setup events
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 34s
Overall Rank = 124/151
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

WARNING: This report is a little long, but it was my first race and I want to remember as much as possible, so I'm documenting it here.

Woke up @ 4:30, dressed, ate waffle w/PB and 1/2 banana, ready to go by 5:00. Glad I packed the night before. At 5:05 hubby was finally ready, oh wait, he needs more coffee, ugh. So have to wait another 5 min to brew some more (what's 5 more min. he says? That question will be answered at the swim start.) We get to the parking lot, and everyone is heading up to TA, and it looked like a scene from Dawn of the Dead. Zombies in the morning fog, all marching slowly, silent, expressionless to the same destination. "Brains..." Lord knows I could use one cause I must have lost mine.

Event warmup:

Pumped up bike tires and followed the masses. After a 1/2 mi. walk to TA I only had 40 min til start time. At least my transition spot was numbered and it was near the bike and run chutes. Racked bike (realized computer was in the car - oh well), set up towel, etc. Got chip, body marking, and dropped race belt back off in TA (had to show it to get the chip). Grabbed swim cap and goggles and headed to the lake with 15 min to spare. Then I had to potty. Long line, of course. So I decided to wait it out. Swim wave before me started as I was running, I jumped in the water with 1 min. to spare. (Where are my extra 5 min. now, Mr. Coffee?) So my warm up was "running around like a chicken with my head cut off."
Swim
  • 22m 52s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started out in the back, taking my time. Then HR was up quick. Tried floating on my back to calm down. Then back to swimming and sighting, (which is improving). Lather, rinse, repeat. Swim was a series of actual swimming followed by increase HR and feeling like I couldn't get my breath, resulting in a 1 min float on back. Someone (female) grabbed my butt, and that was funny. Then I did the same thing to someone else (female) on the swim back. Overall, better than last OWS.
What would you do differently?:

Hope I can find a way to stay as relaxed as I am in the pool in open water. Going to keep practicing OWS this summer.
Transition 1
  • 05m 40s
Comments:

Long up hill out of the water, walked the end. I was calm in transition. Dried off a little and put on glasses, helmet, gloves, socks shoes, grabbed a swig of water, poured some sport beans in my tri top pouch and headed out. I was thinking "this really IS fun."

Figure out how to tape my sport beans to my bike. They melted in my pouch and stained my boobs red.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 45s
  • 17 miles
  • 14.42 mile/hr
Comments:

The first two miles out of the park we rode on the wrong side of the road, therefore per the race instructions, we were supposed to pass on the right. First thing I hear, some guy yelling "passing on your left." I wanted to yell back, "you're supposed to pass on the right dumb ass." That part of the course was a “free for all” out and back. Since I forgot my bike computer, I was guessing at my speed, which I don't have any practice doing, just going my RPE and trying to keep it under control. Course is mostly flat, so lots of peddling. Around every turn was an uphill. About 5 miles out on the course, I saw a lot of drafting. Like groups of people passing me while drafting and staying in the pack after passing. They looked to be experience cyclist by the gear, etc. Kinda bummed me out, I thought "if I can get my sorry newbie ass out here and ride by the rules, why can't you?" Just doesn't seem cool to me. I passed about a dozen people and was passed by dozens more, about 1/2 of whom called out "passing." I really appreciated those who did call out, since I am not my most comfortable on the bike and like to know someone is coming up on me. I only drank a couple of times, since I'm not good at reaching the bottle cage while moving. Near the end turned onto Beatties Ford and got left behind on the uphill. I was spacing out, so I didn't notice it until I was over the hill. Then I thought, "oh no, I don't play that." So made it my mission to catch up, ASAP and I did. Remembered to unclip before approaching dismount, but touched my feet down before stopping and got a little wobbly. Standing off the bike my knees almost buckled, which I wasn't expecting.

Remember cycle computer. Try to drink a little more on the ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Legs were total jelly running down chute and into TA. Helmet off, gloves off, cycle shoes off, race belt on, running shoes on, swig of Gatorade, go!

nothing
Run
  • 36m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt good heading out of TA. Hr was shooting up fast so I had to walk a little in the beginning. Poured first cup of water on my face, ahhh. Drank next two. By the second mile of the run my "run 5 min./ walk 1 min." strategy was working. There was one leg of the run near the end that went down to the lake and I was suprized that there was no chip mat there, wonder if anyone cut that leg off, no one would've known? Last mile this girl and I kept passing each other. I was joking to her about it, then less than 1/2 mile from finish she said "I don't have anything left, it's all you now." I was thinking "cool, I've go to stay ahead of her now!" Rounding the last turn finish line in sight, then I see a guy laid out, unconcious, with medic surrounding him, and he was blue. Scary stuff. Refocused on finish line, smiled for the final photo. I made it!!!!! A volunteer actually kinda stopped me and said "you can stop running now." LOL. I guess I wanted to make sure I had really crossed the line. :)

nothing, it was a good run, especially considering the effort put in to get to that point of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Volunteers handed out cold drinks and congrats with a smile. I liked that. Walked a little looking for hubby and talking to some people I met that day before the swim. Drank sports drink and a bottle of water, chatted with the QCTC gang, then realized there was beer at on of the tents. I was too full of water to drink anything else. Hubby may have had to carry me to the car if I started drinking. Ha ha. It was great having a cheering section at the transitions, and congrats afterward. Thanks ya'll! The march back to the parking lot reminded me of war-torn soldiers returning home. Took us 30 min to get out of the parking lot. Came home took a shower, ate lunch, picked kids up from Granny's, and home for a nap. What a great day!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My heart rate. I did as expected for this race. I am proud of finishing and accomplishing a long desired goal.

Last updated: 2007-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:52 | 750 meters | 03m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 125/151
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back. Clear for lake water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:45 | 17 miles | 14.42 mile/hr
Overall: 130/151
Wind: None
Course: Mostly flat. Seems like up hill following each turn. Lots of turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:04 | 03.11 miles | 11m 36s  min/mile
Overall: 114/151
Course: More than "moderate" hills. Looked and felt pretty "steep" to me.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Latta

2007-06-18 2:31 PM
in reply to: #849157

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Latta

Hey there, great job on the race and the fun RR!  Don't worry, before long you'll be even MORE relaxed in OW than in the pool!  I can't help you with the Sport Bean dilemma - maybe a Bento Box?  Sounds like you had a good time!

2007-06-18 2:58 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

YAY!!!!

Great job Gygy!!!!  You were smiling everytime I saw you!

2007-06-18 6:44 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Way to Go Triathlete!!  We all knew that you could do it.  I hope you surprised yourself at how well you did.  Sounds like you're already getting competitive---welcome to the nuthouse with the rest of us.
2007-06-18 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran

Great report! I have the same problem with my HR and breathing in the swim. You'll get better at it the more experience you get. It was really fun watching you race, awesome job.
2007-06-18 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job triathlete. Hope to meet you at one of the races.

2007-06-20 11:13 AM
in reply to: #849791

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Great job GyGy - way to go...hope to see you at many more... love the zombie comment!
2007-06-20 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Awesome race report! It really made me wish I had gotten off my duff and did Latta. I am so proud of you for finishing your first race so strong! I hope we can both do Rambling Rose and get to race together, that would be an absolute blast.
2007-06-20 6:06 PM

User image

New user

Charlotte

yay!  You did it.  I think we have the same OWS issue.  i am so relaxed in the the pull, but it feels like swimming through mud at the lake. 

Great job and I look forward to doing a  second one with you.  Jane

2007-06-22 5:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Great race and loved reading your race report. It has been fun watching you train and become a triathlete! I hope you come down to Greenwood sometime and do our Olympic one or the 1/2 IM some day! We are only 2 1/2 hours away.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Latta Rss Feed