BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-02-16 11:27 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
I think it’s very individual what you can eat and what you should avoid. You’ll just have to find out for yourself, and never eat something you have not tested the day before a race!

So, how’s everybody’s week been?

Had 3 days off due to travelling for work and no time to train so only hit 4 workouts this week. No big deal, back on track now, Masters swim this morning and run yesterday. Clean eating didn’t go too well but hey...

New week tomorrow, same goals as usual, 6 workout and clean eating

2020-02-16 3:48 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Managed two yoga's, two arm workouts. Leg is still sore and physio thinks i might also have shin splints....fun! Going to see if I am allowed to swim this week, and will also stick to yoga and arms whilst I am restricted elsewhere. 

How everybody else getting on?

2020-02-17 1:20 AM
in reply to: #5267265

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I went to the beach this morning and rented a cruiser bike and rode the beachside bike path for 80’. Outside being annoyed by people walking and standing on the bike path (wtf?!?), it was great! That bike weighed about 40 pounds though—can I count that as weight training?!?
2020-02-17 4:51 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove I went to the beach this morning and rented a cruiser bike and rode the beachside bike path for 80’. Outside being annoyed by people walking and standing on the bike path (wtf?!?), it was great! That bike weighed about 40 pounds though—can I count that as weight training?!?

Were there dogs off leads too? It's not proper until pooch tries to chase you or get under your wheel but the owner thinks nothing is wrong!

2020-02-17 7:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Vuk, yes running nutrition is always a challenge.  I can't run for a few hours after eating, and I have to be careful with liquid intake as well.  I fast in the morning if I'm going to run other than maybe a sip of Gatorade or something.

Hopefully you can figure it out.

2020-02-17 7:44 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Back from Phoenix, started the ToS with about two hours of sweet spot and Threshold work on a video called "It Seemed Like A Good Idea at the Time".  Indeed.  Now I'm sick and have bailed on the stage race for the time being. I feel like I fought the good fight staying healthy this winter but being on a plan for five hours with EVERYONE coughing, sneezing, and blowing their noses finally broke me down.

Oh well, at least there was a charity donation involved.

2020-02-17 8:28 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Sappho, you are falling apart! Way to get that yoga in though!

Mike, hope you feel better! A lot of my employees are or have been sick. I'm also hoping to avoid it!

I did not have a productive week last week but am refocused now. Swam a bit yesterday (1800 yds). This morning I did a HIIT cycling class followed by a yoga session (yay!).

Goals for this week:
Yoga 3x
Do some kind of activity every day
Get at least one two-a-day in

The last one is because I have a race at the end of April that is like a ragnar, so need to get used to doing a few workouts a day.

2020-02-17 5:00 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Master
brummie land

Managed ten minutes of yoga tonight too. 

2020-02-18 9:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sappho96

Managed ten minutes of yoga tonight too. 

Great work!

I got another yoga session in this morning. Was supposed to swim, but this pain is really getting to me. Think I need to give my shoulder a break and really focus on what will make it feel better. Had acupuncture last night and he did some cupping. I am also having an ergonomic survey done on my work space on Friday, and I have a new mattress being delivered tomorrow. Lots of changes, so hopefully something/everything helps it. If not, I might need to make an appointment with my ortho :-/

2020-02-18 11:49 AM
in reply to: #5267291

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
40’ run today in LA. Weather is gorgeous and the run felt really good. The conference starts this evening, so hopefully I’ll be able to maintain daily workouts. Since I’m not drinking lately, it should be easier to get up in the morning. ??
2020-02-18 5:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

I think I've got some good news about my ankle (he said cautiously) The physio is very pleased with how my recovery is going, I've been dropped to 1 session a week, and likely to be discharged completely after my next session if it goes how anticipated. Apparently my injured ankle already has better movement and flexibility than my uninjured one. (which probably says more about my all around lack of flexibility but that's another story)

So I am cautiously trying to get back into things. 2 short easy runs, and an easy 30 minute spin so far this week. And of course lots of physio instructed exercises and stretching on my ankle (well both ankles, I figure if the other one is less flexible doing the program for both can't hurt) The aim for the rest of the week is a slightly longer run tomorrow, an easy 5km on the weekend, and another couple of spins.

Mrs Bullfrog and I have also had a few conversations about how things are going to work training for an Ironman in 2021, a year more training than originally signed off on (only 55 training weeks to go, but whos counting). Long story short, I'm trying to move as many of my workouts as I can to the early mornings. So my plan for the next few weeks is getting up at 6am to do something, even if it's just 10 min on the spin bike. 3-4 weeks of getting up early every day should be habit forming enough to make it manageable.

So goals for the week

1. do all my prescribed physio therapy work.
2. 7 workouts, before 7am.

2020-02-18 5:38 PM
in reply to: vuk87

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Vuk, welcome to the group.

Regarding stomach issues, fortunately I have a fairly cast iron stomach so rarely have issues, so I don't have a lot of personal experience to draw on. But as the others have said, its all very personal, so all I can suggest is trial and error. During your training you have to learn what your body likes, so you know what to do for race day.

For what it's worth tho, I'm not a big believer in or user of supplements. For a morning workout, less than an hour, all I would have is water, possibly a banana if I was really hungry.
2020-02-19 12:50 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Andrew, Good news on the ankle it seems! Keep doing those physio exercices! I do something for my ankles/feet/knees most days. Not much (except once a week) but small exercices to help keep flexibility and strength: while watching TV for example, while getting coffe at work.... I have realised I’ll have to do that for life and I’m OK with that)

Now, you see, that’s why I’ll never do an Ironman. There is not enough time to train for it without getting up at stupid O’Clock.

• 2020-02-19 12:07 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Ran 4.5 miles when I got home from work last night. Felt really great on the run even though I could tell I was starting to get sick. My throat feels a little worse today, but luckily I was already working from home. Hopefully it goes away by tomorrow!
    2020-02-19 2:25 PM

User image

@Andrew- great news about the ankle!

@Vuk- I have to avoid eating 2 to 3 hours before running or I feel sick (I typically run over lunch). The first two tri's I did last year, I felt super nauseous the entire run, which hindered my performance. I tried to eat a protein bar prior to the start of those races, which I thought afterwards may have been the cause. I had to "practice" eating and drinking what I was planning to consume on race day during the workouts between my second and third tri's, fully eliminating the protein bar, and I felt great during the next race.

Speaking of stomach issues, I am trying to get back in the swing of things this week after having a stomach bug and traveling all last week and Monday/Tuesday of this week....work is really throwing off my training schedule I was able to get in a short swim last Friday (first swim of the year!), a run on Saturday and my field hockey game on Sunday.

Today I did a track workout to help get some speed back in my legs, which I felt was successful. The workout took me back to our high school track and field days @Nicole!

The rest of the week I am planning to do 1 spin class, 2 runs and possibly another short swim.

2020-02-20 9:46 AM
    in reply to: FishinPA

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Hello, all.  Still fighting off this cold so nothing this week for me.  I'd rather take the week off and get better at this point in my training plan than force through it. 

We're headed down to southern MD for the state championships swim meet this weekend - I'll share some of the highlights so we all feel bad about how slow we swim. 

2020-02-21 7:54 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Ahh Ally, I miss those days! What did you do? 400s, right?

Mike, I agree. I am also fighting off the sickness I was hoping to avoid, and have been choosing sleep over waking up early to workout. Hoping my throat feels a bit better tomorrow so I can take advantage of having a pretty chill weekend.
    Good luck to your daughter at States! Definitely let us know how it goes!

2020-02-21 8:15 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Master
    brummie land

Quick post to commit to an arm workout tonight so I HAVE to do it!

And good luck to the daughter!

Edited by sappho96 2020-02-21 8:15 AM
    2020-02-21 1:27 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Let us know once it's done, please!
    2020-02-21 2:43 PM

User image

Master
    brummie land

Originally posted by nicole14e

Let us know once it's done, please!

I forgot! I have now consumed curry and a very delicious beer! 

But I have put my dumbbells out ready for the morning!

2020-02-22 10:56 AM
    in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    After a week in California, I’m ready to head home. I will miss the weather though!! Gorgeous here—and going back to 26F weather does not sound fun. I did pretty well this week. I managed four runs of varying length, no booze, and kept pretty grain free, which means I slept well all week. For once, I’m going home from this conference not exhausted.

2020-02-22 11:26 AM

User image

Master
    brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove After a week in California, I’m ready to head home. I will miss the weather though!! Gorgeous here—and going back to 26F weather does not sound fun. I did pretty well this week. I managed four runs of varying length, no booze, and kept pretty grain free, which means I slept well all week. For once, I’m going home from this conference not exhausted.

Nice one! We have friends in the valley and it is beautiful there. I finally did my arm workout. Will post tomorrow workout plans for next week so I actually get some exercise done!

Hope everyone else is having a good week?

2020-02-23 12:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Up at 7am 2 WEEKS IN A ROW for my Masters swim.
    Had a good week for workouts but not for clean eating. Too much alcohol and alcohol induced binging... oh well...

Talking of beer, watched my local hockey team last night (who are not doing too well this year but managed a 2-1 win) and had a couple of these. Nice!

Attachments
    ----------------
    224828F4-EF46-4BA7-8135-2C928FEDBB7F.jpeg (22KB - 8 downloads)
    2020-02-23 6:43 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hello, all.  Still fighting off this cold so nothing this week for me.  I'd rather take the week off and get better at this point in my training plan than force through it. 

We're headed down to southern MD for the state championships swim meet this weekend - I'll share some of the highlights so we all feel bad about how slow we swim. 

Back from States, DD did just OK as was the case for the whole team (seven girls).  Several of them were trying to qualify for Sectionals and none of them dropped times.  My daughter did get a PR in the event she hates, the 200 fly LOL.  Their final relay team threw down a really angry 200 free relay of 1:43.01 where all four swimmers swam between 25.5 and 25.9, which did qualify for Sectionals but one of them has to make it on their own for the team to go.  We have one girl left today swimming the 100 free and needs to drop almost a second, which is damn hard.

A couple of these kids at the meet are national-level swimmers and watching them is just nuts.

I got in a short workout on the elliptical on Friday and walked a bunch around the school campus (weather was beautiful - sunny and mid-50s) yesterday.  Back at it next week, I think I've managed to beat this cold down.  This was supposed to be a recovery week so I'll just add a little volume and go into the next four-week block.

2020-02-23 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Up at 7am 2 WEEKS IN A ROW for my Masters swim. Had a good week for workouts but not for clean eating. Too much alcohol and alcohol induced binging... oh well... Talking of beer, watched my local hockey team last night (who are not doing too well this year but managed a 2-1 win) and had a couple of these. Nice!

Awesome!!  Nothing feels worse than the waking up, driving to Masters, and the first 400 yards of an early morning swim, but NOTHING feels better once you're done.  Love early morning swims.

@Nicole - might be joining you guys at Canton in the Spring as my daughter's team won't be doing their 5:30 AM thing in Towson anymore and she might want to continue practicing.  I'll need my own lane. 

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
    Views: 5966 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123