General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm not an Ironman (IMAZ=DNF) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-04-16 7:23 PM
in reply to: #762763

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: I'm not an Ironman (IMAZ=DNF)
Elaine,

Really I've no idea who you are and will probably never meet you.. but I can't stop reading and re-reading your race report. You make me want to sign up for an IM. Extremely inspirational.

You are an ironwoman in my book.

2007-04-16 7:27 PM

PirateGirl, I completely understand what you went through. Last year I missed the IMAZ swim cut off. I'll never forget the time as I got to the top of the stairs and saw 2:25:38 on the clock and they took my chip. This year your bike ride was exactly like mine. The 10 mph going downhill while my legs were burning. You were a head of me though. Beginning of loop 3 the time was 2:57pm and I knew it was do or die. I ditch everything and didn't stop the bike for anything, not even the bathroom. My girlfriend and parents were volunteers at bike aid station #2. As I came over the hill I was the last rider and the police were following me. This is not the first time I have had this happen to me. As I passed them without grabbing anything at 30mph they yelled at me to keep pushing. I hit the second cutoff at about 4pm. There it was... an hour and a half to go 20 miles to make the 5:30pm cutoff time. Coming back my girlfriend and parents passed me cheering me on and honking the horn down the road. I hit Rio Salado tucked in the aero position and was grinding a whole 9.5 mph. I made the right to go over the bridge and looked at my watch and it was 5:30pm!!! I didn't stop just tucked and dropped a gear and ground it out..... I got to the dismount line 11 minutes too late. The guy looked scared to tell me he was sorry but I could not continue the race. My answer was what was the wind speed today and he replied 45mph and it even blew one of the tents over. I just smiled and said ok. As I got off my bike and he took off my chip another guy asked if I was going to do it again next year and I said yes! People on the sides just gave me positive remarks.

This morning I finished signing up for next year's IMAZ at 10:15am. You learn something new each race!!

Be proud, You worked hard for over ten hours and never quit! See you there next year!!
2007-04-16 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
I'm sorry to hear that. Keep your head up. It'll just make your next Ironman that much sweeter. Use it as a training tool and build from there. How you bounce back is what matters. I have to remind myself of that sometimes.
2007-04-16 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
Never forget DNF > DNS > Did not enter

And I never made it to the line having screwed up my training, so you beat me (and probably a couple of others in that category) and a whole lot of people in the third category!!
2007-04-16 8:12 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

You did your very best.  If you hadn't had to fight the headwind for that long, you would have made the cut off.  Sometimes the conditions just aren't going to help you.

You didn't quit though.  You kept going til they told you to stop.

You are not an Ironman (yet) but you ARE someone who knows how to keep going even in the face of almost insurmoutable odds - to try.  You didn't surrender and you fought to the end.

You are ultimately worthy of respect.

Good luck next year!

2007-04-16 10:33 PM

User image

Master
Portland, OR

Elaine,

Readying your post broke my heart and my eyes swelled with tears knowing what it must have taken to get you there.  Then reading that you signed up again for next year?  It gave me chills.

You will be an Ironman, I have no doubt. 

2007-04-17 6:49 AM
in reply to: #763134

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

GolfMark - 2007-04-16 7:59 AM

You signed up = Winner
You trained = Winner
You got to the race = Winner
You battled the conditions and did your best = Winner
You didn't hide and expressed your feelings = Winner

And don't forget, from your race report...

" I just registered for IMAZ 2008. I'll give this another whirl!"  Winner

2007-04-17 6:50 AM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

Elaine, that last lap was the most difficult 18 miles I've ever done. It was incredibly demoralizing. When someone asks you how you did, simply answer with what you learned about yourself, the race and attempting huge goals. And let them know you've already signed up for next year. If you have to feel embarrassment WITH ANYONE after that, you're wasting your breath even talking to them.

Nice to meet and chat with you before the swim!

You've got a year to build your pumpers into mashing machines - good luck!!!

2007-04-17 7:01 AM

Extreme Veteran

Can only echo what others have said. An inspiring and gritty story. I loved the way you gave it everything and really searched your body and soul for what it had to give. On the day conditions got the better of you but your attitude and effort sum up what impresses me most about Iron athletes.

Edited by Cando 2007-04-17 7:27 AM
2007-04-17 7:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA

so sorry to hear about your race. stay strong.  you know you didn't quit on yourself and from this you will emerge stronger. 

take some time to reflect on all the things you learned from the day, the strength, both mental and physical, that you gained through all of your training, eat some ice cream and then have some fun racing some short course this summer and then return next year to kick some behind.

k

2007-04-17 9:13 AM

New user

Hi PirateGirl,
Thanks for sharing this. When I am honest what scares me the most about IM is not the distance but the thought that I may not make it. I read these great race reports where everyone succeeds and I wonder what happens to the 15-20% that DNF? This fear of DNF is what stops me from signing up for an IM, it means I will only do a distance if I know I can succeed- fine for shorter races but the IM is such an unknown.

So thank you for sharing your experience- its helping me to realise that for me the real battle is not finishing the race, is actually starting.

Thanks

2007-04-17 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
The one thing I learned a long time ago is this....

It's ALL about the starting line...

It's the struggle and not the results that makes the biggest difference...

Learn and move forward...As for myself, this was the closet race I too had almost DNF... it was a very tough race.

Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2007-04-17 9:20 AM
2007-04-17 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA

Way to go Piratgirl - Taking on IMAZ again.  You will definitly do it next year.  It took a lot of courage to face that challange and even more to sign up again so soon after.

Just like Sarah you will rock the second time arround.

2007-04-17 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
I read this and teared up -- your story really touched me.  No matter what the official results say, you certainly embody the spirit of an Ironman.
2007-04-17 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN

PirateGirl - You are a winner in my book!  YOu went out there and you took on the elements and you fought to the bitter end.  That is the kind of stuff heros are made of and you are mine!

This is what I did as i was coming back from knee replacement surgery.  Take what ever newspaper clippings or printouts you can get and hang them up near your trainer or workout area.  Use it as motivation to press on and kick that monster's butt next time.

Hold your head high.  YOu have NOTHING to be ashamed of.

2007-04-17 2:58 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
woman, you're still more an ironman that 99+% of the population. getting to the start, and finishing the majority of the race under brutal conditions, counts for something. you are not a loser, because you STARTED. you are not a loser, because you TRIED. that is more than most can ever say. be proud of what you DID. sort through what you need to, because there's no telling you to ignore the disappointment. i'd feel the same way...and its hard to dish out positive energy that resonates because i've yet to even try IM distance...but i bet i would (feel the same way about a DNF). but, since i haven't tried, i can say this....i am VERY proud of you.

Edited by autumn 2007-04-17 3:03 PM

2007-04-17 3:42 PM

New user

PirateGirl,

When I saw your post Monday morning I tried reading it out loud to my boyfriend. My voice cracked and tears swelled up in my eyes. He had almost the exact same story as you. You guys worked your butts off out there on the beeline. I was one of the volunteers at aid station #2. I was out there from 12-5 pm and I can vouch for all of you - that you got the worst winds of the day. As time went on the winds got worse.

I kept looking for my boyfriend waiting to see him riding over the hill before our aid station. It had been awhile since he'd been by on his 2nd loop and I was expecting him. A call came over the radio that the last rider was at Mile 1 and she was expected at our aid station in 45 minutes.

I saw at least 10-12 riders after that call came through. My boyfriend hadn't come across yet..... A girl stopped at our aid station and used the port-a-potty I assumed she was the last rider and wondered where my boyfriend was. I was sad that he hadn't come and wondered if he'd been hurt. I never once thought of him as a loser. I was so proud of all that he had accomplished not only on April 15th but all of the time leading up to that. A few minutes later people started to cheer and I looked to my left and saw him ride over the hill with the motorcycle cop behind him. Everyone was clapping and telling him he could do it. He knew the time was running out and he never gave up. They rode off. The girl was still at our station. One of the course motorcyclists came back to find her. He asked her if she was ok and she said yes. I think she knew in her heart that she wasn't going to make it on time but she got on her bike and took off riding. I'm sure she rode to the end also.

Our station closed down and we (me and boyfriends parents) got in my car and drove down the beeline towards Shea. We saw Jeff coming back the other way. The winds were so bad at times that we couldn't see the other side of the road because of the dust. We turned around and headed back towards Tempe. As we passed Jeff and other riders we put our windows down, shook our bells, blew the horn and yelled for them to keep going. They never stopped.

When we got to Tempe we were caught up in alot of traffic from all of the detours. We figured we'd missed him transition to the run. We parked and started walking towards the park. I saw a couple of riders come around the corner near the parking garage at US Airways. You might have been one of those. We cheered for whoever we saw. Jeff came around the corner. It was a little past 5:30 ..we didn't know that was the cutoff. Jeff and another girl were still riding to the finish. As he wrote on here earlier he knew he already missed the cutoff. He was 5 minutes behind you. I read something yesterday either in the AZ Republic or something else that said planes even had to be diverted to Tucson for landing because the winds were so bad....

We are so proud of him and what he accomplished. Of course he had his heart set on finishing. We are confident he'll complete it next year. He woke up the next day and the first thing he did was sign up for IMAZ '08. His day and the way you described yours are the truest form of an Ironman. You never gave up and you pushed yourself as hard as you could. You'll do it. We'll be there next year to cheer for you when you run down that finish line and they tell you "Elaine, you are an Ironman!"

Be proud of what you've done. No need to feel embarresed. The people you talk to should be impressed with completing 114.4 miles in a day.
2007-04-17 4:58 PM
in reply to: #763969

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

jeffie0099 - 2007-04-16 4:27 PM

PirateGirl, I completely understand what you went through. Last year I missed the IMAZ swim cut off. I'll never forget the time as I got to the top of the stairs and saw 2:25:38 on the clock and they took my chip. This year your bike ride was exactly like mine. The 10 mph going downhill while my legs were burning. You were a head of me though. Beginning of loop 3 the time was 2:57pm and I knew it was do or die. I ditch everything and didn't stop the bike for anything, not even the bathroom. My girlfriend and parents were volunteers at bike aid station #2. As I came over the hill I was the last rider and the police were following me. This is not the first time I have had this happen to me. As I passed them without grabbing anything at 30mph they yelled at me to keep pushing. I hit the second cutoff at about 4pm. There it was... an hour and a half to go 20 miles to make the 5:30pm cutoff time. Coming back my girlfriend and parents passed me cheering me on and honking the horn down the road. I hit Rio Salado tucked in the aero position and was grinding a whole 9.5 mph. I made the right to go over the bridge and looked at my watch and it was 5:30pm!!! I didn't stop just tucked and dropped a gear and ground it out..... I got to the dismount line 11 minutes too late. The guy looked scared to tell me he was sorry but I could not continue the race. My answer was what was the wind speed today and he replied 45mph and it even blew one of the tents over. I just smiled and said ok. As I got off my bike and he took off my chip another guy asked if I was going to do it again next year and I said yes! People on the sides just gave me positive remarks. This morning I finished signing up for next year's IMAZ at 10:15am. You learn something new each race!! Be proud, You worked hard for over ten hours and never quit! See you there next year!!

Yes! I remember you out there! I had just passed the turnaround on the beeline and was heading into the wind...I coudn't have been more than a few minutes ahead of you at that point. I was the gal in the purple jersey. I yelled to everyone that I saw to keep going, they could make it to the 2nd cutoff. But that 3rd loop and at 4PM the winds were stronger than before. I'm so glad to hear you fought all the way to the end too. And that you signed up for IMAZ for next year. WE WILL beat this thing next year!

2007-04-17 5:06 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
After reading that, I am remembering a thread from many many moons ago that had an article link of the woman from Tucson who missed the 17 hour cutoff at IM New Zealand by 45 seconds and the following year finished with 45 minutes to spare.  You’ll ROCK next year!!!!
2007-04-17 5:08 PM
in reply to: #765316

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

azkd - 2007-04-17 12:42 PM

Our station closed down and we (me and boyfriends parents) got in my car and drove down the beeline towards Shea. We saw Jeff coming back the other way. The winds were so bad at times that we couldn't see the other side of the road because of the dust. We turned around and headed back towards Tempe. As we passed Jeff and other riders we put our windows down, shook our bells, blew the horn and yelled for them to keep going. They never stopped. 

I remember seeing you in the car...you rang your bell for me! Thank you ....thank you so much! It means so much to have people cheering for the strugglers at the end. Just knowing someone else is out there in the elements and willing you to go forward means so much. I know it must be hard for you too. Training for an IM takes a lot out of the spouses/significant others that I'm sure they feel the disappointment and defeat as well. I had to talk to my husband before officially signing up for next year's race. I asked him "Are you sure you can take another year of me training for an IM?" But he knew I had to do this. Triathlon isn't a solo sport. Getting through the training is a team effort, and the emotional support means so much.

Thank you so much for volunteering out there! To stand out there and be sand blasted while handing up supplies as people whiz by for several hours is really appreciated. We couldn't have gotten as far as we did without you! I hope you'll get some recovery time as well.

2007-04-17 6:23 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

PirateGirl,

My hat is off to you and all the athletes who battled all day in brutal conditions.
I was out there all day volunteering, and I saw and talked to many people who were not able to complete the race due to missing cutoff times, or being so hammered from fighting the wind on the bike.

There were ALOT of people who either crashed from the wind, or got so dehydrated from fighting the wind that they were transported to the hospital, or could not make the cutoff despite heroic efforts. 

I talked to a guy from NJ who missed the bike cutoff by 3 minutes.  He and his wife traveled from NJ for his first IM, and he was also terribly disappointed. 

I told him the same thing I had already said to more than one other person: "Take this day, and remember it....use it as a positive...when you prepare/race your next IM it will pay HUGE dividends".

I know someone who DNF's their 1st IM.  Two years later he was in Kona.  He said that DNF gave him an extra fire that burned so hot that he just tore it up every time he trained/raced after that.

On Sunday, I was walking up Rio Salado and had to lean way forward into the wind to keep going.  I just knew that the bike course had to be insane at that moment.

I congratulate you on toughing it out and your passion that was so evident when you learned that you would not be allowed to continue.

I'm racing CDA in June, and I'm going to use your example of determination and desire to help motivate me over the tough stretches.

BTW, I hadn't thought much about 2008 yet, but after reading these posts, I signed up for IMAZ 2008 - I just want to be out there with you and the others when you guys tear it up next year.

Danny 

2007-04-17 7:28 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Pirate Girl,  I don't really know what to say.  I am doing my first SPRINT TRI and I am worried and you did 2.4 and 112.  My gosh,  I am worried about 400 yd, 12 mile and a 3 mile run.  I will be thinking of you and your determination just to make sure I finish.

GREAT JOB!!!! 

2007-04-18 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
PirateGirl - A 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike would be a lifetime achievement in most people's books.  Of course you aspire to even more than that, and it's likely you will get it.  Next year's IM will be all the more sweeter when you cross that finish line. 
2007-04-18 3:09 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I think you did an amazing job out there.  You have nothing to be embarrassed about and everything to be proud of.  What you did is incredible and harder than anything I can think of doing.  Congratulations on deciding to sign up next year!
2007-04-18 4:08 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Let me just say this....

I just got off my bike after riding about 15.5 miles of rolling hills in a brisk wind (around 20 mph + gusts).

I couldn't stop thinking about the ride all of you IMAZ guys just did and how it was SO much harder conditions than what I was riding in today (not to mention it was a piddly 15.5 miles).

It defintely gave me a stronger resolve to ride harder, thinking about PirateGirl's (and other's) epic ride over the weekend.

So PirateGirl, if its OK with you, I plan to shanghai some incentive from your heroic efforts as I continue my own training

Thanks,

Dan

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm not an Ironman (IMAZ=DNF) Rss Feed  

of 5