General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-07 11:56 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Ironman US Lake Placid is now 76 Days away and counting :)

for the good of the group:

1). How is your training going and how are you feeling
2). Is this your first Full Ironman (Or are you a Veteran)
3). Do you have any tuneup races planned between now and July 22nd

2007-04-07 12:09 PM
in reply to: #752368

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Being the newbie of the group, I thought I would kick off the "Race Thread" since it had not been done yet

I just picked up my qualified Slot at Ironman California 70.3 last weekend.

Training is going great. I just finished up my recovery cycle for IMCal and am really looking forward to some great workouts in the coming weeks.

My training has been focused on this race since December even though getting a qualified slot was a longshot. Now that I have my slot, I feel like I am in good position physically and mentally to dive into the remainder of the training cycle.

This is my first full 140.6 Distance race and I have been working my base for this race since early 2006. My key limiter was running and so I focused on it for most of 2006, running 4 marathons and 6 Half Marathons in that time. (The Run no longer seems to be the limiter it once was)

Best of all, I am so happy that I Spring is finally here so I can get out of the pool and do most of my workouts at the beach. Looks like my standard workout is going to be a 1 mile swim, 1/2 mile run in the sand, and then another 1 mile swim. (To get ready for the LP Swim)

I am scheduled to do the Wildflower Long Course (HIM) in the beginning of May and am thinking of adding the Carlsbad Triathlon (Sprint) in the beginning of June as a tuneup.

Train Well Peeps

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-04-07 12:10 PM
2007-04-07 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got my slot by agreeing to raise money with Race4Kids for the Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario. My coach's now 3 yo daughter was diagnosed w/ ALL(leukemia) at age 2.

1) training
It's going pretty well although I'm truly sick of the snow and cold. Went to 'camp' in Clermont, FL in March and got in a mega miles bike week but then came home to more yucky stuff. Hope to be able to start riding the course again in a few more weeks though. Picking up the running miles a little this month.

2)Ironman experience
IM Lake Placid 2002, 2003 and IM Wisconsin 2006. Second one I've actually trained for w/ WI being the first so hopefully it won't be a repeat of hypothermia induced bad decisions.

3)Tune ups
FL 70.3, Muskoka Chase long course, Patriot HIM

BTW, you're out of the water less than 30 ft between laps at LP so you don't need to train for the beach run if you don't want to. I've got some course pics in my album section and will add more as I start training on there again.

Edited by xterratri 2007-04-07 1:30 PM
2007-04-08 7:51 AM

User image

Expert
Carmel
My training is going just OK. I havnt been able to put in the miles that I wish that I could. With work, and just Life taking over at times. Also Im getting married in a few months, thank god my fiancee is doing most of the planning but there are still times that I have thnigs to do for that. I guess I will keep trucking away. Swim: Not a problem, doing well. Bike: Im doing OK. I have to be more consistent with my long rides. Run: This is what I have been worried about and I have been trying to get all of my runs that are planned in. This was the first week where I missed one and it was bc I strained a muscle.

First full.

I have a 1/2 Iron on May 19, and a Sprint on June 2. I may add a 1/2 Marathon on April 22, and a training camp in LP in June.
2007-04-08 8:48 PM

User image

Expert

Well, it's not 76 days away (it's 105 days away actually- my desk calendar at work, not that I worked today, has the number of days away marked for each day leading up to the race).

1)  Swimming is great- I've got the endurance, now I am refining my stroke and trying to get even faster, plus I've got a time goal.  The run is going great, I missed out on breaking 2 hours in a half marathon by seconds, bring my time down by 51 minutes in a year   I'm trying to strength train and do yoga when possible.

Then there's the bike.  It's not going well at all.  Overall endurance isn't the issue- while I have only done one 50 miler since last September, my body seems to be able to go for a long time fairly easily with the right pacing and nutrition.  The problems I'm having have to do with the fact that I'm not biking enough- I don't have a trainer and though it's April it's not really getting much above the mid 40s and the wind has absolutely sucked.  Speed has always been an issue Going uphill isn't so bad- a trainer class helped with that. 

It's the downhills that terrify me right now- even the little ones that don't go down more than say 30-40 feet.  20 feels way too fast going downhill right now- though I feel fine going that speed on the flats if there's no big crosswind at least.  Right now, with my fear of the downhill (which is all in my head- I fell in a rainstorm going downhill in Jan), I don't know if I could make it through the bike course- even parts of the Columbia tri course, which is in 6 weeks are a concern.   I'm working on this as much as possible but this January in April stuff here just sucks.

I'm screwed if I don't figure this out.  So the single most important thing for me to do before the race is to get comfortable enough going down the hills, though that downhill to Keane will probably always concern me (40+ mph is what I keep hearing

2)- Yes, this is my first full IM (I've done 2 halfs and plan on a third before raceday)

3)  I'm planning on pacing a marathon, and racing an Olympic, a half Ironman (Eagleman), possibly a sprint tri, an organized century and a 2.4 mile swim.  I will also go up to LP for a long weekend to train.

2007-04-09 10:45 AM
in reply to: #753198

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Well, it's not 76 days away (it's 105 days away actually- my desk calendar at work, not that I worked today, has the number of days away marked for each day leading up to the race).

Oops, your right. Looks like I skipped a month when I was counting the days

I bet your scouting trip to LP will help with the downhill training. (You get a chance to see what it is really like)

2007-04-16 9:46 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE

Thanks for kicking off the Race Talk.

--> Training is going well. I am following the BT Ironman Training Plan (gold edition). I've been right on schedule. My limiters are swim & bike. For the swim, I now have a coach and it's helping a lot. For the bike, I am logging the time but most of it has been on the trainer, but with the weather getting warmer I plan to get out on the road much more often.

--> This is my first IM.

--> Just an Oly tri on June 9th and a few running races.

EVERYONE, BEST OF LUCK IN YOUR TRAINING!!!!

Edited by jeepgil97 2007-04-16 9:47 PM
2007-04-17 10:43 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Under 100 days now (95 actually, but who's counting ).

1 - Training is going well.  My current focus is lots of quality work on the bike & run while keeping volume at a moderate level.  Feeling pretty good about where I'm at right now.

2 - First IM

3 - The EnduraSport New York tri at Harriman is my main "tuneup" race.  A very challenging HIM in just about a month.  My IM-specific training starts after that.  Also racing the Philadelphia Tri (oly) in late June, but basically training straight through that one as it's only 4 weeks out from LP.

2007-04-17 11:50 AM

User image

New user

1. Training is going well. the main issue is avoiding the distractions that life throws at you. My main limiter is the swim, so I've been focusing on that mostly. Also, I've been working the hills on the bike to prepare for the course.

2. This is my first IM.

3. I'm doing a couple of sprints late May/early June, but otherwise no tuneup races.
2007-04-17 12:14 PM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

1. My training is going pretty well. I have been base building (little or no speed work) since the beginning of January and I can really tell a difference in how my body is both accepting higher levels of volume as well as my long runs/rides are getting much easier. I am a little concerned that I am "slower" than I used to be last season, but I understand that LSD is the priority to get through a REALLY long day.
        I am still trying to decide how much I need to swim. I have a swimming background and I really don't like it . If I swam frequently I know I have the background to pull out a speedy swim but the mental anguish I feel every time I go to the pool may not be worth it. Getting all the biking and running in is my current priority.

2. This is my first IM

3. I have the Kinetic 1/2 IM in just a few days. Not looking forward to the mid-50 degree temp water but I like the idea of a nice long training day in a race setting I am also signed up for the Columbia Oly and Eagleman. I may or may not do the Lake Montclair Oly in late June, only because it is in my backyard and a fun race.

2007-06-23 11:14 AM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE

Video clip of the IM Lake Placid bike course - descent

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hz_CTFqqYjQ

2007-07-18 7:49 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Best of luck to everyone.  Hope I get to meet a lot of BT'ers this weekend.  Wish we had a meet tent or something. 
2007-07-20 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Look for BT signage!! we want to meet you too- time to make an official Bt FLAG or Banner!LOts of Bters there so make yourself identifiable as a Bt er so we can INPIRE you..!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed