Dallas Athletes
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 12s
Overall Rank = 38/287
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/33
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15. Decided against the prerace shower since Houston was sleeping in the room next to the bathroom. Just got dressed while munching the usual Oatmeal Raisin Clif Bar. Everything was already in the van except for the bikes. Got them loaded up no problem, then went to the store for a bottle of water to fill my Aerodrink.

Temp said 40. Yikes. Shannon's parents lived about 2 miles away from the transition area, so it was a quick drive. Not a lot of time to worry about the weather.

Got there about 5:50, plenty of parking spots at that time. Got marked up and found a primo spot on the end of the rack. Took my time getting everything set up right. By that time plenty of BTers were showing up. Besides me and Shannon (swatson), there was Steve (sblack), Steve (doughboy), Marcy (dodgersmom), Laurie (tri_it_cajun_style), Kirk (markquiet), Jim (texoma), and some friends from north of the Red River - Danny (dww2) and Gino (gino2u). Then jockstrapping were Aaron (jeepfleeb), Chris (camy), and Kenny (tent96).

Spent several minutes outside laughing about how cold it was going to be, then went inside to the pool where it was nice and warm.
Event warmup:

Did a lap and a half in the pool, then walked outside to see how cold it was going to be. Yowza. Not cool.

Quick trip to the bathroom, then in line. Saw Danny jump in and immediately lose his chip strap. Yikes. Luckily somebody found it and put it in his running shoe. Sucked down a gel, BSed a bit with the folks in line. Got my goggles in once it was getting close. Heard someone yell my name (Laurie I think). Gave a quick "I hear you" gesture, and then it was go time.
Swim
  • 06m 2s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I always have a problem with going out too fast. I made myself go slow the first 50m and get into a good rhythm. On the way back I passed my first swimmer. Still trying to stay relaxed, I passed 2 more by 150. Got into a lull at 200m, with nobody to pass, then I got passed myself. Passed 2 more people the last 100, catching the draft of the person who had just passed me.
What would you do differently?:

May have started out too slow, but I stayed relaxed the whole time and never felt like I was going too hard.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Holy cow was it cold! Debated on whether or not to wear socks. Decided against it even though it meant cold feet. I'd rather them be cold and dry than cold and wet. Did go with the arm warmers though.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 37m 27s
  • 12.68 miles
  • 20.32 mile/hr
Comments:

The cold wasn't that bad once you got moving. Armwarmers did the trick nicely. And my feet went numb, so they weren't cold. Well, they were, I just couldn't feel that they were. So no biggie.

Plan was to go easy the first 3 miles, spinning around 90 RRM, then drop the hammer the rest of the time, with a gel at 9 miles.

For some reason I didn't feel particularly strong at first. Maybe it was the cold, but my legs just didn't cooperate on the first lap. Second lap was about a minute faster. Guess it just took me a while to warm up.

Played tag with somebody on a road bike. I tried to pass but didn't have luck. Finally got past him going down the hill at the end of lap one, then he passed me right back. That didn't make me happy. I caught and passed him about 1/2 a mile into the 2nd lap, then I started hammering to remove any chance of him catching back up.

At this point there were people doing their first lap on the course, including my favorite sight in triathlon - mountain bikes. Started picking people off in bunches. That was fun.

Spun up the last hill pretty hard, then dropped the hammer going down the last hill. Got close to 40 mph, whizzing past people.

Can tell I've been riding the majority of the time on the drainer. Hills got to me more than I would have hoped. Still, I was in the top 20% overall, best I've ever done. Me likey the new bikey.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Got the bike shoes off ok, but I had to sit down to get my socks on. Could not feel my feet at all. Took some tugging and wriggling to get them on. In doing so, I forgot to take off my arm warmers. Everything else was fine.

Space heater?
Run
  • 21m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Feet were bricks when I left transition. Maybe that was a good thing. I was pretty nervous about how this run would feel with my limited volume since December. Having something to think about other than my achilles was probably good for me.

Legs felt really fresh when I started - maybe there is something to that tri bike. I felt great. Every time I passed someone, I would move on to the next one. Got passed once by a guy in a puffy green hat, but he wasn't in my age group.

I run these trails all the time when we visit Shannon's parents, so there were no surprises. I knew every hill, every turn. I loved it. Before I knew it, I was at the turnaround. 10:54. That would put me at 21:52. Still feeling good, so I went for a negative split. Feet finally thawed out at the 2 mile mark. That's when I went for it all. The last mile really hurt, but I dropped the hammer anyway. Crossed the line just 12 seconds short of my 5K PR.

Remember to take off the arm warmers in T2. I had to carry them for 2.5 miles after I took them off.

Maybe I could have cracked that 5K PR if I had tried to stay with the guy who passed me, but I'll take what I got and be happy with it. Considering how little run volume I have right now, I'd call this a great run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to see the boys and inlaws. Then grabbed the camera to take pics of the BTers going out and coming in. Cheered on everyone as they finished while chewing the fat with Steve and Kirk. Literally chewing the fat - they had donuts at the finish line!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim was good, but didn't push it that hard.

Bike volume is there, but too much is on the drainer. Need to get outside more and get some more strength for the hills.

Run volume isn't there yet. No telling what I'll be able to do when I have my running legs under me.

Still, I set a Sprint PR by about 5 minutes. I'm not going to oomplain about a thing.

Event comments:

Dallas Athletes went all out for this one. A cool race shirt and a hat in the race bag, Irish music playing during transition check in, and a guy playing the bagpipes during the entire swim. And of course, finish line donuts!

Easily one of the best races I've ever been a part of.

Last updated: 2006-12-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:02 | 328 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/33
Overall: 112/287
Performance: Good
Suit: Javelin Tri Top and Shorts
Course: Snake swim in 50m pool with one way lanes. Best way to do a pool swim. You can atually pass people without worrying about head-on collisions.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:27 | 12.68 miles | 20.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/33
Overall: 58/287
Min: 155 Average: 166 High: 175
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops over city streets. 2 good hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:21:23 | 03.11 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/33
Overall: 18/287
Mile 1: 6:51 (175 HR) Mile 2: 7:02 (175 HR) Mile 3: 6:51 (181 HR)
Course: Easy out and back over concrete city walking trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-03-18 4:40 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: St. Paddy's Day Sprint Triathlon

2007-03-18 5:23 PM
in reply to: #727356

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: St. Paddy's Day Sprint Triathlon
Sounds like you had a great race!
2007-03-18 8:28 PM

User image

That sounds like fun!  Wish I could have done it!
2007-03-18 8:42 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW! Great race... reallly fast! Congratulations!
2007-03-19 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Great race, Andy!  Looks like everything has really improved, especially that run time!
2007-03-19 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Nice race!  Congratulations.

2007-03-19 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

That was a fast race!  Nice. 

TJ

2007-03-20 1:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen

So getting injured and not doing as much run training makes you faster, huh?  must be the bike.

Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Paddy's Day Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed