Pat Griskus Triathlon Series
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 2s
Overall Rank = 35/130
Age Group = M60-64
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

MId day race always throws me off. Thought I had everything when I packed, but that proved not to be true. Had Boost/RK treat and G2 with nuun early and water to stay hydrated. Got gas, loaded car with triathlon stuff and headed out at 3:30pm for the hour drive. No issues with traffic and registered across the venue and set up transition in a good spot. Brought the bucket as I was near the outside so it would not be in anyone's way. Vehicle was close so easy trip back if needed. All good until I realized that I forgot to bring my helmet! Asked the announcer to see if anyone had an extra and I was able to borrow one.
Event warmup:

Did ~8 minutes of swim warmup but I need 15-20 min usually. Didn't feel too off but I was nervous to be starting with the elites and knew I had to start slow.
Swim
  • 18m 46s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

it's always an adventure in the water; this time I swam right into someone who responded by kicking my goggles off; freaked me out and I looked around for them for about a minute, then calmed myself and after a few breaths, I realized they were still holding onto my cap-back on and ventured off behind all the elite swimmers; very close to DFL
What would you do differently?:

so much...
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

continuing my cluster-f*ck race, I was flying through transition and got to the start line and back pedalled to get my pedal at the 9:00 position and the chain fell off-so I scooped it up quickly and threw it on the small chain ring, reset and straddled the bike, locked in and pedalled out-probably took an extra 15 seconds

have the pedals in the correct position from the start; also needed to put on my sweat band on the bike; sweat was getting into my eyes since I forgot to put it on
Bike
  • 33m 25s
  • 10.6 miles
  • 19.03 mile/hr
Comments:

this bike is always hard, but it is worse when you start out so very breathless from the stupid swim mistakes; should have had lower air tire pressure with the roads being so bad; was able to grind out some power but very low cadence for me and felt uncomfortable in aero due to back pain and not able to breathe, still missed the final right turn onto the main road about a mile from the finish-I've done that 3 out of 4 times now in this race

higher cadence, stay aero, stay on course, not forget my own helmet
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

still a pretty good T2 for me but I've gotta get better at bending and pulling on the shoes and going just a bit quicker through it all

try to run it all in my head a few times as I get closer on the bike so no mistakes are made
Run
  • 24m
  • 2.95 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I eased into the down hill and kept pretty good speed even though I could have gone faster, I was worried about smashing my heel which is bruised, pushed a bit on mile 2 and then pushed hard on the last 1/2 mile of the race-even got dizzy

nothing really
Post race
Warm down:

always takes me ~5 minutes before I can talk and function, got a beer for myself and DW, sought out my helmet savior and thanked him again and bought him a beer-met his kids and told them how great he was *(for which his son gave me a big high five); waited for awards and got 3AG-no onsite results posted so everyone stayed to find out placing-very smart decision. I am so grateful for my loving wife's support at this (*and all) events. She helps me remember things, cheers me on and helps me through the race with attentive support.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

a few injuries, limited training in the past few weeks, difficult course

http://iresultslive.com/?op=overall&eid=5316

Event comments:

Tom Wilkas runs this superb event and it is always top notch all around. The course is challenging and there is a core of people who regularly attend. It is almost always on time and there is abundant support-especially in the swim, which is where it is most needed at these events. Plenty of drink stations and nice time of the year and weather is almost always great. Love it, love it.

Last updated: 2022-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:46 | 880 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 85/130
Performance: Bad
averaged ~25 strokes/min-started a bit slower and ended a bit faster which was good; did start too fast, as usual; no HR data; about 500 strokes in total
Suit: Vortex Sleeveless
Course: clockwise; out past 3 buoys on the left and 3 on the right; keeping them all to our R side; sun on the way back means tinted goggles were a good choice
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:25 | 10.6 miles | 19.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 20/130
Performance: Average
av HR-142/ max HR 152 Laps: 2:08/2:39/2:56/2:18/4:04/4:30/3:22/3:06/3:47/3:10/1:40
Wind: Little
Course: big loop around the lake; hills on miles: 5,6,7,9 biggest one was mile 6 roads were milled for several miles which included all the hilly miles on 5-7 but we were all going slow there anyway-didn't see any flats
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:00 | 02.95 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 35/130
Performance: Good
splits were about: 7:45/7:45/8:30
Course: out the venue-turn right and jog down the slight hill, turn right, the road turns to the left and drops down the hill which is much steeper on the second half of the first mile; out to the turn around which is just past the bend at the bottom and climb back up to the top; start pushing at the bridge all the way to the finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2022-07-07 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon

2022-07-07 1:17 PM
in reply to: #5281788

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon
For us tri people, forgetting helmet/goggles/etc is like the walking into a classroom and realizing there's a test you didn't know about dream..

Way to muscle through and looks like a nice result..!
2022-07-16 5:13 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon
ha-yeah, a dream...or a nightmare!

I was very lucky to have someone there to help me out. Not racing would have s*cked in a big way.

There are a few more chances at redemption this year...to be continued...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options)

Started by dtoce
Views: 678 Posts: 5

2022-06-28 6:06 PM dtoce

Buffalo Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by mmishler
Views: 517 Posts: 1

2022-05-16 9:08 PM mmishler

TexasMan Sprint Triathlon

Started by kentwest
Views: 651 Posts: 1

2021-09-21 8:58 PM kentwest

Karshalm Sprint triathlon