Lean Horse Productions
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 25m 11s
Overall Rank = 16/67
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

I got to the race site pretty early. I didn't know how long a drive it would be and I had to pick up my race packet for the half marathon first. But it was okay, several of my hashing friends were running/organizing it so I had people to talk to. I signed in, ate my bagel sandwich I had brought from Rapid, and stood around a bunch. About 25 minutes before we were going to get on the buses to go to the start I put my running shoes and HRM on. Stood around some more until the buses left to drive the 3.1 miles to the start. On the bus ride up I ended up sitting in front of two kids who had to play "how cool are we" the whole way to the start. Holy crap...if I heard one more "One time I was doing THIS really cool thing" I was going to turn around and tell them to shut up! THEN the little rugrats had NO manners and instead of letting the bus file out from the front like any polite person does, they jumped right up and into the aisle so I couldn't get out of my seat. Don't parents teach their kids manners anymore?
Event warmup:

None. I toyed with the idea of jogging around or even running the course backwards to the start but decided I didn't want to get TOO worn out before the half tomorrow. I figured I walked around a bit...that was my warmup.
Run
  • 25m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

The reason this race is called the Mickelson FAST 5k is because it is ALL downhill...from start to finish! My kinda race! I seeded myself about halfway back in the pack. Lots of the people in front of me were kids who didn't realize they shouldn't be starting on the front line. Whatever, I'm not in any hurry.
I jogged for awhile until I dodge around most of the crowd then I just tried to settle into a "hard" even pace. It really was downhill so I was trying to let gravity work for me. The first mile zipped by. The second mile felt slower but it wasn't quite as downhill as the first mile. In fact, there was about a 100 foot stretch that I swear was actually FLAT. The splits show that. I passed at least two adults and two kids during this mile. Most of them seemed to be surging and dying. I am pretty sure my pace was pretty constant. I think I passed the kids when they had to stop to walk--typical kids...go out as hard as you can and don't walk until you think you are going to die. Third mile felt about the same as the second mile but I was definitely starting to feel tired. I had to consciously pick up the effort a little bit. I had been trailing a kid since early in the second mile. He kept turning around to see how close I was and every time I would close in he would sprint for a bit then slow down again. Finally he totally pulled up to a stop for about 10 seconds and I went by him. I could HEAR him behind me and I was a little worried because I was pretty sure he would sprint all out at the finish. But I guess I gained enough ground on him that by the finish line my slight speed-up was enough to edge him out. I don't think he was very far behind me. Have I sunk that low that I was excited about beating a kid? Very sad. Anyway, I picked up the pace for the last 0.1 miles but not by much...I don't do sprinting very well. I crossed the line and got my popsicle stick and was very surprised to see the number 16 on it. I thought there were WAY more people than that in front of me!

Lap splits with AHR/MHR
7:55/176/193
8:14/179/183
8:12/179/182
0:50/185/186
Overall AHR = 178. LT for me is 183. So I was TOTALLY slacking.
What would you do differently?:

Go harder. I was worried about dying off so I held back JUST a little bit.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around talking to the few people I knew there until the awards started.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training. Being a chicken.

Event comments:

This was a very small local race to benefit a local running camp for high school kids. I hadn't run a 5k in awhile and my friends were running it so I wanted to go and I had to drive up to Deadwood to get my race packet anyway. And it WAS fast--as advertised! The hardware was pretty neat...they took old railroad spikes and hand-painted them. Pretty neat--and I have the one that says, "Female 20-29 First Place." I don't think I have ever won my Age Group before at a race! Woohoo! :)

Last updated: 2007-05-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:11 | 03.11 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 16/67
Performance: Average
Course: Mickelson Trail from the Kirk Trailhead to the Deadwood Trailhead.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-02 10:29 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: Mickelson Fast 5k

2007-06-03 10:05 AM
in reply to: #827031

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Mickelson Fast 5k
WHOOP WHOOP Congratulations!!  SOOPER fast run there   Neating kids who race stopid is nothing to sneeze at
2007-06-04 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
NICE JOB JEN!!!  Way to go    And nice warm up for the half mary!!!
2007-06-04 2:41 PM

User image

What a way to start off June, numer uno!

For a second I thought the popsicle stick was your hardware, but the RR spike seems much cooler.
2007-06-05 9:49 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Congrats on winning the AG!!!  You are fast!

After Mooseman, I almost forgot what a downhill is like.  Cool to have a race that is all down hill. 

2007-06-05 1:17 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Congrats on the win!  A win is a win.  Doesn't Mike tell you that all the time!

2007-06-07 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Way to go on winning your AG!  For what it's worth, I don't think that you've stooped too low-I was hoping that you were going to beat the kid too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mickelson Fast 5k Rss Feed