Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-03-23 2:22 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: Q for Dems

And non Dems too, but I am mostly curious about my own peeps at this point:

What is your take on Edwards and his decision to stay on the campaign trail now that Elizabeth's cancer is back and "incurable?"    I don;t mean electability as much as, is he doing the right thing? Was he your candidate and is he still?

PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL ON MY THREAD! There, I just peed on it, so it really is mine now.  My dog taught me that one.

2007-03-23 2:24 PM
in reply to: #734857

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Q for Dems
i guess i'd want to find out what HER stand was on it before making a judgement call. different people deal with disease and death in different ways.
2007-03-23 2:27 PM

User image

Champion

Non-Dem here.

Depends entirely on what the treatment and followup entail and what her wishes are in regards to his involvement in it.  I don't think any of us can or should pass judgement on his decision.

2007-03-23 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

Eliz insists that he stay in- lots of press conference bravado etc...

of course it isn;t for us to jusdge, but i am wondering how it will affect dems' voting? 

2007-03-23 2:31 PM
in reply to: #734860

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

autumn - 2007-03-23 12:24 PM i guess i'd want to find out what HER stand was on it before making a judgement call. different people deal with disease and death in different ways.

Same here.  

I'm not more or less inclined to vote for him because of it.  I think of it as more like something he's dealing with, and I also know other people who are dealing with it, so... I don't really think it would get in his way of campaigning or governing (if he's nominated/elected), any more than any other family crisis would affect anyone else.

I guess I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming that SHE wants him to continute, to not let the cancer win.  At least, that's what I hope is going on. 

2007-03-23 2:34 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Dem.

Hafta admit, I'm struggling with it.  Your wife has stage-4 metastatic breast cancer, and you're going to focus your time and energy for the next year and half on what?

Of course, there is plenty i don't know about the situation - see above.  But as much as I'd rather not sit in judgment of someone else's priorities, on the surface this seemed nuts to me.

2007-03-23 2:44 PM

User image

Not a dem.... but then again, not really a republican.  There's not really a place for a pro death penalty, pro choice, pro stem cell etc. kinda guy.......

At any rate, it is NOT a decision I would make.  If I were as wealthy as he, and indeed my wife's cancer were "incurable" (I assume that mean s"X" number of months or years) I would spend every available moment with that person, not trying to get votes.

As an aside... and I am not saying he is doing this....  my intent is not to pee on this thread at all, and it isn't even my thought since I heard someone in the media bring it up.   There's no delicate way to ask, but why does he need a press conference to announce his wife has incurable cancer but he is still running.  Message:  Nothing has changed, but my wife is dying.  I guess I can more understand a press conference that my wife has cancer that's why I am bowing out.  The cynical part of me says no one was talking about Edwards 2 days ago except to say he was falling behind.

I don't know if he's "using" the disease for another purpose, and I am not accusing him of doing so, and hope that he is not doing so, I just wonder why it needs to be so public (other than yes, I understand that he, and she by default, are public figures).

2007-03-23 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Registered dem here.  It doesn't effect the way I'll vote at all.  I believe strongly that everybody deals with these types of situations differently and whether what he's doing is right for his family or not is to be decided by his family.  Some people just want to relax and be left alone when in this type of situation but some want nothing more than life to go on as planned.  Not because they're martyrs or anything, just because that's what they're most comfortable with and when you're dealing with something like this, being as comfortable as possible is important.

My $.02

2007-03-23 2:47 PM
in reply to: #734897

User image

Pro
Evanston,

ChrisM, as for the "announcement," I think it's one of those things you can't get right either way.  If they hadn't "announced," it would have become public somehow eventually.  Then all of the finger-waggers would be accusing him of trying to "hide" or "minimize" this situation in order to appear stronger, yadda yadda yadda.

2007-03-23 2:47 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

He wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in he!! in winning the primary before the news conference or now.

As for his family situation:  he (and she) needs to do what he (they) feel is the best thing for him (both).  I'm actually pretty surprised since his numbers are low and latest reports show his campaign struggling to gain any traction.

2007-03-23 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa

First, Chris M: Libertarian?

Ok, so I'm a dem and I am currently leaning towards Edwards. I think the decision to stay in the race was made by both John and Elizabeth, it's clear that Elizabeth wants to be the First Lady as much as John wants to be the President. She'll make a great first lady, too.

However, I do think that yesterday's press conference may have been a poor political move, a bit of a sympathy getter type thing. Maybe I'm just being cyncial. There was so much hype around the press conference that I was sure he was dropping out . I feel there could've been a better way to make the announcement since the race is still going on.

Anyways, all that aside, I support Edwards for a lot of his views and ideas, his wife's cancer will have very little push on my vote at the Caucuses in January.

2007-03-23 2:54 PM
in reply to: #734906

User image

Veteran
Iowa
The Mac - 2007-03-23 2:47 PM

A for his family situation:  he (and she) needs to do what he (they) feel is the best thing for him (both).  I'm actually pretty surprised since his numbers are low and latest reports show his campaign struggling to gain any traction.

The reason his campaign in struggling is because he hardly has any field staff in Iowa or elsewhere. And he's not at rock star status like Obama, he just doesn't have the same appeal. However, he is doing quite well in the Iowa polls, he's appealing to Iowa folk.

2007-03-23 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Edwards has been my choice for quite some time.  I worked on a number of his campaigns so I still stand by him.  Is it a difficult decision?  Absolutely.  But Elizabeth supports his effort 100% as he supports her 100%.  I have no doubt that if either of them felt it was detrimental (health or political) then they would make the right decision.

Was it a bit self-serving to have a conference?  Well it is politics.  There is NO way he is using it for personal gain.  Why would he?  It is too early to be peaking in the political season.  Plus, he didn't use it in 2004 when the Kerry/Edwards campaign was losing women voters.  I think we often scrutinize well intented actions too much. 

Personally, I hope he does use her cancer for political purposes.  Not to promote himself but to begin a serious dialogue that we need to be having in Washington.  It is a serious threat that touches nearly every American home in one way or another. 

2007-03-23 2:58 PM

User image

Giver
He may present as a sympathetic figure for people for people affected by cancer. He and his wife are going on with their lives, projecting an image of confidence that cancer is something you deal with and move on. I think that's positive.
2007-03-23 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Since he has no chance of getting the nomination this year anyway (Obaba, Clinton), it might have been wise to do the good husband/Al Gore(good public work) thing for four more years and emerge as a more viable candidate then. I agree with most of his policy ideas, but a big part of winning the presidency is that charisma thing. He still seems too young and too good-looking to be taken seriously.

Now, if he were to go to work with Lance Armstrong, raising awareness and funds for Cancer research and treatment and get in a nasty spill on the bike that gave him a nice, manly scar...

Edited by monkeyboy64 2007-03-23 3:10 PM
2007-03-23 3:03 PM

User image

Elite
I must say when I first heard about it I thought about how I would probably handle it differently. Then, I realized...I'm not them. They have been through the horrendous tragedy of losing a son already so man, whatever gets them through. It's such a personal thing.

Honestly, as a registered Democrat (an unconventional one at that: my legal system would be considered Draconian even by Republican standards ) Edwards really wasn't my Choice A or choice B. He is my choice C. Obama is my Choice A by far. Heck, I'm just giddy Bush's last day in office is 1 day closer every day. Guliani, a socially moderate Republican would be a huge improvement over the current disgrace of a president.

2007-03-23 3:08 PM
in reply to: #734921

User image

jennrs - 2007-03-23 12:51 PM

First, Chris M: Libertarian?

Leaning, but not quite that far out there

2007-03-23 3:46 PM
in reply to: #734879

Champion
South Jersey
CitySky - 2007-03-23 3:34 PM

Dem.

Hafta admit, I'm struggling with it.  Your wife has stage-4 metastatic breast cancer, and you're going to focus your time and energy for the next year and half on what?

Perhaps, and pardon my insensitivity, her dying wish (so to speak) is for her husband to make it the White House. And perhaps the way she wants to spend her final days/months/years is helping her husband getting there and possibly being around to see him there (and be First Lady). It could be her dream too.

2007-03-23 3:51 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

I'm a Wahooian.

Personally, I am put off by his decision and the manner of his announcement. I feel like he's being selfish, in his running and in the probabiluty that he can't win and at best can hope for a VP position. In my opinion they are either trying to use this as a spring board or he holds his own desire for power and control above his desire to be with his family (not just his wife - I would hazzard a guess that others beside his wife will need him now and in the month to come).

It's easy to label selfish desires as principals and fly under the colors of sacrifice. 

I am not them and they have their own lives to live how they see fit, but I can't help but either mistrust his motivations or his judgement, perhaps both. Said bluntly, it seems like another example of everything that is wrong with politicians. Just the way I feel. Not saying it's right, but it's my gut reaction.

2007-03-23 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Another Dem checking in. He was not my candidate and that hasn't changed. My first thought was that it was a selfish decision. However, after I thought about it a bit more, I realized this is their life. This is what they do. Doing the normal things, like campaigning and running for office may the best thing for their family.
2007-03-23 5:52 PM
in reply to: #734938

User image

Expert
Charleston, SC

run4yrlif - 2007-03-23 2:58 PM He may present as a sympathetic figure for people for people affected by cancer. He and his wife are going on with their lives, projecting an image of confidence that cancer is something you deal with and move on. I think that's positive.

I disagree because Edwards isnt effected by cancer, his wife is.

Oh, Im somewhat of a moderate/rightleaning independant. 

My mom relapsed with cancer not to long after she married my stepdad, and from what I understand know (thankfully didnt know it at the time) is relapses are pretty much a death sentance.  I saw the ever increasing sacrifices made by my step dad, as my mom grew sicker and sicker.  I cannot fathom the disdain I would have towards him if he had been traveling all over the country trying to further his career instead.  IMO, it is the cancer patient who should try to carry on, and those around should be there for support.  Sure it seems doable now, but what about in 6 months or a year when she cant even get out of bed?  I think if Jesus himself had made this same desision, Id lose respect for him based on my personal experience.

2007-03-23 6:18 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

I'm a conservative-ish Dem (and haven't read the whole thread). Undecided on my guy/gal for Prez.

I'm pretty split on this one. Half of me thinks "That's awesome. She's so tough and brave. Being a candidate's wife is a huge job and she's awesome for taking that on." The other half says, "OMG, are these people idiots? Even if she can live for a long time with the cancer, she has a constant reminder that death is not so far away. Don't they want to spend as much time together as possible? Don't they want to just enjoy life with one another and not be rushing to achieve, impress, win, etc.?"

I'll give both Edwards and his wife the credit to assume that this was a fully mutual decision and not just mean ol' power-hungry John pushing around poor, frail Elizabeth.

2007-03-23 6:44 PM

Master
portland, or
Is it the right thing? I don't know what the right thing is. My gut feeling would be to focus on her health, but I feel they're very committed to his platform and ideas for the country. I'm also convinced that she very much wants him to continue. But I'm still not sure that it's the right thing.

Was he your candidate, and is he still? I've made contributions to him. Both in 2004 and in the past few months. If the primary had been on Tuesday of this week would I have voted for him? Probably, but I'm also very interested in Bill Richardson (although I question his stealth campaign tactics). Post announcement, I don't know.

One thing to keep in mind is that while her cancer is "incurable", it is treatable.

scott
2007-03-23 7:31 PM
in reply to: #735139

User image

Giver
bcotten534 - 2007-03-23 6:52 PM

run4yrlif - 2007-03-23 2:58 PM He may present as a sympathetic figure for people for people affected by cancer. He and his wife are going on with their lives, projecting an image of confidence that cancer is something you deal with and move on. I think that's positive.

I disagree because Edwards isnt effected by cancer, his wife is.

Oh, Im somewhat of a moderate/rightleaning independant.

My mom relapsed with cancer not to long after she married my stepdad, and from what I understand know (thankfully didnt know it at the time) is relapses are pretty much a death sentance. I saw the ever increasing sacrifices made by my step dad, as my mom grew sicker and sicker. I cannot fathom the disdain I would have towards him if he had been traveling all over the country trying to further his career instead. IMO, it is the cancer patient who should try to carry on, and those around should be there for support. Sure it seems doable now, but what about in 6 months or a year when she cant even get out of bed? I think if Jesus himself had made this same desision, Id lose respect for him based on my personal experience.

You think that a husband isn't affected by his wife's cancer?

I'll tell you that when my dad and grandmother died of lung cancer within a week of each other, I was affected pretty seriously. To say my mom wasn't affected, well, that's just inaccurate. She was immensely affected. Cancer doesn't just strike individuals, it affects families.

From what her doctor has said, even though it's incurable, it is treatable and apparently her prognosis is good. It definitely doesn't sound like a death sentence anymore than everyone is sentenced to die eventually.

Being strong and steadfast in the face of disease, and showing a willingness to just get on with your life, to me, is nothing but positive. This was clearly a joint decision by the two of them, and it should not only be respected, but applauded. But that's just my opinion.

For the record, I'm a liberal democrat. But had even GWB been in a similar circumstance, I would have respected him and his wife equally.

Cancer knows no political parties. 

Edited by run4yrlif 2007-03-23 7:34 PM
2007-03-23 7:49 PM
in reply to: #735192

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Cancer doesn't just strike individuals, it affects families.

Pure independent, here.  Neither party comfortably accommodates my views...although I'm a registered D, as democrats tend to win in Michigan, and I like help shaping the kind of candidate that will inevitably be elected.

Ching.  As the father of a leukemic child (cured btw), and the grandson of an Alzheimers victim for 20+ years, everyone is torn up.  In some - or most - cases the people that DON'T have the cancer are affected more than the ones that do. 

I don't agree with Edward's decision to press on with the campaign, on the surface.  However, having been in that position more than once, the only opinions that matter are his and hers.  Period.  If they have an understanding that really works for them (I pray that's the case), then that's all that matters. 

Whether he can sell / spin that to make it palatable to the general public for election purposes is TBD.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Q for Dems Rss Feed  

of 2