Lakes Area Running Club
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 29s
Overall Rank = 225/
Age Group = 36
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Since it was an afternoon race, I slept in until 8 this morning. Spend the morning doing nothing and by 10:30 I was getting pretty squirrelly. I had an atypical prerace meal of a roast beef sandwich with chips. Try doing that at 3:30am before a triathlon :)

Got to the race site 2 hours early and got a good parking spot. I had never been to this or any other running race before so I was not sure what to bring in or where to store stuff so I showed up in running attire and threw sweats over the top. Let my shoes in the car for a while and opted to walk around in my mocs just to see what was going on.

There were a lot of people in running club attire, but the atmosphere was not intense at all. People were bringing lots of snacks for their groups and generally having a grand old time. I walked around for a while meeting a few people here and there and eventually ran into the Fleet Feet group from Madison. Hung around with them for a while and decided to finish the final leg of my pre-race quest: find Irish Peter. Actually, it proved very easy to find a tall guy with a Cookie Monster bike jersey! 15 minutes before the race start I shed the sweats and headed to the starting area feeling very relaxed. This was an odd, crazy, and very fun bunch of people. The day promised to be entertaining!
Event warmup:

Did a little light jog to the start area and back to registration. When it was time to head out for real, I walked/jogged back to the start line. Listened to the National Anthem being played by an entertaining trumpeter.
Run
  • 40m 29s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a bit nervous about coming back up the start hill but figured I would deal with that when the time came. It felt good starting out downhill; helped to get the legs moving. I will preface this by saying that I thought I was running just a little bit faster than my normal long run training speed. I had turned the music on to help pass the time and provide a little motivation. The first 10 minutes I was a little short of breath, but not bad. I chalked it up to first time experience running with a group of 500+ of your closest friends and it takes me about 10 minutes to find anything resembling a consistent pace. They told us that the turnaround was a little less than half way through the race so I didn't really bother trying to figure out my pace at that point. On the return trip, I finally realized that they had mile markers set up. I was still feeling a little shorter of breath than normal, but focused on mechanics. I must be doing something out of the ordinary. Focus on your stride, dork. As I passed the 3 mile marker, I looked at my watch: 24 minutes and some odd seconds. The mile markers must be wrong. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. I know when I get back to the hill, its not much further. Finally, I rounded the corner to see the bottom of the hill. Most people were still running up it, with only a couple of people walking. I flashed back to the Lake Geneva tri from August: the Killer Hill. This was no killer hill and I was NOT about to walk up or even slow down. "It's only a 5 mile run" I kept telling myself. "You can do this in your sleep." I'm running up this hill behind 2 ladies who are running side by side. Their pace slowed down a little but I figured that I had less than a mile to go: push it you wimp. I pass them on the right and start pumping my arms like I have read. I feel the quads heating up a little bit and use it a challenge to push harder. Finally, the top of the hill! Doh! It keeps going a little more, after a turn to the left! No worries, I can see the top of this last little bit. Push! Less than 1/2 mile to go! I look at my watch. Ah crud, I must have bumped it or something, the time doesn't look right. Doesn't matter now, I'm almost at the end. I keep pushing through the last flat bit of the course toward the finish line. The crowd of finished runners is getting thicker, I must be close. Finally, the finish line is in sight. For the past 20 minutes I have had the HR monitor on to try to figure out what my max HR is and my current HR is 173. I don't think I have ever had my heart beating this fast. Guess my watch AND the HR monitor are going crazy. Here it is, the finish line, and they have a clock set up. I cross the finish line and it says 40:29. I look at my watch and it says the same. Guess the only thing going crazy was me.
What would you do differently?:

Probably nothing except trust the electronic gadgetry that I am wearing. I not only set a personal record, but I CRUSHED my previous best 5 mile time set on a flat course!
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down consisted of congratulating some of the people that I had met before the race, then heading into the building for fluids. The first fluid: peppermint schnapps. Second one also. Figured this was a great way to get a carbo recharge. Sucked down a cup of water and then grabbed a beer (or 4).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Short legs and too many pounds. The fact that I was not aware of how fast I was going probably actually helped me go faster!

Event comments:

This is an awesome event. The run is just an excuse for a great party afterward. I will definately do this one again next year, but I will break the 8 min/mile barrier next time!

Last updated: 2007-01-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:29 | 05 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 225/
Performance: Good
Max HR at finish was 175, average for last 20 minutes was 170.
Course: The course was an out-and back. Mostly flatish with a moderate downhill at the beginning, then flat for the first couple of miles, with a mild uphill to the turnaround. Reverse that description for the return trip. The finish was about a half mile past the start.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-01-06 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Subject: S-No-W Fun Run

2007-01-07 8:06 AM
in reply to: #645065

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: S-No-W Fun Run
Well Done Todd - Sounds like the race was a lot of fun...

Roast Beef Snadwich and Chips for pre-race meal!!! and you still managed to do a PR......Interesting 8-)

Cheers

JG
2007-01-07 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great race and a PR on a hilly course, nice job.  I wish more races played  National Anthem  before the start.
2007-01-07 10:24 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
You found him! Yay! Did you tell him hello!??! He's one of my best buddies!

You did so well. Congratulations!

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2007-01-09 9:56 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Congrats on a fantastic race.  Great job!
2007-01-09 10:26 AM

Nice job!  Maybe that roast beef should become your standard pre-race meal.  Definitely looks like you'll break 8 minute miles the next time around.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » S-No-W Fun Run Rss Feed