Boca Raton Bicycle club
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 28m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, took care of business, ate a protein bar and drank gatorade. Registered for the ride and waited for my fellow peeps to arrive. Felt good, wasn't nervous AT ALL, and looking forward to the ride.
Event warmup:

No warm-up.
Bike
  • 3h 28m
  • 30 miles
  • 8.65 mile/hr
Comments:

By my watch the ride from start to finish lasted 3 hrs 28 minutes. This includes a short 5-minute stop (when I made a wrong turn and lost the group), one long 15-20 minute stop (my cousin's chain bit the dust and he couldn't continue the ride - we stopped for a while to see if he could repair the bike but he couldn't), a rest stop at mile 19 (we drank cold water, I poured it over my head, had a half a pbj sammie) and a couple of 5 minute stops waiting for the drawbridges. Its not an accurate "ride" time so I can't really say what our average speed was. I know we rode harder than I'm used to and according to Maria our average was about 15-17mph. I rode w/ 4 other people, including my cousin and his wife (Maria), whom I've just started riding/training with. This was the farthest distance I've attempted in 2 years and riding w/ them would be challenging b/c they've all ridden faster and farther than I. I was mostly trailing behind them but was able to pull the group for about 20 minutes at a 15-16mph pace just after our rest stop. I still rode faster for longer than I ever have - with consistent & proper training I can only improve. Around mile 26 I really felt the "umph" leave my body and started to really trail behind the group. With only 4 miles to go I just strived to finish. It was a hard ride for me, but not as hard as when I finished 18 miles at this same event 2 years ago with 80+ LBS on my frame. I'll take it. I felt more spent after this ride than after my tri a few weeks ago. Was a good, good effort.
What would you do differently?:

Train harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water and ate a slice of pizza. Sat and rested. Wanted a massage but got tired of waiting for my turn.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience/training for long distances.

Event comments:

It was good to participate with friends. There was good-natured ribbing and teasing going on among my group as I got to know them better. They have all been riding for much longer which makes it good for me to see where I will soon be. I was so happy to see my BT buddy Mimi after the race - she hardly looked like she'd just ridden 62 miles though - she looked so good! We chatted for a bit, she met Marcello (my bike), and I got a glimpse of her gorgeous Tri-bike - I love it when I get to see my BT friends and Mimi is such a special friend b/c she's seen me go thru my struggles from the beginning and is such a constant source of support and inspiration. I love ya Mimi-girl! While waiting for the massage I was feeling a little woozy - I was really tired... decided to skip the massage. Started to feel a little better after my meal settled and I drank some more water - I decided to just drive back home. I was desperate for a cool shower. It was really hot out there and I think I should've drank more water. Need to get a second cage for my bike and maybe even a third cage. All lessons you learn from each new event you do. And I'm so proud of myself. I'm just feeling so good. It was great to be out there... w/ new friends... enjoying life.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-07 12:00 AM
Biking
03:28:00 | 30 miles | 8.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Varied between Z3 and 4 - but mostly Z4 for bulk of ride.
Wind: Little
Course: Different course from 2 years ago - went further inland for 12 miles or so and the rest was along A1A by the beach/ocean. Was a nice course b/c Boca Raton is very pretty and rich. There was some traffic but I wasn't too nervouse which means my comfort level is changing. We went over some small bridges.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: Frank Starke Celebration Ride

2007-07-16 1:03 PM
in reply to: #887600

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Frank Starke Celebration Ride

Yay! Congratulations!

I notice a huge change in the tone of your logs and your race reports since you acquired your NEW TRIATHLETE GLOW. Wink

So, another sprint this weekend, huh?

HOORAY for you, Cari, you've come a long way, baby!  

2007-07-16 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great ride Cari!!
2007-07-16 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job Cari...you will be at St. A next year for sure!!!!
2007-07-16 4:56 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Congratulation!  I should have done this with you ghuys - it sounds like fun!  It was so hot though, I don't know how you guys didn't melt out there.  I did see a few riders go by on my way to Publix to get pancake mix.
2007-07-16 7:02 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Excellant job!

You are getting stronger and faster~ 

2007-07-16 8:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Way to go Cari!!  There is no stopping you now...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Frank Starke Celebration Ride Rss Feed