General Discussion Triathlon Talk » donating blood Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-07 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Subject: donating blood

I've been donating blood for 20 years or so, and have given the quota in about 10 -12 minutes.  Since I started the tri training I have given blood 4 times (I was not going to give up any hemoglobin during race season!) and each time it has been a very slow bleeding process. I understand the connection between fluid volume and bleeding times, so I made sure I was hydrated. I don't think it's a caffiene related issue either, as I have always had coffee the days I donate.

During the screening they do the vitals and I know I was boarderline for being too low on everything. Low temp -ok,  it means blood can be diverted to your torso away from extremities. But lower heart rate, BP or weight/height ratio should not affect blood volume ...?   Why would I bleed so slowly now? By 20 minutes they can't use your platelets, and will cut you off at 21 minutes.(I got in the time frame for plasma only ) Unfortuantely no one there could answer my questions.

Anyone know this stuff? Or if there is a link between higher fitness levels and blood donation problems?

2004-10-07 5:02 PM
in reply to: #70340

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: donating blood

I can't address your SPECIFIC question, but I CAN say that I donated blood for the first time in years about 4 months ago. It was just 2 weeks before my first race of the season. I felt sluggish, tired and headachy for about 4 weeks after I donated, and I felt rather crappy for my race as well.

I was later informed it takes 8 weeks to fully replenish the pint of blood donated! I had such a miserable experience, I will not be donating blood again during training or race season. The majority of my donations now will come in the winter months, and during the off season. (Blood drive set up here, in fact, for next week!)

Filling up my blood donation bag was a long process also, but I don't have anything to compare it to. And I know I didn't answer your inquiry, but I've been meaning to comment on donating blood and training, and seeing if others have had any similar experiences. 

LW

2004-10-07 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Remember, I am a Navy guy, not a doctor, but I think the sluggishness has something to do with an iron defecit.  I know a marathoner who continues to donate blood but had to take iron supplements before continuing his marathon training!  Of course, get some blood tests done to make sure you need the supplements before taking them!!!

Any doctors in the house???

2004-10-07 9:44 PM

Austin, TX .... Y'all
Not a doctor, but an avid blood donor. I give blood about every 2 months.
I agree that the sluggishness can be from a lack of iron. Hydration and iron are the keys when giving blood. I suggest no caffein the day of and the day after as that can impact your hydration. Lots of water and caffein free drinks. The cool thing is two foods that have lots of iron are hamburgers and pizza. How cool is that?
2004-10-07 10:08 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
Thanks for giving blood, everyone. I can't for at least another 2 years due to malaria.... At least now they let you donate some time (see below)! Anyway, I think donating blood is a really great way to share your good health. I used to drink tons of water before and after donating to minimize risks, and just take better care for a week, and never had a big problem with it.

A hint to help replentish iron (I had a big problem in 2003 with aneomia after 3 bouts with malaria) - have some vit C rich food along with the iron rich food to aid absorption of the iron.

(I need to wait 3 years after completing treatment for malaria. Wait 12 months after returning from a trip to an area where malaria is found. Wait 3 years after moving to the United States after living in a country where malaria is found.)
2004-10-07 10:25 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I admire you all for giving blood. Although, I'm kinda puzzled. For all my life, I have been told by my coaches not to give blood. They said that it would negatively impact my training and performance. So do you only donate during the "off season" if there is such a thing and not during the peak time of racing???

Also, is there still a certain weight requirement, like you have to weigh at least 120 lbs?

2004-10-07 10:43 PM
in reply to: #70403

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Browe79 - 2004-10-07 9:25 PM  So do you only donate during the "off season" if there is such a thing and not during the peak time of racing??? Also, is there still a certain weight requirement, like you have to weigh at least 120 lbs?

Yes, I avoid donating between May and September for sure, for all the reasons discussed above.  There is a cut off weight/height ratio - I am 5'6'' and 115 lbs, and was boarderline. They do have hr, bp, temp guidlines as well.

I guess I'm still wondering though about the relationship between fitness and donations - the more fit you are the lower the hr and bp generally, and she had to take my temp twice to make the 35. 8 C line - all of this is new since the tri training, hence the question.

2004-10-08 2:14 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Kudos to those who donate
I think that is cool. Unfortunately for me (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I actually cannot donate blood as my blood isn't "normal" enough to fit the parameters. My blood work is on the very low end of normal for enough areas (I guess) that my blood doesn't fit. However, I don't need to take any thyroid medication or anything like that, as I am still "normal." Go figure.

When I was able to donate, my arm would hurt for a day afterwards. When I am giving blood, I swear, I can actually feel the blood leaving my arm. It does take a while for your body to replenish the blood, so you don't want to do high intensity efforts for quite a while afterwards.

As part of tri-training your overall blood pressure goes down, which is good, but which also means that you don't bleed as fast as someone with higher blood pressure. I'm pretty sure that's the main reason why it takes longer for you to donate. Your body is getting more efficient, which means the blood is moving more slowly as your BP drops.
2004-10-08 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Sann:

I had the same problem the last time I donated, which was about 6 months ago. It actaully freaked me out a little since it took so long to fill the bag. Usually it only takes about 10 min to fill it, but the last time I went it took about twice as long. I think the person helping out was getting a little concerned since he kept coming over to check on me, asking me if my fingers were tingling...etc. I think part of the problem was I did it about 2 weeks after I ran my marathon, so I was in peak physical shape. I too have pretty low BP and a low RHR (low 40's). So I'm not sure if that was it or not. It's funny this question came up, because I was just thinking the other day I should start donating again, now that the off-season is here.

Chris
2004-10-08 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Here is a great article from VeloNews about the effects of donating blood on training. Worth reading.

http://www.velonews.com/train/articles/5265.0.html
2004-10-08 2:01 PM
in reply to: #70528

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
luv2ride - 2004-10-08 12:58 PM

Here is a great article from VeloNews about the effects of donating blood on training. Worth reading.

http://www.velonews.com/train/articles/5265.0.html

That's an informative article. Thanks.

2004-10-08 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
MA
I donate blood in the off season, probably about 2 times per year.

It is routine where I give to test for iron levels as well. One time I was turned away due to low iron.

I'm surprised that noone at the donation center could answer your questions. Really -- they should know! Did they give you a card with a number to call if you have problems? Maybe that is a way to find out.

Deb
2004-10-09 1:58 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Hey I guess training has made you so incredibly healthy that your blood pressure is minimized. Way to go, but don't pass out.

-dave
2004-10-09 10:08 AM

Veteran
Keller, TX

This came up last year . . . check out this thread

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1677&posts=9

I've been donating platelets, you know where they take out the blood, separate the platelets and then give you back the rest of it with some kind of 'solution'.  Doing this, you can donate every week if you want to, definitely every couple of weeks.  The solution they give you, though, can make you a little prone to cramping.  It kind of makes me grumpy for about a week - not sure why.

I think if you are deathly serious about your training, you probably don't want to give blood during race season, especially within a month of any 'A' races. 

As to why you 'bleed slower' - no clue here, but the same thing has happened to me.  Before I started tri-ing, I could pump out a bag in 8 minutes.  Now, it takes about twice as long when I do whole blood.  The platelets donations take me forever because I have trouble keeping up the 'draw' pressure.

2004-10-09 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Thanks for all the comments and links - I am rather facinated by biophysics and all the changes associated with training. 

Intriguing how many of us report slower bleeding times than in pre-training days, yet even after googling it, all I can find is information regarding how blood donations impact training and not vice versa .... hummm - research grants anyone???

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » donating blood Rss Feed