The Tyler’s Run Foundation, Inc.
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 29s
Overall Rank = 77/101
Age Group = 225+
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Got up, prepared my bag and had some breakfast. Got to the event and picked up my packet. It was extremely cold. When I took my bike off my bike rack I noticed my brake was rubbing. I loosened it up since I think my rim is out of true. Walked around and looked for my neighbor. Tried to stay warm
Event warmup:

Did some light jogging and stretching
Run
  • 29m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran a nice easy pace. Kept with Jen because this was her first race and she was very nervous. I was laughing part way through it as Jen was starting to freak out about the bike and we were only 1 mile into the run. Felt great on the run once I got warmed up. I was so cold prerace that it took abouta mile to get the feeling back in my hands and feet.
What would you do differently?:

Get a better warm up and nto promise to run with someone
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Felt pretty good here, in and out and grabbed my snack. Only bad thing was my gum fell off my bike while I was taking a bite of my protein bar. Bummer

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 14m 29s
  • 18 miles
  • 14.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Would have liked to see what I could do on my own, but will wait and do this again next year.

Not ride with someone
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Rolled ankle was a killer. Swelled up right away and I hobbled out to the run course. no jogging, had to walk

not roll my bad ankle
Run
  • 35m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was a mother. Had to walk alot at the beginning. Most of the first half was a walk/hobble/slow plodding jog tryign to get my ankle to loosen back up. I felt really tight after rolling the ankle. Once I got it loosened up I was able to job pretty well and finished strong.

not sure
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and gathered my stuff up and left to make it back to soccer game for Logan.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

rolled ankle, running and biking with a friend

Event comments:

Still ahd fun and I think I got Jen hooked so she will do some more races.

Last updated: 2006-10-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:46 | 03.11 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 84/101
Performance: Average
Course: Was a flat out and back on the bike trail at the local state park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:14:29 | 18 miles | 14.50 mile/hr
Overall: 71/101
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2/3 of course was flat and pretty fast, but the middle 1/3 of course was HUGE hills. I rode the first 2/3 of course with my neighbor. She was scared to death of the hills. She had only been riding 2 weeks and had clipless pedals for 1 week. I was bored to tears the first third. We averaged 10 mi/hr on a flat fast section. I really felt like I would have crushed this course if nto waiting on her, but I promised to stick with her through the hills. It took me 5 miles to convince her to get out of the hill gear. Then came the hills. For how little she had ridden she did OK, btu at one point we were riding upa hill with me in front. I am almost to the top and I hear the painful "OH". She had her first wreck when she ran off the road. She was laying there still in her pedals and could not get up. I hopped off my biked and ran down and helped her up. Then we were back on out way. I would get to the top and have to wait on her. Having ridden the course a few times I tried to talk her into pumping down the hill to carry some speed into the uphill. I did this and it worked great. She was not ready for it so I hung with her until the top of the last hill and I took off. On the last 1/3 of the course I tried to make up some time. I averaged 24 on the back 1/3 bringing my avg upa little but at this point there was not much I could have done. I make it to the transition and dismount and POW, roll my ankle that I stretched ligaments in two weeks before. I tried to get up and hobble over to my rack. It hurt so bad. wah wah wah
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:35:00 | 03.11 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Overall: 82/101
Performance: Bad
Course: same as first leg
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-17 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Subject: Tyler's Run

2006-10-17 12:01 PM
in reply to: #570672

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Tyler's Run

Good job on the race!  It was really nice of you to stay with your friend.  Sometimes it's so hard to do.

Sorry to hear that you re-injured yourself during the race.  How is your ankle feeling today?  Are you going to miss any training?  It sounds really painful.  

2006-10-17 7:10 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Sorry to hear about the injury. I must say that Jockstrapping in a race is huge for the first timmers. I had some help this weekend on my first mary and it was HUGE! Glad you had fun.
2006-10-18 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

That was really cool of you to do the race along side someone new.  But yikes!  Take care of that ankle.  Just hearing about you rolling it again gives me the willies. 

Congrats on finishing the race and getting someone else hooked on multisport races.     

2006-10-21 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
You had some really good races this year.  It was awesome of you to stay with your friend and get her  "hooked".  You'll have lots more races when you can push yourself harder.  Great race!

Take it easy on that ankle!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tyler's Run Rss Feed