Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What are you currently reading?/Favorite books Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-03-27 3:39 PM
in reply to: #738603

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: What are you currently reading?/Favorite books

Great Thread:

W.O. Blake's (1862) - History of Slavery

....anybody familar with this?  Great read.   

Love the following: 

Into Thin Air:  Everest Book - Krakauer

Straight Man: Richard Russo

All-time favorite author: Tolstoy

Edited by Writebrained 2007-03-27 3:44 PM

2007-03-27 3:49 PM

Master
Currently reading "The Lovely Bones"

Just finished reading "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs and "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" by Tucker Max.

I read "I hope they Serve Beer in Hell" in one sitting. Its just a collection of stories and each one is a train wreck. The book is certainly not recommended for those that get easily offended.
2007-03-27 3:56 PM
in reply to: #739177

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Writebrained - 2007-03-27 3:39 PM

Love the following:

Into Thin Air: Everest Book - Krakauer

If you liked this you should read The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev.  He is the climber that was sent back to camp to start making hot drinks for the climbers that were lagging behind and told to gather oxygen and meet them at the higher camp.  He was sent to do this by Scott Fischer.  Jon does not look kindly on this act in his book.  This is Anatoli's response to Jon's reaction to his actions that fateful day.  Tells the story from that perspective.  It's a good read so far.  In No Shortcuts to the Top Ed Viesturs says The Climb should be read before any opinion is formed from Anatoli's actions that day.  I haven't read Into Thin Air.  I plan to read it after I finish this one.

2007-03-27 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

I am currently reading "Lance Armstrong's War" very interesting so far.

Favorites:
Catch a Fire, the Life of Bob Marley

Last Man Standing, the Tragedy and Triumph of Geronimo Pratt

Che Guevara, a Revolutionary Life

See No Evil by Bob Baer

No Shortcuts to the Top by Ed Visturs

Edited by scmikasa 2007-03-27 4:03 PM
2007-03-27 4:05 PM
in reply to: #739003

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Stake - 2007-03-27 12:07 PM "On Call in Hell"- I was walking by the "just released" table at B&N and see a picture of a friend of mine on the cover of a book.  Turns out the surgeon from the last battalion I deployed with recieved the Bronze Star w/Combat V for setting up an aid station in the middle of Fallujah during the battle and wrote a book about it.  He's come a long way from sticking us with IV's after a hard night of boozing   It must be a pretty good read because Chippy was on page 2 and sobbing.  I still haven't had a chance to get it from her yet.

I saw the author on the Daily Show.  I'll bet you can find your friend on youtube now!

btw, I'm definitely buying this book.

2007-03-27 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Right now, I'm reading Dan Simmons' Endymion from his Hyperion series. It's good sci-fi. I'm such a nerd.

2007-03-27 4:32 PM

User image

Hawai'i
I like the Krakauer books, Into Thin Air, Into the Wild , Under the something of heaven, the fundamentalist Mormon one. He does a great job of getting into the subjects of his story. He can be a bit pompous at times but he does things I wouldn't and brings me into them. I read the Beck Weathers book about his horrendous Everest climb and I ended up having less compassion for him after the fact, he seemed a little bit like a dick.

Carl Hiaasen writes some very funny accounts of people in Florida. He crafts a great tale of craziness.

Tom Wolfe, A Man in Full, was a cool read about Atlanta, quite entertaining.

In Cold Blood by Capote was awesome, that sent me on a crime reading binge.

This thread could keep me going forever, I love finding out about good books.
2007-03-27 7:02 PM
in reply to: #739203

User image

Master
Central, IL
C-Ray - 2007-03-27 3:56 PM

Love the following:

If you liked this you should read The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev. He is the climber that was sent back to camp to start making hot drinks for the climbers that were lagging behind and told to gather oxygen and meet them at the higher camp. He was sent to do this by Scott Fischer. Jon does not look kindly on this act in his book. This is Anatoli's response to Jon's reaction to his actions that fateful day. Tells the story from that perspective. It's a good read so far. In No Shortcuts to the Top Ed Viesturs says The Climb should be read before any opinion is formed from Anatoli's actions that day. I haven't read Into Thin Air. I plan to read it after I finish this one.

Thanks.  It's on my list~! 

2007-03-27 7:53 PM

Master

Currently: Kane and Able - Jeffery Acher
                 Far from the Maddening crowd - Thomas Hardy

Fav: The experiment / Neandrathal - John Darnton
        Ghost Rider - Neil Peart

2007-03-27 8:33 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

A Most Fortunate Ship: A Narative History of Old Ironsides  by Tyrone Martin

<---- See my avatar

for work:

Essentials of Investments, by Bodie, Kane & Marcus.  Text to prepare for my CIMA (Certified Investment Management Analyst) certification exam in May.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2007-03-27 8:41 PM
2007-03-28 12:08 AM
in reply to: #739203

User image

Extreme Veteran
C-Ray - 2007-03-27 1:56 PM

Love the following:

If you liked this you should read The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev.  He is the climber that was sent back to camp to start making hot drinks for the climbers that were lagging behind and told to gather oxygen and meet them at the higher camp.  He was sent to do this by Scott Fischer.  Jon does not look kindly on this act in his book.  This is Anatoli's response to Jon's reaction to his actions that fateful day.  Tells the story from that perspective.  It's a good read so far.  In No Shortcuts to the Top Ed Viesturs says The Climb should be read before any opinion is formed from Anatoli's actions that day.  I haven't read Into Thin Air.  I plan to read it after I finish this one.

Absolutley agree with Ed Viesturs - both perspectives (Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" and Boukreev's "The Climb") are important to have before passing judgement. Yet even after reading both, as well as Beck Weathers' "Left for Dead" and viewing the IMAX film Everest...there is a lot that still didn't seem to add up for me. I guess the answers died on the mountain with expedition leaders Scott Fischer and Rob Hall. A tragic and controversial event ...but an awesome read. Check 'em out

C-Ray, I'd be interested to know what you think after reading Into Thin Air. I LOVE the good ol' Everest debate!

In other reading news, I don't do much serious reading since I have so much to read for school. (Textbooks = greatest sleep aid ever.) So when I have the chance, I keep it light. Shopaholic and Harry Potter all the way

Cheers,
Megz

2007-03-28 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
MA

Currently reading:

"About Alice" by Calvin Trillin
"Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public Health" by Laurie Garrett

Favorites:

"Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracy Kidder (about Dr. Paul Farmer)
"The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Anne Fadiman
"One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Garcia Marquez
"A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry
"We Tell Ourselves Stories in Order to Live" by Joan Didion (collection of nonfiction

Jennrs, you will love "Suite Francaise" (I saw it on your list at librarything.com).  I agree with you about "The Emperor's Children"- I read it right after I moved to NYC thinking it would be a perfect read.  I probably read about 5 books between the start and finish of it- I thought she really dragged her feet getting into the story, and then by the time I was actually enjoying the book it was over!

2007-03-28 1:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-03-28 1:45 PM

Veteran
Oak Cliff, Texas
The Art or War By Sun Tzu
The Broker by Grisham
The New Testament by Various old dudes
The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, PH.D.

2007-03-28 1:46 PM

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
I went through a survival series when i got cancer: Krakauer is awesome. If you like that, check out Aron Ralston Between a Rock and a Hard Place, and In Harm's Way, about the USS Inidianapolis disaster. Touching the Void is also AMAZING. I also read everything about Lance, and none of it disappointed.

Some other recent favs:

The Lovely Bones was beautiful. Along those same lines, if you liked that, try The Time Travelers Wife. Incredibly well done.

Mike Magnuson's Heft on Wheels was extremely funny (but grammatically, he missed a couple, a pet peeve of mine, especially when written by an English professor) but Joe Kurmaskie is better, in my opinion. Try Metal Cowboy.

Tony Bourdain's books are very funny, about the life of a chef. His kitchen Confidential was a laugh riot from beginning to end. If you like cooking stories/chef stories, get Buford's HEAT.

Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods is another recent favorite. He is particularly unkind to Pennsylvania's section of the AT, but I wish I could say it was unwarranted and he was wrong. I've hiked the AT in PA. It isn't and he is spot on.

Anything by Cormac McCarthy. He is one of the greatest writers of our generation. Hands down.

Michael Lewis's The Blind Side.

I finished A New Kind of Christian, by McClaren, which was terribly written (another English teacher, too), but the insights were well worth plodding through his awkward dialogue and stunted prose.

Right now I am reading A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin. I love it (it is beautifuly written) and hate it (I realize I will never be a great writer). If you like linguistic phrasing that sings like poetry, try his stuff.

I am also reading Dead I Well May Be. Cool book about an Irish Likable Thug in America...

2007-03-28 2:31 PM
in reply to: #740486

Master
Colorado

FishrCutB8 - 2007-03-28 2:46 PM 

Touching the Void is also AMAZING. 

I was just about to recommend this after seeing all the Krakauer posts. If you think Everest was a tough situation...

The DVD is awesome as well.

2007-03-28 2:44 PM
in reply to: #740580

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Stake - 2007-03-28 3:31 PM

I was just about to recommend this after seeing all the Krakauer posts. If you think Everest was a tough situation...

Agreed about the movie--watched it with my wife. We were glued to the telly....
2007-03-28 3:01 PM
in reply to: #740421

Veteran
Iowa
Nekton - 2007-03-28 1:23 PM

Currently reading:

"About Alice" by Calvin Trillin
"Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public Health" by Laurie Garrett

Favorites:

"Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracy Kidder (about Dr. Paul Farmer)
"The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Anne Fadiman
"One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Garcia Marquez
"A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry
"We Tell Ourselves Stories in Order to Live" by Joan Didion (collection of nonfiction

Jennrs, you will love "Suite Francaise" (I saw it on your list at librarything.com).  I agree with you about "The Emperor's Children"- I read it right after I moved to NYC thinking it would be a perfect read.  I probably read about 5 books between the start and finish of it- I thought she really dragged her feet getting into the story, and then by the time I was actually enjoying the book it was over!

I'm really excited to read "Suite Francaise" ! I'm about ready to put down "The Emperor's Children", but if you say it gets better, I may just stick with it.

Great book suggestions, everybody. My "to read" list is growing!

2007-03-28 3:19 PM
in reply to: #740580

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Stake - 2007-03-28 2:31 PM

I was just about to recommend this after seeing all the Krakauer posts. If you think Everest was a tough situation...

He has written a follow up to Touching the Void called The Beckoning Silence, Joe Simpson.
Hard to believe that The Void was a true story.  I couldn't believe it when I first saw it.  I still need to read the book.

2007-03-28 3:24 PM
in reply to: #738955

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
I'm reading Shadow of The Wind now. Hope to finish it on the plane this weekend!
2007-03-28 8:28 PM

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I'm reading Ian Fleming's James Bond novels in order. I'm up to Moonraker. They're very different from the movies.  No gadgets whatsoever, for one thing. 

Ian Fleming also wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I suspect he was drunk at the time. 

2007-03-28 8:45 PM

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Current:

Swimming to Antartica by Lynne Cox
Paddle Your Own Canoe by Gary and Joanie McGuffin
Space Systems Failures: Disasters and Rescues of Satellites, Rockets, and Space Probes by David Harland and Ralph Lorenz

Some favorites:

The Science of Ice Cream by C. Clarke
The Science of Chocolate by S. Beckett
The Measure of All Things: The Seven-Year Odyssey and Hidden Error that Transformed the World by Ken Adler (the history of determining the meter)
Miles from Nowhere: A Round the World Bicycle Adventure by Barbara Savage

2007-03-29 6:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
I loved Shadow of the Wind. My local librarian recommended after I lost interest in The Historian (great first half, boring as all get-out second half).

I just finished A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson-- there are some laugh-out-loud moments in this account of an attempt to through-hike the Appalachian Trail (which is a "someday" dream of mine). Highly recommend

Love John Irving, especially A Prayer for Owen Meany, Cider House Rules, and World According to Garp.

2007-03-29 8:24 AM

Elite
Muskego, WI

Good stuff on this list.

I'll second "The Perfect Mile" by Neal Bascomb.

I can't believe among these adventure book readers that no one has mentioned "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson. 

Good fiction...  "Shutter Island" by Dennis Lehane (author of Mystic River)

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What are you currently reading?/Favorite books Rss Feed  

of 2