General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 00m 2s
Overall Rank = 220/499
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:00; an hour and 15 minutes too early, but I had slept well and felt rested, so it wasn't an issue. Ate a couple of energy bars, a blueberry muffin and coffee.

Packed up and drove to the race site.

Got TA set up, double-checked it 5 times, and then waited and waited.
Event warmup:

None really, was able to get into the water and stroke around a little, but that was about it.

Quite a long wait between getting TA set up and the actual race start. I was in an early wave but the Quarter Iron racers had to wait for the Half Iron folks to go first.

Should've hit the portacan one more time, but waited too late.
Swim
  • 27m 41s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had some GI issues right at the start and never got into a good rhythm. Started getting discouraged about my ability to swim even moderately well, and had to work at getting past it. Finally started feeling better, but I couldn't make up much time.

Had to breaststroke at times to get settled down, catch my breath and to sight.

I didn't swim efficiently and my sighting was poor. There were some minor choppy waves, but the salt water in the mouth wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Swimming is definitely not my strong point and my time showed it. Predicted 21 minutes, came in at ~28.

I was really glad it was done.
What would you do differently?:

Should've had a better swim, but didn't. No excuses.

More OWS practice. Do OK in the pool, but still a LOT of work to do in OWS.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Little bit of distance between the water and entrance to T1, walked for 25 yards catching my breath. Got stripped, and took a few seconds to wash my face off in the shower and get a drink of water.

Decent time, but nothing to brag about. Went smooth enough. Wearing a tri top during the swim and going without socks saved quite a bit of time.

Doing the running tap dance in bike shoes on concrete always sucks.

Nothing today, but warm weather is here and it's time to start perfecting the shoes on the bike mount.
Bike
  • 1h 37m 48s
  • 28 miles
  • 17.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty stiff headwind going out. Mentally, I was totally cool with it; it sucks for everybody, but it's not going to bother me.

About a mile into the ride, hit a bad bump and lost my bottle of Nuun water. Still had my aerobottle with G-ade, so I'm OK.

Had a steady ride going and averaging about 16mph into the wind. Then, at about mile 12, the rear tire flatted. Dang it!

Oh well, I've got my repair kit; after cursing my misfortune for about 2 seconds, it was time to go to work.

Get the tire and tube off; piece of wire big as Dixie stuck in it. Had some trouble with the CO2 inflator and almost blew up the tube/tire. Ended up with the tire at about 60 psi. Whew, close call.

Fumble around getting the wheel back on, but I'm finally back on the road. While my bike was laid down, all my G-ade poured out of the aerobottle. Picked up some water later at an aid station, so I thought I was going to be OK.

Didn't time it exactly, but I lost about 8-9 minutes. Oh well. There were a LOT of flats today, I was just one of many.

Once we reached the turn around, the tailwind made life a lot easier. Was able to make up a little bit of lost time, but the under-inflated tire was costing me some efficiency.

Brought it on in with no further incidents. Loosing the Nuun and G-ade was going to come back to haunt me later on the run.

Predicted 1:28, came in at ~1:38.

Not get a flat would be near the top of any list. You would've thought 4-1/2" of rain the day before would've washed the roads off, but I guess not.

Use a 12 gram cartridge on the inflator and instead of a 16. The 16 is almost too much and kind of tricky to control.

All in all, I'm pleased with the ride despite the flat. Physically, I was dialed in, and might have met my time goal, but today just wasn't the day.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Very good T2. 5th fastest in AG.

Nothing.

I always fly through T2 so fast I keep thinking I'm forgetting something... Haven't yet.
Run
  • 51m 10s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run with a hydration deficiency due to loosing all my liquids on the bike course. Wasn't all that hot, but I've learned that it can be deceiving.

I drank at least a cup of everything at the first couple of aid stations to try to get my electrolytes built back up. Found my pace and got into a good running rhythm.

Around mile 4 started feeling a small, isolated area in the left quad that was starting to cramp; I thought, "Oh crap, here we go."

Took it easy, thought positive thoughts, ate a Carboom gel from one of the aid stations, drank some water and G-ade, and slowly, the cramp subsided and never developed into anything much more.

Wow, close call. I hate cramps more than I do flat tires.

At mile 5, got motivated by a guitar player who was doing a pretty good job with The Allman Brothers' "Jessica" and started picking up the pace.

When I finally knew the finish was actually close and there wasn't yet another loop, I kicked it in and finished strong.

Not much really, I ran to my ability and race conditions.

I had predicted 51 minutes, and I nailed it.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing special; walked around, found my wife, got something to eat and drink, snapped some pics. Chatted with some BT'ers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor swimming, poor swimming, and poor swimming.

Oh, and the flat tire limited it some, also.

Event comments:

A very well run race, you could tell it was a first-class job. Weather played havoc with the sprint race on Saturday and the after-effects were still evident on the course for Sunday, but the RD did a good job in making everthing work.

Really cool meeting Marmadaddy and Ron. Talked with them at the expo and post-race. MANY thanks to those guys and all their work on this site. No way of telling how many millions of dollars of lost work productivity they have been responsible for.

Met a bunch of BT'ers, so many, that their "real names" and user names got all blended together. Luke, Kylie, Bill, The Bear, dodgersmom, Joe, Bonnie, coredump, jcagg90, doughboy, and others that I have missed or forgotten.

Where else in the world can you meet someone in real life for the first time whose blogs you've read on the Internet, and talk about peeing in your wetsuit while floating in the water before a race. ;-)

Good folks, all.

Great early season race and will definitely keep it in mind for next year.

Last updated: 2007-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:41 | 1056 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/20
Overall: 359/499
Performance: Bad
Suit: 2XU full wet suit
Course: Kind of a big semi-open triangle, marked pretty well.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:37:48 | 28 miles | 17.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/20
Overall: 276/499
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Pretty much an out and back, and flat. Good roads and traffic control. Some minor turns and corners to negotiate.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:10 | 06.5 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/20
Overall: 136/499
Performance: Good
Course: Serpentine course that looped around so much, you had no idea how much farther the end was until near the very end. Sidewalks and streets with some grass, dirt and mud thrown in at random places. Well marked so you wouldn't get lost, but the miles were not marked very well, and so the distances were just a guess while running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-02 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

2007-04-02 9:35 AM
in reply to: #745203

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter
Nice meeting you after the race, congratuations on persevering through the many challenges to finish as well as you did. Seemed to be an epidemic of flats out there on the bike course, and the wind going out was just brutal.
2007-04-02 10:05 AM

Master
Houston
Great job!
2007-04-02 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Great job Jim! It was great getting to meet you! I passed you with your flat and didn't realize it was you until I was already past. Great job getting going and finishing strong!
2007-04-02 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

It was great to meet you yesterday. and it just so happened that is was pure happenstance! 

You had a great race, despite your tire, and eventual nutrition/hydration issues.

2007-04-02 1:06 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I have adventures? No... YOU have adventures! At least on this race you did. Dang... could something else had gone wrong?

Even with all the "issues"... you still rocked it!

Man, if I ever get a flat during a race... I am going to HOPE some man will be kind enough to help me change. Although, during a race... I doubt anyone will take that much pity on me. Unless he's last and doesn't care if he finished in a certain amount of time.

Looks like you had an interesting race... and that's cool that you got to meet so many BTer's!

2007-04-02 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

It was great to see you at the race!!!

You had a great race, and it could have bee worse.......I flatted twice.......(how many spares do you carry? I carry ONE)......

2007-04-02 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
Great job and way to work through your issues. Great way to start the year
2007-04-02 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Nice race.  Great run!  I think you learned a lot on the swim....so much mental stuff going on during an OWS. 

TJ

2007-04-03 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great race report. You should be proud for fighting through the bike problems. Winners never quit.
2007-04-03 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Great job.  Even with all the challenges you finished strong.  Congratulations.

2007-04-04 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Great job!  Sounds like you have a tough race, but really put the effort in to tough it out and not let yourself get discourage.  Looks like you've got the mental battle nailed.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed