UK Triathlon Forum England » UK BTers...how many of us are there out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-09-25 4:50 AM
in reply to: #2421405

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
Subject: RE: UK BTers...how many of us are there out there?
Hi Bob the Trier,

Noticed in your sig that you are signed up for the Roade Sprint this weekend.
Since I'm going to be in the area, if time permits, I was thinking of popping by to watch (as I'm hoping to give it a go next year).

Even if I don't make it, good luck

2009-09-25 5:00 AM
in reply to: #603913

Hi guys & gals,

I finished the Men's Fitness Rough Track Triathlon last weekend at Lake Dorney...

Was incredibly tough, but I feel so good to have finished it!!! (Even coming 110th out of 118 )

Bring on next season!
2009-09-25 5:04 AM
in reply to: #2425696

User image

Veteran
Milton Keynes, UK
sicone - 2009-09-25 10:50 AM Hi Bob the Trier,

Noticed in your sig that you are signed up for the Roade Sprint this weekend.
Since I'm going to be in the area, if time permits, I was thinking of popping by to watch (as I'm hoping to give it a go next year).

Even if I don't make it, good luck

Hi sicone,

Thanks for the message. I am going to that one, I'm bib number 325 in case you do make it, unfortuantely I came off my bike last night and have some decent road rash which I will be uploading a picture of on the main triathlon talk forum shortly!

They've shortened the run course slightly which is good for me as it's my weakest of the three so I'm really hoping for my best result of the year so far!

Could be an uncomfortable hour or so though with the road rash!

Rob
2009-10-04 2:44 PM

User image

New user

new one here also, located near reading.......
2009-10-17 3:53 PM

New user

Christchurch, U.K.
New BT'er here, if a little aged. From a running back ground, but due to injuries and disillusionment with the sport, have not raced for a few years now. But have wanted to have a go a Triathlon for a while. The hunger is now back, even if the fitness isn't !!!
  Hoping to have a good winter training period , ready to have a go at a sprint early next year, and then see how it goes from there.
 Christchurch/ Bournemouth, Dorset, based.
2009-10-30 12:35 PM

New user

Eastbourne, Sussex

Maybe this should be refined to age group. Another old BTer here. Decided in July (after standing on the scales at 15.5 stones) that I needed a change of lifestyle to motivate fitness and weight reduction. First target was a Try a tri (Ringmer) and then a Novice Tri (Crawley). Now I'm really upset the season is over!!.

I guess the problem is that there seems to be too much advice, what works well for some doesn't necessarily suit everyone. At least when the new season starts I will only have been 2 months into my new age group (60-65).

So my plan is to halve my 5k run time (from a staggering 33 minutes), be able to swim 500m in one go (without hanging on to the side of the pool, and each end) and go up a hill without stopping for oxygen on the bike.

Bit of a way to go then. But at least I am well motivated.

2009-10-30 2:00 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by CHR15 TREE 2009-10-30 2:01 PM
2009-10-30 5:30 PM

New user

Eastbourne, Sussex

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply and the link, appreciate it.

Had to feel sorry for those competitors, the weather was hideous, one of the few horid days down on the coast this year. Hat off to them though it is a very tough event.

A question for anyone that cares to respond. Specificity: train for each event, presumably this means if the events one chooses are all 500m swims, 20k and 5k runs, should the training even at this time of year reflect those distances. No point in swimming 100m sessions or 2000m if all races will be 500m. Same with the bike, if all events are 20k why do 50k training sessions. Same again with the run, if 5k is the chosen distance why train on 10k's?

Maybe specificity is not a priority at this time of year. Some guidance would be helpful though.

Bob

2009-11-15 2:46 PM

New to both the forum and the sport. Following my life policy of 'in at the deep end' I've signed up for IMFL next year. Started base training in the last couple of weeks, in and around homebase of Leeds
2009-12-09 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2514824

Regular
Liverpool, England
alynm - 2009-11-15 8:46 PM

New to both the forum and the sport. Following my life policy of 'in at the deep end' I've signed up for IMFL next year. Started base training in the last couple of weeks, in and around homebase of Leeds

Hi alynm - I too am signed up for IMFL. Have you been onto the official IMFL thread on this site? Lots of helpful info over there. If you need any help though, then just shout, although I've only done 1 Ironman so far. Did IMKY this year. Fantastic experience.

Hello everyone else. Have been on this site for a few years now, mainly lurking. Don't think I've posted in the UK thread before, but it's good to see a few more Brits appearing on the site.
2010-01-02 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2514824

London, England
Hi from just up the road!
You entered any local running races in preparation for IM? I got half marathons i York and Baildon coming up, plus a 10k in Ripon.

2010-01-09 5:32 PM

Heyup everyone, I'm Dan from Derby, I'm studying Anthropology in Canterbury and I'm gonna run the Derby sprint triathlon this year.

Anybody else looking at this event? Or from Derby/Canterbury?

2010-01-13 5:31 AM

hi there, I'm from Manchester and only relatively new to tri's being a track sprinter at the velodrome i have decided to see what it's like on the enjoyment side of sport! I have done a couple of novice tri's a couple of years ago but now i'm a bit more focussed! would be good to get together at a race and provide support for all the b.t. uk'ers.
2010-01-13 8:23 AM

Hi all, I am Julia from Brighton, 30 years old, 5"11 14.5 stone. New to Tri's and this forum, new to running too! Training to lose weight then hoping to do my first ever Tri next year but depends on how quickly I can reach my goal.
I belong to a good gym, cycle to work most days 10.3 flat miles and not a great swimmer at all,  but I am very stubborn and determined so I will do this! Gave up smoking 15 months ago which was brilliant and I have recently been diagnosed with a type of SVT heart arrithmia which I had since a teen but has got worse. i am going to have an operation to sort it out at some point but being on beta blockers I was wondering if this would affect my heart rate monitoring for fitness?

Anyway, looking forward to getting better and better and maybe see some of you for my first tri!!
2010-01-13 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2611260

Regular
Essex, England
Hey Julia,
love the inspiration to yourself. I am sure you will achieve your goals in 2010 and good luck with the triathlons. Its a great way to lose weight as doing all 3 sports stops it getting boring.
2010-01-13 1:37 PM

Hello Pashda! Thanks very much for your reply!

2010-01-27 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2588895

Regular
Liverpool, England
po - 2010-01-02 1:46 PM

Hi from just up the road!
You entered any local running races in preparation for IM? I got half marathons i York and Baildon coming up, plus a 10k in Ripon.

Hi Po,

Have got a couple of races lined up: Liverpool Womens 10km in May and I'll probably do the 10km Tunnel run at the end of May.

Also doing the Liverpool Tri - Olympic distance and the Trentham Half.
2010-05-04 5:31 AM

New user

Hi there im new to both Bt and tri its self, if anyone has any pointers to help me along it would be great.
2010-05-05 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2835146

Regular
Essex, England
Hi edbrennan73,
welcome to the world of triathlon. Tell us about yourself and what you are hoping to achieve and we may be able to give you tips relevant to you. I will take it you are new to all 3 sports.
Basic stuff I would say for your first race keep it short and simple as possible. ie sign up for a sprint race maybe 20 weeks away and follow a training plan from BT so you are ready. Borrow as much stuff as you can until you are sure you want to carry on with triathlons as it is easy to spend a lot of cash. Ideally you want to get a pair of jammers to swim in and of course goggles. A good quality pair of trainers that are suitable to your running style are essential, it is best to go to a running shop where they can do gait analysis for you to identify how you run.
Any bike will do it doesn't have to be expensive or a race bike. Loads of people use their mountain bikes and do fine. I borrowed a friends race bike for my first race. You will need a helmet to race.
That will see you through a race that is pool swim. you can throw a shirt on over your swimmers in transition and cycle in your trainers as well as running in them.
Good luck and enjoy yourself
Dave
2010-06-29 5:30 PM

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
A big hi to all Uk tri fans. im in my first year of doing tri's and really enjoying it so far. its not always easy to fit some form of training in most days.

so far this year i broke my cherry at the Uckfield sprint tri. Great starter event with a tough little ride
Have since done Stratford, Shiplake college and Henley on thames.

it would be great to get a regular thread going of UK participants
2010-06-30 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2951689

Regular
Essex, England
Hi MAC glad you are having fun. strange sport triathlon, everyone seems to think maybe just do one to say I have done it and next minute you have bought a wetsuit, new bike and loads of other kit you never knew existed. A regular thread sounds like a good idea to me.
I am not racing much this year, I did Sevenoaks sprint in April, have Eastern region relays on 11th July and then Vitruvian in September.

cheers

2010-06-30 5:23 PM

New user

Hi my name is Sam 31 years old and new to the sport from Bristol. Signed up for my first sprint tri on the 29th August so working my way through a 11 week program. Would love to chat with other british BTers for training tips and stuff.
2010-07-01 4:19 AM
in reply to: #2953234

2010-07-01 4:19 AM
in reply to: #2954378

2010-07-01 10:29 AM

Hi all. only just found this part of the BT website. Im 38 and live in devon and have done sprint and standard tris. Have done 1 half IM and have just come home from doing IM france in 11hrs 46min. Well chuffed, if tired.
New Thread
UK Triathlon Forum England » UK BTers...how many of us are there out there? Rss Feed  

of 7