Set-Up Inc
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clydsdales
Age Group Rank = 16/33
Pre-race routine:

I really wanted to do everything right that I might have done wrong at my first triathlon. I trained through the week, but more lightly and I did a quick adjustment to my bike fit on Friday evening, but rode afterwords to make sure it worked for me.
I ate breakfast when I woke up, and I sipped Cytomax on the drive across town to the race site.
Event warmup:

I set up my transition area and helped my wife set hers up. Then I took the bike out for a couple of miles to get my legs working. After that I ran an easy mile at about an 11 minute pace to make sure my body was ready to work.
Swim
  • 04m 45s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

From my swim background, I seem to go anearobic during the first 75 yards. I spent the rest of the swim trying to bring my heart rate back into control. Spacing worked out well for me. there was a big logjam ahead of me, but I didn't catch it, so I had a free and clear swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need to keep my heart rate steady throughout the swim. That would probably conserve energy as well as get me out of the water :15-:30 seconds faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

I wasn't rushing through the Transition. I wanted to be sure my mind was set once I started biking, since that was where I had my problem last time.

Once I get more experience in triathlons, I think I can move a little faster and save some time here.
Bike
  • 40m 1s
  • 12.1 miles
  • 18.14 mile/hr

I still need more time in the saddle to really reach my potential. I was very pleased with my cycling in relationship to last race, but I did do well, so I am not complaining.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

I was very tired after the bike leg. While running into T2, I was slipping on my cleats. I still didn't hammer the Transition, basically because I was tired and didn't want to forget anything.

Practice, and get more overall race confidence.
Run
  • 31m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I was tired starting my run. I got into my groove quickly off the bike, but my HR was high, so I slowed down to get it under control. About halfway through the run, I felt like I could kick it in and go faster, but then we hit the hills and it kept my pace down.
I walked through the water station at the turnaround to get hydration, and I kept moving the whole way.
I passed nobody on the run, but at times I felt like I was in the middle of a stampede with all the gazelles passing my like I was standing still.

I am still a novice runner. When I get stronger, I will run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

My wife and Mandy7741 met me at the finish line. We walked back to the start so they could get ready to race. then I got water and food and kicked around while the others raced.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I did how I should based on my conditioning and experience. It will never be good enough, but if I ever race the perfect race, all I will have left to do is retire.

I finished in the top half of my classification, which was great. If they would have had a Master Clydsdale category, I would have been 6/18 or top third.

Event comments:

This was an excellent race. I definitely will do this race again.
My wife, Julie did this race, and she finished in 1:37:28. Afterwards, she said she didn't enjoy it, but later in the day, said she could see doing one Tri a year.

Last updated: 2007-02-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:45 | 300 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/33
Overall: 33/
Performance: Average
My actual swim split was 4:15 or a 1:25 minute pace per 100 yards.
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Zig Zag up and down the pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:40:01 | 12.1 miles | 18.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/33
Performance: Good
Let me start by saying I was very nervous about the bike leg after Azelea. And to top it off, my quads were sore from earlier week workouts. I started out and got up to speed ok. I stayed in the aero position about 60-70% of the race, which helped with the winds. I actually passed about 8 people, which was great, because I started the bike somewhere between 45 and 50 with the TT start in the pool. I think I was passed by 3-4 people, all of whom passed me like I was standing still (can you say speedy?). Overall, I think this bike course was excellent, with the exception of the 50 yards from the timing pad to the mount/dismount line. Also, I think the ride was closer to 12.1 or 12.2 miles.
Wind: Strong
Course: The course was a nice kind of counterclockwise rectangle, with rolling hills and a decent double climb around mile 10.5.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:31:32 | 03.11 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/33
Performance: Average
Course: Course was down around a pond on running sidewalks and then through a neighborhood. It was freaking hilly, and it whooped my butt.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-29 3:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon

2007-04-29 5:05 PM
in reply to: #780559

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Riverwood Sprint Triathlon
GREAT RACE! WOOHOO!! You're a freaking FISH! Awesome job on the bike and run, too!

I want to be slow like you when I grow up!
2007-04-29 5:23 PM
in reply to: #780606

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

Wow, that was a fast swim! My wife said you went from racer to photographer, she didn't even know you had raced.

2007-04-29 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Great race!  That swim time was awesome.  You will be out of the water and half way through the bike at White Lake before I finish the swim portion!!  Good job
2007-04-30 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great race and that is great your wife raced also. You got the whole family out racing now.
2007-04-30 9:46 AM

Veteran
Greensboro, North Carolina
Great race and way to improve on your cycling from your last race.

2007-04-30 10:41 AM

Great race and that's so cool that your wife did it too. It's fun to enjoy things together.. I bet she would say she would do another race this year.. just give her by the end of the day today or until the soreness goes away!
2007-05-01 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina

Great job dude! Tell Julie that she did a great job too! I hope her and your son stay involved with it, it's awesome that you are making it a family affair. I told Julie to check out kidsintraining.com to find some awesome kids tris for your son.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Riverwood Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed