General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Effect Snowshoe Festival - Lake Effect Duathl Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Effect Snowshoe Festival - Lake Effect Duathl - DuathlonWinter

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Webster, New York
United States
Yellow Jacket Racing
20'sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 08m 42s
Overall Rank = 18/28
Age Group = Female
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Race didn't start until 1 pm, so I had a busy day up to the race.
My attire: 2 pairs of running pants, knee length merino wool skiing socks, Nike low-top trail shoes, gators to prevent snow from getting in my shoes (worked great!), running gloves, ear warmer band, balaclava around my neck, t-shirt, 1/2 zip fleece shirt, fleece vest, and then my first predicament started - do I wear any more than that? I had 2 jackets packed, and decided to wear one of them for the first 2 mile run.
Event warmup:

I got to the event way earlier than I needed to. Because there were so few participants, less time was needed to find things, organize myself, etc... I ended up sitting in the car to warm up and listen to music for 10 minutes.

Jogged around in my snowshoes and did some, but very limited, stretching. I thought I had pulled my hamstring with one stretch. The weather was so cold it effected my muscles in a way that I was afraid to stretch, and I wasn't going to get "warmed up" enough to make it safer. That was the least of my problems!
Run
  • 17m 51s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out WAY TO FAST on the run!!! Very accidentally, I found myself in the front pack at the start, and by the time I realized I really needed to slow down, the trail became narrow and I was desperately trying to keep up with people in front so the people behind me wouldn't get PO'd or step on my shoes. I finally found a place to get over to the side so a couple of guys could pass me. I had to slide over a few times to let guys pass throughout the race. Pretty soon into the course we came to the first creek crossing ('crik' as we Hoosiers like to say!). Now, my history with creeks and gracefully leaping over them is not good. As soon as I saw it I was a bit nervous. It was much wider and deeper than the race directors let on. I ended up with a wet left foot. I thought the volunteer on the other side was there to help us up so I reached for his hand. I think I surprised him! He was way off to the side and out of reach the 2nd time I came through! About 1/3 into the run I realized that I was so flippin' HOT! I should not have worn that extra jacket. I was MISERABLE HOT! I finally pulled the sleeves off and tied it around my waist. About 3/4 into the run I realized that "Gee, Kameron, you still have a 6 mile bike and then another 2 mile run ahead of you. You better pace yourself a bit missy!" I was running like I was in a 5K. Dummy...
What would you do differently?:

Not started out so darn fast, not worn the jacket, learn how to leap over creeks, paced myself better for a multi-sport event.
Oh yeah, trained in snowshoes!
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

This went pretty well really. I got the snowshoes off easily and tried to set them up so they would be easy to put on when I got back. Then I threw off my ear warmer, pulled up my balaclava, put my helmet on, threw on my 2nd jacket, put on my wool mittens over my running gloves, grabbed my bike and I was off!

I felt that I was taking a little more time than I wanted to, but I also stopped somewhere in my transition to take a long drink of water, which was very necessary.
Not put on the wool mittens right away, and not pulled the balaclava over my mouth yet.
Bike
  • 29m 16s
  • 6 miles
  • 12.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I really felt pretty good throughout the bike portion. I think I can tell that I'm getting stronger. That's not to say I wasn't kind of dying! I was huffing and puffing most of the way, but my legs felt stronger.
I got passed by a few people, of course. But I actually passed a guy, so I was happy with that! The roads were wet, but I never felt out of control. We passed through one neighborhood where the streets hadn't been plowed or salted recently, so that slowed things down a good bit. I got confident enough where I felt OK pushing it downhill, but I was over-careful on turns. Traffic was minimal.
At the beginning I was very hot - left over from the first 2 mile run. So pretty quickly into it I pulled off my mittens and stuffed them in my pockets, and pulled my face warmer down under my chin.
About 2/3 of the way through I was cold again, so redid everything. Got wool stuck between my teeth pulling my mittens on! blecchh!!
I don't have cages on my mtn. bike pedals so my feet slipped once or twice. Not too bad, though.

Pretty pleased overall, but I shouldn't have bundled up right away.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

This transition went smoothly. Threw off helmet and balaclava and got snowshoes back on quickly. As I was taking a big drink of water I heard someone yell "Kameron!" It was hubby and the kids! They got there just in time!
Waving at the family got me distracted enough that I forgot where I was supposed to exit and run off to. A quick yell of "which way?!?!?" and I had enough people pointing me in the right direction!

Remember where to run next!
Run
  • 18m 37s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Once I took off and the excitement of seeing my family died off (about 10 seconds) I realized how uncooperative my legs wanted to be. I was miserable. It was all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. I never stopped to walk, though!! But by golly I wanted to. I wanted to turn back around to the transition area and call it a day. The initial transition weariness wore off after a few minutes, but I was just so tired. And my feet were really starting to hurt in the snowshoes. Something underneath the balls of my feet was cutting into my foot. I cleared the first creek passing like an old pro! I was very proud of that. I regained a bit of energy for a little bit, but it just seemed like there was one uphill after another. The downhills were breaks for my legs. The snowshoes were great for the hills, though! You could never run up and down snow covered hills as easily in running shoes. I saw very few competitors on this portion of the race. I just imagined they were all behind me and that I better hurry up cuz they were going to catch me any second! That's how I made it through. You know something else crazy my mind tends to do to get me through times like this when I'm torturing myself is that I have a word in my head and I end up making up a little song that spells out that word and I just keep repeating it... I know I'm a freak. on the bike it was the name of a street I passed. I can't remember what it was on the run.

Oh, just train more. Not just in snowshoes, but I've definitely lost a lot of my running conditioning. Run more hills too!
Post race
Warm down:

Rested my head on Rob's shoulder...

Oh yeah, I was third female finisher (but, out of 5 females total!) All day I thought only 4 females participated, so I was happy when I saw a 5th on the results. I can't believe that few girls participated! I came home with a very girlie piece of hardware too - a snowflake suncatcher. I actually like it a lot and hope the guys have wives they can give theirs too!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Do I need to say it again? :)

Event comments:

A little surprised at how few people turned out for the events. But I think there was a freezaroo race at Powder Mills today so that may have cut into the participation. It was a good course. I really enjoy trail running. I need to do more of it!

Last updated: 2007-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:51 | 02 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 11/28
Performance: Below average
Course: A hilly trail run in snowshoes. 2 creek crossings, probably a dozen fallen trees to leap over, and most of the trail was narrow. Some parts were very twisty and turny. It was a serious trail run!
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:29:16 | 06 miles | 12.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 19/28
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The best news I got all day was that they changed the bike portion to 6 miles for everyone! There were 2 options, and I, stupidly, had signed up for the 12 mile one. But due to the conditions of the roads and the weather, they made everyone bike the shorter distance. YES!! It wasn't so bad, but there were rolling hills, some steep, throughout the course, and it was wet throughout and snowy on some parts.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:18:37 | 02 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 13/28
Performance: Average
Course: Same course. Trail much more packed down from the first segment of racers.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-01-29 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Lake Effect Snowshoe Festival - Lake Effect Duathl

2007-01-29 1:11 PM
in reply to: #671324

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Lake Effect Snowshoe Festival - Lake Effect Duathl
Great job, "Missy"!! Looks like you had fun overall. Sorry about getting your foot wet in the crik.

Hope your cold goes away soon.
2007-01-29 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

Great JOB!!  Let's do it next year.  I'm going to.  Maybe that Ridgelake could be ready.

What's up with this:  "But I actually passed a guy, so I was happy with that!"   

2007-01-29 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Great job on the race. You did wonderfully.
2007-01-30 3:30 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Nice job Kam! Way to get out there and try something new!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Effect Snowshoe Festival - Lake Effect Duathl Rss Feed