Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 99

2023-03-29 1:12 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by drfoodlove

@Nat--dying to know! Did your team win Game 7?!?!

Not yet! It starts in 2 hours! I am very nervous. The place is sold out, there is going to be thousands of people. The real hardcore fans (the ones who sing) are planning to put people in every section to get the quieter ones going and push our team.

I am definitely counting this as a workout. I will start my watch to see my average heart rate. It's gonna be hiiiggghhhh!!

Hope you get an reply about the pool length, we need to know!

Can't wait to hear about it! Also...really interested to hear about your HR data from cheering! So much is made about everyday activities being the real key to health. I'm interested to see if you really get a sustained boost.

2023-03-29 1:25 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Morning run for me--45' with 4x2.5' in Z4/5. Today I really tried to pay attention to HR AND pace to figure out what is going on, and I've determined has to be that my HR just doesn't increase fast enough to hit target zones with short intervals. The data:

Interval HR (Zone) Pace (Zone)
1 154 (2) 12:41 (5B)
2 150 (2) 13:16 (4)
3 156 (3) 11:47 (5B)
4 151 (2) 12:30 (5B)

So, while my HR is staying in Z2 and very low Z3, my pace is Z4 or Z5. I guess the next thing would be to look at the progression of HR during the rest intervals (Z1). To be honest, though, I'm not sure I can be fussed more than this. I'll do short intervals by pace from now on, aiming for the fast end of the zone, and HR for longer duration runs (which I already do). Should smooth out my anxieties about the HR/interval issue.

After the run, I did 45' of strength training, which all went well except the first set of squats (right after the run)--kinda felt like my knees weren't going to bend. They loosened up a bit after that, so all was well.
2023-03-29 5:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Not yet! It starts in 2 hours! I am very nervous. The place is sold out, there is going to be thousands of people. The real hardcore fans (the ones who sing) are planning to put people in every section to get the quieter ones going and push our team.

I am definitely counting this as a workout. I will start my watch to see my average heart rate. It's gonna be hiiiggghhhh!!

Can't wait to hear about it! Also...really interested to hear about your HR data from cheering! So much is made about everyday activities being the real key to health. I'm interested to see if you really get a sustained boost.

We won!! and when I say "we" I mean we, all of us, on the ice and on the stands.
Another very close game which finished 2-1 to the Vaxjo Lakers, my team. The other team had a puck on the goal frame with 9 seconds to go, that's how close!

Average heart rate 113bpm, max 155bpm, calories burned 509 (as much as a Z2 one hour run)

Bought my ticket very late so not the best seats but I was close to the action, could almost smell the blood.

(I forgot to stop my watch when the game was over, which explains the dip in bpm at the end)

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-03-29 6:42 AM

(IMG_0360.PNG)

(IMG_0352.jpg)

(IMG_0356.jpg)

(IMG_0359.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0360.PNG (662KB - 4 downloads)
IMG_0352.jpg (1964KB - 6 downloads)
IMG_0356.jpg (2573KB - 7 downloads)
IMG_0359.jpg (1942KB - 4 downloads)
2023-03-29 12:44 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e

Love to see all the activity starting to ramp up! It definitely helps with the weather improving. I've been somewhat steady with my workouts. I had my weekend in NC (placed 3rd in my tournament, won $200!), and was pretty successful in not drinking much. I had one car bomb on St. Paddy's, one mimosa Saturday, and then drank a bit of wine after my tournament and during the after party. Was pretty pleased with my success in meeting my goal! Got a nice run in while down there as well.

Going to swim tonight (and maybe run too). As for breathing, I prefer breathing to the left, but our coach "makes" us breathe to both sides, which I think is probably a good thing. I try to alternate which side I'm breathing to each lap (always breathing to the same wall). I have neck issues though so sometimes favor one side or the other.
I recently started going to my chiropractor again. He grabbed my trap and was like, yeah that's a huge knot...so hoping to improve my mobility in the next few weeks. He doesn't just crack you and send you on your way. He does scraping, cupping, and dry needling (if needed). Starting simple and also just need to start doing daily neck exercises. How do I remember to do all the things?! I feel like I know what I need to do, but just don't have those good habits built.

Great job Nicole (both on the 3rd place finish and the drinking goal)!! Have you ever read the book Atomic Habits by James Clear? If not, I highly recommend it. It is all about how to train yourself to do small things (like your neck mobility exercise) with tiny changes in mindset and activity. I thought it was hooey before I read it, but it really works.

I have not read it, but I'm going to check it out now! Thank you for the recommendation!
2023-03-29 12:48 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

We won!! and when I say "we" I mean we, all of us, on the ice and on the stands.
Another very close game which finished 2-1 to the Vaxjo Lakers, my team. The other team had a puck on the goal frame with 9 seconds to go, that's how close!

Average heart rate 113bpm, max 155bpm, calories burned 509 (as much as a Z2 one hour run)

Bought my ticket very late so not the best seats but I was close to the action, could almost smell the blood.

(I forgot to stop my watch when the game was over, which explains the dip in bpm at the end)

Congrats to you and your team! What happened to your hand?!

That heart rate is INCREDIBLE! Man, who knew what a good workout watching hockey could be?!
2023-03-29 12:53 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a crazy couple of days with work. Literally involving kidnapping and extortion (not me, someone in another country is trying to get a group to pay them federal funds as bribes and locked someone in an office until they paid them...). So I drank a little last night, and had an early meeting this morning.
I'm starting to dread this race I have coming up at the end of April. Really need to hunker down and get training!
I did make it to swimming the other night though. Got in about 2k yds.

2023-03-29 1:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Had a crazy couple of days with work. Literally involving kidnapping and extortion (not me, someone in another country is trying to get a group to pay them federal funds as bribes and locked someone in an office until they paid them...). So I drank a little last night, and had an early meeting this morning.
I'm starting to dread this race I have coming up at the end of April. Really need to hunker down and get training!

Wow! I would have had a drink too!

Remind us (or at least me), what kind of race?

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-03-29 1:02 PM
2023-03-29 4:01 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Congrats to you and your team! What happened to your hand?!

That heart rate is INCREDIBLE! Man, who knew what a good workout watching hockey could be?!

Both my hands were sore (still are) and bloody from 2 hours of clapping them.

It is quite the workout, yes, I was a little beaten up this morning (so much so that I woke up 2 hours too late). The noise, the excitement, the adrenaline. Great stuff, first semi final is on Friday, I’ll probably go.

2023-03-29 7:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So, Gretchen did an interval run, with a HR maxing out at 156bpm, My last workout with some 130%FTP intervals, got a max of 154bpm and Nathalie attended a hockey game and got a max HR of 155bpm? That is some intense spectating.

Congratulations on the win, enjoy the next round of play offs.
2023-03-29 7:46 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Wow, that's a stressful day at work. We've got busy all of a sudden. But nothing like that. Did it all work out?
2023-03-29 7:49 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

M To be honest, though, I'm not sure I can be fussed more than this. I'll do short intervals by pace from now on, aiming for the fast end of the zone, and HR for longer duration runs (which I already do). Should smooth out my anxieties about the HR/interval issue.

Sounds like the way to go. Don't totally discount RPE as well. A combo of pace RPE and HR, once you've got past the HR lag should keep you in the right place.

2023-03-30 1:34 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Wow, that's a stressful day at work. We've got busy all of a sudden. But nothing like that. Did it all work out?

This is like a normal Tuesday in Egypt! The "tipping" culture is ridiculous! I know a woman who lost 70,000GBP from a grant because it was paid into a ministry bank account (by requirement of the funding agency) and then one day the money was just gone. Never did figure out which set of pockets it lined.
2023-03-30 1:36 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

So, Gretchen did an interval run, with a HR maxing out at 156bpm, My last workout with some 130%FTP intervals, got a max of 154bpm and Nathalie attended a hockey game and got a max HR of 155bpm? That is some intense spectating.

averaging 156, not max, but totally understand where you'd going with this!

On many days I'd certainly prefer to cheer for my team (btw...Happy Opening Day to all!!! Let's go Cubbies!!!!!) than do an hour workout!!

Nat--those hands! Is that blood?!? From cheering? Glad your team won!!
2023-03-30 1:38 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A very boring, but oddly difficult 60' Z2 ride this morning. I was having trouble figuring out what was going on and why it felt so hard to ride Z2 in the middle of a recovery week and then I realized that duh...I did a ramp test on Tuesday and my FTP increased 3.4%, so of course it feels harder than I was expecting! I swear I'm smart...sometimes...:D
2023-03-30 1:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

The bpm was measured with the sensor under the watch itself, which I do not necessarily trust. I'll wear my chest band next time for a more accurate reading. Watch this space!
2023-03-30 1:58 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

A very boring, but oddly difficult 60' Z2 ride this morning. I was having trouble figuring out what was going on and why it felt so hard to ride Z2 in the middle of a recovery week and then I realized that duh...I did a ramp test on Tuesday and my FTP increased 3.4%, so of course it feels harder than I was expecting! I swear I'm smart...sometimes...:D

haha! easy mistake to make!

2023-03-30 2:40 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

The bpm was measured with the sensor under the watch itself, which I do not necessarily trust. I'll wear my chest band next time for a more accurate reading. Watch this space!

We are dedicated to the accuracy of our data in this group!! Love it!!
2023-03-30 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey all.  So busy here on the BDAS forum!

I'm still dealing with my wonky back but doing swim/bike/walk/yoga so keeping fit nonetheless.  I had an almost two hour outdoor ride on Saturday which was great, though the trail was packed so I really couldn't hammer it.  We fly up to Columbus to watch my daughter's final swim meet (Collegiate Club Nationals) this weekend so I'll be exhausted.  LOL

@Nathalie:  that is some serious clapping, girl!  I've done some tracking during Ravens games and while my HR doesn't get crazy high I get like 10K steps plus 20-30 floors of stair climbing in

@Gretchen:  the machine rolls on!  and you're totally correct on HR lag...those shorter intervals don't allow your HR to get up unless you really restrict recovery times; I train by pace anyway on runs anyway (or GAP - grade adjusted pace)

@Nicole:  nice job bringing home the cash money!! I played one open beach doubles tournament back in the 90s and we got SMOKED; we're heading home next weekend so might come back to Masters in April; kidnapping and extortion sounds exciting - wow I'd be drinking too

@Andrew:  good to see you stringing a bunch of workouts together; isn't nice to not be sick?  (knocking on wood for you)

Yoga this morning and a bike ride and lunch before getting up at 415 tomorrow to catch a flight.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2023-03-30 10:13 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike…4:15 for the flight…what time for the workout before you go?!? ????.

I once got up at 1:45 to get in a run before I left for a flight to Egypt.
2023-03-30 12:58 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

The race is basically a long relay. It's called the Seneca 7 (7 people run a total of 77.7 miles around Seneca Lake). So I will have 3 legs adding up to approximately 12 miles.
2023-03-30 1:02 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

This is like a normal Tuesday in Egypt! The "tipping" culture is ridiculous! I know a woman who lost 70,000GBP from a grant because it was paid into a ministry bank account (by requirement of the funding agency) and then one day the money was just gone. Never did figure out which set of pockets it lined.

Yeah I've basically been told that this is normal and we have overreacted by sending it up the ladder. I strongly disagree, so feel good about my decision, but overall feels crappy nonetheless.

2023-03-30 1:19 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike, definitely come back to masters! It's been a bit busy, which is good, but I'm currently a tweener - I'm kind of between lanes 2 and 3, and lane 2 was really full, so I swam in lane 3, and ouchie...not sure that tempts you to come back, haha, though we will be outside on Saturdays soon!

Cleaned my house like crazy last night and this morning and it looks amazing. I also finally hung a gallery wall of photo frames (I'm terrible at decorating) and it looks amazing.
Trying to control things I can. The whole work debacle is ongoing but mostly out of my hands at this point.

Got a longer (for me) run in this morning, about 5.5 miles. Overall felt pretty good, though I'm still a bit slow, but am glad I was able to get myself out there. Having some friends over tonight, so that will be some good stress relief!
2023-03-31 12:29 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

The race is basically a long relay. It's called the Seneca 7 (7 people run a total of 77.7 miles around Seneca Lake). So I will have 3 legs adding up to approximately 12 miles.

Oh yes! Sounds like fun!
2023-03-31 3:46 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Yeah I've basically been told that this is normal and we have overreacted by sending it up the ladder. I strongly disagree, so feel good about my decision, but overall feels crappy nonetheless.

I'm right there with you thinking this is unacceptable behavior. It is a classic disconnect between cultures that can very easily being remedied if there were open and clear lines of communication about the expectations on both sides. I mean...if you expect me to pay something over and above the permit fees I have already paid, tell me...in advance, in writing, and with willingness to provide receipts for the payments.
2023-03-31 3:50 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2000 yds swim this morning, with mostly weird sets of 3x something. I hate 3x things...even if it all works out in the end to be a round number (we know how I like round numbers) 3x feels like I didn't finish something. As the day progresses, I'll be doing my strength training. Friday is the first day of the weekend here, so theoretically, I shouldn't be working, but I am. Of course I am...ah well...at least I didn't start until 9 this morning.

Thought I felt an earthquake this morning at about 4am. Either I was awake, or it woke me up, but I clearly remember my body shaking on the bed and thinking, I wonder if that was an earthquake. There was one here at the beginning of February, and of course the Turkey earthquake in Feb (?/early March) was also felt here. I felt neither. I can't find anything that says there was an earthquake in Cairo this morning online though...so maybe I dreamed it, but I don't think so.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 99

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 868 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland