Ironman North America
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 41m 32s
Overall Rank = 1625/2197
Age Group = 31-34
Age Group Rank = 210/250
Pre-race routine:

A bagel and water at the hotel at our 4:30 wake up, followed be a gel, 2 tylenol, 2 salt tabs before the swim start. We woke up really early, but it didn't feel too bad since I was still on Eastern Standard time. We had tons of time to check our bags and go to the bathroom.
Event warmup:

None. Said our goodbyes to the group and told everyone we'd see each other all day on the bike and run.
Swim
  • 1h 08m 31s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had hoped to push out a sub hour swim going into the weekend but once I saw the chop and wind I knew this was unlikely. The start was craziness. I went out 200yds pretty fast to try and gain some seperation but found that I was constantly getting clobbered. There was no room to move further right of the line I was on because I had neoprene on each side and half the time was hitting neoprene in front of me on the catch of my stroke. Thank god I'm a good swimming because this was a maul fest. Between the chop and the number of swimmers I was taking a gulp of water every 2-3 breaths. The water was a great temp, very clean and very clear though which was nice. I did the first loop in 32:30, and eased it way back for the second loop. Caught a really nice draft out on second loop. I was able to get some great surfing on the waves on the way back of each loop. Sighting was non-existent, it was survival and follow the masses. HR was 107 out of the water, a nice warmup for the bike and run.
What would you do differently?:

Start inside the buoy line. Heard this was the place to be for the 55-1:15 swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 06m 39s
Comments:

Nice Transition for me. I'm normally pretty slow since I do full clothing changes at each transition (confort over a few minutes...). Volunteer repacked my bag as I ran out to the bike. Had a good rack spot and easily grabbed my bike.
Bike
  • 7h 06m 23s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.76 mile/hr
Comments:

First lap was unbelievable, averaged about 17.5 without pressing my HR. Felt unbelievable and wished the conditions/temp were always like this for me. Laura passed me at about mile 25 and I tried to stay near her so that at each turnaround she was still close. Saw Weds at about mile 40 with what looked like a flat (turned out to be a flat plus and huge hole in the tire). I lost my computer about mile 65 when I stopped at a rest stop (must have kicked it, but even when I stopped again I couldn't get it going). Tim caught me about mile 80?? and I told him to go get Laura, who wasn't far ahead. I then saw a SAG vehicle go by with a black Lucero in the back and my heart sank, thinking Brad's mechanical issues were worse than I though and forced him off the course. Lukily enough, about 10 miles later I see him going the other way and gave a big fist pump. The hills were not horrible (moving to New England has helped my hill climbing), as i'm not very good dragging my 6'4" 200+ frame up the hills. About mile 75 I stared having lower back spasms, which I think were due to getting snapped around on the swim, the headwind on the bike, and the stupidity of me to move 16 cu yds of mulch via wheelbarrow and shovel the week and a half before the race (isn't that what taper is for??? whoops).

Hire some to mulch the yard and develop some lower back strength.
Transition 2
  • 08m 9s
Comments:

Another full clothing change, but still got out of there in decent time.
Run
  • 6h 11m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Stated running right out of the stretch. My legs have never felt so good... what 112 mile bike. The issue was my lower back, the spasms were ridiculous. After a few miles I met and ran/walked w/ Vince #1413 for about 1/2 the marathon. We chatted, forced each other to run, took walking breaks, and just enjoyed the experience. It was great having someone to pass the time with, thanks Vince!! I saw everyone out there and they all looked strong and got to hear about Brad and Heidi's mechanical issues from the bike. I ran/walked (50/50) about the first half of the marathon. The second half turned into a steady walk as the back was still there, plus now the knees and hips were starting to hurt. Took my shoes off at mile 16 to take what I thought was a pebble out of my shoe, nope, it was a bunch of blisters... damm walking, I never get blisters when I run.

One of these years I going to run this stupid marathon (or at least 80-90% of it) on the Ironman course.
Post race
Warm down:

Best i've felt after a finish. Huge smile and no stomach issues, joints were pretty good, and all around just pleased. In all I took 45 more minutes off my time and had the best time personally at a IM yet. Ate about 6 pieces of pizza, goa a massage, and watched the last finishers come in. Even had time to pick up my own bags and bike and drop them off, a first for me.

Event comments:

Best of all, after getting up at 5 am the next morning to make my 8:30 flight home, and 15 hours of travel, I got home at 10:30 EST. At 11:30, my wife (who wasn't able to come to the race because she was 8+ months pregnant) informed me it was time to head to the hospital. At 8:49 the next morning, 3 weeks early, my son was born!!! Talk about a crazy, exhausting, yet completely exhilarating 72 hours. Thank god I made it home in time!!!

Last updated: 2007-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:08:31 | 4224 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 40/250
Overall: 257/2197
Performance: Average
Suit: shorty sleeve wetsuit
Course: 2 loop box with swim exit and mat crossing in between loops
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
07:06:23 | 112 miles | 15.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 207/250
Overall: 1594/2197
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 loop with tons of out and back. Some flats, hills, rollers, downhills, light hills... a little of everything. The scenery is great. Had mostly crosswind except the strong headwind on the first out and back of each loop and the return back to town on each loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 08:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
06:11:52 | 26.2 miles | 14m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 224/250
Overall: 1864/2197
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops out and backs along the lake, absolutly gourgous. It was funny to look at how calm the lake was the entire time after the wind we had in the morning.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-03 11:32 AM

User image

Regular
West Hartford
Subject: Ironman Coeur d'Alene

2007-07-03 11:56 AM
in reply to: #870568

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene

Great race, congratulations! That was a great swim even with the chop. I saw a video of that swim start and I cannot believe the mass of bodies hitting the water.

Wow, what a nonstop few days for you! Congratulations on the birth of your son! You did just make it home in time, what a story you now have to share.

2007-07-03 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Incredible race taco. You looked great everytime I saw you and you definitely looked great after the race...like you did an oly and not an IM. Craziness. Awesome swim and I can see a 6:45 bike for you in the near future. Congrats on the race and on baby ben. What an exciting cpl days.
2007-07-03 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm sure you were excited to cap off your race with a son born early! What an awesome awesome thing. You had a fantastic race, Craig, and it was so awesome seeing you so much on the course. Each time I saw you, you had a smile on your face. I love it! Can't wait til you rock out the next Ironman.....Florida perhaps???

Edited by gymnutt03 2007-07-03 5:34 PM
2007-07-03 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow! What an incredible experience! I'm glad you decided to take the early flight home. Now try to get some rest!!! Ha.
2007-07-03 8:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
REST, what is that? Seriously - you did awesome and looked awesome the entire day. Like I said that night, the one time you want an IV so you can fly safely 10hrs after finishing, you honestly don't need it. You kick that courses arse! Congrats!

It has been great training with you this past year and look forward to the years to come. And maybe helping Ben get into the sport

2007-07-04 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Awesome, awesome job, Taco!!! It was so great to train with you again (after I said I was only doing one)....and it was such a "pick me up" to see you so many times on the run course!!
Great job on having such a solid race and knocking so much time of your last IM. And a bigger congrats to you and Amy on your latest addition...we cannot wait to meet him!
2007-07-05 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
im, anniversary, and first born son all in a few days. that is good timing!

it's always inspiring to see you training and racing when you are feeling good. you are an incredible swimmer and it was great to see you tearing up the bike. i know you've got a good run in you too. you looked so fresh after the finish, you practically skipped into the massage tent.

we all know you started this craziness and it wouldn't be an IM if i didn't get the chance to come from behind and smack you on the a$$ at some point. that's always one of my favorite moments! i can't wait to pick one for next year and do it all again!
2007-07-05 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Sounds like a great race! Then to top it off... a new baby!

Congratulations to both!
2007-07-05 2:10 PM
in reply to: #873084

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

An Ironman and a new kid ...... I'd say you had a busy weekend!

Congrats!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Coeur d'Alene Rss Feed