General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athletes over 50 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2023-05-13 5:50 AM

User image

Subject: Athletes over 50
Hi guys,

I have been running for 11 years now and have noticed recently that I have consistent soreness after a run where I really didn't before. It does go away pretty quickly, but immediately following a run I have to move more slowly and I definitely feel it in my legs. I am 52 now. Is this just a normal sign of aging? Is there anything I can do to avoid this, or do I need to suck it up? It's not horrible, but I miss the days when a run was just invigorating, not invigorating with pain mixed in!

2023-05-15 9:39 AM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Athletes over 50

Is it possible something else has changed?  Ankle flexibility that has your feet slapping the pavement or landing on your heel rather than the ball of your foot? 

When was the last time you changed shoes?  Old shoes, or new shoes can make for newfound soreness.  Even if you bought the same shoes you previously used successfully, the company may have changed things on you. 

2023-05-15 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Just turned 60 and I'm running way more than when I turned 50 but, yeah, recovery started taking longer around that age. I think it means lots more attention to maintenance(stretching/core strength/etc) but rolling with the punches when there's an injury that needs time to heal is a part of the game plan, too. Invigorating with some 'pain' mixed in pretty well describes it..

2023-05-15 1:08 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

No, shoes are the same ones I had bought two years ago - I purchase 5 or 6 pairs when I find ones I like at a good price.
My stride hasn't really changed either. But I will continue to think about any other changes that may have happened in the past year or two that could be impacting it. Thank you!
2023-05-15 1:10 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

I have been neglecting my stretching but doing pretty well with core strength. I will start a better stretching regimen and see if that helps. Thanks for the idea and for confirming that part of aging could cause a little more discomfort than before!
2023-05-15 1:58 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I was a member of the Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group for a few years.  There was a lot shared on how the game changes in your 50's, how it changes in your 60's, etc.  It might be worth dig up some of these old mentor groups and skim through them to see what was shared on aging with endurance sports and the advise that was given. 

I don't remember a lot of the tips on "aging with grace" but if you are consistently sore after running you need to make some adjustments.  There are things that you used to do that didn't make you sore when you were younger that will make you sore now.  Recover times are longer, strength training is more important, form is more important, going at too high an intensity will not be as forgiving, etc.  Note: I got my first gray hair at age 37.  I was one of the young guys in the gray guys/girls group.  I haven't hit 50 yet.

2023-05-28 7:28 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

One likely possibility is you need to increase protein consumption.  Even though nutritional guidelines are the same for all adults, we actually need more protein as we age.  I've had athletes over 50 who started struggling with soreness and recovery after training, and it resolved very quickly by increasing protein.  How protein is consumed can make a difference too.  Always try to consume 20+ grams at a time (but no more than 30g).  20 grams gets you over the leucine threshold to promote increased muscle protein synthesis.  Every 3-4 hours throughout the day works best.

Another less likely possibility is your running intensity.  Take a hard look at intensity.  Has the intensity of your easy runs crept up over time?

2023-06-12 12:42 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

54 years old here and have had the same experience - aging sucks. 

There is some great information in Joe Friel's book Fast After 50 . 

2023-09-03 11:15 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

It's likely just advancing age.  DOMS - Delayed onset muscle soreness is a thing for everyone.  Generally speaking, you'll be sore after an especially strenuous workout a couple of hours to several hours after the workout concludes.  That soreness will last a day or two (normally).  Unfortunately, as we get older, the soreness often begins sooner with less strenuous activity and may last a bit longer.  Tending to proper recovery following a workout will help.  That means taking in carbs and protein in a 4/1 ratio following a workout, gentle activity (like walking, an easy swim, etc.) to flush any lactate, and rest.  Chocolate milk generally has that perfect 4/1 carb/protein ratio and is an excellent recovery drink.

Hope that helps.

2023-12-26 12:12 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I'm 52, running 50+ miles per week most weeks.

Three years ago I added in 10 minutes of stretching at night before going to bed. Non-negotiable. This was after close to 30 years of zero stretching. The first 30 days I felt worse.... and then all of a sudden it was amazing.

I now have a 3+ year streak of stretching every night. It has been life-altering. My body feels amazing. I get out of bed and feel great. This was after years of feeling like an 80 year old for the first few minutes every day. I sometimes stretch for 20-30 minutes but always get in at least 10 minutes. Do I still have sore days? Sure. But not many and it is always because I have done a tough session.

The other thing is that I have embraced the 80/20 training protocol. For years my easy days were too hard which meant my hard days were too easy. Now, 5 days a week my runs are at a pedestrian pace, and two days a week, I do hard training. I would highly recommend using some sort of polarized training plan.

The real secret to being/staying fast as you age is to not get injured. And body maintenance is the key to not getting injured
2024-01-23 6:11 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

Been doing this stuff for a LONG time! Getting older has meant being more exhausted after training, but I do recover in 24 hrs. I've been interested to understand why the 'older athlete' just can't bounce back as quickly as we did when young. 

Someone mentioned protein intake which is critical - we become 'nitrogen negative' as we get older, so supplementation is required for sure. (Even to just maintain muscle mass in sedentary people). 

I've found research to point to reducing mitochondria activity (for the nerds - leaks in the electron transfer chain). Not clear on how that may be addressed just yet. My search continues...   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athletes over 50 Rss Feed