United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 17s
Overall Rank = 148/299
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

I was not very concerned about this race - mostly viewing it as an opportunity for a good brick training session. I just wanted to have fun and see what my base is like this season vs. last year. Didn't prep very much yesterday, just went to bed early. Got up around 5:15, and took my sweet time getting ready. Went over to Dave's to get my bike & wetsuit (I store them there since he has more space), and then we drove over to the park.
Event warmup:

Just took the bike for a couple minute ride to make sure my brakes weren't rubbing, and that I was in a good starting gear. Other than that, just walked around talking to people and setting up my transition. This year was much more fun that last because I actually knew some people there. :)
Swim
  • 10m 59s
  • 537 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started too far on the outside. I think I'm a pretty decent swimmer (at least FOMOP) so I should have started in a more aggressive position and pushed it to get out ahead. Lesson learned... it seemed to take forever to get closer in to the bouys. And I did not enjoy the first half of this swim. I felt a little constricted in the wetsuit. Towards the end of the stretch out, I pulled inside to the bouys and swam right along them from the turnaround back to the shore.
What would you do differently?:

I didn't push this as much as I should have. If I'd only started a little more inside, I think I could have broken 2:00/100. Maybe next time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

For the first time, I remembered to pull off my cap/goggles as I was running out of the water. Also got my wetsuit top off easily. I felt great running into transition and saw one of my coworkers there cheering me on (her husband was racing as well). At my bike, I sat down and got my wetsuit off in record time (I was worried about that), quickly dusted the sand off my feet, and then remebered that I needed to put some vaseline on my toes... They've been hurting the past few days from friction, so I decided to slather them before the bike and run, but as I've never done that before, I forgot to get the tube out and ready to go. It was still wrapped up in a plastic bag inside my transition bag. :( I wasted a fair amount of time searching for that, but once I had it, I was up and out pretty quickly.

Put the vaseline tube right next to my socks/shoes. But even though it added maybe 30 seconds, I'm glad I used it!
Bike
  • 35m 45s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 19.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I had really high hopes for this bike... I have been riding out at Heritage Park a lot for the last few weeks, so I'm familiar with the course, and my goal was to break 18 mph ave for the bike.

I was feeling really good from the get-go. Passed lots of people on the first lap (especially up the first set of hills- that felt great!). I was really annoyed, though, because it got really congested there. People were not staying to the right, and lots of us were forced to pass on the other side of the double-yellow lines. Luckily, this is not a USAT race, and the street was closed, so it wasn't dangerous and we wouldn't get DQ'ed but it was the principle! So annoying!

So everything was going really well- I only got passed by a couple ladies and the speed demon guys on their tri bikes with the disc wheels, so I was feeling pretty darn good about myself. Then, in the second half... ugh... starting up the big hill again, I downshifted into the little gear to start spinning, and when I tried to shift in the rear ring, it wouldn't work. :( CRAP! This happened a couple weeks ago, so I knew exactly what was happening. The screw holding my bar-end shifters was coming out... AGAIN! :( I tried to tighten it while I was riding, to no avail. Then I tried just holding it in, but that was not use... to my dismay, I watched the screw vibrate off and fall away. Double-CRAP! I am not a cursing lady, but I did then! So I'm halfway through the bike, and my shifter's broken. :(

By now I'm paranoid about popping my chain off... I tried to shift only a couple more times, but each time, the chain would just pop around, and end up in the little rings in the back & front. I could have shifted to the big ring up front, but then I would have been in my highest gear the whole time, and I don't think I could have kept that up. So I just resigned myself to staying in my current gear, and finished as best I could.
Despite the shifting issues, I felt like I was doing really well, and keeping my speed up. I thought I still might have had a chance of meeting my goal of 18 mph. I didn't wear a watch, so I had to wait for them to post the results online. But when I checked the website, it had my average as 16.8 mph. So disappointing! That's slower than my training rides lately. :(

But then I entered my time here on BT and hit the calculate button - imagine my surprise when 19.3 mph popped up! It was only then that I realized that the 16.8 mph online is based on a distance of 10 miles, but the race bike was actually 11.5 miles. So I'm stoked! This is my fastest ride EVER! :) :) :)

uh, not be riding a single-speed for half the course? ;)

Seriously, next time I am going to go over my bike with a fine-tooth comb and tighten that crap out of everything. I'll chalk this one up to another learning experience.

Despite the mechanical problems, I am really happy with my bike split.

Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

T2 was ok. I could have been much faster, but I was messing around with my shoelaces for waaaay too long. I thought about putting Yankz on last night - I've had a pair for months, but never got around to putting them on my shoes. But I decided against it... you know, nothing new on race day. I've never used them before and probably would have found a way to mess them up. :)
I changed socks in T2 and added more vaseline to my toes. Glad I did that. Put on my race # belt and headed out.

Just have Yankz on my shoes.
Run
  • 24m 43s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was actually my first brick of the year. oops. I'd forgotten what it felt like to get off the bike and run! My lower shins really hurt for the first couple of miles, and I felt incredibly slow. I would have put my pace somewhere around 10:00 based on RPE, but looking at my actual time, it must have been due to the effort on the bike. Other than my lower legs hurting, I was feeling really good and strong out there.

I finally saw some other BTers (VeganMan, IKENTRI, and Petetring) for the first time on the run course. Ryan (VeganMan) blew past me in mile 3. He was really smokin'! I thought, "When he catches up to me, I'll speed it up and try to stay with him." Yeah, right, I was able to do that for about 5 seconds from when he passed me before he was gone! haha :) The rest of the run was pretty uneventful. I kept a steady pace until some random lady yelled, "Finish strong, girl!" on the home stretch, so I kicked it in and sprinted the last .1 mile.

Overall, I'm happy with my run time. I probably could have run faster if my shins didn't hurt so bad, but the pain wouldn't have been worth it.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walking around and talking to people. We got a finisher's medal for this race, so that was cool. I hadn't received one at a tri before.
I found Dave and Grace, and he told me that she was very bad & barked the whole time, but she looked so innocent when I finished. I told him that she was just cheering for her momma! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mechanical issues on the bike... people clogging the road on the bike... my achin' shins. That's about it. For my first race of the year, I can't complain. I did this race so much faster that the ones last year, and am psyched about that. I can't wait to do the course at my very fist tri again in August, and see the difference a year makes.

Event comments:

This was a fun race, and a great way to kick off the season. The weather was great, there were tons of volunteers, and I felt sufficiently trained. This race has an easygoing atmosphere, too. Some of the KC Multisport people did the race on "old school" chopper-style bikes & wearing only their tighty whities. One guy was dressed like Elvis too. And their transistions involved Krispy Kremes. I think this is a Heritage Park tri tradition. Maybe I should join them next year! This was a fun, fun race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:59 | 537 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 0/299
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion BodyGlide sleevless
Course: counter-clockwise rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:45 | 11.5 miles | 19.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/13
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Three loops around Heritage Park
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:43 | 03 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/13
Performance: Good
Course: 3 mile loop on a paved trail through the park (partially shaded)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: BikeSource Triathlon

2007-05-20 4:49 PM
in reply to: #808598

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: BikeSource Triathlon
You SHOULD be proud of that bike time. I wish I could be that fast at any distance!! Great race Linda.
2007-05-20 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
Wow! Nice race!

I completely understand about the passing thing. I even had to pass a couple of people on the right. Oh well...at least it was a closed course.
2007-05-20 7:28 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Wow I saw you bike time before I read the whole report and was amazed. Even more amazed when I read the whole thing! AWESOME! And you got a pink cap!

Nice way to start the season - can't wait to meet everyone at Topeka! My dog will be in Topeka so maybe he and Grace can keep each other busy :-)

Edited by lisac957 2007-05-20 7:29 PM
2007-05-21 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Good race report. I forgot about all the bikers clogging up Pflumm on the hillls. This being my first Tri, I just figured it was normal, but I kept thinking, "Why am I passing this person on the right, why are they riding right in the middle of the road?"

I think you did great and I agree on the swimming thing too.
2007-05-22 10:18 AM

User image

Awesome Job Linda!!! Very detailed race report and note to myself :  Stay on the freakin right side of the road   

Way to overcome your shifter issues on the bike and persevere through the run.  Nice Job!

2007-05-22 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas

good race!!! look at that bike time!!!!!! What is your next race?

2007-05-22 12:55 PM

User image

New user

AWESOME JOB, LINDA! You had great times - you were super fast! Hopefully, I'll see you at the next race you have - the Topeka Tinman?
2007-05-22 2:52 PM

Great race Linda, and great time!
2007-05-23 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
yep, Tinman (long) will be the next one for me. I don't know if we'll bring Grace or not, though. Dave was pretty embarrased that she was barking all the time, and said that she lost her triathlon privileges. hahaha We'll see...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BikeSource Triathlon Rss Feed