Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 49s
Overall Rank = 80/499
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/24
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am, showered, ate breakfast and left the house about 4:30
Event warmup:

Quick bikeride with jpw on the run course, quick run on the side streets of Annandale
Swim
  • 15m 39s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

When the gun went off I hit my watch timer, and follwed the one person that I knew I wanted to draft off of into the water. I was able to hang onto his feet for the first 100 yards or so, and then that was it. I started at the front of the 50+ person wave so I could get clean water to swim in, and even though I am not the quickest swimmer, I knew that if I started in the middle/back, it would be hard to catch the feet of anyone who I would be able to draft off of.

I got to the first bouy and felt OK, nothing great, but nothing horrible. I knew that my time was not going to be blazing, but hoped for the best. I started heading back into shore and caught up to a couple of people from prior waves, and was able to swim around them with little issue.

Overall my navigation was spot on, and I did not tend to veer one way or the other.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more sprints, and get my turn over rate to be higher and more efficient.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Considering that I had to run almost 3 city blocks for this transition, not to mention that I had to run about 150 yards from the lake, this is a good time for me. I was anticipating about 2 minutes, so right on target.

Nothing
Bike
  • 54m 54s
  • 21 miles
  • 22.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Let me first start out by saying that this is a new PR for me in terms of race speed. My previous had been 22.15, and this was 23mph!

Due to road construction, this is a different bike course from what they normally have. This one was a bit more on the hilly side than the previous course so I think my goal time of 52 minutes was probably not realistic.

I was in wave 9, which meant that I had a lot of people to pass on the bike. There were 2 individuals that I knew would beat me out of the water, and I anticipated catching them on the bike.

Well, I ended up catching one of them around mile 12, and even though I put in a hard steady effort to drop him, he stayed with me and we played cat and mouse for the remainder of the ride. As I got to my rack I saw the other guy heading out of T2 so I knew that he had a great swim and a strong bike. The guy I beat off the bike racked his bike with in about 15 seconds of me. I beat him out of transition, and since my lead of 2-3 minutes did not happen since I was not able to drop him on the bike course, he passed me about 1/4 mile into the run as he is a much faster runner than I am

Push harder??
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

See above! :)

Nothing, very quick T2 since I had a long ways to run
Run
  • 38m 31s
  • 5.3 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

So back to my story about the guy that I wanted to catch...I thought I would be able to catch the guy that I saw running out of T2 as he had ran 7:30's in the past few races.

I kept pushing hard, and got to the 2 mile mark at 14:05, pretty much right on the 7:00/mile pace that I wanted. The 3rd mile was a little slower at 7:28 as there was a little uphill to it, but I figured I would make it up. To this point I still had not seen the Guy from T2, and was starting to get a little discouraged.

Mile 4 came in at 6:48, and I was happy that I was able to put some time back in the bank, however, there was no sight of the Guy from T2. At the start of mile 5, I was pased by a guy that was in my AG and that pretty much demolished me, as I thought that if I could catch the guy from T2, I would have run myself into 3rd, now I knew that the best I could do was 4th. By this point I had resolved to finishing solid and just running my race and finishing strong.

Well, I never saw the guy from T2, and finished the race in 6th/23 in my AG, so not horrible, but about 3 spots down from where I expected as there was 1 other guy in my AG who's bike I did not see coming into T2.

As it turns out the Guy from T2 had an amazing race in all 3 categories. He even ended up running 6:39's, so either the last few races were flukes, or he ran himself silly today. Either way, he had a great race, and I did make a point to tell him that after the day was over.

Push harder??
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, got some water and gatorade

What limited your ability to perform faster:

just not my day

Event comments:

I love this race, and will be coming back to it every year

Last updated: 2007-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:39 | 880 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/24
Overall: 176/499
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Sleeveless
Course: Rectangular clockwise
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:54 | 21 miles | 22.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/24
Overall: 37/499
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:31 | 05.3 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/24
Overall: 134/499
Performance: Average
Course: Relatively flat course with a couple of small hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon

2007-07-16 12:17 PM
in reply to: #887618

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon
Good job on upping the bike PR speed.  You kicked my @ss in the swim leg.  Sorry I didn't go ride with you on the warmup...I was kind of in my own little zone prior to the race.  Congrats.
2007-07-16 12:54 PM
in reply to: #887651

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Birkierunner - 2007-07-16 12:17 PM Good job on upping the bike PR speed.  You kicked my @ss in the swim leg.  Sorry I didn't go ride with you on the warmup...I was kind of in my own little zone prior to the race.  Congrats.

No worries...I understand you are in the "Elite" wave!   J/K

2007-07-16 12:56 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Great race, Ben! I remember seeing your bike as I walking through transition after my relay rider came in and I thought, "wow, Ben must've frickin' crushed the bike". Crushed, indeed! I'm in awe of your bike but even more in awe of your ability to ride it very, very fast!

Congrats on another awesome race.

Tom

2007-07-16 1:41 PM

User image

Elite
Very impressive bike yesterday Ben.  I kept waiting for you to blow by me and I never saw you.  Obviously you did at some point but I din't notice.  I really did like this race, only thing you could possibly change would be transition area.  Nice job once again.
2007-07-16 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Nice job, Ben!

2007-07-16 7:57 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Whohoo!!! Bike PR!!! Way to push yourself to catch up to your AGers.
2007-07-17 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Great race! You have to remember that you still have tired legs from the HIM training. You hit your taper and you're going to crush everyone in two weeks.
2007-07-18 10:21 AM

Nice work. Maybe I'll see you at Chisago.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed