Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Desmonds Timeline? LOST Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-19 1:04 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Desmonds Timeline? LOST

It wasn't Penny!!!!

Jeepers Creepers!   Ok he's been kicked out of the military, and the monkestry (that's probably not the right word).   Can anyone give me a timeline of Desmond....He is so convuluted.

I would like to taste that wine they had   100 Quid per bottle. 

And Hurley is still too overweight.....He has to shed some poundage.

Interesting show, but stillllllllll.....no closure.

2007-04-19 1:24 AM
in reply to: #767817

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Desmonds Timeline? LOST
Also I have a hard time understanding what the heck Desmond or Charly say....SPEAK ENGLISH ....please.
2007-04-19 8:33 AM

Master
The show last night didn't really explain a whole lot, but it was good.

I was reading up on a really wacky theory on Kate, but it proved to be very interesting -

It’s more of a series of “What Ifs.” Now that we know (from last episode) that The Others possess implants that can mess up someone’s physiology if remotely triggered, what if:
* Kate secretly works for Christian Shephard, who may be Ben’s boss.
* Stewardess Cindy (or someone else) on the 815 slipped something into the “not very strong drink” Cindy gave Jack?
* Kate, immediately following the crash of 815, went to the jungle to inject the unconscious Jack with an implant?
* Kate was interrupted (by a wandering Arzt or Nikki or a polar bear) before she could prepare Jack’s injection, and quickly cut a hole in Jack’s back?
* Kate, on the beach, used her curtain-hemming skills to sew the implant into the now-conscious Jack’s back early in the pilot?
* Kate was so hot to recover the tiny toy plane because it contains the trigger for Jack’s implant?
* Kate made sweet love to Sawyer specifically to expedite Ben’s plan to manipulate Jack?
2007-04-19 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

I'm thinking that the rest of the season is going to revolve around Sun and her baby.  I don't see many questions answered in the next 5 episodes.  For some reason, I'm expecting some disappointment in not really knowing anything until next season.

2007-04-19 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Wasn't that chick they found the other person in the plane with Penny from the season finale last year?
2007-04-19 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA

Don't know about his timeline, but one interesting thing that I noticed was that the picture the head monk had on his desk was a picture of him with the same woman that was in Desmond's last backstory--the one that sold him the engagement ring.

My wife heard an interesting theory.  What if the put Kate and Sawyer in the cage to have them "mate."  We know that the inability to have kids on the island is now one of the central themes.  The others need subjects to experiment on that aren't their people.  They dressed kate up in a pretty dress; made her prance around in front of Sawyer all day; put them under tremendous stress; and then put them in a cage together.  Its like trying to mate two animals at the zoo.

2007-04-19 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

This was a good episode, definitely not filler like the Hurley one a few weeks ago. I'd get rid of any expectations of closure. It won't come this season.

Any guesses when they're going to reveal that Locke's father was the original "Sawyer"? I hope it's not in the season finale. It's too obvious to be an end of season thing.

2007-04-19 10:17 AM
in reply to: #768121

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
marmadaddy - 2007-04-19 9:00 AM

This was a good episode, definitely not filler like the Hurley one a few weeks ago. I'd get rid of any expectations of closure. It won't come this season.

Any guesses when they're going to reveal that Locke's father was the original "Sawyer"? I hope it's not in the season finale. It's too obvious to be an end of season thing.

What do you mean by the original "Sawyer"?

2007-04-19 10:32 AM

User image

Buttercup

Does anyone have a theory about our main characters' characters? Let's review the Commandments they've broken or Deadly Sins they've committed:

Jack (unrepentant): Honor your father. Deadly sin of Pride. (Also, he trusts women who betray him)

Sawyer (unrepentant): You shall not kill. You shall not steal. Deadly Sins: Pride, Lust, Wrath

Kate (unrepentant): You shall not kill. Deadly Sin: Envy

Charlie: Deadly Sin: Gluttony (drugs). He's cleaned up so does that make him repentant?

Locke: Not sure on this. He trusts men who betray him.

Hurley: Deadly Sin: Gluttony

Jin: You shall not murder (or be a hired thug for your FIL)

Sun: You shall not commit adultery

Echo (given 1 last chance to repent and did not): You shall not murder

Anna Lucia (unrepentant): You shall not murder

Walt (unrepentant): You shall not murder

I think penance has something to do with the story arc even though nobody really talks in biblical terms. It's too much a part of their backstories to be irrelevant and it has everything to do with why The Others considered them unworthy.

Would be interested in your opinions/observations/thoughts.

2007-04-19 10:59 AM
in reply to: #768327

User image

Master
Denver
Renee - 2007-04-19 9:32 AM

Does anyone have a theory about our main characters' characters? Let's review the Commandments they've broken or Deadly Sins they've committed:

Jack (unrepentant): Honor your father. Deadly sin of Pride. (Also, he trusts women who betray him)

Sawyer (unrepentant): You shall not kill. You shall not steal. Deadly Sins: Pride, Lust, Wrath

Kate (unrepentant): You shall not kill. Deadly Sin: Envy

Charlie: Deadly Sin: Gluttony (drugs). He's cleaned up so does that make him repentant?

Locke: Not sure on this. He trusts men who betray him.

Hurley: Deadly Sin: Gluttony

Jin: You shall not murder (or be a hired thug for your FIL)

Sun: You shall not commit adultery

Echo (given 1 last chance to repent and did not): You shall not murder

Anna Lucia (unrepentant): You shall not murder

I think penance has something to do with the story arc even though nobody really talks in biblical terms. It's too much a part of their backstories to be irrelevant and it has everything to do with why The Others considered them unworthy.

Would be interested in your opinions/observations/thoughts.

It does seem more and more like the plane was a load of miscreants, huh? They all seem to have done some pretty bad things in their past but they all seem to have a good side that at least recognizes their shortcoming, if not want to make up for it. There have been a few religious undertones that keep popping up, such as the story of Abraham so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

My current thinking is that the Others project might have something to do with repopulating the earth after some kind of disaster - hence the emphasis on solving the pregnancy problems and only being interested in the "good" survivers. I'm really curious to find out what happened to the Dharma project and how the Others ended up replacing them since we know that the Dharma Initiative's objective was preventing the end of the world (which is another feature common to all religions).
2007-04-19 11:10 AM
in reply to: #768385

User image

Buttercup

drewb8 - 2007-04-19 11:59 AM 

It does seem more and more like the plane was a load of miscreants, huh? They all seem to have done some pretty bad things in their past but they all seem to have a good side that at least recognizes their shortcoming, if not want to make up for it.

That had been my thinking (good works to make up for the past) until I saw the episode where Echo died. He had the chance to repent - and he refused. The subsequent episodes have shown backstories where our character could have/should have repented but did not. So, I started thinking more along the lines of penance which is where true salvation lies (according to the Christian story) vs good works. Echo appeared to be doing goood works - he was building a church, remember? But ultimately, he did not repent his sins even when he was the black smoke was whupping his azz.

Oh, I forgot to mention Sayid. Repentant or not? When he was kidnapped, he refused to admit his sins. He's always ready to torture. I think that means he's still a lost soul. Hey - Lost!

2007-04-19 11:35 AM
in reply to: #768413

User image

Master
Denver
Renee - 2007-04-19 10:10 AM

drewb8 - 2007-04-19 11:59 AM 

It does seem more and more like the plane was a load of miscreants, huh? They all seem to have done some pretty bad things in their past but they all seem to have a good side that at least recognizes their shortcoming, if not want to make up for it.

That had been my thinking (good works to make up for the past) until I saw the episode where Echo died. He had the chance to repent - and he refused. The subsequent episodes have shown backstories where our character could have/should have repented but did not. So, I started thinking more along the lines of penance which is where true salvation lies (according to the Christian story) vs good works. Echo appeared to be doing goood works - he was building a church, remember? But ultimately, he did not repent his sins even when he was the black smoke was whupping his azz.

Oh, I forgot to mention Sayid. Repentant or not? When he was kidnapped, he refused to admit his sins. He's always ready to torture. I think that means he's still a lost soul. Hey - Lost!

I don't think it's as simple as the people on the island are there just to make up for something they have done in the past, unless its part of some experiment to see if people can change their ways and therefore be suitable for repopulation. Is there a concept of repentance in other religions, say hinduism or taoism, for example, which also feature prominently in the show? One of the major themes of the show is the fate / free will tug of war and I think that is a more important consideration. Boone seemed to at least try to do the right thing and seemed decent enough, yet he was offed by the island.
2007-04-19 12:01 PM
in reply to: #768451

User image

Buttercup

What I meant by "That had been my thinking (good works to make up for the past) until I saw the episode where Echo died." was that the appearance of good works on the island made the characters more sympathetic to the audience which I think was a bit of a trick that was played on us. The storytellers are making a point to show us that these people have not repented for their sins - which means that they are still lost souls. I think there is something to this angle, though I'm not sure what. Anyone? Anyone?

Along the lines of free will, penance must come freely.

2007-04-19 12:04 PM
in reply to: #768385

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
drewb8 - 2007-04-19 8:59 AM

You mean Michael don't you...I don't remember Walt, his son, commiting any murder while on the Island, but maybe I am wrong.  But Michale killed two people...

2007-04-19 12:08 PM
in reply to: #768516

User image

Buttercup
runningwoof - 2007-04-19 1:04 PM 

You mean Michael don't you...I don't remember Walt, his son, commiting any murder while on the Island, but maybe I am wrong.  But Michale killed two people...

Yeah, yeah. Michael.

Edited by Renee 2007-04-19 12:10 PM
2007-04-19 12:47 PM
in reply to: #768281

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
triingforsept07 - 2007-04-19 11:17 AM
marmadaddy - 2007-04-19 9:00 AM

What do you mean by the original "Sawyer"?

The character's real name is James Ford. He took the name "Sawyer" from the guy that conned his parents, leading his father to kill his mother and then commit suicide. His life's goal has been to hunt down and kill the original Sawyer.

2007-04-19 12:59 PM
in reply to: #767826

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
BellinghamSpence - 2007-04-19 2:24 AM

Also I have a hard time understanding what the heck Desmond or Charly say....SPEAK ENGLISH ....please.

heh, just be glad Desmond isn't from Shetland or somewhere in the far north of Scotland...even the Scots don't understand them.

BTW, I looooooove his accent. It makes me all melty like.

And cheers for the mentions of (Glasgow) Celtic twice over! (the former GF and the song he's singing when he's getting pissed is a Celtic FC cheer.)

Edited by phoenixazul 2007-04-19 12:59 PM
2007-04-19 2:17 PM
in reply to: #768614

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

phoenixazul - 2007-04-19 9:59 AM
BellinghamSpence - 2007-04-19 2:24 AM Also I have a hard time understanding what the heck Desmond or Charly say....SPEAK ENGLISH ....please.
heh, just be glad Desmond isn't from Shetland or somewhere in the far north of Scotland...even the Scots don't understand them. BTW, I looooooove his accent. It makes me all melty like. And cheers for the mentions of (Glasgow) Celtic twice over! (the former GF and the song he's singing when he's getting pissed is a Celtic FC cheer.)

I should have taped it and rewound the parts where they talk.  

Desmond's Timeline:  Was engaged to marry the one girl.  But watched some Soccer match at a pub .  Decided not to get married,  went into a Abbey to become a monk? (doesn't that take a long time?)  Got Punched in nose by a brother of the ex girlfriend,   met Penny.   Went into the army?  Got dishonor discharge.  Broke up with Penny.  Met Libby, used her boat for a round the world race....got on the island.   There 3 years or so with the one guy who was a CIA operative for Sayad.....

Or Something like that....I hope someday this is all  figured out.

2007-04-19 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Denver
from Lostpedia:

The hula doll found in the jungle looks like Hurley's doll in his Hummer.

The copy of Catch-22 found in the jungle was titled in Portuguese (Ardil-22), the same language the men were speaking in the listening station at the end of the season 2 finale.

A "Catch-22" refers to a no-win situation or a double bind. The literary sense is a situation in which two situations depend on each other to occur. In this episode it refers to the predestination paradox - Desmond only goes on the mission because he sees flashes of him doing so. But the flashes wouldn't have occurred unless he had gone on the mission.

Desmond and Penny speak of a place called Carlisle, a city in the north-west of England, close to the border of Scotland. The homonym Carlyle was Boone's surname.

The arrow pierces Charlie's neck in the flashback, while the actual arrow pierces the neck of Charlie's guitar.

Superman and the Flash actually did have a foot race once. The Flash won because Superman stopped to help someone in need.

Desmond sings The Celtic song, theme song for the Celtic football team, which is sung to the tune of Pirates of Penzance's "With cat-like tread, upon our prey we steal".
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Desmonds Timeline? LOST Rss Feed