View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Panama City Beach, Florida
United States
Total Time = 5h 57m 50s
Overall Rank = 709/1646
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 94/159
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am, had an Ensure, oatmeal and green tea. Drove over to a condo closer than mine and met Tony (tribesman) and Matt. Walked to Boardwalk and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Swam about 400 yards to get the blood pumping.
Swim
  • 38m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I intentionally started out slow because I had a habit of going all out and loosing steam. This worked well for me as the current on the return leg kept pulling me back. I fought through it and the rest of the swim was good.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on my swim. This was my first HIM and first ocean swim in a race. I have been working on my swim and finally came in under 2min/100yards.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

This included the run from the beach. For T1, I was 18th in my A/G so I am very happy with it, especially with wetsuit removal.

One mistake here, I started to put on my shoes before my helmet and sunglasses, like I practiced. I put on my right shoe, realized I forgot my helmet, put it on, then my left shoe.
Bike
  • 2h 44m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I had heard stories about 15mph headwinds from people who had done this race before. Fortunately, I think I only encountered 5-10mph headwinds occasionally. I was very happy with my ride. My goal was to average 20mph and I managed an average of 20.5mph.

Nothing but continue to work on my cycling.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

WOW!!! My A/G rank on T2 was 9th! I have to thank Tony for helping me with the flying dismount.

For the flying dismount, I did what has been working for me by swinging my right leg behind my left leg which causes me to take a stutter step off the bike. I need to work on bringing the right leg in front of the left leg.
Run
  • 2h 30m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

The "Keeping cool:" tab needs an "Are You Kidding" option!

I now know why this race is called Gulf ROAST. But the volunteers were great! I also made it on the official race video during the run. Probably because I saw the cameraman ahead of time and forced a smile when I passed him.

More run and MENTAL training. The run is the weakest part of my racing. I left T2 about 30 minutes ahead of my plan. With that cushion, I wonder if, in the back of my mind, I took it easy on the run and only beat my goal by a couple of minutes instead of 15, 20 or even 30 minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the athletes area for some water. Long line for the pizza (waiting for the next Domino's delivery) so I decided to skip. Went back to transition and mixed up some Endurox and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to work on my mental training to stay more focused during the run. It was my first HIM and I was actually enjoying the race, heat and all. But I probably could have done better on the run if I were more focused.

Event comments:

This race completes my first year of triathlon. I have come a long way since my first race at Indian Springs June 06, followed by Tri-PTC, and the Disney Oly. I am very happy with the results and look forward to the rest of this season.

I also have to say thanks to Tony as my official, unofficial coach. I also have to apologize to him for the crash I caused the day before the race due to some miscommunication on my part. Our training plan called for a 30 min swim, 20 bike, and 10 min run on Friday. Fortunately, after a trip to a clinic, he was able to race. For full details, be sure to read tribesman's report when he posts.

Last updated: 2007-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:41 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/159
Overall: 0/1646
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Fluid Drive
Course: Rectangular, 950 yards out, 200 yards across, 950 yards in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:44:03 | 56 miles | 20.48 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back. Thomas drive for about 2.5 miles, turnaround, past start to Front Beach Rd, right on Hwy 79, over "Boondock" bridge, right on Hwy 388 to turnaround and return.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:30:46 | 13.1 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back through PCB, neighborhoods and St. Andrews Park.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-15 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2007-05-15 11:29 AM
in reply to: #801135

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon

Good job on your first HIM!

Now the truth comes out about what REALLY happened to Tony!!

2007-05-15 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Congrats on your first 1/2IM. . Your transitions are fast!!
2007-05-16 7:07 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Great job Craig and I KNEW you would go sub-6 hours! You are welcome but you had to do all of the work...I just made a few suggestions along the way.

Tony
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed