United States
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 28s
Overall Rank = /30
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, shovled the driveway. Had a breakfast of Cheerios. Had planned to run to the race from home, but the question of road conditions had me drive to the race site.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site early as planned. Headed out to DK's BF's house 2.2 miles away to run her to the race :) Got there and she was just finishing getting ready! Perfect timming. We ran back in the slush and had a chance to do the ever famous OTR prerace ritual... GASBAG! Actualy knew anouther runner at the race. Guess I am gettin out enough :)
Run
  • 29m 28s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I say average on keeping cool, because it was more of an issue of keeping warm :) I was just a tad overdressed, but that is why I love hoods! Start out cold, and end just a tad hot. First mile was great 8.50, not bad since my running this week sucked due to doing none. Got passed by DK at mile one, and just kept slowly loosing ground. She had a great, and very consitent run. Mile 2 yeilded a 9.09, followed by a 9.56 for mile 3. Only got passed by 3 women ( yes the field was small, but it felt good to keep them as the only passes). As I hit the 3 mile mark I could hear someone comming up on me. It was the Masters lady I had met before the race. I took a look back and said " your not going to make me race you to the line are you?" She just smiled and pushed the pace. I realy needed that kick in the arse. I had not pushed so hard at the end of a run in a long time.
What would you do differently?:

Lets see, where should I start. No snow, sleep latter and stay in bed :) Otherwise it was a great experience and an excuse to get out for a longer run, including the warm up.
Post race
Warm down:

they had cups of water out of the back of an SUV for a quick drink (race fee was 50 cents, so what do you expect) :). Bumped into anouther runner from the local tri club (she saw my tri socks from the club) :) We chatted a bit and I took DK home. Since my wife was still dealing with the aftermath of 4 guests (3 girls for my daughter and one boy for my son) sleep over, I decided it was best to get home and lend a hand getting things back in order.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep (was up until 10:30 with the girls, trying to get them to bed), snow, lack of training at race pace, weight.... oh did I say, I do not realy car how well I did. I just want to have fun, and it is such a nice change to run with other people once in awhile.

Event comments:

This race is a part of a 7/8 race series run in Jan and Feb. First 7 races are official part of the series. The last race is a partner race, where the times are combined for a total score. Wish I had known about it 5 weeks ago :) I will see if I can go again next weekend. Heck what better can you ask for. A race 3.3 miles from home you can run to and from if you want, great group of people, and a race fee to be envied. Apparently at the end of the season they all go down to a local breakfast joint and take over the counter for a post series "party". Just too cool.

Last updated: 2007-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:28 | 03.2 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/30
Performance: Average
Course: Quite flat, left hand loop on a bunch of side roads. The road condisions on the heavier traveled roads was decend, secondary were pretty packed with snow. I felt realy good after the warm up and decieded to go out at race speeds and let what happened happen.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-03 2:22 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Fudgcicle 5k Race Series (#5)

2007-02-03 6:25 PM
in reply to: #678184

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Fudgcicle 5k Race Series (#5)
GREAT JOb Joe
2007-02-04 7:21 AM

User image

Pro
MA
It was a fn race. I'll be away the last 2 weekends of Feb.  Let's see what we can do next week.
2007-02-04 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Nice job Joe & DK too...!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fudgcicle 5k Race Series (#5) Rss Feed