BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-07-16 10:12 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by bulfrog

Nicole Epic is right, that looks amazing. Freezing, but amazing. What an awesome experience. You weren't tempted for the most badass open water swim experience?

Ha! Not even a little bit, lol

2021-07-16 10:21 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Mike and Nicole, please tell me humidity drops just a little by mid September. Haha (nervous chuckle).

Do you want us to tell you the truth or that the humidity drops? j/k, it should be a bit better by September. I think it's generally a little cooler down there, probably high 70s to 80s. Humidity shouldn't be so bad. It's mostly July and August (and this year also June apparently, yay climate change :-/ ) that are really humid here.
2021-07-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by aviatrix802 Mike and Nicole, please tell me humidity drops just a little by mid September. Haha (nervous chuckle).
Do you want us to tell you the truth or that the humidity drops? j/k, it should be a bit better by September. I think it's generally a little cooler down there, probably high 70s to 80s. Humidity shouldn't be so bad. It's mostly July and August (and this year also June apparently, yay climate change :-/ ) that are really humid here.

September is typically the driest month here in Maryland, unless we get some tropical weather like remnants of a hurricane or something (which impacted IMMD a few years ago).  If you get normal weather you're looking at mid 70s with a breeze (always windy there).  Should be wetsuit legal, too.  The run can be a little hot because it's so open, but you shouldn't get horrible humidity.

2021-07-16 3:59 PM
in reply to: #5277123

User image

, Vermont
Thank you for the info! I remember seeing the hurricane effects a few years ago and people running through mid-shin deep water on part of the run course. Ugh talk about blisters. Fingers are crossed.
Got in an hour run today. It’s super hilly at camp so I ran the horse track again when I climbed up away from the lake. No shade and hot but I got it done. Our vet called while I was running - I took the excuse to answer and chat during my hour.
2021-07-18 10:39 PM
in reply to: #5277135

User image

, Vermont
Saturday was supposed to be a long ride (4hours). A lot happened with weather and me trying to get to work in Louisville and long story short I ended up with just over 2 hours (40 miles) on the Kick’r with Zwift. I got up this morning at 0200 and was on the road by 0230 driving to Manchester, NH to catch my early flight to work. I have never hydroplaned so much, it was pouring rain. I made it though, and y flight to work, managed a nap and flew to Phoenix where I am now. So today was supposed to be a long run which turned into a “rest day.” Question.. do I do a long run tomorrow here (has to be on treadmill because.. Phoenix..) or.. because I have access to a Peloton, do I ride and maybe turn it into a long brick? I kind of feel like anytime I can get access to some kind of bike I should take advantage of it. I don’t know.
2021-07-19 7:51 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a long slow 10 mile trail run yesterday. My hip flexers were on fire by the end, which apparently means I pick my legs up when running rather than push off the ground (I have a feeling I'm mostly doing this on the hills). So not sure if this will be an issue in the Ragnar, but maybe it's good I have my longest leg last.

2021-07-19 9:01 AM
in reply to: #5277150

User image

, Vermont
Wow, nice run Nicole!! I do the same thing - if you figure out how to make yourself push off more, please let me know. When is your Ragnar again?
2021-07-19 9:38 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Wow, nice run Nicole!! I do the same thing - if you figure out how to make yourself push off more, please let me know. When is your Ragnar again?

Haha will do! The guy I run with keeps telling me this but I'm like, I've been running for many many years. Changing the mechanics of how I run will certainly be tricky (and I like running b/c I don't have to think about stuff...it's my meditation time).

Ragnar is August 13-14! Need to get some two a days happening! Took today off though so my hip flexers can heal.
2021-07-19 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Wow, nice run Nicole!! I do the same thing - if you figure out how to make yourself push off more, please let me know. When is your Ragnar again?
Haha will do! The guy I run with keeps telling me this but I'm like, I've been running for many many years. Changing the mechanics of how I run will certainly be tricky (and I like running b/c I don't have to think about stuff...it's my meditation time). Ragnar is August 13-14! Need to get some two a days happening! Took today off though so my hip flexers can heal.

Changing running mechanics is very difficult.  I find that our bodies self-select a running gait / cadence that supports our body mechanics and limitations.  I'm almost 6'4" and I have a comically slow cadence (like 75/minute).  Several years ago I tried really hard to push that to the mid-80s at it caused more problems than it solved.

You were a sprinter/speed runner earlier in your career, right?  That type of running pushes for high knees (pulling up with the hip flexors) to have a quicker turnover and stride length, which isn't particularly efficient but it doesn't matter for those short distances.  When going fast there's no real recovery part of the stride, but when distance running you'll need that recovery and maybe your experience has auto-wired you to remain tense/taut throughout the running stride.

2021-07-19 11:50 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

TdF challenge complete...about 480 miles over the 21 rides in 23 days.  Just a tad less than last year, but I feel like I raced a little better.  The final stage was racing around Paris on the Champs-Ellyesses course, which is a blast and then later in the day I watched it live.  I didn't have the best race tactics-wise and had nothing left for my sprint, but it was a good race overall. 

Taking a bit of a recovery week than aquabike training time - race is in 9 weeks.

2021-07-19 3:30 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

TdF challenge complete...about 480 miles over the 21 rides in 23 days.  Just a tad less than last year, but I feel like I raced a little better.  The final stage was racing around Paris on the Champs-Ellyesses course, which is a blast and then later in the day I watched it live.  I didn't have the best race tactics-wise and had nothing left for my sprint, but it was a good race overall. 

Taking a bit of a recovery week than aquabike training time - race is in 9 weeks.

Well done!

2021-07-20 12:53 AM
in reply to: #5277155

User image

, Vermont
Mike, well done!!! I watched that final race last night too. Poor Cavendish.. almost history in the making. Those guys were HAULING!

Was in Phoenix and managed an hour on the Peloton. I tried to crank up my effort so it didn’t seem like junk miles. I didn’t do my long run this week but decided to take advantage of the bike while I had one. I found out there’s a pool down the street at LA Fitness and found a bus I ca take to get there but didn’t do it this time as I had some online training stuff I needed to knock out. Tuesday I’m in Houston - good gym nearby but much shorter overnight so we’ll see what happens.
2021-07-20 7:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Wow, nice run Nicole!! I do the same thing - if you figure out how to make yourself push off more, please let me know. When is your Ragnar again?
Haha will do! The guy I run with keeps telling me this but I'm like, I've been running for many many years. Changing the mechanics of how I run will certainly be tricky (and I like running b/c I don't have to think about stuff...it's my meditation time). Ragnar is August 13-14! Need to get some two a days happening! Took today off though so my hip flexers can heal.

Changing running mechanics is very difficult.  I find that our bodies self-select a running gait / cadence that supports our body mechanics and limitations.  I'm almost 6'4" and I have a comically slow cadence (like 75/minute).  Several years ago I tried really hard to push that to the mid-80s at it caused more problems than it solved.

You were a sprinter/speed runner earlier in your career, right?  That type of running pushes for high knees (pulling up with the hip flexors) to have a quicker turnover and stride length, which isn't particularly efficient but it doesn't matter for those short distances.  When going fast there's no real recovery part of the stride, but when distance running you'll need that recovery and maybe your experience has auto-wired you to remain tense/taut throughout the running stride.

Yeah I was a middle distance runner, so although I ran XC, my love was track and my races were the 400, 800 and mile. I like them short and sweet I think I am probably stiff on these runs, but it's also trail running, so I think I'm extra stiff because I'm constantly having to step over roots and rocks and such. This isn't a problem I ever remember having when I have done longer road runs, but I also don't typically go out and knock out 10 miles, so who knows. It started bothering me around mile 5.5 and by the end was pretty rough, but I also could've kept going longer if needed. I was just a lot slower and walking more hills.

Edited by nicole14e 2021-07-20 7:28 AM
2021-07-20 7:26 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Awesome job!
2021-07-20 7:30 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Played some volleyball last night and luckily my hip flexors were already feeling better. Got in about a 4.5 mile run this morning that felt pretty good too. I'm so bored of the park by my house so had to push myself to get another mile in. Also noticed a swimmer in the pool in the park, so need to check out their hours (they were all crazy b/c of Covid but seems like they might be somewhat back to normal now) so I can start getting some laps in to prepare for my tri.
2021-07-20 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Played some volleyball last night and luckily my hip flexors were already feeling better. Got in about a 4.5 mile run this morning that felt pretty good too. I'm so bored of the park by my house so had to push myself to get another mile in. Also noticed a swimmer in the pool in the park, so need to check out their hours (they were all crazy b/c of Covid but seems like they might be somewhat back to normal now) so I can start getting some laps in to prepare for my tri.

Yeah, the figure 8 gets boring eventually, no?

I used to do a VO2 max / hill workout there you could try...start at the crossroads in the middle of the park, then head southwest on the main road (towards the fancy playground), up the hill and to the fountain.  It's just over a half mile and the grade forces your pace down about :30/mile.  Walk down the Baltimore Street side to the crossroads and repeat until you hit your mileage mark.

Here's the Strava segment:  https://www.strava.com/segments/8226842

2021-07-20 1:33 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e Played some volleyball last night and luckily my hip flexors were already feeling better. Got in about a 4.5 mile run this morning that felt pretty good too. I'm so bored of the park by my house so had to push myself to get another mile in. Also noticed a swimmer in the pool in the park, so need to check out their hours (they were all crazy b/c of Covid but seems like they might be somewhat back to normal now) so I can start getting some laps in to prepare for my tri.

Yeah, the figure 8 gets boring eventually, no?

I used to do a VO2 max / hill workout there you could try...start at the crossroads in the middle of the park, then head southwest on the main road (towards the fancy playground), up the hill and to the fountain.  It's just over a half mile and the grade forces your pace down about :30/mile.  Walk down the Baltimore Street side to the crossroads and repeat until you hit your mileage mark.

Here's the Strava segment:  https://www.strava.com/segments/8226842

Soooo boring! Love this idea. I need more interval runs anyway. I did a hill workout a few weeks ago straight up Baltimore street but this will be a nice change up too. Thanks!
2021-07-20 10:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Lots to catch up on here, I'll start with me.

It looks like I'm pretty much over the bug I picked up from our little miss, I'm feeling good now, but it stuck around for most of the last week. I only got to run Saturday and Sunday. Both for an hour, which is the first time I've done 2 60 minute runs in a single week for a long time, so that's a bit of a win. But only 2 hours for the week is disappointing.

This week, I've been away on a commissioning for work, (the job went well, so that was nice) but early starts plus the plant running a night shift means no opportunities for running on that trip. And the 2nd half of the week is looking pretty unlikely too. My sister in law had her baby on Monday, so Friday Mrs Bullfrog and her parents are going to visit for 4 days. This means I'm going to be unsupervised Daddy in charge of our 2 little lovelies... Obviously that's going to rule out morning runs until the the other half returns. So tomorrow morning is probably my only chance for a run this week.

So, this is some motivation to get indoor training back into action. I'll be getting the old road bike out of the shed, onto the trainer and back onto zwift. Not sure I'm up for Mikes level of zwifting, but it'll be good to be back doing something.
2021-07-20 10:43 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
MikeThat is a huge cycling block. Even more impressive when you convert miles to km so us foreigners can understand. Great job.

Nicole With my lengthy IT band recovery still ongoing I'm probably not allowed to comment. But be careful trying to force yourself to change running mechanics. It seems like a good way to injure a different part of your body if those changes don't happen in a very slow, controlled way.

Nathalie Sounds like training for an aqua bike. Have you managed some running yet?

Jenn Keep up the good work, again you put my efforts during my limited travels to shame.

DQ Where are you buddy? doesn't matter if you've had a good week or bad, check in! We're here to help.

Have a good rest of your week guys.
2021-07-21 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog MikeThat is a huge cycling block. Even more impressive when you convert miles to km so us foreigners can understand. Great job.

And I'm faster in kilometers! 

2021-07-21 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Recovery week so far:  day off Monday, short bike, treadmill and swim Tuesday, hour-long easy ride today.  Slept like the dead last night so I think I'm releasing that built-up fatigue (it usually takes a few days for me).  My swim yesterday was at our community pool which is about 100 feet from my front porch.  They don't open until noon and there aren't any lap lanes but I'll be using it to get some short (600-1K) swims in for frequency (makes a big difference for me). 

2021-07-21 7:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Hi Guys,

Lots to catch up on here, I'll start with me.

It looks like I'm pretty much over the bug I picked up from our little miss, I'm feeling good now, but it stuck around for most of the last week. I only got to run Saturday and Sunday. Both for an hour, which is the first time I've done 2 60 minute runs in a single week for a long time, so that's a bit of a win. But only 2 hours for the week is disappointing.

This week, I've been away on a commissioning for work, (the job went well, so that was nice) but early starts plus the plant running a night shift means no opportunities for running on that trip. And the 2nd half of the week is looking pretty unlikely too. My sister in law had her baby on Monday, so Friday Mrs Bullfrog and her parents are going to visit for 4 days. This means I'm going to be unsupervised Daddy in charge of our 2 little lovelies... Obviously that's going to rule out morning runs until the the other half returns. So tomorrow morning is probably my only chance for a run this week.

So, this is some motivation to get indoor training back into action. I'll be getting the old road bike out of the shed, onto the trainer and back onto zwift. Not sure I'm up for Mikes level of zwifting , but it'll be good to be back doing something.

I don't know that any of us are up for that...maybe Jenn haha

2021-07-21 8:01 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nicole With my lengthy IT band recovery still ongoing I'm probably not allowed to comment. But be careful trying to force yourself to change running mechanics. It seems like a good way to injure a different part of your body if those changes don't happen in a very slow, controlled way.

Yeah, I'm honestly pretty content to keep running how I do. My hip flexors will just get stronger, right? Is that how that works? lol
I honestly think it's mostly because I'm not used to the elevation. I'm gonna pay attention to my hip flexors after longer road runs though and see if it's still an issue.
2021-07-21 8:04 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to my gym this morning and got in a good strength/cardio HIIT workout.

I looked into our local pool. I'm on a wait list for the morning swim pass, so might swing by there tomorrow morning and see if there's any chance I can be moved up. There really weren't many people there when I ran by the other day which makes me think people signed up for it but may not be using it. So we'll see.

Also need to put air in my tires and get out on my bike a bit. As those of you who have been in this group for awhile know. I am not a fan of the bike. Mostly I just get really bored (I actually really enjoy biking when I'm doing it with someone else), and there's no easy ride for me to do from my house since I live in the city, unless I just go do figure 8s around the park that I also run in all the time. Regardless, I need to at least get my sit bones used to being on a bike, and maybe get in some longer rides before my tri in a little over 2 months.
2021-07-21 10:33 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey all, just reached out to DQ and he is on vacation but plans to get back on BT next week. He's still struggling and dealing with injury but I told him to keep checking in anyway so hopefully we hear from him again soon
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31