Georgia Multisports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m
Overall Rank = 332/521
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

I set my alarm at 4:15 to be on the road by 4:45 for a drive up to Lavonia. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the drive only took a little over an hour. It was nice to be able to get a short nap in since I didn't have to do the driving. What are friends for?
For breakfast, I had a Clif bar and some pretzels w/ peanut butter. I also drank 1/2 bottle of Gu.

Once at race site, I registered, got body marked and set up my transition area. Saw some NAMSC ppl and past TNT teammates. It was nice to catch up with them.
Event warmup:

I took a quick dip in the water before the race began. I'm not sure if that was a good idea b/c once out of the water, I was pretty cold waiting around for the race to begin. The water temp was 81 and warm.
Swim
  • 37m 12s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

I initially thought that my swim time was faster than the actual net time. Maybe I felt that way since I didn't really have an issue in the water and I was able to sight pretty decently. It helped that I found a person to draft off of for at least 400-500 meters. He probably didn't like it but it really helped me to be on course.

Nutrition: Gu gel right before start
What would you do differently?:

Maybe I should have found a faster swimmer to draft off of. That would've pushed me more on the swim. I know I need to work a lot more on my swim strokes and style. For the off season, I will have to find a coach who can analyze my technique.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Once out of the water, I ran to the transition area, hoping to shave off some seconds. I didn't put on my socks for the bike segment.

Nutrition: some sports beans

I need to learn the trick of being a minimalist. Maybe I just have too many things layed out.
Bike
  • 1h 32m 26s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 16.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed most of the bike ride. Although it was hilly, I didn't feel extremely worn out or bad. I kept myself on a comfortable pace as not to push too hard and have nothing left for the run. I don't think I passed a lot of people this time, but it was interesting to note that some people are climbers and some people are just not. I am more of a flat rider, for sure. But with all the training on B'ly Lake, the hills didn't seem too bad.

More hill repeats in my training. I'd like to be able to climb comfortably with speed over 12 mph consistently.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Don't kow what happened here, but all of a sudden, I got really confused with which way to exit out of the transition for the run. I must have looked clueless going back and forth in the transition area. I finally had to ask a guy which way to exit.

For this tri, I neglected to survey the transition area and keep a mental note of where I needed to go. I think I was more preoccupied catching up with people.
Run
  • 58m 7s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

According to most people, this run course was a lot more challenging than Chattanooga tri I did in July. That is true looking at the course layout since most of it was hilly. But to me, this was better than Chattanooga b/c there were no extreme slopes and huge steps to climb up. Everything was pretty gradual. In addition, the temperature and humidity level was waaay better than it was back in July. I just kept pushing myself at a semi-comfortable pace all the way 'till the end. I didn't try to hit a PR or give my all. I had a strong finish with some energy left over.

To have better time, I know I could've pushed harder. Just didn't want to kill myself on this run. Take more risks next time?
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water, food and fun at the TNT tent. It was fun watching everyone coming in and cheering for them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough planned training.

Event comments:

I was not as careful with my nutrition on this tri and consequently, I paid for my lack of planning. When I got home, I started getting a headache and I knew that it was due to dehydration and I couldn't do anything the rest of the day. I didn't drink enough today. I didn't even finish the 2 bottles of Gu on the bike for some reason. Since I'm a heavy sweater, I need to definitely take this seriously.

This first season was all about learning more about the sport and myself in it. I think I have a lot better idea of what to expect and what areas I need to work on for the next season. I am happy with the overall result of the four triathlons I raced this year. Although Tugaloo turned out to be the slowest time, I am okay with that b/c it was also the most challenging course. I had fun doing it.

I am looking forward to next year and the improvements I expect to see. Next year will be all about fine-tuning my training and getting serious with the serious stuff like heart rate training, swim techniques, bike training, track workouts, nutrition and much more! If I am planning to be more serious, I know I need to find a new bike and also hire a coach to train me. Lots of planning ahead...

Last updated: 2006-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:12 | 1500 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/521
Performance: Average
Suit: nope
Course: The course was marked with orange and yellow buoys which was in a shape of a rectangle. It felt more like a triangle swimming around it. The last stretch to the shore was harder to sight since the sun's glare was definitely blinding me. We had a staggered swim start with three ppl going at a time.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:32:26 | 26.1 miles | 16.94 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: This course was definitely hilly as expected. There were many gradual hills but I don't remember having to ride up an extremely steep hill. It kind of reminded me of Cartersville since it was mostly farmland and we rode on country roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:07 | 06.2 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-09-18 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

2006-09-19 8:29 AM
in reply to: #545248

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

Nice job - it might not your best performance, but I still think it was a good race. I heard it was a pretty tough course with LOTS of hills - why do you think I went to Kiawah! I know you haven't had as much time to train recently, so it's good that you could rely on your base to help you finish strong. If you're looking for a coach, I can definately recommend a great one!

2006-09-19 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Nothing better than a race you can take a lot of lessons learned from. Those things will make you better next year. I agree with your sentiments regarding the run course compared to Chattanooga. While I thoroughly enjoyed Chattanooga, the heat and various changes to terrain, kind of disrupted the flow of the run. The Tugaloo course had a great flow to it and none of that oppressive heat.

You had a really good race. Target this one for next year to track your improvements. It's a great end of season benchmark.

2006-09-19 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
I think you did great considering that you weren't even sure if you were ready a week ago. Congrats!
2006-09-19 9:06 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Yeah Kyung!  It was great to see you and Trish at the race ...

Nicely done - not only with a solid performance at the last Oly of the season, but in how you have grown with the sport both in terms of experience and perspective.

Congratulations on finishing the swim strong and don't worry about the T2 snafu -- it happens to all (e.g. me) of us!

2006-09-19 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great job Kyung! You had a great race even though I know you haven't had as much time to train since school started. I'd love to average almost 17mph for 26 miles! That's awesome! It seems doing this last race of the year definitely gave you some more insight on what you need to do in the off season to have a great season next year! Congratulations on a great race!

2006-09-19 8:33 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-09-20 10:08 AM

Veteran
Reading your race report reminds me of my thoughts after my first Tugaloo event last year. It seemed that after that first season of self training and trial and error that 'better results' were expected.

Don't worry about it! You had a great time. Wait until next year and watch yourself improve. If you do half the things you are setting out to do regarding improvement then you will be amazed at the results.

Sounds like you are here to stay. Congrats.

2006-09-20 10:18 AM

Champion
Nashville, TN
Congrats on a great race...and a fantastic season.  It must be really rewarding to see how far you have come this season. Enjoy the off season and the more leisurely side of training...you have deserved it!
2006-09-20 1:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
You did a great race! What a nice way to finish the season!
2006-09-20 2:19 PM

Master
Athens, Ga.
Awesome race, Kyung. You have a lot to be proud of this season.

2006-09-25 9:08 AM

Regular
Newton, MA
Great job Kyung!  Glad I had a chance to see you there.  Have fun during the off season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed