5430 Sports Corp.
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 30s
Overall Rank = 250/1415
Age Group = w30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/111
Pre-race routine:

YIKES!!! I got up at 3:30, met Kathleen at 4AM and drove to Boulder. Then I got to transition to find my rear tire would not inflate - in fact it COMPLETELY deflated! After bike support FINALLY opened I got them to look at it only to be told I needed a new tire (they didn't have any) or a new wheel to ride. With 20' until transition closes - I started looking and THANKFULLY my new hero - BLACKBUD - saved me and let me borrow his rear wheel. Got the correct cassette on it and barely made it into transition befor they kicked everyone out.
Event warmup:

See pre-race routine... Because of all of that drama running around - that WAS my warmup!
Swim
  • 25m 53s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went out and hung with the first pack out the the turn, then lost them. Found some feet to the next turn, then could only find swimmers from other previous waves getting in my way... I swam an inside track to try to avoid them. I felt some fatigue in my arms - probably what I would expect considering my heavy training week leading up to the race.
I was 30" slower than last year :(
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to draft better. I simply need to work on hanging onto those DAMNED feet. I tend to drift off because I don't like the bubbles from the person kicking in front of me, but I need to stay with them better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

a tad faster than last year, and considering the bad spot for my wave, this was a fine transition. Since it wasn't an A race, I didn't worry about going too fast - funny, but only the winner in my AG had a faster T1 than I did!!! Maybe I should take that relaxed approach more often :)

Nothing really - except the flying mount - which I will work on again, but I basically got blocked as the guy infront of me dead stopped and I figured I might as well just stop and mount at that point...
Bike
  • 1h 17m 59s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.08 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough ride. Old Stage NEVER ends!!! Which was fine. I actually felt like I climbed it pretty well. Then I backed off a bit and just tried to ride around 200 watts. Turns out my avg was just below that, so not bad. I could feel the Triple Bypass and my other 7 hours of riding leading into this race - this is what NO TAPER does to your legs on a bike :)
I took in 3.5 gels and 2 full bottles of Heed plus a few sips of water - the rest went over my head and legs.

Nothing - I had a big week leading into this race and this is what I would expect with that in consideration. This is where I lost the most time even though I was almost 3' faster than last year on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

I had to move around some stuff (neighbor's wetsuit/ cap goggles) to get to my shoes and it was a little tight in there, so it took me an extra few seconds. Again, I just was pretty non-chalant about this. My wave DID have a good spot for this transition, so the time looks way fast. It was 5th in my AG, so OK.

Have more space :) RUN faster :)
Run
  • 49m 33s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I started out strong, feeling good - except my stomache didn't really want that gel I was carrying... Then I saw Ben and ran along with him for a while (he gave me 2 endurolytes, which I hoped would help the junk feeling and the quad cramp that was just starting...) Then Martina and Megan Boord passed me and I figured who cares anyway - I'm not going to catch them back - this is a B race and not worth killing myself for 2 days over. I think slowing down was a bad idea because then my body wanted to stop. I did walk from the turn around back to the aid station just before it to try to relieve the cramping and see if I could ingest some gatorade or the gel - I did get some gatorade in and some water. Started running again and within the next mile I felt good and picked it back up to "race pace". Finished OK with no kick or anything - not worth it in the heat and with nothing at stake.

Not slow down?? Take endurolytes sooner??
Post race
Warm down:

jogged a tad with MArtina and Kathleen - then walked. AND ATE!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't treat this as a race, so my training limited me. And the heat I guess.

Event comments:

Another great race by 5430!!! Although I wish bike support was there earlier than 6AM since bikes need to be back into transition by 6:30...

Last updated: 2007-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:53 | 1640 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/111
Overall: 215/1415
Performance: Below average
Suit: Super Full
Course: Swim seemed longer than last year - or maybe I'm just not getting any better!!!! Left hand rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:59 | 26.1 miles | 20.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/111
Overall: 351/1415
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: UP old stage then FAST with a few little risers.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:33 | 06.2 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/111
Overall: 326/1415
Performance: Below average
Funny on the final results, it says that my pace was 8:07 per mile, but that's not correct for a 10k... They must have based it on 6.1 miles??
Course: Out along the damn then the trail to CERTAIN DEATH canal - then BACK.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2007-07-23 3:08 PM
in reply to: #897450

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Triathlon
If no taper + triple bypass + 7hrs riding does that to your bike splits I need to re-do my training. Sounds like you raced the race you wanted to so congrats on staying so disciplined and still taking 6th in your AG!
2007-07-23 3:32 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Nice job! I think you had a darn good race under all the circumstances and conditions... oh, and congrats on signing up for IMLP!
2007-07-23 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
You're one of those people I love to hate Even on a training day after a huge build week, you get 6th in our age group! You are amazing!
2007-07-23 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Great job Julia.  I guess all of your training is paying off, as you put on your bike helmet the correct way this race.    Seriously, keep up with the training and you'll have a kick race at worlds.  Let me know if you ever need company for a weekend training session. 
2007-07-23 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Good job of treating it as a training day rather than a race day. Now figure out the drafting on the swim and keep getting ready to rock it at Worlds!

2007-07-24 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Great race, solid performance all around. I wish I had your speed even without the T-bypass and a hard training week in my legs, awesome.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed