5430 Sports Corp.
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 12s
Overall Rank = 334/1415
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 31/106
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and had two bowls of Special K, along with a blueberry yoghurt. Loaded up car and headed for Boulder with music blaring. Managed to get there really early, and was rewarded with an end cut on the bike racks. This helped a great deal.
Event warmup:

Just a quick five minute swim along with a bunch of wandering around aimlessly.
Swim
  • 30m 25s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started on the far left, about 5 people back. Felt really great throughout swim, and thought I was doing really well, but finished in bottom half of age group! Seemed like I was on a great, straight course.

Had a couple of guys swim over me, and another one threw a punch, which was pretty stupid (as I don't think it gave him any forward momentum and wasted his girly-man energy).
What would you do differently?:

I think that I need to train harder for the swim, and quit cheating distances on my short back-yard pool. This is just an area where I probably need to focus more training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

This transition was exactly the same time as last year. I felt a little confused getting bike stuff together, for some reason. 417th overall, and 26th in age-group. Fumbled around with wetsuit around ankles for some reason. Also, nearly poked out an eye with sunglasses.

Maybe practice transition.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 45s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.14 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a really great ride for me. Followed Dr. Ricci's plan with great success. Actually vomited some Gatorade at the top of Old Stage, but swallowed it back down and kept cranking. This was the first triathlon bike ride where I was doing more passing then getting passed, so I was pretty pleased.

Ripped the downhill sections, especially the canyon and Nelson Road. Really flew.

Drank only a bottle & a half, but the Gatorade just wasn't doing it. Tried to grab a water at the aid station, but the volunteer jumped back like she was feeding a tiger by hand and dropped the bottle.

I might be able to go a bit faster if I had aero-bars and a tri-bike, but overall this was a super performance.

The D3 sharksuit made me very fast, but it's not not particularly subtle on the nards.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Hit the front brake a bit hard at the dismount, and it swung the back end of the bike around a bit. Some tool who wasn't getting off his bike at the dismount sign, and was flying with volunteers jumping out of his way, managed to smack into my bike. His problem, I gueass, but fortunately we all got through without a mess.

Good transition, nearly 41 seconds faster than last year, but good for 217th overall and 13th in age group.

I could have been more graceful getting off the bike, but otherwise this was a pretty quick transition. Again, practice might speed things up a bit.
Run
  • 49m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Took it pretty easy on the half of the run, stepped up miles 3-4, gave it a bit more gas on 4-5, and let it rip from 5 through the finish. Passed way more runners than passed me. As Mike Ricci predicted, I reeled in about a half dozen racers in my age group by having legs for the run. The finish was just spectacular.

Managed to get confused by tearing my race number during the run, so next time I'd fiddle with it less. Also, Mike thinks I didn't suffer enough on this run, and I think that's right. So... next time more suffering. That might shave a couple of minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

Loved the freezing cold towel, and wanderedd down to the Res where I just walked in the water wearing all of my running gear. Went under water, and it realy helped cool things off.

Then, two slices of pizza, watermelon, banana, cream soda... I'm in heaven.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think it's just a matter of sticking to the training plans and getting better over time. I think Mike Ricci's doing an amazing job, because I really didn't know if I could get into my goal range on this race (publicly I said that I wanted to beat 2:53, but really I hoped to come in under 2:45). That was just a great race for the second time I've done it, moving up from 44th in age group (out of 89) last year to 31st this year (out of 106).

Event comments:

What a wonderful, great day at the races. Nice to have a dramatic Personal Best! Thought about Sean (12 year old in a coma) during race, along with other friends who are suffering, and really let it out. Very happy with bike ride (doing more passing then being passed), and the same on the run. Very proud of this performance, actually.

Barry ran the race incredibly well. He's bummed about the funny/ratty t-shirts, but otherwise I think he has to be thrilled. Mike Ricci and D3 really are just amazing, as I never would have improved without them.

Last updated: 2007-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:25 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 58/106
Overall: 626/1415
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman
Course: Directly into the sun past four buoys, a left turn for awhile and then back into the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:45 | 26.1 miles | 20.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/106
Overall: 337/1415
Wind: Little
Course: Slight climb out of the Boulder Reservoir, leading up to the dreaded Olde Stage Road! Then down the Canyon, along Nelson, around the Reservoir and back home.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:20 | 06.21 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/106
Overall: 317/1415
Course: From the Res out along the Dam road, through winding dirt, heat, and hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 3:27 PM

User image

Denver
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2007-07-22 4:44 PM
in reply to: #895922

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Triathlon

Wow...your RR is full of some entertaining/intresting anecdotes .

Great job out there and congrats on the improvement over last year!!

2007-07-22 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Congrats. I would love to do this race in the future. Boulder is a beautiful place to train!!
2007-07-22 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Great race.  It was really hot out there.
2007-07-22 6:13 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Way to push through the race and exceed your expectations by 5 minutes - that's awesome!  I haven't heard or used the word 'nards' in over 10 years, but that's hilarious. Now when's the TT bike coming? Pinarello? BMC?
2007-07-24 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Good race!! We are in the same age group. We should hang out and have a beer some time.

2007-07-25 5:03 AM
in reply to: #899367

User image

Boulder, Colorado

bertvl - 2007-07-24 12:55 PM Good race!! We are in the same age group. We should hang out and have a beer some time.

After August 27th, Rich can drink all the beer you want. Until then, he is on a MISSION. :-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed