friend so I think it would be great to share the event and do the longer course. Unless your friend wants to do the Sprint course with you, of course. That works too.

Steve, thanks for the encouragement. It does help.
2019-02-06 4:10 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Nathalie: Part of the reason for your trip is to visit the friend so I think it would be great to share the event and do the longer course. Unless your friend wants to do the Sprint course with you, of course. That works too.

Yes, that would be fun to do it together (she doesn't swim so won't do the sprint) but there are 2 things:

1) There is a (small) risk that wetsuits won't be allowed. I doubt I will enjoy 3k swim w/o a wetsuit. Not even sure I can do it.
2) Looking at previous years results, I have a shot at the podium in the sprint.

Plenty of time to think about it....
2019-02-07 3:29 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
A 1k swim and a 5k run would not have you away from the spectators for too long. It isn't like an IM where the athletes can be gone for hours on single loop courses. Maybe your friend would come to cheer for you during the podium attempt and the two of you could share the time that way. You might even get her interested in swimming.
2019-02-08 2:56 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

A 1k swim and a 5k run would not have you away from the spectators for too long. It isn't like an IM where the athletes can be gone for hours on single loop courses. Maybe your friend would come to cheer for you during the podium attempt and the two of you could share the time that way.

True. We'll see what she wants to do.

You might even get her interested in swimming.

I am working on it! Believe me

2019-02-11 12:01 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Meager though it may be, I've met my goal for 3 weeks now. That's only adding up to 1.5 to 2 hours a week of tri training so far. Before long I'm hoping to start ramping up a bit but not pushing it much yet. Cycling was always my strongest sport and it's coming back quickly. Swimming and especially running are progressing slower. Getting some weight off would help the running but that's sort of a "chicken and egg" thing so it'll take time.

I do get some other regular activities in a week as well, like badminton and yoga. Even getting to the office involves about 3/4 of a kilometer, almost half a mile, of walking from the parking lot and 8 to 10 flights of stairs. The usual trip to the gym for a lunchtime workout is almost as much walking and more stairs. The office however is a desk job, mostly sitting.

How is training going for the rest of you?
2019-02-11 3:42 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Well done on meeting your goal! You are right to take your time, don’t want to risk getting injured.

Talking of getting injured, I’ve got this nagging pain in my left foot which doesn’t seem to go away. I am being followed by a physiotherapist and I am not running at the moment. So I swim and bike more. Especially enjoying the swimming. I am taking a class and can see I am progressing. Biking is not so much fun, I never really enjoyed biking but in the winter when it’s at the gym on the stationary (Haven’t got round to getting a trainer yet).......
Have a great week!

2019-02-11 7:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Let the Training Begin ....

Nasty weather for first part of the week here, such that it's training in the gym for me.  I'm trying to get back in gear and just need to start.  Tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'll, so I'll go prepared to run, bike or swim.  My first race is at the last of March, so there's time for me to get back up to speed. 

The race (Century Ride) which really needed longer, advance training is not going to happen, so I have to see what else is available.

Have a good week ... it's time to sufferrrrrr!!

Ciao ... Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2019-02-11 7:44 PM
2019-02-12 10:15 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Let the Training Begin ....
Yeah, training is all in the gym for me too. The daytime high temperature here has been solidly in the -20s C for the last couple weeks and occasionally below -30C. When they factor in wind chill effects, there's serious frostbite danger. Frequent snow too but at least that's been relatively light. When I was IM training a decade ago I've gone out running in this but you have to be in good shape to run hard enough to stay warm and I'm not there now.

Nathalie: Good luck with the physio on your foot. I've struggled with plantar fasciitis in the past and, though it's Ok now, I know foot injuries can be very tough to get past.
2019-02-12 4:59 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dorm57

My 88yo dad took a turn for the worse and so I came back home 1week early. My focus right now is taking care of him; getting him situated and comfortable.  This involves dealing with Social Services, Social Security Admin, Medicaid, et al ... absolutely the most frustrating experience ever!!

Dorm,

Sorry to hear about your Dad.  I went through all of that with my parents.  It's frustrating and emotionally draining.  Hoping the best for you and all your family.

2019-02-12 5:02 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

I am making the trip just for that (and also to see my friend and go and see my favourite band in concert that evening). Anyway, I am not sure if I am going to do the Sprint (1k swim/5k run) or the longer one as a team with my friend (3k swim for me , 10k run for her). Help me decide! Have a great week!

OK, I'm officially jealous!  First it was the Ryder Cup, now traveling for a race AND a concert by your favorite band.

If it were me, I'd be doing the individual race.  I was never very good at team sports but always did fairly well at individual sports.

2019-02-12 5:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Micawber Meager though it may be, I've met my goal for 3 weeks now. That's only adding up to 1.5 to 2 hours a week of tri training so far. Before long I'm hoping to start ramping up a bit but not pushing it much yet. Cycling was always my strongest sport and it's coming back quickly. Swimming and especially running are progressing slower. Getting some weight off would help the running but that's sort of a "chicken and egg" thing so it'll take time. I do get some other regular activities in a week as well, like badminton and yoga. Even getting to the office involves about 3/4 of a kilometer, almost half a mile, of walking from the parking lot and 8 to 10 flights of stairs. The usual trip to the gym for a lunchtime workout is almost as much walking and more stairs. The office however is a desk job, mostly sitting. How is training going for the rest of you?

Woo Hoo!  Meeting training goals is ALWAYS a good thing!  Don't cloud the success with numbers!  You achieved what you set out to do.

One of my athletes is flying in next week for a few days so we can work on her swimming.  She's going to stay with my wife and I so looking forward to that.  I haven't been in a pool since last summer when I had all my medical nonsense going on.  Her coming actually has me looking forward to getting in the pool.  I'm even thinking I might venture up to the pool this week just to make sure I don't completely embarrass myself!

2019-02-12 5:56 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Micawber Yeah, training is all in the gym for me too. The daytime high temperature here has been solidly in the -20s C for the last couple weeks and occasionally below -30C. When they factor in wind chill effects, there's serious frostbite danger. Frequent snow too but at least that's been relatively light. 

We moved to Indiana from sunny Southern California going on 18-months ago.  When we were in CA I'd have some of my athlete's lamenting the winter and not seeing the sun for months on end.  I never quite understood since the sun almost always shines in So Cal.  I understand now!  A couple weeks ago we were -30F for a couple days, we've had enough snow that I'm tired of the white stuff and I haven't seen the sun in all its grandeur in months.  I'm ready for Spring!

2019-02-13 12:22 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by k9car363

I am making the trip just for that (and also to see my friend and go and see my favourite band in concert that evening). Anyway, I am not sure if I am going to do the Sprint (1k swim/5k run) or the longer one as a team with my friend (3k swim for me , 10k run for her). Help me decide! Have a great week!

OK, I'm officially jealous!  First it was the Ryder Cup, now traveling for a race AND a concert by your favorite band.

If it were me, I'd be doing the individual race.  I was never very good at team sports but always did fairly well at individual sports.

Yes, it’s a great coincidence that they are playing there on the same day! I Know I’d do better in the sprint by myself but doing this as a team with my friend would be cool, even finishing last. And 3k swim would be something new for me.

So I still don’t know, but there is plenty of time to think about it.

Thanks Dwayne, I do suspect the start of plantar facist (as I call it And I really hope we caught it on time and will be able to make it go away soon
2019-02-13 11:57 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
... I do suspect the start of plantar facist (as I call it And I really hope we caught it on time and will be able to make it go away soon

First: Listen to your physiotherapist!

In case it helps though, I'll offer a few of my own thoughts on pf. Initially reduce the inflammation. There are lots of ways to work on that. A bit of inflammation is part of your body's natural healing process but too much causes more damage. Once it's not hurting, you have to remember that the fascia has been weakened and is likely still too tight for the activity you want to pursue so it's very easy to re-injure it.

The tricky thing about inflammation is that you don't feel it right away. It can take a day or 2 to set in and start hurting. A certain amount of stress is necessary to stretch and/or strengthen the fascia but too much causes injury that may not be realized until days later. The fascia has to be re-built very cautiously. Add a little more stress to the work load but don't count it as successful until several days have passed without too much pain. If it does hurt, reduce the stress as much as is needed and build it up again even slower.

Mine was bad enough that I was re-injuring it just getting out of bed in the mornings. I purchased a device called a night splint, sort of a light boot that prevented my foot from laying down and healing the fascia shorter over night. I also put some heel lift pads in the house slippers I'd wear in the morning. Once the foot was warmed up a bit and lightly stretched, I could get through the rest of the day in normal foot wear. With many setbacks, I built it up enough to stop using the night splint and eventually to run again but even the running was very easy and cautious at first.

It sounds like your pf has not gotten too bad yet so hopefully you can recover quickly.

2019-02-13 3:13 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks Dwayne, I’ll keep this in mind
2019-02-27 4:09 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Originally posted by k9car363

... I'm ready for Spring!

Yes! I'm really hoping for Spring soon too!
How's everyone's training going? Getting back into it Ok Dorm? Making progress with your foot Nathalie?

I'm still plugging away here with shorter workouts but trying to increase the frequency. I managed 3 runs, 2 swims, and a biking workout last week and will try to get that again this week. Biking and now swimming seem to be coming back all right; my running will need more focus. If I can make it work, I'd like to gradually get up to a short easy run 6 days per week and then try to evolve that into the Barry P 1-2-3 plan. Does that sound reasonable?
2019-03-02 3:14 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Can’t advise you on your plan for running but nice to hear you are plugging away!

Foot is OK. I have new soles to support my very arched feet and a strength program for the whole leg, starting from the hip. Still off running at the moment but swimming and/or biking 4 to 5 times a week.

Looking at races I want to do this year and I have it all worked out except for one last choice to make.

A : a sprint with a shortened swim (400m) or a B: real sprint the week before

I have made a list of pros and cons and I think I know which one I will do but I’d like to hear if you think the same. i will also post this on the main forum to get more responses.

A: pros
42 miles closer.
The date is more convenient
A Cons:
shortened swim
early start, would have to go there the day before and stay in a hotel

B pros
Real sprint with a 750m swim
Competiting in my age group
Later start, would not need to stay over
B Cons
It’s a big holiday in Sweden that weekend. We have guests staying until the Sunday (race is on Sunday though)
42 miles further away
It’s a really tough one, I’ll probably be DFL
Would have to leave early to drive there

So, watcha all think?

2019-03-03 6:21 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Looking at races I want to do this year and I have it all worked out except for one last choice to make.

A : a sprint with a shortened swim (400m) or a B: real sprint the week before

I have made a list of pros and cons and I think I know which one I will do but I’d like to hear if you think the same. i will also post this on the main forum to get more responses.

A: pros
42 miles closer.
The date is more convenient

A Cons:
shortened swim
early start, would have to go there the day before and stay in a hotel

B pros
Real sprint with a 750m swim
Competiting in my age group
Later start, would not need to stay over

B Cons
It’s a big holiday in Sweden that weekend.
We have guests staying until the Sunday (race is on Sunday though) 42 miles further away

It’s a really tough one, I’ll probably be DFL Would have to leave early to drive there

So, watcha all think?

I'm a fan of longer races so I'd go for the full Sprint.  As to the guests, ask them to come watch.  That way you aren't being rude and excluding them but letting them know you're racing.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 924 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa