USAT
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 15s
Overall Rank = 274/505
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 am. Breakfast was 1 cup of yogurt with sliced banana and small amount of granola (<1/4 c). Double checked transition bag, cooler of goodies for kids, pack the van. Everyone was out of the house by 4:50.
Event warmup:

Short bike ride. It would've been longer except I had a flat rear tire when I got there..yikes! Good thing I checked !
Swim
  • 32m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

First leg I could hardly get my face into the water. It didn't feel particularly cold b/c the water was so much warmer than the air was, but not being able to see the bottom was unnerving. The sheer number of people was unsettling too. After I rounded the first buoy I felt much clamer and settled into my stroke. I actually got comfortable and almost forgot I was suposed to be racing! I picked up the pace on the third leg but paid for it with poorer navigation...plus the sun was rising right into our eyes. Overall I was very pleased with my swim, I was much faster than I thought I would be.
What would you do differently?:

Practice navigation. Try to get out into the deeper water more frequently so I don't get freaked out at first (I think this will just come with practice though).
Transition 1
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

Since it was my first race, I took my time a little on t1 to make sure I didn't miss anything.

We were stopped to mount the bikes, so jumping on the bike (if I understand the question right) wasn't allowed.

More bodyglide/PAM (LOTS) on my ankles. Better organization of equipment (like setting my shirt so it goes on the right way the first time!) Learn how to put shoes on while riding would be good.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 8s
  • 40 kms
  • 30.72 km/hr
Comments:

I was pretty pleased with my performance on the bike. I drank what I planned to (1 jug of Acclerade/Gatorade mix) and 3 shots of hammergel...beginning middle and end. It was too much, but more on that in the run segment...

I was very careful to obey the drafting rules since I didn't want a penalty. Judging by other's actions though, I may have been too conservative on this.

All of the hill training I've done really paid off, as most of the folks I passed were on uphills, and they felt so easy to me.

I have to change my hydration plan to something more stomach friendly. Otherwise, nothing really, the bike was the most "fun" of the race, for sure!
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Left running shoe stuck just a little going on.

Nothing really, except learn how to get out of my bike shoes while on the bike.
Run
  • 55m 6s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 31s  min/km
Comments:

This is where I fell down, although I didn't do as badly as I thought I was doing while I ran. My stomach cramped BADLY and my asthma kicked in a little too, although my big limiter was the stomach cramps. I couldn't really get any water or anything down. I did use gel once (chased with water of course) because my energy was waning fast and I figured as cramped as I was I probably didn't have much to lose. Overall I am very unhappy with my run, it should have been several minutes faster.

I have to come up with a different drink for the bike, It think this is what cramped up my stomach. Although what I used has worked in training, it apparently doesn't stand up to the higher intensity of racing. I had noticed minor problems before now too, the same in all but severity. Also, I need to learn the course better beforehand (although I thought I did know it) as my pacing was way off.
Post race
Warm down:

Striaght to the portojohn thanks to the stomach cramps.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again, stomach cramps and asthma.

Event comments:

I didn't see many aid stations/portojohns on the bike, but I was very focused on the race and could have missed them. I thought they could have used one more water station on the run.

Last updated: 2004-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:18 | 1640 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/505
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: triangular course w/right turns, toward center of the lake. Bouys were plentiful and visible. LOTS of lifeguards and race officials, so I felt quite safe.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:08 | 40 kms | 30.72 km/hr
Overall: 9/505
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was mostly flat, just a few small hills (mostly overpasses). I've ridden most of these roads before so I was familiar with the area. There was lots of police/volunteers directing traffic, which was nice. Cars were not an issue at all. They completely closed Hy 165, which was REALLY GREAT since that's where the entry/exit to the park is.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:06 | 10 kms | 05m 31s  min/km
Overall: 20/505
Performance: Below average
Course: flat, once around the lake, then back out onto the road, then back around the lake again. I thought the course was just a little confusing, the spring/supersprint/int'l courses all overlapped. At one point I had to ask a volunteer which way to go. Also, the mile markers were at the end of each mile, and I thought they were at the begining...of course, going to a course talk may have helped alleviate my confusion.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-08-17 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon

2004-08-17 12:24 PM
in reply to: #49151

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon
Awesome job Cindy! 
2004-08-17 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Great job...consistent splits...well done

d
2004-08-17 1:16 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Inspirational! Hopefully I can post an equally awesome report after Chicago. It's alot to take on, with an Olympic as your first race... EVER....You did great. Hope your stomach feels better.

I had heard this was a pretty well organized race. I may see you there next year!

Rock on! LW

2004-08-17 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Terrific job Cindy!! You handled your challenges like a pro! Great race.
2004-08-17 5:44 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Wow, I didn't know people could actually reply to race reports...thanx for the inspiration!

LW, it would be awesome to see you there next year, we'll have to hook up! I got to meet rookie44 there, which was totally cool.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon Rss Feed