NJRRC
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 55m 25s
Overall Rank = 1492/1612
Age Group = F30-35
Age Group Rank = 73/82
Pre-race routine:

Checked out of the hotel and drove to the site. I had my HR monitor on and man, was it high. Breakfast in the car was a mini whole wheat bagel with peanut butter that I had to choke down. Nerves got the better of me. I took 1 immodium and 2 Advil pre-race.
Event warmup:

No warmup. Walked around, stood in the bathroom line, then finally gave up.
Run
  • 5h 55m 25s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

My first half was phenominal. I ran for 12, walked for 3. It was hard at first to walk and watch all those people pass me but I I had to keep reminding myself to run my own race and that I had a long way to go. No reason to screw it up at the start.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. I sprinted to the finish when I saw my friends (they had all gotten done LONG before me), got my medal and hat and put on some warmer clothes. Shortly thereafter we drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am not a strong runner. I need to run more and push myself to go faster on training runs. More time and miles should help.

Event comments:

It had its strong and weak points. This was my first marathon so I can't compare it to anything, I can only make observations. Support for the marathoners died down significantly at the 13.1 mark. As I started loop 2 I didn't know where to go. The boardwalk was packed with 1/2ers and all the spectaters, there was no clear course for the next 1/2 mile or so. Also when I was nearing the last few miles, some of the cones were being removed from the intersections (There was still over an hour left in the race) so mentally that was a challenge. Nothing like feeling that you're going to be left out on your own because of being slow. Anf finally at the last sugary food station I heard one volunteer say something to the effect of "these people coming through now are just walking". Man did that piss me off. I came back with "at this point we're surviving". I may have been slow but at no time did I stop. Last week I was afraid I would get pulled from the course, instead I did it with over an hour to spare. I own that race- it's mine, I did it!
My nutrition was a shot block and swig of gatorade every 15 minutes. Well, that held up until mile 18 I guess. Honestly if I had to eat another I would have thrown up. BLECH! Other than that I had 1/2 banana, 4 orange segments throughout and 2 more Tylenol. I hooked up with some runners with similar abilities which was nice. Best of all though was the group of us that went down. Andy (my husband) kicked butt in 3:25, Steve (sgillen- check out his blog) was next at 4:12, Christine came in at 4:43, and Ed finished in 4:56. Ed and Chriistine had bad races according to them. All in all, I had a great time, what more could I say. Other than next time- different sleeping arrangements. But that's another store entirely....

Last updated: 2007-02-07 12:00 AM
Running
05:55:25 | 26.2 miles | 13m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/82
Overall: 1492/1612
Performance: Good
First half took me 2:43:32, second half was 3:11:53. My heart rate was 157 (on average).
Course: Two loops through Long Branch NJ. We started on the Boardwalk and ran through town and finished up along the promenade. The start/finish area was gorgeous.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %unk
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-30 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Subject: New Jersey Marathon

2007-04-30 7:50 PM
in reply to: #782173

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: New Jersey Marathon
Way to go!!

Tough course to pick as your first. Well, the course was good, but the fact that you have to do it a second time...bleagh! I did the full myself, and came through miles 12-13 in way-to-fast pace because of the cheering and everything, but then starting the second loop, it was dead quiet. Sorry to hear that they started to pack things up - that is demoralizing, but you kept at it and that's a great accomplishment!

You got it right that if you want to improve, you have to run more. Just keep a long run going (2 hours or so) - don't worry about speed. Soon enough, you're going to see it becomes easier and your pace will automatically pick up.

Good luck with your next marathon! (alright you didn't mention you would, but c'mon...you know it's gonna happen, right?)

2007-04-30 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Congrats on your first marathon.  The first time at a new distance is always a big learning experience.  Way to hang in there and run your own race.  Great job!

Ernie

2007-05-01 6:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Welcome to THE CLUB! Great job! Now you're a MARATHONER!!!!!!! Sounds like you had a great time, even when thrown some obsticles, but the marathon IS a obsticle, and you overcame it and finished!!!!!! Had fun reading your report.
2007-05-03 2:49 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Congrats on completing your first marathon!  They can take away the cones, but take away tour spirit!  Rest those legs now.
2007-05-05 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

congratulations, MARATHONER!

I would have said something to that volunteer too - walking or running, its still a marathon and you did great!

will you do another?

2007-05-05 11:27 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Great job on your first marathon!!!  Wish I knew you were running!! Me and OceanAnnie were running the 5:30 Pace group.  She was an official pacer...I was just keeping here company.    So when's the next marathon?!?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Marathon Rss Feed