Longest run 10-12 miles
Longest run 13-14 miles
Longest run more than 14 miles
This is a multiple choice poll.

2023-05-11 11:10 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Were you a high school runner?

So...I participated in a run last week that was mostly made up of high schoolers with a few adults for supervision.  There were 12, 9, and 4 mile options.  One of the girls doing the 9-mile option set the pace for the whole group at about 7:20 pace.  She was about 14-15 years old and was doing one of of her longest runs ever. She said that she runs about 30 miles a week and was trying to earn a D1 running scholarship for college. After running with her I would give her the scholarship and felt that her training volume was about where it should be for a high school runner.   I however heard from one person on the run that the high school he is at does 13 mile runs as a team every Friday and that people are running 50-80 miles a week depending on their experience at that school.

The 30 miles a week with 9 miles being a rare long run sounds about par with what I did in high school.  50-80 miles a week with a regulars 13 mile long run every week perfectly describes the D1 college program that I ran with my freshman year as a walk-on.  I am curious what others are seeing at the high school level and if there is a trend to push high school programs to high volume for every runner.   

Mark below what weekly volume and what the longest run distance is for the high school program(s) you are familiar with.  This could be what you did in high school, what your kids did/do, what your local high school does, etc.  I just want to see what others are seeing out of high school programs.    

Edited by BlueBoy26 2023-05-11 11:14 AM

2023-05-15 7:51 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Were you a high school runner?

This year will be my 40th HS reunion.  

Ran XC 2 years, wrestled 3, and ran track (sprints) 3 years. 

XC was usually 3-5 miles (I ran on my own because I also did marching band). Course was 2.5 miles. 

Wrestling was often 15-20 minutes. We ran loops through the school including stairs.  2-3 miles. 

Track was a 1-1.5 mike warmup, intervals, bounding, 150 pushups and 150 sit-ups (more if we lost a dual meet), mile cool down. 

As I recall, I had a pair of yellow Asics Tigers…Freshman through Junior year and got a new pair for track my Senior year  

Coaching then was the “run ‘til you puke” model. I’m pretty sure modern coaching is much more sophisticated.  I’d expect a HS coach trying to get a sophomore girl into a D1 scholarship would have that kind of workload with somewhat more aggressive training for Junior or Senior girls. 

2023-05-15 9:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I ran throughout HS, was the state champion in the 2-mile my senior year (10:44), and ran on a D1 college team for 3 years (not a scholarship athlete, though I probably would have been at most schools. I was in a really high-powered program that won NCAA cross-country once and placed second when I was on that team.) As I recall, I didn't run particularly high mileage in high school. I mainly trained with the boys as I was faster than the girls, at least at longer distances (one mile and up). We tended to alternate easier endurance type runs (I guess it would be called Zone 2 now; for me it was probably more like low Z3 as I was generally pushing a little harder to keep up than the guys I trained with) with interval workouts. I'd guess an average day was 5-6 miles total. A very typical interval workout was 6-8 X 800m at 2 mile or 5K race pace, or 3 sets of 800/400/400 (same). Sometimes in the summer we did longer endurance runs, up to 9-10 miles.

My own mileage was a bit higher at times because, unlike many teammates, I usually put in a longer run on Sunday (usually a hilly 10 mile loop) and, for two years, I didn't run track (as a protest, because at the time there was no 2-mile for girls) and instead trained for a half-marathon (freshman year) and marathon (sophomore year). My mileage probably still wasn't all that high--maybe maxed out at 45 or 50, but higher than it would have been when I was focused on 2-mile or cross-country (5K). I feel like my HS coach was really good--he made us work hard, but not "run till we puked" or do ridiculous mileage, and he catered our plans depending on our events, injury history, strengths and weaknesses. His sister was a top master's runner and he also coached her.

I took most of each winter nearly off running--I usually ran just twice a week then, one shorter and one longer, but did a LOT of swimming. I was a distance swimmer on a pretty serious team, and we put in 8000-10,000 yards a day! So definitely there was some cross-training going on! My run coach fully supported this; as I recall, my swim coach was always agitating for me to quit running and swim "full time". No way! (No such thing as junior elite tri back then.) I also swam with a club in the summer.

I do know that I trained more/harder than the other girls on my team, but except for my adventures into marathon-distance races (which was my own idea) in general my training was on a par with most of my rivals for state dominance. That was just what it took to win.

Edited by Hot Runner 2023-05-15 9:55 PM
2023-05-16 6:57 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I was "just other runner" on a good HS cross-country team that I joined my sophomore year (and the also ran track as well for three years).  I think we were probably in the 20 miles a week range, maybe a little more.  To be honest I never really tracked it and just did what the coaches (who were OK in XC, and horrible in track) told us.  I did the 400 / 800 / 300 hurdles (and triple jump LOL) for track meets so anaerobic stuff.

2023-05-18 7:51 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Cypress, Texas

I had a different track coach about every year from age 13-19.  Looking back, the only coach that rubbed me the wrong way was the one that sent us on senseless miles.  One coach did make me puke my guts out but I didn't despise him.  He would send us out on a 5-6 mile run then have us do 3x800 on the track when we got back (1-3 days a week).  They were really hard on me but I respected the coach.  He pushed us but was always very positive and encouraging and he was never unreasonable.  My typical week in high school cross country was the following.  For track it was the same thing only we didn't do morning runs and Thursdays would be more track work rather than an easy day.

Monday - AM 6-7 miles easy, PM 4 miles tempo

Tuesday - 2mi WU, 2 x 1 mile, or 8-x 400m, 1 mi CD

Wednesday - AM 6-7 miles easy, PM 6-7 miles easy

Thursday - 4 miles easy

Friday - 4 miles easy

Saturday - Race 

Sunday - Rest

2023-05-19 12:44 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I see now why I wasn't a very good high school runner.  LOL  That mileage is crazy.

2023-05-19 10:17 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well....For the record, I don't think I ever did 2 a days as a runner. To me that was strictly a swimmer thing. Definitely I never topped 60 mpw in HS, nor did anyone else. 40 would be typical in track and XC season, maybe 50 when doing marathons or half. My boyfriend was one of the top milers in the state and I know he didn't do high mileage. And I was state champion in the 2-mile and top 3 in XC. Maybe the kids run more now--I wouldn't know! I have only coached younger kids (age 8-12), not high school.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Were you a high school runner? Rss Feed