BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-01-02 2:37 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
The Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) is a long running mentor group on BT. We are a loose group of variably experienced triathletes, with a wide range of experiences. BDAS members all mentor and help each other, all while sharing our own experiences and encouraging each other in tri and life.

NAME: Gretchen (drfoodlove)

EXPERIENCE: Started training for triathlon in 2012, after seeing the Olympics, but didn't do my first race until 2014. Since then, I've worked through a distance progression of sprints (2014), Oly (2015), HIM (2016-2019), and then was supposed to go full in 2020, but then the world closed.

FAMILY: Wife and a 12 year old pit mix

TRAINING: 2021 is dedicated to the 140.6 at Michigan Titanium, so I'm full on training. Weakness is the run.

RACING: The only thing I am signed up for in 2021 is MiTi 140.6. I'm not investing any cash into race registrations until I'm confident races will actually happen. MiTi is a deferral from 2020, so didn't cost me anything (more)

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: I've been in BDAS for a number of years--not sure how many. I'm pretty consistent in my training and in my posting. I have some knowledge and am happy to share with everyone anything I know.

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): I'm a big fan of porters and stouts. My recent discovery is Great Lakes Brewing Ohio Street Porter, which is unfortunately, a seasonal beer only available at Christmas time.

2021-01-02 3:25 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

Thanks, Gretchen.  I'm out of town and this is not the easiest thing to type on a tablet!

2021-01-07 8:44 AM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Yay! We’re FINALLY live!!! Hope everyone is having a great, quiet first week of the new year!!! :D

As for our family, we’ll...my wife cut the tip of her pinky off on Jan 2. A niece (7yo) broke both bones in her forearm performing what must have been a spectacular dance move. My dad has a raging infection in the leg he broke 18 mo ago and is going to have surgery next week to clean it out and remove the hardware. And....oh yeah, the country is on fire. So...happy new year everyone!! 2021 is gonna be awesome!!
2021-01-07 10:33 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks for doing this, Gretchen. Jenn, hope you feel better soon!!!

I went to my first class at my new gym yesterday. Can barely walk today, lol (the muscles in my lower back are on FIRE) but am going to try to get a run in this afternoon. If that doesn't work out, I will get a long walk in at least. Have another class tomorrow, and possibly Saturday, although I might cancel that and go for a long hike with some friends instead.

Will leave my bio shortly
2021-01-07 10:34 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Yay! We’re FINALLY live!!! Hope everyone is having a great, quiet first week of the new year!!! :D

As for our family, we’ll...my wife cut the tip of her pinky off on Jan 2. A niece (7yo) broke both bones in her forearm performing what must have been a spectacular dance move. My dad has a raging infection in the leg he broke 18 mo ago and is going to have surgery next week to clean it out and remove the hardware. And....oh yeah, the country is on fire. So...happy new year everyone!! 2021 is gonna be awesome!!

Wow, so 2021 is mirroring 2020 for you, huh? Hope everyone comes through okay (including our country...what a dumpster fire it is right now...).
2021-01-07 10:53 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all! See below for my bio

NAME: Nicole

EXPERIENCE: Grew up playing all kinds of sports. Ran track/XC in college, and I used to swim competitively, so tris just made sense. My parents bought me a bike for a bday, and about 6 years later I did my first tri! I totally loved it. I'm not great at sticking to a training plan, but I'm always active so that helps me a lot. I have been in a bit of a slump, especially with the pandemic (as I'm sure many people are) since no sports are happening. I just joined a gym, so hoping that helps kick my booty into gear.

FAMILY: A sweet little furbaby, my cat Raven <3 and a supportive boyfriend

TRAINING: Along with this gym I signed up for, which will give me both strength and cardio, I'm trying to run on days I don't go there, and hope to get back in the pool soon (might wait until I'm vaccinated). Also need to get back into yoga to keep loose, and once my basement is finished will either get a stationary bike, or a trainer for my road bike.

RACING: I signed up for a sprint tri in October (Baltimore Triathlon) that I've done quite a few times. Gonna see how things unfold with the pandemic and hopefully do a few more before then, either sprint or olympic. I love the short races, so haven't gone above an oly and at this time don't really have the desire to.

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: I've been in BDAS since 2014 or so. It's great to have people to check in with, and I love to support others in any way I can. I'm less an advice provider and more a cheering squad/support team

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): Like Gretchen, I'm also a big porter/stout girl when it comes to beer. I also love red wine...a lot. Currently doing Dry January though, and actually will probably be dry through Valentine's day, b/c I'm in a weight loss competition and that is when it ends.

2021-01-07 2:46 PM
in reply to: #5274228

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Had a 53’ ride today. It was pretty rough. I gave blood on Tuesday and my hr was skyrocketing during every interval. We’re talking like 175bpm while riding at about 85% FTP. It was not a good time.

Same thing happened yesterday on my long run...supposed to be in Z2, but even the slightest hill would cause a spike. I was doing 5:1 run:walk, but it was more like 1:3:1:1 with run:walk:run:walk. I was supposed to do 2:05, but I ended up calling that nightmare after 1:25.

I know this always happens when I donate, but it is really important to me to do it.
2021-01-08 1:41 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yeah, the BDASses are back!

NAME: Nathalie

LOCATION: Europe. (Sweden for the last 19 years, England before that and grew up in France)

EXPERIENCE: Martial arts and team sports (mainly soccer) all my life until knees gave up. Nothing for a few years (except gaining weight if that’s a sport) until I tried triathlon in 2014. Not hooked from the start, was training sporadically and doing one sprint a year until 2017 when It finally clicked and I started to take it more seriously. Trained more, lost weight, got better. 2018 was my best year, did 5 sprints, was in good shape, had great results.
2019 was marred by a nagging foot injury.
2020, well, you know, no races (except one OWS) and a group tri Training/kind of race when I finally tried olympic distance which was not as hard as I thought, I’ll definitely do more of these. Then I broke my collarbone (downhill mountainbike on an old crappy bike). Started running more which f*cked up my knees, bought a smart trainer and discovered Zwift.

FAMILY: Husband, 16yo son who could nor care less about tris. One dog, 2 cats. Full time job

TRAINING: No Swimming for a while (collarbone and now pool closed and lake too cold), running a little (knees permitting) plenty of cycling on my new toy.

RACING: Whenever I can, Hopefully there will be some towards the end of the season.

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: been in this group and the oldies group before

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): Lager!
2021-01-08 6:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

the only way is up! hope your family members (and country) will recover soon.
2021-01-08 2:07 PM
in reply to: #5274241

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hourish run today, which felt a lot better than earlier in the week. I was able to hit target hr zones without dramatically over shooting them.
2021-01-09 7:50 PM
in reply to: #5274270

User image

, Vermont
Yay! I’ll get a profile up soon.

2021-01-10 9:02 AM
in reply to: #5274289

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi Jen! You feeling ok?
2021-01-10 2:54 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Thanks Gretchen for kicking us off for another year of fun, and a bit of suffering.

NAME: Bullfrog/Andrew

EXPERIENCE: Did my first endurance event (Half Marathon) in 2010, first tri in 2011. Since then I've done, 12 sprint tris, 1 Oly, 3 70.3 and 1 full Ironman. Also up to 16 half marathons. Never with any great success, I've always been 'completing' rather than 'competing'

FAMILY: Married to a very understanding/supportive wife, 1 running buddy dog, 2 kids, Mr 3 year old and Miss 1 month old.

TRAINING: Coming off my most consistent year of training since 2012. approx. 302 hours total of SBR.

My goals for the next year are weight loss, it's always been up and down I need it to go, and stay down both for the sport and my long term health. And consistency, I want to be doing 7-10 hours a week, every week. I'm looking for a couple of years building up that aerobic base.

I also discovered indoor cycling and zwift last year, with a young family the convience factor is hard to beat. I expect probably at least half my total training in 2021 will be zwifting.

RACING: Haven't raced a Triathlon since Ironman NZ 2017 (since arrival of Mr 3) Have a 70.3 scheduled for 23 Jan, If I pass that fitness test, Ironman NZ 6 March. Also a half marathon in April (was cancelled twice in 2020 due to covid) Rest of the year will be some running through the NZ winter and looking to do some more 70.3s next summer.

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: A couple of years in BDAS now. Very few of my real life friends, and no real life family do Tris, so I enjoy the banter, and accountability.

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): Very limited drinking the last year, due to focusing on training. Love a pilsner on a hot day tho. Looking forward to re stocking the beer fridge post Ironman.
2021-01-10 3:03 PM

Hey now...this is my kinda group! I appreciate a good beer...especially when I'm drinking it

Name: Chris

Experience: Hmmm...did my first tri in 2001 and progressed through the distances doing my first IM (Lake Placid) in 2004. I did it again in 2007 (I didn't learn my lesson though I did find the one flat spot on that course...the swim!). After 2007 I was torn apart physically and mentally and slowly faded away from the sport (family and career took over...no regrets there). Since then, I tried to get back into the sport in 2016 (I think? The years blur together after a bit) and ended up herniating a disk in my back...which took a while to heal. So here I am again...over 50 now and ready to get back into the sport.

Family: Wife, 3 kids (all older), a dog (my old training partner, now retired at age 15 much to his dismay--he still wants to run with me!), and a cat

Training: Uh...what's that?...Yeah, I'll get there again.

Racing: I've not signed up for anything yet since a) money is too tight right now and b) well...uncertainty brought about by COVID...BUT I'm eyeing the Pumpkinman Sprint (going to take it slow...my shape is more round than any other at this point)

Metor/Mentee experience: I relied heavily on a community of triathletes in CoolRunning (wow...anyone remember THAT???) where we would get and give advice freely. Did a TON of research back in the day, but it seems a lot of changes have happened since then (I had Joel Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible v. 2????)

Favorite beer: The cold one that's in front of me :D. I like porters, stouts, and IPAs. Specific fave? Much of what comes out of Stoneface Brewing (about 15 miles from here) and Founder's CBS (it's a day-ender for sure!)

-Chris

Some people dream of great accomplishments, while others stay awake and do them. – Unknown

2021-01-10 3:17 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
A little update from me.

As you know our little family welcomed our newest member in mid December. Mum and baby are both doing very well, and we are now getting settled into our new routines. The little girl is sleeping 3-4 hours at a time overnight, I don't want to jinx it, but that's pretty good sleepwise for the adults. Obviously training has taken a back seat to real life over the last 4 weeks. But my over supportive wife is pushing me back onto the bike.

After a period where 30 minute zwift rides/runs with doggo were the extent of my training, I got a 3 hour ride on new years day, and a 90 minute run to finish that week. And the week just finished got a 4 hour ride and 2 hour run, 9 hours 40 total. I also haven't swim since November. I'm comfortable in the water, but that is a bit of a concern.

Unfortunately (if unsurprisingly) my weight creeped up a bit again over the Christmas period, added to the baby induced lack of sleep and drop off in training, I'm increasingly nervous about being able to complete IMNZ in March. Next weekend is the Tauranga Half Ironman, which I did as a warm up for IMNZ last time. I'm going to be treating it as an absolute fitness test. Last time out I did 7hr 14 (slow I know) If I cant get under 7 hours I'll be pulling the pin on the full.

That said, if you had asked me a month ago I would have said I was aiming for 6-6:30 for the 70.3. So I should be well under. But we will see.
2021-01-11 1:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Welcome Chris!

Nice to hear you are getting back into regular training Andrew

Hurt my calf yesterday on my first run in a week. It never ends.... (Knes were fine, I guess that’s something....)

2021-01-11 6:12 AM
in reply to: cmkujawa

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by cmkujawa

Hey now...this is my kinda group! I appreciate a good beer...especially when I'm drinking it

Name: Chris

Experience: Hmmm...did my first tri in 2001 and progressed through the distances doing my first IM (Lake Placid) in 2004. I did it again in 2007 (I didn't learn my lesson though I did find the one flat spot on that course...the swim!). After 2007 I was torn apart physically and mentally and slowly faded away from the sport (family and career took over...no regrets there). Since then, I tried to get back into the sport in 2016 (I think? The years blur together after a bit) and ended up herniating a disk in my back...which took a while to heal. So here I am again...over 50 now and ready to get back into the sport.

Family: Wife, 3 kids (all older), a dog (my old training partner, now retired at age 15 much to his dismay--he still wants to run with me!), and a cat

Training: Uh...what's that?...Yeah, I'll get there again.

Racing: I've not signed up for anything yet since a) money is too tight right now and b) well...uncertainty brought about by COVID...BUT I'm eyeing the Pumpkinman Sprint (going to take it slow...my shape is more round than any other at this point)

Metor/Mentee experience: I relied heavily on a community of triathletes in CoolRunning (wow...anyone remember THAT???) where we would get and give advice freely. Did a TON of research back in the day, but it seems a lot of changes have happened since then (I had Joel Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible v. 2????)

Favorite beer: The cold one that's in front of me :D. I like porters, stouts, and IPAs. Specific fave? Much of what comes out of Stoneface Brewing (about 15 miles from here) and Founder's CBS (it's a day-ender for sure!)

-Chris

Some people dream of great accomplishments, while others stay awake and do them. – Unknown

Welcome Chris!!  

Hi, all.  I'll get up my bio later this week when I have some time.

So I FINALLY had a few days off here in South Florida (working from a condo down here for a bit as I'm allergic to cold weather apparently LOL), and then Wednesday happened.  SMH.

Anyway good to hear from some friendly faces.  

2021-01-11 7:12 AM
in reply to: #5274293

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome Chris!

Nathalie—yay that the knees were fine!! Boo for calf injury! Soft tissue stuff sucks!

I’m kicking off a test week here and will be spending some, maybe all?, at my folks house. My dad’s having surgery to remove the hardware from his previously broken (read nearly severed and amputated) leg. There is massive infection and the dr is talking about him needing skin and muscle grafts to heal up. He, of course, is not interested in the idea of six to eight weeks on IV antibiotics. So, off to the homestead I go to help out.
2021-01-11 2:08 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Chris Welcome to the group

Nathalie, Good that your knees were fine, but please be careful with a calf injury. It's been years since I've done mine but they can be nasty little injuries that take way too long to go away.

Gretchen, Hope your dads surgery is a success. You sure have a dramatic life at times. Best of luck

Me, I started the week with a nice little 45 minute run before work this morning, with 3 x 6min cruise intervals. Started with the whole house asleep, and finished with the same. That's how you manage training and family life.
2021-01-11 3:15 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Gretchen: OUCH! That's no fun...hope your dad feels better fast!

Andrew: I remember those days...would try to get either a run or swim in before anyone even knew I was gone...also would do long trainer rides outdoors while I watched the kids play in the yard...

Me: started my day with 15 minutes of yoga focused on core strength (baby steps...and this is the first and most desperately needed!). Went for a 30 minute power walk at lunch with the dog...not far or strenuous, but it's a start--and in line with my plan for now. I plan on focusing on strength and flexibility with a healthy dose of cycling (I can go forever on a bike still) and slowly building my run. Swimming will get added as things thaw here or I can afford a pool membership again

2021-01-11 7:52 PM
in reply to: cmkujawa

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Chris, welcome! Everyone else, welcome back! I always love the beginning of the year b/c we have some vets and some newbies coming in

I am having a productive start to the year. I'm down about 5 lbs, started a juice cleanse today that's mostly going well (although I reeeeally want some popcorn or something), and I'm getting back into a groove with my workouts. Went on a long hike on Saturday, did my gym class (strength and cardio) this morning, and did some Zumba this evening. Feeling good!

Gretchen, I totally get the blood donation thing! I had actually signed up to do one tomorrow, but don't think it's a good idea while on this cleanse, so I need to find another day. Training is always rough for me for about a week, but then I get back to normal.

2021-01-12 2:19 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Excellent Nicole! Can you tell me more about this juice cleanse you are doing? Sounds like something I would benefit from

I am also a blood donor, it normally takes only a couple of days to recover but then again, my training is never has hard as Gretchen's (I am still a try-athlete )

2021-01-12 1:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Chris Well that's 15 minutes more yoga than I've done this year. The trainer is a godsend for getting training in since becoming a Dad, but I can't do long trainer rides. I think about 90 minutes on a trainer is my limit. Zwift is fun, but it's not that fun. haha.

Nicole Good job on the weight loss, I managed to put on about 4lbs over the break, so you're 9 up on me. And good luck for your juice cleanse.

Me 30 min zwift ride last night, with some Z4 intervals to make it worth the effort. and 1000m in the pool this morning, after 6 weeks of no swimming, my arms sure let me know it's been a while. Looking for an hour on the trainer tonight.

Edited by bulfrog 2021-01-12 1:41 PM
2021-01-12 5:07 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Excellent Nicole! Can you tell me more about this juice cleanse you are doing? Sounds like something I would benefit from

Hey Nathalie, check out the info at this link https://www.purerawjuice.com/juice-cleanses/.This is the company I am doing the cleanse through (I chose the traditional). So far so good! Almost through day 2 and surprisingly not hungry at all right now. I did have some celery with PB earlier today b/c I needed some protein, but that has really held me over. Also, the cashew mylk is delicious, and really ends the day on a high note.
2021-01-12 5:09 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

Nicole Good job on the weight loss, I managed to put on about 4lbs over the break, so you're 9 up on me. And good luck for your juice cleanse.

Me 30 min zwift ride last night, with some Z4 intervals to make it worth the effort. and 1000m in the pool this morning, after 6 weeks of no swimming, my arms sure let me know it's been a while. Looking for an hour on the trainer tonight.

I'm sure you'll drop it in no time now that the holidays are over and you guys are (hopefully) getting into more of a groove with the little miss.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31