Surge Sports
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 30m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Cat V
Age Group Rank = 57/65
Pre-race routine:

My start time was not until 9:51 so I was able to "sleep in". Stopped at Starbucks on the way over to Hiram (about a 75 minute drive from Cumming) and had my standard Americano and baked goodie. I have not been riding AT ALL as I have been training for the Sarasota Marathon in two weeks. I also bought a new bike (QR Seduza) about 6 weeks ago and I rode it once on the trainer. With that being said, this sounded like fun and, if nothing else, it would give me an idea of my current bike fitness level. Once I am done with the marathon I started training for Florida 70.3.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the event and parked in the church parking lot. Set my trainer up and bundled up because it was CCCCCOOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDDD. Put my headphones on and set out to spin for 10 minutes. The guy next to me was spinning as well. He got off and started to pack up and head over to the race start. I asked when his start time was and he said 9:50 (1 minute before me). I looked at the clock in my car and realize I had about 4 minutes until my start time - panic sets in.

I get my bike off the trainer and throw the trainer in the car. I forgot my tire pump but I figured I could borrow one. As I said, I bought the bike about 6 weeks ago and never put air in the tires. No time now. I quickly pin my number on my back on my outer layer and I rush over to the start. They are lining everyone up and they keep shouting a number. Well, my number is on my back and I can't see it. I ask someone if they are calling my number and they say yes. I rush up to the front and I am now the next one off. Geesh!

I look down at my tires and they are noticebly low on air. Just great! A time trial with very little air in my tires. Before I know it I am heading up the ramp and someone is holding my bike and the starter is counting down 5 .. 4 .. 3 .. 2 .. 1 and I am off.
Bike
  • 30m 10s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 18.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I head out and I really had intentions of averaging 21 MPH. My last tri in the fall was a sprint with a rolling 14 mile bike leg in which I averaged 20 MPH. I knew I was not in riding shape but I thought that a) my marathon training would provide a good level of endurance, b) the course is relatively flat, and c) I was on a new and much FASTER bike. Well, needless to say, I was WAY off. I am sure that my deflated tires cost me some time and I wish I knew how much time. I knew I would be out there for 25+ minutes so I was trying to exert the same amount of energy as a 5K race. That worked pretty well as I finished and had very little gas left in the tank. Also, I dressed warm and was not cold at all. In fact, I managed to build up a pretty good sweat - which made me cold afterwards. Also, I managed to pin my number on the wrong side of my outer layer. I heard the guy at the turnaround and another guy at the finish yell out "I can't read his number - did anyone see his number". Both men had somewhat of an irritated tone to their voice and I still think runners are nicer people than roadies.
What would you do differently?:

Well, it is pretty obvious that a) I would get to the race much earlier, b) I would make sure that my tires were inflated properly, and c) I would actually train for the event. It goes without saying that I should be able to set a PR next year ;-)
Post race
Warm down:

As I mentioned above, I had my number pinned on the wrong side so I slowed down right after the finish and walked my bike back to the finish line to make sure they got my number. I told the guy "that's the last time I let my wife pin my number on my back". It was a feable attempt to save some level of pride - I think the team at the finish line saw thru it though!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tires and lack of training!

Last updated: 2007-02-19 12:00 AM
Biking
00:30:10 | 9.5 miles | 18.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/65
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back. Very deceptive as there were times that I was struggling to keep my speed up but it appeared that I was on level terrain. Other times I was riding effortlessly and, again, it seemed flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-02-19 8:58 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Tundra Time Trial

2007-02-19 11:47 AM
in reply to: #695328

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Tundra Time Trial

Way to get out there and get after it.  You should've let us know you were racing - the more (freezing) BT'ers, the merrier!

2007-02-19 12:41 PM
in reply to: #695594

User image

New user
You're right - I checked the forum the night before and saw that people were gathering but I never resonded. Next time for sure!

Chris
2007-02-19 1:19 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Good job getting out there and racing.  Having fun is the most important part.  Great race!!!
2007-02-19 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
nice job on the race- the freezing cold and wind must have been very challenging. Nice job getting to the start line in a hurry!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tundra Time Trial Rss Feed