General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 03m 43s
Overall Rank = 150/516
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/78
Pre-race routine:

Up just before 5. Had Two Clif Bars and a Banana. Drove out to the race with Jeff and Rhonda.
Event warmup:

Not too much. Did a little swimming, maybe 15-20yards at a time to acclimate to the lake water, so essentially not much of a "warm up".
Swim
  • 36m 19s
  • 2187 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Just like last year, I had come into my first tri of the year a little overconfident of my swimming ability. The problem isn't so much my ability, as it is controlling this problem I refer to as "cannon kick" Whenever I start a race, be it running or tris, I get so ramped up when the gun goes off that my heart starts racing and my breathing gets kind of labored. About 15seconds into my wave's start, I again started to get overwhelmed as far as my breathing goes and it only got worse as I tried to work through it, to the point that I wasn't really tolerating having my face in the water at all! I did a few side strokes and said to myself "F__CK THIS! I am not going to side stroke the entire swim like I did in Wildbear last year, especially not for 1.2miles!" I started to get into a rhythm where I took a breath every second stroke, which actually settled me down quite a bit. At that point I heard the next wave going, which meant the girls were going to be on my heels any minute, so I tried to pick up the effort slowly as I became more comfortable. I even managed to get into breathing on every third stroke for short periods of time and increse my effort a bit. Eventually, I fought my way back to the middle of the pack of the yellow caps (my wave), and had no real problems with navigation.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to learn how to settle down at the beginning of races. Hopefully this will come with more experience, and it isn't as big of a problem when I do road races, because I have more control over my breathing, but having my head submerged just doesn't help
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Things didn't get any better when I got out of the water and into T1. First of all, I'm extremely light-headed. Second, they had wetsuit strippers, which I wasn't used to. I have zippers at the ankles of my wetsuit and I didn't unzip them before laying down on the carpet for the strippers and my ankles were TRAPPED!! F_CKING A!!! So I start kicking my legs a little to try to help and I get the most vicious charliehorse cramp in my left calf muscle! DOUBLE F_CKING A!!! Anyway, I finally pry the suit off my ankles, thank the strippers and slowly make my way to the bike, praying the cramp in my Left calf goes away. First thing I do when I get to my bike is turn on my Garmin to give it time to get the sattelite signal it needs while I get my shoes and helmet on. Now I am not the fastest guy in transition, but the GPS still didn't get the signal when I was ready to roll, so I stood there for another 20-30 seconds, praying to the satellite gods to give us a signal, but it was futile. I ran out of transition and tried to put the swim and T! behind me (literally as well as figuratively) which thankfully, I did :)

From now on, I am going to turn on the Garmin when I leave transition to go do the swim and let it sit there until I get into T1 which will give it way more time than it needs to access the satellites and I won't have to wait for it.
Bike
  • 2h 44m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.45 mile/hr
Comments:

I wish I had the Garmin during the ride, mostly for the HR info. I tried to turn it on and use only the HR monitor, but couldnt remember how to do it. I have been a little reliant on using the HR monitor lately, and haven't hooked up the powertap yet, so I had to go by RPE and try to stay in a comfortable zone, which I think I did pretty well considering.

I think I need some aerobars or even an tribike! :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Not too much to say here. A little awkward with racking the bike, otherwise ok.

More transition practice before the next race
Run
  • 1h 38m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out pretty strong. I watched my lap splits with my stopwatch and was managing 7:10-7:15 for the first 5 miles. Then the pace seememd to drop to 7:20-7:30 for the rest of the race with the exception of Mile 8 on the second out and back, there was an obnoxious hill that seemed to drain me and took me 8:15 to do. I saw Jeff and Rob after each of the turn arounds, and they both looked strong. Before the last turnaround I checked my watch and calculated that Jeff had about a 4:45-5:00 lead on me, minus the 2:00 difference from going in the wave before me, I had to make up 3 minutes roughly, to catch him with 3miles to go. Very unlikely to catch him but I gave it a good effort and still only ran 7:30ish and was starting to cramp hard.

I need to work more long distance (>10miles) runs into my training plan. Consuming more endurolytes on the bike and continuing during the run would probably help too.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Rhonda, did some stretching, talked to Rob and Jeff for awhile. Had a burger and some water, gatorade, cookies. Did some more stretching. Dried off and got some warm dry clothes on and tried to get warm myself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously, I need to get control over my emotions at the start of the swim and not have to deal with "cannon kick". I also could take at least two minutes off my time by getting better in transition. Otherwise, I am pretty satisfied with my performance, and feel pretty good about trying to break sub-5 hours at Timberman in August.

Event comments:

I have heard nothing but great things about Keith Jordan and the races he puts on and this being my first race of his, I was not disappointed. I look forward to doing it again next year.

Last updated: 2006-11-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:19 | 2187 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/78
Overall: 311/516
Performance: Below average
Suit: full
Course: Rectangular course with two 90 degree turns
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:44:16 | 56 miles | 20.45 mile/hr
Overall: 146/516
Performance: Good
I don't have, thanks to Garmin malfunction :(
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loops. Half of the loop was around Newfound Lake, which I found to be pretty enjoyable as far as the course and scenery, with the exception of one major steep hill. I think it's nickname is "Devil Hill" because there was a devil woman jamming funk music and dancing about half-way up. The second part of the loop goes out into Bristol and had some long inclines and seemed a bit more tedious than the area around the lake. I definately passed more than passed me. I kept to my nutrition plan which was one gel every 30 minutes and a couple of endurolytes every 45. The weather was pretty cool and perspiration was minimal, so I didn't need much for hydration except for washing down the gels and tabs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:38:09 | 13.1 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 123/516
Performance: Average
Still no Garmin! :(
Course: Out and back, twice. Some rolling hills at the far end of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-04 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance

2007-06-04 3:04 PM
in reply to: #829111

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance
Good race Mike. I was also calculating how far back you were. I was praying that we would run out of race course because I knew I couldn't out run you.
2007-06-04 4:00 PM

User image

Master
CT
Awesome race Mike! You are one fast dude!
2007-06-04 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Amazing job Mike! Hard to believe it's been less than a year since your first tri. Nice job kicking it in on the homestretch to stay ahead of me.

2007-06-05 1:58 AM

Champion

Holy cow Mike...you must have been one of those smokin' fast guys passing me on the run, and I plug along and wonder how you do it!  Great race, next time we'll have to say howdy to ya.  OK, now you gotta break 5 hours EASY at Timberman.  I think the potential is there for being at least 5 minutes faster on the bike, maybe even more, because of the long flat stretch in the middle of the course.  And the warmer water should help on the swim too!  Awesome job!

Edited by max 2007-06-05 1:59 AM
2007-06-06 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Great Race.  My garmin was giving me trouble also in T1 but since the transition area was spinning I was fine to wait for it a little longer.

Congrats!!

Adios
Dave

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed