MultiRace
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 30s
Overall Rank = 162/189
Age Group = Athena >39
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

The race didn't start until 11am, but check in started at 8am. Knowing parking was going to be tricky, we piled into the car and made our way to the Zoo. I had pop tarts and coffee a few hours before, and had some Skratch drink and chews hanging around in case I got snacky waiting for the start.
Checked in, made the LONG walk from Team Z HQ to transition and start, scoped things out, but was told transition didn't open until 9am. Whoops. Back to HQ we went. Sunscreen, hydrating, waiting, Instagramming....and then it was time to head back over and set things up. Water temp was something like 83.5 degrees, so no wetsuit. They had buckets with our numbers and names on them for our things, which was cool.
Event warmup:

After setting up transition I headed down to the water for warmup. The bottom of the lake was mucky and disgusting, with green mud clinging to my feet and sucking me down. Once I started swimming out I started to get a tingly feeling on the back of my neck, which has never happened in open water before. Anxiety! Perhaps spurred by the signs (covered with garbage bags) warning to not swim in the lake b/c gators were present?
Then back to the sand and bouncing around to keep warm. It was windy, and felt colder in the air than in the water.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 kms
  •  min/km
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 28m 46s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started way at the back of my wave, mostly because it was coed and included men under 40, and I didn't want to get caught in an aggro swim. I immediately started picking off the slower swimmers, and then found myself in an awkward "alone" place ahead of the slow swimmers but unable to catch the fasties. At points visibility to the bottom was pretty good, which I actually found terrifying because it means that I was close enough for a gator to come up and chomp me. My lizard brain was in full force, convincing me that I was going to be eaten. At points I would breathe and realize that I was super close to the reedy swampy shore.
Basically this entire swim was a war with my mind convincing myself to slow down and swim relaxed.
Other points: I think either the course was a bit long or I swam off by a few hundred. I caught my first person from the wave ahead at the halfway point, which is also when the first person caught me from the wave behind. The bulk of the wave behind caught up with me right as we were coming into the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Do some reading on alligators so I would understand how they behave, and therefore not be scared swimming in a lake with several hundred other people.
Transition 2
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

I jogged up the beach and up the hill toward transition. I took a bit of extra time cleaning mud off my feet, fussing with socks, and getting my shoes situated. Then on with the race belt and visor, and trotted on toward Run Out.

Ideally I'd like to be able to run without socks, like I used to, but this pair of shoes wasn't allowing for it. I should also just grab the rest of my stuff and deal with it on the run. Lots of other girls had sub two minute transitions.
Run
  • 37m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran a mile, walked two minutes, ran a mile, walked two minutes, ran it the rest of the way in. I kicked it up for the last quarter mile or so, and finally caught up with Jen at the 3 mile marker. We booked it to the finish together, huffing and puffing our way down the finish chute. Made for a great memory, and some hilariously terrible finish line pics.

Not walk. I don't know that I actually needed the break, it was more mental than physical.
Post race
Warm down:

I wheezed my way through the finish chute, collected my medal, and found my family. I thought at the start that there were four girls in the group, so I went over to the results truck to find out if I'd come in 4th....again.
And there I was....3rd. I waited for another few finishers, and saw someone's name get filled in under mine. And then another. There were actually 5 girls in my group, and I'd placed 3rd! I was going to stand on a podium! It didn't feel real. I told my family, who I'm sure had been hoping to head out, that I was going to stay. Of course they were elated. I got teary eyed when I stood on the podium, and full on cried when I got off the box. Me?
Athena athletes get sorted back in with the Age Groupers for Worlds qualification, and then there's an age up rule...meaning as a 39 year old, I had to compare myself against the 40-43 year olds. The 44 year olds were aging up as well. I also had to check the ages of the Athenas. Top 18 go to Worlds. I am 23, I think. Will 5 people turn down their spots so I get a roll down? Who knows. Could be.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor training the last two months due to a sprained ankle and knee.

Event comments:

MultiRace puts on a great event, and the fact that this was Nationals made it feel even more special. Lots of banners and announcements, excellent competition, good swag, and a good expo.

Last updated: 2019-03-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/189
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:28:46 | 1000 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 5/189
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  02:50
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting into shoes:
Running
00:37:54 | 03.1 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 5/189
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-11-20 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: Miami Man Aquathlon

2019-11-21 11:04 AM
in reply to: #5264238

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Miami Man Aquathlon

Alligators!!  Yikes!  I'd be swimming faster, too, even if they aren't likely to pick off one person out of hundreds of flailing bodies.

And yes, YOU on the PODIUM!!        Because you trained hard and are relentless!

Big congratulations!

2019-11-21 11:09 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I forgot to ask - does the run go through the zoo?  Also, how was the race swag?  For years they sent me emails about the race and I always thought it sounded fun/interesting.

2019-11-21 2:41 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations! I'm sure that you'll get the roll down for worlds. Woo hoo!

2019-11-21 5:36 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by melbo55

I forgot to ask - does the run go through the zoo?  Also, how was the race swag?  For years they sent me emails about the race and I always thought it sounded fun/interesting.

The Aquathlon run goes around the lake, but the International and Half runs do go by the animals at the zoo. Swag for the Aqyathlon was a super cute string bag shaped like an animal face, which contained a Specialized water bottle, headsweats shirt, headsweats visor, some dehydrated fruit, electrolyte tablets, and some stickers and coupons. Swag for the Aqua Bike was the same except no visor since headsweats was the sponsor for the Aquathlon. Important to note that the shirts were different for the two days. The medals were nice. Big, with cute animals.
2019-11-22 12:53 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Atlantia

Originally posted by melbo55

The Aquathlon run goes around the lake, but the International and Half runs do go by the animals at the zoo. Swag for the Aqyathlon was a super cute string bag shaped like an animal face, which contained a Specialized water bottle, headsweats shirt, headsweats visor, some dehydrated fruit, electrolyte tablets, and some stickers and coupons. Swag for the Aqua Bike was the same except no visor since headsweats was the sponsor for the Aquathlon. Important to note that the shirts were different for the two days. The medals were nice. Big, with cute animals.

sounds like a great race with great swag!

And a podium to boot! WOOT WOOT!!

No alligators, please.

2019-11-22 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yay to the podium! Congrats!! Stay away from the weeds in any Florida lake! Actually, with the craziness of the race, any alligator would be nowhere near you. probably

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami Man Aquathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USATF So Cal XC Regionals - Men's Masters Final

Started by tcovert
Views: 621 Posts: 1

2019-11-19 9:27 AM tcovert

Atomic Man

Started by crusty
Views: 692 Posts: 1

2019-10-14 4:14 PM crusty